You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: An Abandoned Bungalow

Real Ghost Stories

An Abandoned Bungalow

 

This happened last year, me and a couple of other friends decided to explore an old bungalow in my locality which was supposed to be haunted. Now when people see an abandoned bungalow they think it's haunted, but people like to talk don't they? We didn't believe a word of the place being haunted and decided to explore for ourselves.

I stay in a bungalow which is near the abandoned one so we decided to have a sleepover at my place and then sneak out during the night have a look, snap a few pictures and return back. My mom had gone to Pune for a relative's marriage so that made the sneaking out easy. It was the summer holidays and we had a lot of fun, there were three of us me my friend Shivani and another friend Vidya.

Some background about the house, it has been uninhabited since as long as I can remember. The current owner of the bungalow is in the United States and doesn't care about it, maybe they are selling it to some builder next year. It's a pretty desolate place, it's at the very end of the road and has a waste land behind it. Not many people care about it anymore, it's been long forgotten except when people talk about ghosts. It is said that the ghost of some previous owner haunts the place, you can hear laughing in there, the gate opening and closing by itself and the glow of old oil lamps when no one is inside. It was just too tempting for us to stay away from.

We decided to reach there at around 7-30 so it would be sufficiently dark and not too late. The bungalow is quite the picture of carelessness, the walls were covered with algae, the weeds had overgrown and the thorns of some plants made it difficult to walk without getting your lower legs scratched, foolishly I had worn shorts, and my legs were cut and bleeding by the time we walked the distance of about three meters from the gate to the front door. It was a moonless night and it is said that at such times the spirits are unrestricted by the veil between the living and the dead. Nevertheless we decided to go in using the windows, since the door had a big rusty lock on it, the windows were very old and seemed to belong to the times long gone by and did not have any glass on them which made getting in rather easy. Shivani was the first to go in followed by me and Vidya. We switched on the flashlights on our cell phones which filled the interior in an eerie light. I had this feeling of sudden sadness and that someone was watching me, I brushed it off as being guilty about trespassing in someone else's property.

The feeling continued and it felt like someone was playing a voyeur on me. It was a sick feeling. As we were taking a look inside I was constantly turning my head around to check if there was someone behind me. Vidya asked me what was wrong, I told her and Shivani about it and Vidya agreed that she felt the same. Shivani said I needed to relax

The interior of the bungalow was plain and unfurnished, with a big hall (living room), a flight of stairs in one corner of the hall led up to the first floor. There was the kitchen just beside the hall and a bedroom or storeroom to the left of the kitchen, we decided to go to the first floor and see if we could find ourselves any ghosts.

Vidya complained that she was not feeling alright and would stay downstairs. Shivani and I started going upstairs and I was overcome by a feeling of sudden and utter terror. I couldn't breathe and I wanted to flee the place, my eyes started watering and my head hurt, a short scream escaped my throat and Shivani looked at me from where she was standing at the top stair. She asked if I was okay and I just nodded my head and said that it was my dust allergy acting up. I slowly got to the upper floor, and we decided to check the rooms ahead. There were three bedrooms up ahead and a door which led to the terrace. We decided to check the first room, as we were about to open the door and peek in we heard someone coming up the stairs.

Thinking it was Vidya, I went to take a look to find that the stairs were deserted, strangely the sound continued but I couldn't see anyone. It was like the sound made when you walk around in flip-flops, Vidya was wearing heels so she definitely wasn't playing tricks on us. I stood there glued and frozen like a statue listening to the sound of walking approaching closer to me, I screamed for Shivani who came out running from the room she was looking in and she heard the sound too. Her face showed the terror she felt and she gripped my hand and we rushed downstairs, I felt an icy breath of air pass me, I was too frightened to care.

We saw Vidya sitting peacefully downstairs on the floor as if in a trance and she seemed to be meditating. We were scared, scared as hell. We rushed downstairs and shook her, she was startled and asked us why was she sitting down. She seemed genuinely confused, and as we were thinking about the situation we heard someone laughing upstairs and ran out of the house through the windows. We ran really hard, I had a stitch in my side and was sweating. When we stopped to catch our breath, I took a look at my friends and was shocked to see that Vidya's face was deathly pale, her pupils had dilated to such an extent that they nearly covered her hazel irises, she was bathed in sweat and when I felt her forehead she had a high fever. She seemed to have gone in that trance like state again, I shook her and asked her if she was okay. She said she felt sick and groaned. She had to puke, she didn't feel alright at all. We went home to let her get some rest.

Back home, she flopped down on the bed in my room and seemed to have slept immediately. Shivani and I discussed the events that took place and wondered if the ghost would follow us, deciding that it wasn't a possibility we went to the kitchen to make something for dinner and wait for Vidya while she completed her nap. The experience had shaken me and I decided that I would take a bath before I cook to calm myself down. While undressing I noticed some scratches near my breasts which definitely were not there earlier, they were shallow and didn't even hurt. I checked my top to see if it was torn while getting in through the windows or anything like that. There wasn't any sign of scratches on it. It just didn't feel normal, dropping the idea of bathing I showed the scratches to Shivani, she checked herself to see if she had any scratches on her body and there were three irregular scratches on her stomach, she said she didn't have them earlier. They really looked new as they were bleeding, they didn't hurt as well.

We decided to tell this to Vidya and see if she was doing okay. We went to my room and at the door we heard someone moaning in there, both of us were shaken visibly and slowly opened the door. Vidya was sitting cross legged on the floor and seemed to be meditating again, this time she was saying something which we had heard as the moaning. I was rooted to the spot, Shivani went and shook her and she got out of the trance like state again. I went to the kitchen to get some ash from the essence sticks which is considered to be holy and put it on Vidya's forehead. Then all of us did a little ritual of praying and asking the spirit to leave her alone. There were no incidents of her getting lost in that state again.

When we mentioned to her about the scratches that we had, she checked herself to find scratches on her stomach too. It was too much of a coincidence and we decided that that was one pervert ghost we had encountered and on seeing three girls it had decided to have some fun. We never told of this incident to anyone, and have not dared to go near the bungalow again. I would have uploaded the photos of my scratches but they are on a rather private place.

Thank you for reading my story, if anyone has had a similar experience please comment about it. Regards.

Other hauntings by curiousDevu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curiousDevu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Nice to read Devyani... If I was at your place... I would not have done such thing as I am coward... It's good you all are safe... Do not try it again
swapnilnarendra (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-18)
Devu, I am a new member and a big fan or supernatural/paranormal phenomenons. Though I am yet to become a believer of the same, I really like to read, hear and tell people about it. I have been on a binge reading on this site and to me you come out as a natural writer who could write this kind of stuff. Now a few words of advise;

1. I don't think there is something wrong in exploring abandoned places, but one should be a little careful in the process.

2. Always check out the place during the daytime before going back after the dark. This not only gives you an idea of what you will be dealing with, but also helps you in mapping the place that comes handy.

3. Always have an exit strategy ready with at least 2 different routes.

4. Carry a bagpack with you, consisting of first aid supplies, spare flashlights and some holy water (if you believe in it). This helps you deal with any small accident.

5. Always, and always make sure somebody who is not part of your exploration knows that you are there. Maybe, inform a friend who you trust before going exploring.

6. And finally, don't break up your expedition party. Do not leave a man/woman behind.

Love your stories. Keep on exploring:)
lovely214 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-26)
I love your story... Though its too lengthy its interesting until the end... I really love it... Be careful. Don't do it again its too risky.
0nemo0 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-08)
I'd say you had a lucky escape because cuts and bruises are ill omen of so called powerful "spirits". I was a skeptic at first but my mind still bears the scars of the "experience" of an adventure gone haywire, and psychologically I'm yet to recover, with occasional sleep paralysis marking the symptom of the yet incomplete road to recovery. πŸ˜•
Abbusimbel (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-03)
I completely agree with AndiiFL. The real danger here comes not from the ghost but from the possibility that there could have been some miscreants/homeless people living in that bungalow.

In such situations I would be more afraid of people than of ghosts. Yours is a classic case of willingly putting oneself in harm's way. 😐 😠

Kindly desist from doing such things in future πŸ˜†
Rohith (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
At curiousDev
Although it was a lengthy one, your style of confession made me read it until the end. Anyways be careful.
Wishes:-)
raj89m (21 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-07)
I've also had a simillar encounter which I will soon share. I'm new on this site and I want to take it nice and easy by reading and commenting on a few posts and then going on to tell my story.
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-17)
As always Jav and Rook have the right mind set and i'm glad they brought up the possibilities.
Mold and anything stale or rotting can cause someone to feel physically ill and faint and it could have been someone hording in another room upstairs that laughed, and I like the mention of the stairs being so unused for so long that they were just re-adjusting themselves, it seems odd that they would happen one by one right after the other though I feel that there would be the occasional one that wouldn't creak back or would creak earlier than the previous step.

Also when you all were scared you may have experienced an adrenaline rush which can cause people to not feel pain or notice they've hurt themselves and in a rush your clothing may have been pushed aside so it didn't show signs of tearing or the fabric may be stretchy.

All in all though I can only go on your words and I must say I would have been up for a haunted bungalow adventure and felt exactly the same way as you all the whole way through - Don't be ashamed of doing this and don't let other's tell you otherwise.
When young we love to seek the truth and are naturally curious and those lucky enough can still do so into their adulthood you just need to do it safely in a group with torches, water and prior research.

There's no solid proof it was haunted so it's not like you were going into a run down mental asylum with a ouji board by yourself 😨

Just be careful and i'm glad you're all ok!
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
[at] Sahibsingh
I'm sorry I don't share my email or SNS accounts with strangers 😐
Sahibsingh (2 posts)
-4
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Hey girl, I readed your story abandoned bangloW and I think that you are interesting
I am too interested in paranomal activities and I want to talk to you so please give me your email of facebook so that we can talk about paranomal activities and others. 😁
Marx (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-02)
Hi,Devyani...Your story was indeed a scary one. I would like to be in that Bungalow... Where is it? Can you please mail me (marx_jeeva [at] yahoo.com)...
sarath106 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-16)
Hai devu
Ur stry sounds like a real one
And where exactly is this bunglow situated
Will you plss mail me the details
Ghostrider101 (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-17)
your story seems to be a real one. But I guess that you have now learned with this encounter to not to explore or do R&D in such places. There are other stories that I came across where people can't come out of the mental trauma in which they were through.

GR
pallsearth (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
I would say one thing only. There is no need to invite the unnecessary spirits for fun. Specially if you don't have any idea how to control the situation in case if it will attack you or you will experience any bad consequences like possession. It was a normal ghost so it left you guys easily but if it would be the malicious one then you even can't imagine what he would have done to you girls including molestation too which was partly evident by the bruises on bodies.
Its my friendly advice not to attempt this ever again because I personally know some people who tried this and lost forever.
By the way thanks for your comment on my story. ❀
Hades666 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
Not to sound harsh or anything but that really was not a good idea, just imagine if things got worse for your friend. But I am thankful that she is alright. Just warning you because one of my friend's attempted a stunt like this once and has nerver been the same since. Once again not trying to sound harsh, but just be careful. 😐
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
Yes friends, and sorry if I came across as overly sarcastic...it's a VERY bad habit of mine.😊 plus, I am a loser for pointing out the bungalow/stairs conundrum in the first place, but I'm having a slow day at work ha ha
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
I agree to not just look at pictures, next time! I WILL read too! Sorry if I came across as 'grouchy' that was not my intention. It is difficult to put inflection into the written word.
A handshake? Sure, why not? Friends? 😊
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
we've both learned, and shall agree to disagree I think. Handshake? πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
Lol [at] Worried, You are right, maybe I should have! Okay, so we have both learned something new today... Thank you! I just knew that their definition of 'bungalow' was different to ours. πŸ˜•
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
and perhaps if you "did yourself a favour" and googled the word bungalow, you'd get the definition "originated in india. A house with no stairs" multiple times?
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
[at] Fergie, my apologies, I didn't realise a bungalow was in fact... A house. Clearly the English have stolen the word and applied it to our stairless dwellings... 😁 I really did myself a favour there.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
[at] Worried, I think your idea of a bungalow isn't the same as in India! Do yourself a favour; google India bungalows... You will be surprised! πŸ˜‰

[at] curious, good story, keep them coming, please.
Thank you for sharing. 😁
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
I really enjoyed this story, I love your style of writing. However, I have to be a fusspot and point out that bungalows do not have stairs. Sorry hun but it was bugging me. Xxx
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
[at] Javelina, yeah after I submitted the draft to the admin of this site I thought the same, that some people would say why go poke your nose in stuff that's best let alone? But there have been no posts in that vein, most users are serious and the site has some strict rules, that's why I like it, mostly people comment seriously and maturely and don't comment spam or hate. And am glad my story made you feel at home,
Devyani ❀ 😊
Zami (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
Very compelling writing style. Must admit I got chills! Well done and glad everyone is ok!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
[at] curiousDevu,
Thank you for the reply and the update on your friend. I was sort of watching this one for the comments that would tell you not to go into places like that. I am glad they didn't happen really. Sometimes I think we older folks forget what it's like to be teenagers. Because I have to say, if it was me and mt friends, we would have done the same thing. 😁 I kept thinking that as I was reading your account, how we would sneak out and try to get a look at a haunted house and nodding my head as I kept on reading.
So thanks for the memories! It was fun... 😊

Jav
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
[at] Javelina, Thanks 😊 and what you said might be one way of explaining the scratches, I guess we were pretty shaken up after what we experienced so we considered them in a paranormal angle, so they might have been the outcome of the hasty escape that we made. And yes Vidya was alright the next day and we pretty much stay away from the bungalow now.
Regards,
Devyani
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
curiousDevu,

Thank you for the clarification on the 'flashlights', had it been a real flashlight on the cellphone I was going to ask who made them...

As I mentioned they were only possibilities... And needed to be considered... I am glad that you and your friends did so.

I am glad that the method I offer was able to help you. Please keep us updated if anything else happens concerning this bungalow, or if you experience anything else.

Respectfully,

Rook
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
[at] Rook, Sir we had all the possible natural causes thought of before falling back on this one, and the scratches I had gotten while walking to the entrance were on my legs, not on my torso. And by the flashlights, I meant the flash on my cell. It might seem a little off the topic but I used your home cleansing and shielding method when I had been hearing a ghost imitating my mom's voice, it worked perfectly well so I just wanted to thank you.
Regards,
Devyani 😊
AndiiFL (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
Very good story. I felt like I was there with you.

Please keep in mind though that sometimes people move into abandoned homes and will try to scare people away at best. It's possible too that they can try to harm people who wander in on them unexpectedly.

In the USA there are trespassing laws that keep people out of these empty homes because they might vandalize things.

Be careful when you do stuff like this. The consequences can be really bad!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: