You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: My Son Sees a Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Son Sees a Ghost

 

June. It's like 3 in the morning. It's ink dark in the house. I'm knocked out of a deep sleep by a scream.

This isn't the normal screaming I'm used to. This isn't "oh dear, I've stabbed myself with this kitchen implement!," Nor was it "Good Lord, that fecal expurgation was distressingly large and I fear that I may have torn something loose down there!" It was real fear. It was "I just saw a freaking ghost..."

I ran downstairs, my mind blank with concern, and found Connor standing in the dining room, all the lights on, wailing. I grabbed him, asking what was wrong, checking him for blood, automatically adding up his extremities. He was perfectly fine--and white as a sheet. I asked him what happened.

"I saw a ghost..."

Now my kids hate my inflexible stance on the paranormal, a stance immovable and fixed: it's one rung below noodling and NASCAR on the rung to true redneck Gothic stupidity and I don't buy it. I don't believe in:

* Psychics

* Bigfoot

* The Bermuda Triangle

* No Money Down Refi claims

* or ghosts

It just doesn't happen. As much as I enjoy reading about it, and as thrilling as it may seem, I think it's a big bucket of self aggrandizement and delusion and the precipice off which one can gape into the wide, wiggly valley of bonkerville.

That isn't to say I won't tell a good ghost story. I've turned entire ranks of Cub scouts into wild-eyed, wigged-out believers. I made them cry and beg me not to tell another story. I've had parents tell me maybe I ought to tell some jokes instead. I can lay into it.

And I've met men who've spent their lives in the pursuit of dignity and providence, men who are not easily shaken, men who would stare down the barrel of a gun. They were the kind of guys you vote for. Pillars of character. And they told me they'd seen a ghost. Yet I don't buy it. I just don't.

But I'm closer now than I ever have been. If I shield my eyes and squint, I can barely see the idea of ghosts being real--like trying to make out the opposite shore of a long lake. I'm closer not because of Connor's recent scare. I'm closer because of my dog.

Connor didn't want to talk about what happened that night. He came upstairs and slept fitfully between me and my attorney. The next day Connor explained that he'd looked out his bedroom door and seen a face looking around the door jamb, then jerk back out of sight. He said he saw it then he screamed. I told him it was probably just part of a dream that got mixed up with some night time noise and not to worry about it and he bought it. Or seemed to.

But several months later. Yesterday, actually, out of nowhere, he told me what happened. We're driving back from downtown, just the two of us, and he tells me this version.

He says he woke up because Ty (the dog) was whining. He sat up in bed and Ty was standing next to the bed looking out the door, stock still. Connor looked up and saw a person dressed in nice clothes with white hair pulled back. He said they looked into his room and seemed amused. Connor said the dog backed up.

Connor said it took him a long time to scream. He said he had to make it happen. Then he said he screamed for a long time before I got there. (Of course, the sister never woke up.)

I've told you before our dog is gay and I mean that in a good way. Our gay friends know how to nurture--and Ty is no exception. When Connor gets hurt, Ty is all over him, tail wagging like crazy, licking and nudging, as if he's saying "It's all right, you'll be ok, don't worry, look I'm licking you. Everything is good. Lick lick lick"

But when I raced downstairs to deal with the screaming, when I skidded into the dining room and found Connor too afraid to come upstairs or go back in his room, the thing I forgot until yesterday is this: Ty's tail was dragging the floor and he was standing with his furry butt backed-up to the window and he was not happy. He was as far away from the hallway bathroom and he could get, still as a statue--looking over my shoulder.

Now perhaps Connor enjoyed a delusional moment of heightened and sudden neuroses. Maybe a moth flew into his room. Maybe nothing happened and he just had a dream. But the dog? Ty does nothing but wag his tail, lick people, and run around trying to figure out where we're going to walk next. He never stands still. Ever. Even when he's in STAY he's twitching and sweeping the floor with his tail, and smiling and panting and drooling all over himself. But this time--nothing. Backed up against the wall, afraid of the bathroom.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Chris Garlington, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

LillyPieLindsay (35 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-14)
Ok I know this story is quite old and I apologize for commenting on it, but I'm wondering what the OP meant when he said his son got scared and spent the rest if the night sleeping with him and his attorney. It just seemed like such an odd detail... Do attorneys normally spend the night at the houses of clients? Or was the OP and attorney up and working at this time and the son just slept by them anyway?

I realize its irrelevant but just struck me as odd.
ParanormalSpectrum (3 stories) (26 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
SO let met get this straight. You believe a DOG who is an animal and a pet but your own flesh and blood who saw this as well you ridicule? I understand that animals have a heightened sense of seeing things but really? Your SON saw something that scared the living daylights out of him and you disregard that but a dog who's got his rear against a wall is what you believe? Okay, am I getting Punk'd here? If I were to tell my mother that I saw a ghost she would believe me in a heart beat. As for the remark about ghost believers being "one rung below noodling and NASCAR on the rung to true redneck Gothic stupidity" well I guess I'll wear that title proudly thank you very much. It's one thing to say that you don't believe, it's another to ridicule others beliefs.
chrisnos (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
Good story, well written, funny, but more importantly I believe it to be true.
There's detail about the person/spirit, and clearly animals seem to sense before we do.
Shane (previous poster), it would seem that science is not too far off understanding how these things work. There is a great deal of interesting work on consciousness eg stuart hameroff MD who can offer explanation. I believe 100%, but only in the last 2 years of my 42 year exisitance. I am not afraid to die, although I'm not big on pain, and if we only open that (third) eye, we would see a lot more.
My son sees dead people too.
suec (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
i don't think that should have been posted there are so many better things we could be reading I think that it was all made up and just a dig at people who do believe and if it wasn't made up made up then I to feel sorry for your son 😢
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-27)
I am going to pretend that was a Freudian slip there and I meant to say that we CAN all be superior 😆
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-27)
AND THE CROWD SAID...
Sorry about that, I slipped into somewhere else there. I forgot to mention that I like Nascar too. So I guess that makes me hanging on for dear life to that ladder of redneck, gothic stupidity. Oh well, we can all be the superior ones. I kind of like it here. 😜
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-27)
Thank you Chris for a very well written story but unfortunately I do not believe that one word of it is true. In my opinion it was your attempt to make yourself feel more intelligent, by trying to feed us "dimwitted idiots" that do believe in something more than science, a totally made up story. You did this in hopes we would fall for it, while you are somewhere laughing your head off at us. It didn`t work.

Martin, if you think that this post is to harsh or uncalled for feel free to delete it.

FRAWIN 😐
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-27)
Hello Chris,
Welcome to our side.
Often times when we are opposed to something very strongly a brick wall will appear out of no where and make us rethink our reasons for opposition. Well, a wall or a dog. Is is possible to believe a family dog over your own mixture of flesh and blood?
You do not believe in ghosts and you have a minuscule view of those who believe there could be something out here that science can not back up. There are so many unanswered questions in the world and so many conflicting ideas as to why. What could your answer to those things be?
The hardest part of this story for me to believe is how you could totally discount everything your son has gone through. If you have no patience for those who believe, do you also have no patience for what he believes in?
How sad for a child to have to grow up knowing his Daddy does not believe in him.
Thanks for the story anyway.
geodude (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-25)
Chris,
Thanks for sharing your son's ghostly experience. I have a couple questions and a comment. 1) How or why did your son go in the dining room? If the ghost was outside his room why did he leave? 2) Why did the dog seem afraid or wary of the bathroom? Did Connor indicate that the ghost had gone into the bathroom?
My comment is concerning your writing style. While very descriptive, it just seems that your style is forced and that while you are claiming to have been somewhat swayed by the dogs behavior, your story telling style still does not seem to indicate this. Everything in your story seems to be making fun of the events. My advice is stick to the facts, and don't mention feces unless it is part of the experience.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-24)
I'm sorry but that was, well, bad! I feel like one of your Cub Scouts saying, "Pleeease NO MORE STORIES"! 😆

Alright, now that I got that out I'll just say why did you even go looking on the internet for ghost stories or to even post them if you don't believe in them? Anyway, I really don't have anything else to say.

Have a great day!=p
BornToBeWiccan (4 stories) (11 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-24)
wow great story but really hard for me to understand I had to keep looking up words on dictionary.com but awesome story anyways lol
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Best written story I've ever seen on here, hands-down. What an excellent story. I believe every bit of it, whether it's actually true or not! That's the power of perfect prose.

Updates, please!
Sorcha (59 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Hi Chris,
You have not a lot of compassion for your son. He clearly was scared witless! Might I suggest you sleep in his room for a while ;) just in case.
xx
haleybug (10 stories) (89 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
wow you could have put your condescending comment about people who do believe in a more polite way or just kept it to your self. Just beacause we believe in ghosts that does not make us any of the rude things you said. I feel sorry for your kid and dog they suffer beacaues of you. 😐
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Why post a story on here if you are not going to participate at all?

I hope Connor and Ty are fairing better.

God Bless!
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Dear Chris and Readers,

I realized that my last post may have been a bit hard on the author. Truthfully, I feel the author, Chris was more focused on the "writing" of the story than focused on the effects the experience had upon the child and dog. It is my belief, a parent is a caretaker of another soul who guides and teaches by example. There were other condescending things within the story that got my dander up too. Frankly for me, the story went downhill from there. I am sure it was written with such results in mind. Bravo for the author, but pitifully, sorrowful for the child and dog.

Bless the Beasts and Children for in this world they have no voice, they have no choice, but I shall be one who speaks out for all of them whenever I can, Abby ❤

P.S. Please dear author, Chris at least take time to re-think your true reason for writing this story, and your true belief behind it. Thank you.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Dear Chris,

Sorry, this story does not stand a ghost of a chance in my "Short Stories, Squeal, Not Real and Scroll to the Bottom" book, as there is no ghost who will participate in a haunting discussion.

Missing in Action:

-1 Ghost and -1 Author= No Discussion.

Minus my -2 cents, Abby 😆
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Ah Chris, many people have stated that they do not believe only to have their world turned upside down. What is the harm in the belief that there could be some thing more after death than just worms, dirt and nothingness. Science can nither prove nor disprove the paranormal at least not yet. Religion doesn't hold all the answers. Yet you seek answers and you are telling your story to a bunch of complete strangers who for whatever reasons believe that there is some thing more. It affects people of all walks of life, no matter what their religion, sex, age, or nationality. People have been reporting paranormal events since the dawn of time and yet science refuses to believe that it is possible. Now you are starting to become a believer because of your dog. Well, animals and small children do see and hear things we as adults often attribute to some thing completely different. Because their minds haven't been polluted by the judgements of society. We are taught that it is our imagination or a piece of lint in our eye or any number of things, other than the paranormal. No harm in believing that some thing more could await us on the other side of the veil. Welcome to the club, price of membership, just an open mind. Thanks for sharing your son's experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: