You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Flying Skull And Other Strange Occurances

Real Ghost Stories

Flying Skull And Other Strange Occurances

 

This is my first time submitting a paranormal experience, so bear with on the details. I'm a big believer of the paranormal and have had quite a few experiences throughout my life. This is just one of them that I'd like to share with you all.

This experience happened a little over four years ago now, I was 24 at the time and was due to complete my diploma in Journalism within a few weeks. It had been a pretty stressful year, but I was proud of my achievements. Two weeks before my graduation, I was in the unfortunate position of having to find a new place to live, due to a bad relationship at the time ending. I was pretty stressed on top of my last exams, but managed to secure a room a few streets away in a nice bungalow type dwelling.

This house was quite an old home in Petone (a suburb of Lower Hutt in the Wellington region). Built in 1910, it was a small three bedroom literally right next door to an arthouse cinema called The Lighthouse that was built in the 1930's. It was freezing cold all the time since there was no insulation. You had to always have layers on in that house and unfortunately I got quite sick numerous times while there as I eventually discovered black mould in my wardrobe.

Anyway, for the first few months everything seemed fine. There were three of us living in the house to begin with (the owner, a young Chinese woman rented out her two other rooms, one to me and another to a young woman, all of around the same age).

After a few months, the other flatmate left to find somewhere closer to her work, so up until I moved, there were just the two of us, the owner and I.

There were times when I would be at my desk in my room, typing away on my laptop, and I would feel like a breeze on the back of my neck. I didn't pay much attention at first, as the house was always cold. But after this happened on a few different occasions, it freaked me out a little, because it was so distinct. No windows or doors were open in the house. After the last time it happened (I was always alone in the house when it occurred) I just had to get out of the house and go for a walk to calm my nerves.

Things started to get a little stranger when the owner went on holiday overseas for a few weeks. Being the only one in the house while she was away was a little unnerving and I definitely felt uncomfortable at times being there on my own.

The owner's cat was a massively overweight tabby, and had its own massive cat pillow that used to always sit on the small bay window. Now this cat wasn't active much, and unlike most cats that go a bit mental running around from time to time, this cat didn't. So I found it strange what happened next...

One morning while the owner was still away, I woke up and opened my bedroom door (my room opened up directly into the lounge). I stopped in the doorway upon noticing that the cat pillow was now neatly placed in the middle of the lounge room floor, rather than the bay window that it always sat. I though this was odd, as the cat never moved anything about, and I would have heard the movements with my room being so close.

I shrugged it off and continued with the rest of my day. Now, I never gave any of these incidents much thought, but I did notice the way the cat would be looking strangely at nothing in the hallway even when you tried to get its attention. That spooked me a little knowing how animals can be more in tune with these things.

When my flatmate returned from overseas, nothing else happened for a while until one Sunday morning (and I remember this like it was yesterday). It was around 11am, neither of us had gotten up yet, but I did hear my flatmate head to the bathroom and back to bed again (you had to walk through the lounge and past my room to get there).

I was lying in bed reading, deciding when to get up and make a coffee. Now, at the time I had recently rearranged my room around so my bookshelf was now behind the door, directly in my eye view from where my bed was positioned. I have a love of skulls, so I have an assortment of large plastic looking skulls that I had sitting in various places around my room. One of these large glow in the dark skulls sat wedged between the middle tier roof and my books pretty tightly. It had sat there untouched for the duration of me living in that house, which at this point was about a year.

Next thing I see actually terrified and shocked me. As I lay in bed reading, my focus turned on my bookshelf at the very second this skull came flying out, as if someone had thrown it, and it then landed neatly next to my bed on the floor with the skull facing in the direction of the bookshelf. I was so shocked it took me a few minutes to try and comprehend what I had just seen. The noise was so loud, that my flatmate came into my room asking if I was ok.

Let me tell you now, that up until this incident I hadn't told her about anything that happened previous. She was highly superstitious and I didn't want to freak her out since she owned the house! But this was something I couldn't keep to myself. I wasn't sure if she believed me, but I think it definitely spooked her when I told her what had just happened.

After the skull incident, I was more than a little spooked, so I took it upon myself to call in a paranormal team that offered their services.

On the night the paranormal team came around, I told my flatmate who I was having come around and that she was welcome to stay for it if she wanted to. She chose to go out that night, so I think she was a little weirded out by it all.

The paranormal team were great and highly professional, doing EVP readings, etc. They had such a sound knowledge of the Petone area and it's older housing and foundations that I really felt at ease during their investigation. After a few hours, they concluded (all detailed in their real time report that I still have on USB) that they couldn't rule out possible activity, but they were also aware of it being such an old house with older wiring and the like. One of the group's members said he wouldn't be surprised if it were haunted, as Petone has a rich history of this, and in fact he lived down the street from my house many years before and experienced something paranormal. They were so fascinated as to the flying skull that the leader of the group offered me one of his ceramic skulls as a swap, so he could keep mine and do some further investigative work on it. Which I gladly accepted.

I can't remember how long it was after the investigation, but I didn't experience anything out the ordinary again for a while. My flatmate and I carried on with things as if nothing had happened, until she experienced something she couldn't explain.

It was a typical weekday night. A good friend of mine had left my place no more than ten minutes earlier after a movie in my room, and my flatmate was in her room. I should mention that because of being such an old house, both front and back doors (the only doors in and out of the house) had expanded over time so they were always difficult to close without the whole house rattling. Very annoying if you're still trying to sleep!

On this night, I was watching tv after my friend left and all of a sudden, my flatmate comes knocking on my door, terrified and looking like she actually had seen a ghost. I was really concerned because she really looked spooked, so I asked her what happened.

She told me didn't you see the lady? I said what lady? She said that no more than a minute or two ago a lady came into her room, asked my flatmate something and left again.

At this point, I'm almost in tears but trying to keep it together, because when I asked her what this lady was wearing, she said, some sort of cloak with feathers. My flatmate has broken English at times, but I understood what she had been trying to say. It would have been impossible for either of us to NOT hear the front or back doors open and close, so were both really confused and frightened at this incident.

After this happened, I did a bit of background research, trying to make sense of anything that had been going on. I stumbled upon an article dating back to 1896 about a greengrocer and his wife that had been murdered in their home/shop literally on the corner of our street. This spooked me a bit, was it a coincidence?

I moved out of that house a few months later.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dreadedcarnage, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
dreadedcarnage, I can't say whether it was a coincidence or not, but it you had found a picture of the grocers wife and shown it to your flatmate; she could have determined whether or not what she saw looked like that lady, or if it specifically was.
naughtyghost (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-30)
It gave me chills while reading. I am happy you left the house 😊
ashar123 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-28)
Its good that you took a right decision of leaving that house. You wrote that the house remained chilled. I have read somewhere that the haunted places always have low temperature.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-28)
Hi there Dreadedcarnage,

I think the lady's attire is a tip off here more than the article about the greengrocer and his wife.
Think about it; cloak with feathers, arthouse cinema circa 1930's, your place next door.
If the ghost lady has a connection to the location, my money's on the cinema.
I also wonder if that cinema was at some point a live theater and she one of the performers. Or an enthusiastic audience member. Going to the cinema or a live show was a big deal with reason to dress formal.

Do you know what she said to your housemate?

If someone was breathing on your neck while you worked it might not be threatening. They might have been reading what you were doing out of curiosity. I have a ghost that does this to me sometimes. Sometimes while reading on this site, which amuses me no end.

You mentioned one of the people you lived with was superstitious. If you had a skull in a particular position which went against a belief this could have prompted a ghost to remove it abruptly. May be a ghost connected to one of your housemates. A relative of theirs perhaps.

Just some ideas to kick around. Cool story:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: