You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Grim Reaper In The Nursing Home

Real Ghost Stories

Grim Reaper In The Nursing Home

 

This happened about 7 or 8 years ago, I can't really recall the exact time but it has been a very long time already.

I was working on this Nursing Home back when I still live in Baltimore, Maryland. I was a new Nurse back then and I was stationed at this skilled unit they called the Vent Unit. Now the patients or residents that stays here looked like they are in critical condition with their ventilators attached to their trachea and Peg tubes attached to their feeding pumps but they are actually on stable condition enough for them to be placed on our unit.

Our unit is like a cross road, I don't know how to describe it well but I'll try. The nurse's station is in the middle and shaped like circular where you can see the north, south, east, and west hallways leading to other units. The north hallway has a dead end that leads to a wall at the far end and nowhere else to go. That side of the hallway always creeps me out especially during the night shift where I always work.

One night, it was past midnight already and the lights were dimmed but the north hallway was particularly darker than the rest probably because it is a dead end. I was doing my chart checks when at the corner of my eye I saw a very tall shadow that just glided towards a resident's room. I was facing the East wing that time because I didn't want to be facing on the dark hallway and still that didn't spare me from witnessing something unusual.

I shrugged it off as my imagination but I can really feel something different that time. Anyway since it is my duty to do rounds to make sure my patients are ok, I went to the North hallway and checked on my patients and nope I didn't see anything unusual or any tall shadows, so I went to do what my duties needed me to do that night.

Fast forward the next day, as I come in for my shift that night and I was getting report, I was surprised that the endorsing nurse told me that the patient in room such and so passed away that morning. I immediately recalled the tall shadowy figure that I saw out of the corner of my eye that went through that side of the hallway rooms at the far end. I wasn't particularly sure which room but I knew it was near the resident that passed away. Again I passed it off as a coincidence.

A few months after something happened that scared the crap out of me while working there. As I was passing meds past midnight for some scheduled meds on my patients. I was again on the North Hallway and it was pretty dim and everything is quiet except for some occasional dings and alarms of some vents but nothing unusual.

As I entered on this particular room, it was pretty dark since the lights are off in the room but there are dim lights on the hallway behind me. Now the rooms have these wide windows and usually they are covered at night by curtains or blinds but on this particular room it was wide open. I can't see what's outside since it's pitch black outside but the window served as a mirror since I can see my reflection, and the reflection of the hallway behind me when I enter the room.

This gives me the creeps until today and I remember when I entered the room I felt like there was something behind me. You know that feeling like when you are being watched and you feel your hairs behind your neck standing up with that prickly sensation all over your body as your heart starts to raise and pound faster. That's what I felt and what made it worse was when I was trying to search for the room's light switch, I roamed my eyes all over the room while feeling with my hand on the wall for the switch when my eyes landed on the reflection of the window where I saw a tall shadowy figure standing just behind me. My heart literally skipped a beat and as soon as I felt the switch I turned it on and the figure is gone from the reflection on the window.

I was so freaked out that I never said a word that shift and just did my work to occupy my mind. Even my coworker asked if I was ok but I just showed them I was even if inside my mind I wasn't.

The next day as I come back for work, I heard the terrible news that the patient died that morning, where I saw the shadowy figure.

I don't know for sure if they were grim reapers or death but that was one of my unforgettable moments that I'll remember when I was working on that place. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by DarriuxDarkk

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DarriuxDarkk, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-28)
Silverthane

I am also confused with what I have experienced. I don't dismiss the idea that it might not be a grim reaper at all. Who know's it might have been a ghost of a love one.

In some cultures they believe that when people die, they see their deceased loved ones as if they were fetching them. I don't see apparitions well sometimes but one thing is for certain, it was indeed an entity or something that I have witnessed, be it a ghost or a reaper that I do not know.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-28)
I can understand why nursing homes are places for paranormal activity. I am at a loss to explain your sightings, however. To me, the Grim Reaper is a type of angel that takes your soul to eternity (good or bad). Your sighting does scare me, though.
DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-22)
Yes as far as I can remember the North Hallway was where the most critical patients stay. I remember that the East and West hallway have some ambulatory patients and the South side are just few rooms because it is leading towards the front side of the nursing home and that's where the day room and PT room are located if I recall it correctly.

The North hallway was where the Respiratory Therapist room was and I remember one particular RT who was a muslim and I often see him pray at the back at early morning hours. I didn't ask him anything about tall shadowy figures if he has seen it since it would be unprofessional of me to ask him that. He was a nice older guy though.
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-22)
I would like to ask if there was something different about the north hallway. For example, were the patients in the north hallway in more need of intensive care, or was the north hallway where the patients stayed if they were on hospice care and closest to passing away?
I am curious if the north corridor was somehow different than the other three corridors in your section.
DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-22)
Thank you for your comment. I've had a handful weird experiences in the hospital but most of them are weird occurrences and sensations. I wouldn't say that I always see supernatural stuff because I don't. I do however always feels things that are out of the ordinary. Which is weird I know.

One of this minor occurrences I remember was when a patient of mine died. She was an old lady but she was really sick. I believe she was DNR already so she wasn't sent to ICU when she deteriorated and she died in the unit (this is in an acute care setting not the nursing home).

I remember we cleaned her up and everything. Family members came by and we gave them some time with the patient before they all left and the funeral home services collected the body.

Now towards the end of the shift, where the room was vacated already and was waiting to be cleaned. The call light went off. At first we were startled since no one was in the room. We go in there and checked it out, thinking the call button was faulty. We fix it by just plugging and unplugging it on the wall and we left.

Nothing really happened after but all I can remember when I entered that room when we were trying to fix the call light was this weird feeling of heaviness in the room like you are being suffocated by heavy air. I don't know the best thing to describe it but all I can say is that, it was a heavy feeling.

I noted that as strange because on other rooms it felt normal. So that was just some weird occurrences in the hospital that I experience sometimes.
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-22)
I can imagine working in a nursing home some strange things like that would happen because many pass away there. I've had some strange happenings when I had to stay in one for a month. I'll share that some day. Thank you for sharing your story. I'll always wonder why some see these kinds of things while others never do. 😐

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: