You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Our Little Bungalow

Real Ghost Stories

Our Little Bungalow

 

This is my very first story so please bear with me. To start out my husband (M), 8 year old son (D) and I are all sensitive to the paranormal. Me and my son talk about our experiences together, and are open to the spirit world. I'll post those stories later. M is a little more guarded when it comes to ghosts due to his own negative encounters as a child.

In January we were given the opportunity to take over the payments of his dad's house since he was moving out of state. I have loved this house since I first laid eyes on it, and lived in it for a few months when my husband and I were dating. It's located in the older part of town nestled in with grand Victorian mansions. It was built in 1921 and never really had anything of note happen in its history that I could find.

Our Little Bungalow

Our first night here it was around 11 and our son was sound asleep in his room, and we were in our room unpacking. I started in hear what sounded like my son running around in the dining room. So naturally I go out to see why he's up. But everything was still, I check his room and like I said, he's sound asleep. I looked in on the animals that were locked back room that connects the kitchen and the basement thinking they got out. But both of them were still there on the landing and the door was locked tight. This happened a few more times before stopping completely.

Months go by without incident, June comes and our son goes up to my folks' house out of state for the summer. I'm sitting in the the living room playing a vg when I hear this clicking coming for my right. Now, I love collecting Asian antiques and have a corner hutch there full of them. The hutch has two gifts my father-in-law gave to me before he left. An old 1941 Ouija board and a Chinese figure he claims is over 2,000 years old. I know the risk of having the Ouija board, but it is cleansed on a regular basis and no one in the family has used it. The thing that really creeps me out is the figure. It's a clay or porcelain woman with hollowed out eyes and mouth. But back to the story, this noise happened everyday at 11:11a and 1:11a and we couldn't find the cause. The only entity we felt keeps to themselves in the basement, and have never felt them come up the stairs.

One night 2 weeks ago my husband is up watching TV. He noticed the time was 1:10a and sat still watching the hutch intently. According to him a little blue jar with a broken lid shook making that sound we had been hunting for. The next morning he told me and I was shocked. We decided to fix the lid that instant. As I put the jar back in the hutch, I asked the statue to stop moving things in there and it did.

Now things have amplified in the house. Last week we had to leave to pick up our son, the trip took 3 days total. The night after we arrived home it was around 3:30 and M and I were finally relaxing in bed listening to the storm in the distance when we heard a loud crash. M sprang into action, checking on D and in every room for the source. We sat there trying to 'oh it was just the storm' but it definitely came from inside the house and there was no flash of lightning. It happened one more time but now the vibe has changed in the house.

I am uncomfortable alone in the house, like I'm being watched but I can't sense from where. I've never encountered this before, it honestly frightens me a bit. I'm sorry for this being so long just wanted to share.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ohthatsfreaky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-27)
I know this post is coming ridiculously 'after the fact' but I just wanted to give a HUGE THUMBS UP to Tweed's advice in the very first post for this account! My training is in archaeology and I have always felt very protective of artifacts of the past and it made me so happy to see someone so eloquently providing a reasoned case for their preservation in these situations. ❤ ❤ ❤

To the author, it sounds like you have a very interesting collection and, moreover, an interesting house! (I am a sucker for vintage architecture too!) It does seem as though something wants your attention. I have no 'gut feeling' as to whether it's good bad or just residual though. Have you let your pets into the house and kept an eye on their behavior - animals can be quite perceptive to paranormal activity. Your father-in-law's ex wife would be interesting to speak with too regarding the house's wandering woman - but given the 'ex' status, I understand that might be difficult.

With regard to the little statue - shelbyloree's comment combined with your own regarding its possible identification as a funerary item sparked an idea - perhaps during that same occupied era, a Western tourist nicked it off of a grave and that's why it's shipping up a bit of tumult. I can recall several accounts where questionably attained Egyptian funerary artifacts have caused similar problems. Then there is Elgin's comment about such dolls being shells intended for the deceased spirit - I am unfamiliar with these traditions but they do seem to have ancient Egyptian parallels- perhaps the wandering lady was the individual on whose grave the doll was originally placed.

However, as Tweed also said, the little statue might just be a lovely somewhat creepy looking object and have nothing at all to do with what's going on. I think the jar is in the clear too - old homes in old neighborhoods have really strange... I know there's a proper term for this but it's not coming to me... Wiggle points... The boards are old and each one warped a little in its own way, the walls are just as old, the foundations have all settled a bit in one direction and/or another leading to the darnedest knocks and thumps and places that shiver and shake at the merest provocation causing whatever is on them to rattle even ever so slightly. My mother used to have a china cabinet with a little figurine in it that would 'dance' whenever a large truck hit a pot hole just right on the main road four blocks away!...and nothing else in the cabinet was ever effected...

In any event, a good cleansing or shelbyloree's cleaning with solid intent couldn't hurt and putting the little statue in a nicely cleansed display to both protect it and show it off couldn't hurt either. Maybe have a psychic tour the house and see what they pick up - they may be able to give you some leads that could be further researched. And, again, keep an eye on your pets' reactions. Sounds like, from Tweed's comment, you may want to look into having the little figurine insured as well.
Pandora_PDX (23 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-14)
That figure is off the hook gorgeous. Just wow. The most priceless antique I own, is a Mayan shamans belonging from the 12th century. It's a small, broken off clay head. Same color of clay as yours. It was once 1 of 3 heads, on top of a bowl that was used for rituals and held blood. Friggin awesome lol. That figure of yours is something tho... I can seriously tell just by looking at it. I promise you.
Also, do you think your grandma is trying to say hello, since the jar was hers? Have a blessed day. 😊
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
No worries Red! Here's Hecate's story with an update in the comments:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22196
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Thanks Tweed like I said sleep deprivation. I feel bad that I forgot it was Hecate that wrote the story and feel worse that things are going bad.
Regards
Red
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Tweed the only reason I gave her that advice is because she said the figurine creeps her out. If it gives her comfort in doing this what's the harm? Also if she does put it back on her dining room table it will be an ornate way of showing it and also a wee bit of protection from getting it knocked over.
Regards
Redemption
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
I'm sorry Tweed I must have you confused with someone else who's son had a bad entity attached to him. I've got sleep deprovation because of the new puppy Kaia. She has to have company or she'll chew on the chairs. Although my dogs have started to accept her she can be too much for the 11 &13 year old dogs so my son and I take turns sleeping on the couch.
As for you not being a parent I have no problem with that. I know several people who don't have or want kids and I respect that decision.
Regards
Red
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Oh man I knew this would happen...Everyone's getting scared of that figure.

Guys, I only brought up the figure of the lady because I have a hunch I know what it is. *If* I am right, some dodgy antique dealer could rip Ohthatsfreaky off; BIG TIME. I wanted to warn against that. I have a feeling this statue is either a priceless piece of history or worth a bucket load of money. This is the only reason I brought it up and I just KNEW ya'll would find conspiracies about it being haunted and possessed! Too many scary movies and not enough attention to paid to detail!

To all who are hinting at possessed objects:
Re-read the story, you're missing the point! Stop getting stuck on my piece of NON-PARANORMAL ADVICE! See what I said in my first comment, NON-PARANORMAL ADVICE! Ya'll are chasing a carrot.

Ohthatsfreaky, I'm sorry this has derailed and that everyone's jumping on the wrong detail. It's my fault for being obsessed with antiques, and watching too many antique shows! 😳
ohthatsfreaky (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Thank you all for your support and help with this.
I'm going to do another cleansing this week when my sons at school.

Red that's a great idea, thank you! I'm on the hunt for a case.

Champion
We've only had the bathroom painted, but that was 2 weeks ago. The statue was moved from it original place in the dining room to the hutch in the living room to keep curious hands away... But I might move it back to the dining room. That's where she sat for 10 years, and my son knows not to touch it.

After asking my father in law and doing my own research I've learned that it could be a Haniwa. A clay statue that was placed on a burial mound to ward of evil spirits during the 4th century. He said it was a gift from a Japanese woman he used to know. She left it to him in her will when she passed. It was one of the few possessions she brought with her to the states.

I'm still waiting for a response from a few antique dealers to help authenticate it. I'll try to upload a picture. 😊
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Hi, creepy things getting worse sounds bad! Since the move have you done any remodeling? Spirits are known to become restless if the home is changed in some way. It could be that because you are all sensitive it wants attention. If you have a haunted object that was introduced to the home that already has a spirit residing in it It is possible they do not want the other one there. You might want to discuss it with your husband and son away from the home so the spirits don't here you talking about them, especially if it wants attention. Just be careful until you figure out a gameplan on how to deal with it. Research and heed advice from Rook,granny,red,miracles to name a few and keep us updated as new clues could lead to an answer from someone who knows how to deal with it. I strongly suggest family meetings once a week away from the house, maybe dine out or go for a stroll to discuss happenings. Keep a journal for reference. I hope your family is fine and you get this resolved ASAP.

Strength and Courage,
Champion
Elgin (5 stories) (35 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Hi ohthatsfreaky! Read your story and it freaks me out a bit since a doll is involved.

A possible reason for the haunting could be the Asian Doll. Asian dolls were meant to be a shell which a soul can possess and according to your father-in-law its at least 2000 years old. If my memory serves me right, if a doll reaches 100 years old it becomes alive and becomes aware of itself and its surroundings.

Thanks for sharing! ^_^
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Ooooh Red you mean Hecate! She's updated her story, he's still not too good I'm afraid. 😢

Sorry about this Ohthatsfreaky! I would do some more cleansing at your home. It'll really help calm the energy and you'll be able to tell what you're dealing with, good or bad presence, based on the outcome of the cleansing/shielding.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
umm? Red I'm not a parent, it's not my cup of tea. Umm yeah, wired differently here. I umm, keep this to myself because, well, people take offense. When there's none intended. So please don't bash the non-parent. 😳
I'm familiar with the great Gaia but am completely lost on what you're asking. 😕 Sorry!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
ohthatsfreaky

I agree with Tweed you should do a cleansing/shielding method. A member named Rookdygin has a method that many people on here have used with great success. You may have to do it more than once to make sure it takes effect. Another thing I could advise is to find a glass lid that fit snugly into a wood base that is big enough to hold the Chinese figurine. Cleanse both glass and base as you would your O.B. And put the figurine inside. This way if this figurine is the culprit it's contained.

Shelbyloree

I have 4 Mandalas the first one I bought I made sure that it was made by Native Americans because in N.Y. It's against the law to sell N.A. Art what is not made by N.A.s. Unfortunately not all states have this law. They are all beautiful and my two favorites are the one my son bought for me with wolves and my second favorite is a wolf looking in the water and it's reflection is an Indian Squaw.

Tweed
How is your son doing? Did you try the method I told you about asking Gaia for protection? If so how has that worked for you/him?
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
I say go with what you know on the cleaning bit. I've had the best luck with just washing the windows, floor, ceiling, and walls with the intent of getting rid of stagnant energy. The intent is important, the fancy bells and whistles are just that.

If you haven't had a problem with the Asian things previously, then something in the house may not like them. Taste is personal, and ghostly racism (think 1880's-1920's imperialism) is highly possible.

If that statue has always given you the creeps, it may be time for it to have its own case away from the other things. Then it can have its own area and will quit using the other pieces to annoy you. If the jar keeps moving, it may be something else.

Living for a while in Arizona, I am very familiar with the touristy kachina dolls the Hopi make and sell to folks passing through. FYI, those are not kachinas in the traditional sense. They are manufactured specifically for tourists, more often than not created with high doses of negativity. Kachinas are traditionally circles, like the sun or moon, and are represented in nature as clouds. This figurine may have been made with similar negative intentions, I don't know.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Wow tweed your comment is really worth to read... I am pretty much agree with tweed... 😁
ohthatsfreaky (1 stories) (3 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Hi Tweed.

Thank you for commenting. I've only cleansed the house once when we first moved in but didn't even consider sheilding. The blue jar is a trinket that sat in my grandmothers house for years. My mom and dad gave it to me when they were cleaning out her house after she moved to Minnasota in 2011. It broke as soon as I brought it home and I just was lazy on fixing it. She past away peacefuly in 2013, but I never had a problem with it moving before.
My father in laws ex wife was constantly talking about the lady that walked around the house. He wouldn't admit to seeing anything, but when he was the only one living here he started hanging crucifixus in every room and kept a bundle of white sage in the dinning room. As for the time M always tells me that is when something weird will happen around him that he can't explain.
I've talked to one dealer but they were more interested in buying it then letting me know what it was. I could never destroy a piece of history like that. I believe people who do that are ignorant. If it ever got to the point that I couldn't handle it I would donate it to a museum.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Hi there Ohthatsfreaky, I really love your name!

Firstly, my husband collects ouija boards and like you keeps them cleansed, we don't use them either. He's never had any problems with them, some of them are antiques. So I can attest that proper storage and cleansing of those will bring no problems.

Onto the blue trinket which shook at 11:11 and 1:11. Just going by the chronological details, it seems to me that whoever is responsible is frustrated you 'fixed' their communication device. Hence the crash when you got home. This coincides with you feeling uncomfortable in the home. Perhaps you are picking up on this individual's annoyance/frustration.

You're obviously familiar with cleansing, but do you shield yourself and your home too? Have you talked to your Father in-law about this, did he experience anything? If this is a touchy topic with him, perhaps ask him what he normally did at the two times this ghost likes to muck about with the blue jar. What is the significance of the blue jar to you and/or your husband?

Regarding that possibly ancient statue of yours. Bit of non-paranormal advice here, track down an antique expert or take this statue to a museum for an expert opinion.
If anyone on this website tells you to bury it, burn it, smash it, or otherwise destroy it because it's haunted, this is grossly negligent advice delivered by an idiot which could see you destroying a priceless piece of history. If it's haunted, it can be cleansed, safely, without damage.
The reason I bring all this up is this; imagine if all the Egyptian artifacts were destroyed because they were haunted. Imagine if the Sistine Chapel were haunted and needed 'burning'. Get my point? 😉

Please do look into home cleansing and shielding. If this ghost is well intended, and just frustrated, a cleansing and shielding won't exactly get rid of them, but it may subdue them temporarily. I would ask your Father in-law about this too.

Thanks for sharing with us and take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: