You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My First Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My First Ghost

 

The first time I ever saw a ghost, I had no idea it had happened because they were so "real". When I was 18 years old, my husband (then my boyfriend) used to deliver milk for a living. Before he got his own round, he used to cover other staff while they were on holiday. On a Saturday, I sometimes used to go out and help him.

One Saturday at 8.a.m. in August 1990, we were out on a normal milk round on a council estate. The road was mostly full of houses, but there were a few blocks of flats which were around three stories high. He sent me into one block with a few pints of milk to deliver the top floor while he went into the one next-door. I walked through the front door (which was heavy metal/glass and spring loaded to close by itself) and climbed the stairs. As I reached the third step, a little girl of around 6 or 7 years old with red hair, wearing a jade green sun-dress and bright green plastic shoes walked down and round the corner towards me. She looked at me and I went to say "Hello!" but for some reason I didn't do it.

Another strange thing that occurred to me afterwards is that there seemed to be quite a large space between us, even though the stair well was pretty narrow. As I got near to the top of the stairs, she looked up at me. As I put the milk bottles outside the flat, it suddenly occurred to me that 8 a.m. was a bit early for a small child to be wandering around on her own and also that I hadn't heard the front door of the building shut or any of the doors to the flats downstairs opened or closed. I hadn't heard any voices and no one came down to look for the child, which most parents would certainly have done.

I literally ran down those stairs looking for her. The little girl was not inside the building and she was not outside either because I looked up and down the road for her. I ran over to my husband, who had just got back to the milk float (delivery vehicle), in a bit of a panic and asked if he'd seen a little girl. He looked a bit surprised and then asked whether she had red hair and a green dress. Obviously, I agreed. What really freaked me out was when he asked if she'd come down the stairs when I got to the third step, if she'd looked at me, then looked up at me again when I got to the top and then disappeared round the corner. There was no way he could have known that, because he was inside the building next door at the time.

At the time, if several milk-men were on holiday, their rounds would be covered by rotor-men who would go out late at night to drop off the milk quickly. My husband then informed me that the girl had been seen at 1 am, 3 am and 6 am in the morning by different rotor men and had also been seen in the early hours by the regular milk man. Someone had got concerned about the child being allowed out so early and mentioned it to one of the residents, who replied that the child no longer lived there.

The story was that the little girl had been playing outside with her brother and had been accidentally killed by a milk-float (delivery vehicle). Since then, the little girl had regularly been seen or heard by milk men. It turned out that my husband sent me into the building knowing this, but had thought it might not affect me. Thank you very much! Apparently, he mentioned what had happened to the regular milk-man when he arrived back from holiday and the man turned a little pale.

I have never researched whether the story of the child's accident is true. However, I can honestly say that I know children do not disappear into thin air just like that! Needless to say, I stopped helping my husband deliver milk on a Saturday shortly afterwards!

Other hauntings by Elephant

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elephant, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-01)
Hello again, Elephant.
What your story proved was that things are not always as they appear. Were able to research this little girls former flat and the story that she may have been hit by a milk delivery person? I see that you wrote that you never did research it, but I was just wondering if you went back after posting this story and were able to. I was also wondering if anyone other than the milk delivery men saw this little girl. You said that a resident told you she no longer lived there, but does that mean that others saw her too? Thank you for a wonderfully written story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Hi Elephant, I have to apologize, I don't know how I got vicki's comment in with your story! You must have thought I was a little bit odd (or maybe a lot odd!) Sorry again!
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
i love that story I love that story I love that story I love that story it was realy wierd go to that place again and see if you see anything that that can prove its a ghost comment on my story the four shadows bye ❤ 😊 😉
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-21)
Hi vicki, it sounds like somebody was giving David a wake up call. It seems it worked!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-21)
Hi, Elephant! Really well told story, I must say. Do you think you and hubby may have a little red haired child coming to you in the future? That could be what that was all about, you never know! Or maybe she's just lonely and needed some attention. Thanks for writing and letting us share your story!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Wow. Well-written and quite compelling. Man, that's TWO great writers in one day on here! I'm spoiled!

Keep 'em coming, please!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I do hope that whatever has occured the child has gome on to find peace.

God Bless!
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Wow! Good story! That would've freaked me out too. You should definately research this story and find out if it is true. Obviously something happened there for you to have seen this little girl. Even if this particular story isn't true. If you do happen to find out anything let the rest of us readers know about it. Very interesting. I'll be marking this story as one of my favorites.
Elephant (3 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Hi Shane,
Unfortunately, at the age of 18 I was absolutely terrified by the notion of spirits or anything to do with stuff like that. If I'd have been warned in advance, I would not have gone into the building and there was no way I'd have gone back there at all, let alone with a camera! I didn't calm down about psychic matters, accept my gift or start to learn about the subject properly until I was in my mid-twenties. In fact, I used to live in dread of it happening again! My husband eventually took over the milkround himself, but never saw her again. He said that he used to hear a child's voice and the sound of a child playing, but that was it. Again, he wasn't overly interested in the supernatural at the time, so he just got on with the job.
Hopefully, she has moved on to somewhere peaceful now.
Sadly, that was the my first and only full colour physical manifestation. That's probably because it takes so much energy for spirits to achieve that. Normally, I see spirit people as transparent or as "images" in my mind.
Hopefully, my experience has entertained people.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Well Elephant at least you can say you have experienced a ghost first hand. Too bad your husband hadn't told you about that earlier or you could have maybe taken a camera along and tried to photgraph the little girl. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: