You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Noise In The Alley

Real Ghost Stories

The Noise In The Alley

 

First of all, I'd like to apologise for any mistake or misunderstanding, as English is not my native language.

That being said, I have a rather short story to share, that happened a dozen of years ago (can't remember when exactly).

At that time, I was camping with my parents and my then-girlfriend somewhere in France, near the beach.

To go to the beach from the camping point, we had to go through an alley. This alley was really a cement wall on one side, and some kind of haywall on the other side, with a floor made of sand and some grass. There were some lamps at ground level every 3m or so, and from on side to the other, the ally was 4m wide at max. It was straight, not even a small curve, and was 60m from start to end.

So, my girlfriend and I were going back to our tent from the beach at night, and we headed for the alley. As it was not a creepy place at all, we were not even slightly scared and weren't thinking about ghosts or whatever.

About halfway down, we heard a noise, as if someone or something was walking at the same pace than us in some bushes right near us. We were intrigued, as there was no bush in the alley, so we stop to hear, thinking we were hearing some animal on the other side of the cement wall.

When we stopped walking, the noise stopped too. We made a step or two, and the noise began again. Each time we stopped or walked, the noise did the exact same thing.

I looked up (the cement wall was 2m50 high approximately) to see if someone was pranking us, but I didn't see anyone, and to stand on this rather thin wall at night would have been a real dedication to a dumb joke.

This, and the fact that, walking on sand, we didn't made any noise when tiptoeing, we ended up being scared, and walked rapidly to the end of the alley, looking back over our shoulders to see an improbable prankster but seeing nothing. The noise followed us almost to the end, disappearing when we reached the point where the wall turned away.

On the other side of the wall was the garden of a house, uninhabited (?) at that time as the owner went away from the overcrowded beaches in the summer.

I went to this place every summer for almost 15 years, and this event happened just this one time. I have no clue on what caused it, but I think about it from time to time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Meister, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Meister (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-04)
I've must have walked down this alley a thousand or more times in the almost 15 years my family and I went to this place, and I can't remember hearing this phenomenon except this one time.

The strange part is that it didn't occur again after. If there was something, maybe it just wanted to scare us?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-06)
I'd rule this out as an echo if the author had only been there once - however, they state that they have been to this facility numerous times, certainly they would have noticed if there was a pronounced echo in the alley.
DirtCreature (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-18)
Yep. It's good to be very aware and observant of oneself to rule things out. Kind of like how one can mistake their own breathing or the vibration of tv/radios through walls as the supernatural (if you live in apartments/condos especially).:)
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-18)
Meister

Just off the top of my head. It was just the two of you in a relatively narrow alley. So my guess would be that in the quiet of the night your foot steps were "echoing" and you were only hearing your own footsteps. When we are young totally innocuous things seem to be supernatural, probably because of the shoe Supernatural.

Regards
Red

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: