You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Girl Who Couldn't Figure Out How to Get to Heaven

Real Ghost Stories

The Girl Who Couldn't Figure Out How to Get to Heaven

 

In the late summer of 1997, my father and mother purchased the old home place that had been in my father's family for over two hundred years. It was a hundred acres of rich, fields that had brought forth the prettiest tobacco, and nestled in the valley was the huge, white, farmhouse. My great grandmother had lived and died in that house, and since her death, the house had remained empty.

When my parents informed us of their decision to buy it, I had mixed feelings about it. The house scared me. It was big, old, and drafty, and at night you could hear things go bump in the night, so I wasn't exactly thrilled with their news. When we pulled up in the gravel, driveway on that Saturday afternoon, I looked up at the looming house and felt a cold chill run down my spine. Daddy knew that I wasn't happy about the move, so he put his arm around my shoulder and told me that I could go in first and pick the bedroom that I wanted. I knew that he was trying to make me happy so I smiled and walked toward the house.

Time passed and we had already been living in the house for two months. The night before Thanksgiving, the house was filled with family from out of town. My dad's mother was one of our guest. When she saw the old house, she looked over at me and asked, "Have you seen your ghost yet?" Everybody laughed at her but I didn't and she wasn't laughing either. My grandmother has the gift of being psychic. She can see things and she knows things that will astound you. So when she said this, I took her seriously.

That night after everybody had went to bed, I went upstairs to my room and laid down. I fell asleep but was suddenly woke up when I heard laughing. I rose up and saw the ghostly figure of a little girl. She was standing by my dresser and she appeared to be about the age of five or six. She had long, blond hair that hung to her waist and she wore a white nightgown that had ruffles around the neck and wrist. I tried to scream but it was as if she held me spellbound, I felt paralyzed, and I couldn't move. She made no move toward me but just stared at me. I was scared and pulled my blanket up over my head. My heart pounded in my chest and the temperature felt both warm and cold at the same time, if that is possible. I did not look again to see if she was there.

The next morning I felt so stupid. Had she been a figment of my imagination or had she been real, but even as I questioned myself, I knew that she had been real. I went in search of my grandmother and found her sitting on the back porch. She was old and her hair was snowy white, but her clear, blue eyes were youthful and knowing... "Have you seen your ghost yet", she asked again? I looked at her and said that I had. She told me not to be afraid of the girl, because the spirit meant me no harm. I asked her why that she had come to me and she said that she didn't know but that the next time that she came, to ask her what she wanted. I asked grandma how that I could talk to her and she said that she suspected that I had the same gift that she did and that we were a bridge to the supernatural world. This scared me but yet excited me at the same time.

The next two nights passed and I did not see the girl, I stayed up just to see her, but she wouldn't show herself. Grandma told me to be patient and that she would come back, because grandma could feel her presence in the house. The next afternoon I was reading in my room and I heard a sound coming from my closet. I got up from my desk and walked over to the closet fully expecting to find her when I opened the door. I slowly turned the knob and opened the door, but she wasn't there. I was relieved and disappointed.

That night after supper, I told grandma what had happened and she said that the little girl was teasing me. I was a little upset that night and went to bed early. I don't know how much time had went by but I woke to that warm, cold temperature again and I knew that she was there. I looked over toward the dresser and there she was. I was not scared of her this time, I just wanted to help her, so I looked at her and said hello. She just stared at me and then vanished into thin air.

I got up and ran to my grandma's room, she was still awake when I walked in. I told her that I had seen the girl but that she would not say anything to me. She told me that the girl had passed on before she was ready and that now she was lost and couldn't figure out how to get to heaven. I asked grandma if she knew what had happened to her and she said that she had died in a terrible way, that she had been murdered. I asked her to tell me more about the girl. She said that after school one day, the girl was walking home and one of the field hands had grabbed her and took her to a abandoned tobacco barn out in the woods. Grandma said that her father and a bunch of other men had went in search of her when she hadn't shown up for supper and found her the next morning inside the barn, she had been killed. I felt sorry for the girl and told my grandma so, she said that the girl's name was Eliese and that grandma's dad, my great grand dad, had told her the story of Eliese many times. Eliese makes her presence known sometimes. You can hear her laughing out in the hall at night or she may hide something from you, she's quite the prankster. I am not afraid of her, in a way she's comforting.

I have my own family now and have moved to North Carolina, but I visit the home place on holiday, and I'll admit that I hope I catch a glimpse of the little girl.

Other hauntings by sassy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sassy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-01)
oh wow that's a really nice story I love to read it all the time and now I'm going to read the 2nd one.

Its horrible how she died but other than that I am glad that you are communicating with her.

Princess123 x ❤
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
I loved that story. I think as children, we are more susceptible to seeing ghosts, because the only real ghosts I have witnessed have been as a child. You should feel very lucky to have that gift, and do what you can to hone it. Thanks for sharing your story

Trent
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-11)
Thanks Annie for the link you provided. I am sorry, sassy, but Annie and Shane are right. The plot of that story are basically the same, if not in some areas identical to the story posted here. If it is not a plagiarism of that movie and this really did happen, how sad for the little girl.
Now, in your comment section, that is another story. I have heard of spirits coming to warn of upcoming danger in this same way. Thank you for commenting and for your story. I, too, was afraid of what the comments to my first story would be also. Being in a world that tends to shun these kinds of incidents does make it difficult for someone to open up and share these experiences. Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
For Sassy's expectations for feedback, when she says she won't participate in the discussion, I admit that when I submitted my first story, that's what I said too. I was worried everybody would tear me to shreds, and if they did, I didn't want to have to stumble through trying to defend myself. As you can tell, I'm not as shy anymore! I'm glad Sassy did answer her comments, hopefully we'll hear more.
sassy (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-12)
Thanks for your comments regarding my experience. I can assure you that this really did happen. I believe that she appeared to me as a result of my grandmother who is phychic. I have always felt her presence in that house, but had not seen her until that night. I believe that I have the same gift that my grandmother has. Last year I laying on the couch sleeping, waiting for my husband to come home. Suddenly I felt that I wasn, t alone I saw the figure of a small, girl and she was standing at the foot of the couch. She had a sence of urgency about her, it was as if she was trying to warn me of impending danger. I rose up quickly in the darkness and felt her brush by me as she dissappeared. A minute or two passed and I saw the beams of headlights coming up the driveway. I knew that this wasn, t my husband. I called the police. The man was intending to do me harm, he worked for my husband, but had to be let go because of a bad attitude, and he knew that I would be alone that night. I wonder if it was Eliese that warned me or another spirit. If you have any comments regarding this I would like to read them. ❤ ❤ ❤
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-12)
No offense, Sarah, but refusing to participate detracts from the credibility of this story for me. It sounds a little too convenient. Your grandmother shows up and tells you there's a female ghost in your house and you meet her THAT VERY NIGHT, and THEN her whole story is revealed including her name and circumstances under which she died? Makes a good script, but it missing key ingedients to "true ghost stories..." Usually, when people see apparitions in their room, not only do they not question whether it's real or not (when you see one, you KNOW), but they don't just cover-up with a sheet and go back to sleep. Real encounters tend to shake people to their very core. Plus, you get two overt encounters while your grandma is in the house and is there to flesh-out your encounter with historical anecdotes? Again, just too convenient.

I could be totally wrong and too skeptical, but I have a hard time swallowing this one.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-12)
Annie don't worry about offending anyone. You are entitled to your belief and you have provided a reason as to why you fail to believe in this story. After reading the plot of the movie that you provided the link for and doing a little more research into the movie I would also tend to agree that this story sounds similar to that movie.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-11)
Okay. Since the poster of this story isn't a registered user of this site, and won't comment on any posts here, I have to say that I don't believe this story. It sounds all most identical to a movie I saw back in the 80's: The Lady In White: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095484/
That's only my opinion. I truly don't mean to offend anyone.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-10)
This story made me extremely sad when I found out what happened to the little girl. It sickens me whenever I hear something bad happening to innocent little children. I hope that this poor little girl can find peace. Maybe you and/or your Grandmother can help her go to where she belongs. It's strange though that the little girl is laughing every time you see her though that terrible thing supposedly happened to her? Maybe her being a child she doesn't know any better, of vengeance or hate, she just acts like the sweet little girl she was in life. Does anyone know what person/persons did this to her? And what happened to them? Were they ever caught? I certainly hope so. So many terrible things like this happen to children and it disgusts me! 😠I will pray that 'Eliese' finds her way to peace. Thanks for sharing your story. 😢~Shelby ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-10)
sarah, what a sad and lovely story. Do you still feel her there? I do hope that one day she can find the peace she deserves, maybe you can help her. I wish you would reply to your comments, I am wondering if you have other stories to tell, since you believed you had the same gift as your Grandmother.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-10)
What a wonderful story! How sad and terrible for the little girl. When you return to the home for a visit, try to speak to her even if you cannot see her, tell her to look for the light and cross over. She will find her friends and family and peace finally and be able to play and rest, no more being scared. Pray for the Lord to take her nad protect her, She died in a horrible, tragic and sudden way. I am certain she is lost and frightened and not sure where to turn. Pray for her, I will to.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: