You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Nursing Lady

Real Ghost Stories

The Nursing Lady

 

I was only 8 when we moved to our new home, in the blatant countryside. I was excited to start life as a farm-girl, and because my father had promised me a pony and lots of pets, I was over the moon. We arrived at the charming house, painted baby blue, with white trim, looking innocent, like a dollhouse. For four years, I lived in content, not noticing a thing, just playing with the animals, going to school, and having fun.

It all changed the day of my twelfth birthday. My mother and father had thrown me a small party, with cakes, food, and because of my obsession with princesses (hey, don't judge!) It was a tea-party. My father had gone scouting around in the old basement, and had brought out this old tea-set, looking like it came from the Victorian era, made of fine china and beautiful designs. I and three friends sipped primly, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a a shadow flit past, in the shape of a woman. I dismissed it, and laughed the night away.

My friends left, and my mother and father kissed me goodnight, sending me up to my room. I carried my presents up, opening them ravenously. As I was opening presents, I heard a knock on my door, and rushed to open it, however, there was no one there. The hallway was empty, the lights off. I shrugged it off, and after opening my presents, fell asleep promptly. The next day is when I began suspecting paranormal activity in my home.

I woke up the next morning, and as I began to get out of my bed, my foot crushed onto something, and as I cried in pain, I looked down to see what it was.

It was a china tea cup, the same as the ones yesterday, filled with luke-warm tea. It shattered into pieces, a few embedded into my foot. My mother plucked them out with tweezers and wrapped my foot, insisting I must have brought some tea up and forgotten to put it away. I nodded along, and when my father left for work, my mother received a call from her sister, and she left me in the care of our neighbor's teenage daughter, Josie.

Josie and I watched TV, until she excused herself to go to the bathroom, and I waited for 20 minutes, and Josie came out, looking terrified. She turned to me, and asked "Did you know there is a lady in your house?" I said no, and she quickly whisked me away from the house, baby-sitting me over at hers. My mother and father came home, and all was well.

Two years passed, with no sightings of the lady, and I dismissed the idea of a haunting. One night, I suddenly woke up, and felt as if someone was watching me, from the crack under my door. My heart skipped a beat, fear coursing through me, when suddenly I felt a tugging at my mind, and had this sudden image of a tall, thin lady, wearing a white, shapeless gown, with a nurses hat on her head. She held a teacup filled with orange liquid, in her left hand, and was clenching her fist. I slept, and the next morning my father announced we were moving because of his job change, to my extreme relief.

As we were leaving the house, two months later, my mother ran down and told me to fetch the old picnic blanket she had left down in the basement. I walked down there, and picked up the blanket, and something caught my eye. A small, photograph, with a circular frame, of a woman. A woman wearing a nurses hat, with a white gown on. Her face thin, and looking like it was caved in at the cheeks. The same woman I had sensed outside my door two months before.

We piled into the car we had, and as I was frantically waving goodbye to the house, a saw a figure on the porch, a crude smile on her face, waving ever so slightly back.

I have always been terrified of my experience, and remember the hauntings in detail, due to me keeping a diary, detailing all events that happened. I never found out who the woman was, why she was in the house, what her attachment to the tea set was. Any ideas? It has been a mystery for so long now.

Thanks!

Other hauntings by multiplyingchills3

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, multiplyingchills3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-22)
The author mentioned that the liquid in the teacup was orange - that could have been laudanum - depending on how it was prepared, it could have a hue that ran the gambit from rusty yellow to orange to red. In its heyday, it was touted as a cure for everything from menstrual cramps to cancer.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-10-10)
multiplyingchills - when you are deciding what stories to submit, remember we don't publish stories from relatives that aren't children, parents or siblings. And sometimes even those are subject to rejection. We prefer to have stories that are first-hand experiences. Thank you.
multiplyingchills3 (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-10)
Hey everyone, an update on the post I am already writing: The submit your story page is closed until next monday, and hopefully the story will be up sometime next week. However, I will start writing the families experiences, and the seventeen year old son is helping me write a few passages.
Thanks! ❤ ❤
multiplyingchills3 (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-09)
Dear Miracles51031,
Of course, I wouldn't have handed it out, so sorry for the inconvenience. The family told me not to, but I failed to mention that in my previous statement.
So sorry!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-10-09)
multiplyingchills - please, please! Do not provide an address. We try very hard to maintain the integrity of this site, and if our members are handing out addresses to other members, it kind of defeats what we are trying to do. We try to protect the privacy of people who may be living in a reported haunted location. So, again, please do not provide the address.

Thank you.
multiplyingchills3 (2 stories) (9 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-10-09)
A reply to Silentwings: It did resemble Florence Nightingale's style nurse hat. I still remember the house, and have recently been thinking due to reading all your comments. I am visiting the house, and there is currently a family inhabiting the house, family friends of ours who bought it after we moved away. They have a seventeen year old son, a ten year old daughter, the father is a farmer, and the mother is a housewife. After calling them last night, they are preparing the same guest room that my dad saw the sickly old man in for my stay. I am excited to hear their experiences, as hey have been living in the house for 6 years, and when the daughter asked to speak to me, she informed me of a few strange things. I am currently in the car on the way, and promise, by tomorrow, I shall post about the experiences of the current inhabitants of the house. I am really excited for this! (I am using up all my 4G right now, but I have to inform all of you!) I would love to give you the address, Silentwings, if you would like to explore the basement, but I would have to ask the family first.
Fariya, I agree! The strange thing about the tea set, though, was it was perfectly maintained. Not a scratch or a chip anywhere, and the paints and designs looked fresh and brand new... ALL THE TIME.
Dreamer01, the thing is, the lady seemed almost menacing, she looked angry in my mind, and her fist was always clenched whenever I visioned her or caught a glimpse. I do not believe she was a helpful spirit.
Valkricry, the lady was definitely attached to the tea set, however, we stopped using it after the birthday, so she 'got it back'. It was left in the basement for years. Why would she still torment the house, if we had given her back the tea-set?
multiplyingchills3 (2 stories) (9 posts)
-4
9 years ago (2015-10-09)
Hey everyone, thanks for commenting!
In an answer to sheetal's question, kind of. My mother once called me frantically while I was staying over at a friends house, saying she had seen a figure in the hallway, but she soon passed it off as a hallucination.
An extremely strange moment is when we have two extra guest-bedrooms, and my dad was fixing up lopsided shelf in the closets of the second room, when he turned around and thought he saw a sickly old man, pale, with no hair, and wearing a night gown. He never forgot this experience and often tells my cousins the story.
The strange thing being, that the old man appeared to only my father, and another time, my mother caught a glimpse of a little child, wearing a brown frock, with disgusting pus, cuts, and blood all over herself, but she only appeared once to my mother, while the Nursing Lady only appeared to me. It seems like they targeted specific people in my family? I also agree with Redwolf, and thanks to all of you for submitting your theories and comments! Any ideas on the other two figures that appeared in my house? I failed to mention them in the story because I was detailing my take, and I had no previous recordings in my diary of the old man and young girl, only being told about them a week ago by my father.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-10-03)
I tend to agree with Red on this. In playing with the tea set, the nurse was somehow released. Personally, I don't think she was angry about it, just more like "'scuse me that's mine, and I want it back."
Silentwings (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
I'm on board with Redwolf, espically if the nursing cap appeared to be from the 1800's something like Florence Nightingale's verses the short caps that were common in the early and mid 1900's which would make a lot of sense considering that you described the tea set having a victorian era appearance placing the tea set around 1837 or close to that time spand. Also you mentioned at one point you saw the tall thin nurse with a teacup with orange liquid in it, that very well could have been medicine or tea, considering not all teas are brown. The fact that you found a picture of the nurse in the basement is just awesome confirmation that she resided there as a live in nurse or allowed her home to be a hospital. I would love to be able to go through the basement and see what else is down there. This is an awesome experience at least to this history nerd. Thank you for sharing it with us, its going into my favorites for sure. 😊
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
well said redwolf,

I really agree with your take on this one.

I have been in health care for 26 years and I have seen many of my co workers go above and beyond the call of duty.

So it would not surprise me that some long ago energy is still doing that.

I met a 96 year old lady that lived through one of those epidemics as a young girl as her father was the chief physician at the local hospital that dealt with it. She never got sick but witnessed much suffering and basically said the same things that the patients used to be put outside in the fresh air and sun.
Fariya (7 stories) (52 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
I think it was her house and she was a nurse and was very much attached to her belongings. And her ghost resided in the basement because that is where all her belongings were kept. Nothing happened for years until her things were untouched but as soon as her tea set was used by someone else without her will she got a little upset, she couldn't bare separation from her belongings that is why she roamed around her tea set.maybe!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
multiplyingchills3
You said that your father found this tea set in the old basement. Years ago when people had consumption (tuberculosis) doctors felt that fresh air would make it easier for the patient to breath.
It's possible that the farm house was used as a hospital and either if there was a porch they were brought outside everyday. Or if there was no porch the patients were all just kept in cots or beds in the living room with all the windows open. The nurse or nurses probably slept upstairs along with the doctors. The tea set probably belonged to a nurse who caught consumption which is actually the end stages of tuberculosis. Because there was no cure back then and Doctors and Nurses caught it themselves because they didn't wear masks because back then they didn't know much about communicable diseases. Or they MAY have worn masks while around patients but NOT while doing the laundry and caught it that way.
Anyway as I said the tea set may have belonged to the nurse but as she came out of the tea set as you saw into more familiar surroundings she decided to stay there.
Red
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
Hi, multiplyingchills3... I liked your story. I think in previous time the house must have of her and her spirit is attached to the tea- set... Has your parents never seen her?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: