You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: House May Be Occupied By Something Other Than The Living

Real Ghost Stories

House May Be Occupied By Something Other Than The Living

 

It has been several months since I posted a story about our shed. At the time I wasn't exactly what you would call a believer of the paranormal, but we were rattled to say the least and I was willing to try anything. I performed the cleansing rituals that were suggested for our home and shed. I hope they worked, but only time will tell. I would like to thank all those who offered the helpful suggestions.

Ever since then I have been reading up ALOT about the paranormal. It has almost become an obsession. I have been conscious to always keep an open mind, and so I researched and read articles/stories from both believers and skeptics. I spoke to friends and "experts" on the subject and watched many video clips and TV shows. I must add that from my perspective, both sides have very convincing arguments. I don't claim to know a lot about the paranormal, but I certainly have a much healthier respect for the topic now.

Since I opened the door so to speak to the paranormal world, I now wonder if I may have experienced some things which could be classed as paranormal. Is it this new interest in the paranormal that has sparked these experiences or I am subconsciously creating these things in my head? They are just small things, but things nonetheless. I have tried as best to debunk these experiences but in some cases just cannot come up with a logical solution.

The first of these experiences happened while I was visiting a friend one night. My wife Claire and I used to joke about his house being haunted. We didn't actually believe that it was, but it did tick all the right boxes for traditionally being a haunted house. It was old, made strange sounds, had an eerie feeling to it, some rooms were colder than others etc. However all these things are quite easily explained away.

It was late one night and my good friend and I stayed up enjoying a few drinks and talking about fishing (this is our passion). I would have been over the limit to drive home so he offered me his downstairs spare room and I gladly accepted. When I was ready for bed I made my way downstairs to sleep. As I was about to enter the room something compelled me to stop in my tracks. I wasn't scared, but for an unknown reason I did not want to go into that room. I know it sounds irrational, but I just did not have the will to step through the threshold.

As I stood at the doorway, I heard a distant whisper in my head hissing over and over "Get out, get out". I promptly decided that that was indeed excellent advice and backed away from the doorway. The whisper stopped as soon as I reached the bottom of the stairs. With no other alternative, I went back upstairs and ended up sleeping on the couch in the living room that night.

The next morning my friend was a little surprised to see me on the couch. I didn't really make a big deal about it, and just blamed it on the booze. I didn't want to tell him about what happened as I wasn't really sure myself and didn't want him to think that I was a crackpot.

On another more recent occasion, I was popping in to drop off an angle grinder that I had borrowed. My friend wasn't home but one of his garage doors was open so I decided to leave it on the workbench for him. His is a fairly safe neighborhood so I deemed it appropriate to do so.

My friend has a small gym set-up in his garage. It's really just a bench-press with some weights and dumbbells. He has a double garage and the gym is set-up on one side, and he normally parks his car on the other side. After placing the angle grinder on the workbench I turned to leave, and on my way out I looked over in the direction of his bench-press. I was curious to see how much he was lifting. There was a 20kg weight (What a wuss! Just jokes!) at each end of the bar, and the bar was resting on the stand.

Just as my eyes were about to move from the direction of the weights, I noticed a slight movement from the weight closest to me. It looked like it started to rotate on the bar. I took a second look and sure enough it was rotating ever so slowly. I can remember seeing the words on the weight slowly turning round. I took two steps towards it to take a closer look and the movement stopped. Although it wasn't spinning fast to start with, it was an abrupt stop. At the time I shrugged off with little thought and continued on my way.

Just the other day, my friend revealed to Claire and I that he suspected his house may be occupied by something other than the living. He describes moving shadows, lights turning on in the night, unmanned footsteps and voices. It wasn't until he brought this up that I told him about my experiences.

He admitted that he has also felt the presence of something in the downstairs room, and so wasn't surprised to find me sleeping in his living room. My experience only served as a confirmation for his suspicion.

I find myself constantly wondering whether there really is something in that house. I'd like to think that I am a rational person, but just can't get my head around it. I can still remember the whisper and how it sounded in my head. It was not a noise that I was hearing with my ears, but inside my head. So did I imagine it? Was the spinning weight just a gravitational anomaly? Is it because I have started reading about this subject that my imagination is running wild on me? Or have these things always happened and it's just now that I've taken notice and know what to look for? By showing an interest in this subject have I opened a door which I now will never be able to close again?

What do you think?

Other hauntings by Sake

 

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sake, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-06-19)
Greetings, Sake.

(First, I'm going to apologize for using asterisks, but there is no "underline" or "italics" option when commenting on a YGS narrative.)

I think that the key issue here is that you thought something was strange about your friend's house *before* you began to question your assumptions of the paranormal. Yes, you made jokes, but that's what people do when there is something which does not fit with their schemata for how reality functions; jokes relieve tension by turning the awkward situation into harmless, sociable conversation. This would indicate that, on a subconscious level, you were aware of *something* just beyond your normal perceptions.

It's a bit like being lost in a strange city and thinking, "if I take a right at this next traffic light, I'll be headed toward the hotel, because it's south of this street." You have no way of confirming that without checking your GPS while driving, but your brain has processed information, such as your memory of the map, time of day, the location & angle of the sun, distance you've driven on this street, etc., and has put together a reasonable broad analysis while acknowledging that it lacks all the details. You might make a joke of the inconvenient hints at the paranormal which you had been trying to ignore on a rational level, just as taking the right at the junction may reveal the hotel; in each case, you let out a light laugh: "that was funny" or "that was lucky." Certainly it doesn't add up, so your brain finds it amusing instead.

Do NOT be alarmed by the idea that you're now finding more experiences (or jumping to irrational conclusions), because it seems to me that you aren't; you're just not dismissing the inexplicable events as you had in the past.

Being aware of paranormal events or evidence does NOT automatically mean you're slipping into senility or going 'round the bend; as a rational person, you need to look at each event and ask, "is there a logical explanation for this?" Some cold spots in old houses are caused by poorly-insulated window frames, chinks in the siding due to settling, or a complete lack of direct sunlight in one corner of the room. If your shed door is acting up, check the forecast for strong breezes or see if local rodentia have been attacking the hinges. When you CAN'T discredit what you see/hear/feel, just trust your instincts: we didn't evolve this far by completely ignoring the autonomic nervous system's "fight or flight" response to peculiar stimuli.

Not every surprise should evoke terror, nor should everything inexplicable be considered dangerous. (I'll admit that I'd have called an exorcist in to visit your shed, then burned it to the ground and removed the ashes; however, it is not my shed.) A majority of "haunting" activities and "paranormal" events which are not explained by rational means are still harmless: annoyingly irrational, but harmless.

As an agnostic, I don't always have a comfortable time reconciling my past experiences with my worldview, but just because an event is out of the ordinary, it doesn't mean that demonic gremlins are hiding under every shrub around the patio. "Paranormal" simply means "close to, near, contrary to, or against" + "normal."

I do hope that my rambling has been somewhat reassuring.

Best,

-Biblio
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-06-18)
Hi Sake,

I was very pleased to see another story from you, I remember your shed experience well and sometimes wondered how you were getting on.

Also I must praise you for your skepticism, research and general attitude to the paranormal. You can see things from both perspectives, believer and non-believer. This is very healthy in my opinion.

Unfortunately there's no one size fits all check list for paranormal vs physical explanations. It's a trial and error we all go through, and continue to go through no matter how experienced we become.

For me though, when a possible paranormal experience is backed up by someone else it leans me more toward supernatural end of the spectrum.

I also think your suspicions are correct in that paranormal activity is everywhere already, regardless of if someone is a believer or not. That you, after considering and researching the topic, now understand some of the language, for lack of a better word. Language, because it feels like learning to decipher, receive and send communications using an unnatural lexicon. At least unnatural in the socially acceptable sense.

I also love reading your comments to this story and I can imagine how everything paranormal would have negative connotations, thanks to social conditioning etc. I was lucky to be raised with both the good and bad side of the paranormal. Some bad experiences of mine have turned out to be well intended. It can sometimes take years to work this out.

Also I agree with Miracles, the voices are, rather frighteningly, something that goes with the territory. Very annoying however because voices also smack of mental illness. As do most other supernatural events. Which makes us, and society as a whole, cast doubt on everything. With a bit of research and learning to read between the lines there is 'proof' to be found. Only by trial and error and learning to understand that unnatural language. Or learning to 'unlearn' our social conditioning.

On the topic of positive ghost encounters I have had many a terrifying experience with one ghost who I've since come to love and respect. But not without a lot of trial and error, make that years. I'm glad I stuck at it and wouldn't change the terrifying misunderstandings we've had, 'cause I can look back on them and have a giggle.

One of my friends was a homicide detective for many years. He's now retired. In his time on homicide he experienced quite a few paranormal events. Some were shared experiences, with other law enforcement personnel present. He was never a big believer in the paranormal and never gave the subject much thought before these experiences. Now he believes that this sort of thing happens more frequently than people on the force are willing to admit. For if someone brings up such an event there's a huge possibility that person would be labeled with PTSD. He says, because of the fear of having a PTSD label, all exploration of the paranormal becomes stunted and people never talk about their encounters. Regardless of who was present and experienced the same thing at the same time. Unfortunately it's an area which he now believes is full of unspoken ghost encounters.

One more thing before I go. My hubby and I have a bizarre theory that ghosts sleep. I know that sounds crazy. But we've both seen ghosts in a resting/sleeping position. One ghost sleeps in our spare room sometimes. So I wondered if your message to 'get out' of your friend's spare room was so this ghost could sleep where he/she wanted to. Perhaps an old resident of the house. The word usage 'get out' reminded me of a moody teenager. I'm not guessing that it *is* a moody teenager. But this is the sort of possibility which will help you react more rationally. Instead of jumping on the fear conclusion. Really, truly evil encounters are very rare in my experience. Most are misunderstandings made worse by frustrated ghosts and petrified living people. Then there's the bored idiot ghosts who reek havoc for fun. But are easy to get rid of. Seldom are paranormal events *truly* negative. In the same way that most people are good willed, most ghosts and other entities are as well. Just most of us don't know how to communicate with each other at first.
Sake (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-18)
babygoatpuller - Thank you for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed my stories.

I am in denial as it is much easier than trying to process something that I cannot understand. As they say ignorance is bliss!

However, I think you may be right and it's time I stopped being such a baby about these things!
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
I don't think it's your imagination running wild on you Sake. I think it's your mind opening up to more possibilities that you were closed to.

Being more open now to the "impossible" is naturally going to get you to pay closer attention to what's going on around you.

Healthy scepticism is important and debunking is imperative. Once you've ruled everything else out, you're left with having to accept the "impossible".

It's really not so scarey as you might think. Fear is a strong emotional energy and if you can find a way to get past that, accepting comes a lot easier.

I really enjoyed both your experiences and do look forward to reading more of them.
Sake (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-16)
Miracles51031 - Thank you for reading my story and commenting. The comment about being rational stems from the fact that these occurrences scare me and to me a fear of something I cannot touch or feel (and perhaps run away from) seems irrational.

I never thought to think of these things as helpful, and I struggle with the idea. To me the paranormal still has negative connotations. Most likely caused by media and social conditioning. In the stories they are seldom helpful, but I guess a helpful ghost just isn't as scary (or profitable).

However, I will try to remember this should I experience anything else unusual. Although I'm torn between fear and not wanting to experience anything else and curiosity and wondering whether there really is more than I've always been told.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-16)
Sake - thanks for another interesting story 😊 One thing you have to realize is rational and experiencing the paranormal are two completely different things 😆 Seriously, though, the whisper you heard in your head is a normal thing. At least paranormally speaking. I have come to listen very closely when they (whomever they really are) speak.

And as for the weight moving around, that also is perfectly believable. Maybe the weights were being moved around to make it easier for you to see the weight amount. (I know I'm not saying that right but I don't lift weights LOL) I've had things rearranged so it was easier for me to count them, so to me this makes perfect sense.

Maybe your experiences with your shed have opened your eyes a little bit more to other things. I am looking forward to reading other experiences you may have and would like to share with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: