You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Voices That Wake Me

Real Ghost Stories

Voices That Wake Me

 

This is the first time I have written a story though I have been reading them for months now. I joined the site yesterday so I could become a more active member and share my experiences with you all.

I have been living with my fiance and his parents for a year now, although if I am honest I think this has happened before but I cannot remember for sure.

The thing about me is my memory is shocking. I have flashes of things but if it happened more they a week ago then I cannot be sure if I have remembered it correctly. I will try my best though and I hope it makes sense. Anyway on with my story.

On one of my mornings off my partner went off to work and as I wanted a lie in I put in some ear plugs (it can get noisy when the others get up), and went back to sleep. On this day they all went out early leaving me home alone but at the time I was not aware of this. The window was open as I get really hot at night.

I was in the dream sleep whatever that is called and all of a sudden I am woken by someone or or something screaming my name right in my ear. At first I thought I was still dreaming but I say screaming as that was what it ended as. It repeated my name 2 or 3 times getting louder each time.

After the 3rd time I was genuinely scared awake and although I would not open my eyes I got the sense of someone standing over me breathing. I thought I could feel that anyway. When I eventually opened my eyes there was no one there. I thought maybe my partner's brother who also lives in the house was playing a trick on me as he knows I watch the ghost hunting programmes and things but when looking around the house I was alone. I looked out the window as that is where everyone goes to smoke in the back garden but there was no one there and all the cars were gone.

To this day I am not sure who was trying to wake me but I know there was no one there. I know I was not dreaming it as it woke me and although I did not open my eyes, I was awake fully by the last time it called my name which is what scared me the most.

If anyone has any ideas on what this could mean or be I would appreciate it. I have not had any bad or good news so I don't think it was a message from someone warning me of something to come. It was also a long time ago now so not expecting anything either.

I do believe the house to be haunted as I have heard footsteps walking in the hallway when I am in the bathroom and on my own but as I have not seen or heard anything else I do not think much of it.

Anyway thank you for reading and sorry if I went on a bit or it is not exciting. I may have some more stories to tell but would like to see how this one goes first.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, notadaddysgirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

notadaddysgirl (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-03)
Thanks Yomomma I appreciate your input and for reading my story.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-01)
Hi notadaddysgirl, I'm just now getting around to reading your story. It's very interesting. I enjoyed reading it.

With all due respect to the other posters - if this truly is Hypnagogic hallucinations then most of the stories on this site can be explained away by that theory. Hypnagogic hallucinations are not only hearing things as one might be falling to sleep or waking up but feeling as if one is being touched or seeing shadows or even smells.

I too have experienced things such as you described. I am mentally sound and my hearing is great. I believe someone was trying to get your attention. Even though you say it was a long time ago, I believe there will come a day when you realize exactly why. Remember in the 'Spirit' world time stands still.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-15)
Hi notadaddysgirl, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing your experience. Rook, my friend, yes, it is true that there should be a line drawn between what is hypnogogia and what is not. That was an insightful comment you have made, of course, I know it is because of your experience. But, I feel like going with Jenysue. It is not necessary that one should have hole in their eardrums to have such a kind of auditory hallucinations but even with ear plugs, there is always a chance to experience it. And notadaddysgirl did say that it happened only once and she was not sure that it happened again (well that is what she said about her memory in her narrative). So, my vote goes to what Jeny said.

Regards and respects to all.

SDS
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-11)
Hi Otteer - thanks for the heads-up on EHS. Very interesting.
Here's an experience I had about 1 year ago: I was suddenly awoken at some ungodly hour by an enormous crash that shook the entire house.
The house was a 3 bedroom, free-standing brick house.
My initial thoughts were something huge had smashed into the roof as that's where the sound seemed to originate from.
As I lay there rationalising what exactly it could have been, part of me felt that it simply wasn't of this world and there was an anger behind it.
I eventually went back to sleep but next morning checked the roof etc and could see nothing amiss.
notadaddysgirl (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-07)
Thank you. What you say hayleynicolaa makes a lot of sense and I think the timing was quite stressful for me when this happened. Of course I would like to think that there is someone out there wanting to say hello but if there is a logical explination then that is always good. 😁
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-07)
hayleynicolaa,

I agree that Hypnagogic hallucinations can help explain 'some' situations. The 'trick' as an investigator is to figure out just where to draw that 'line'. Many doctors and other professionals, as well as skeptics, will (almost) always default to SP or these type of hallucinations to explain away every experience out there...

You mentioned you had a 'bad bout' with Hypnagogic hallucinations and were placed on Valium when you were 19... What was the deciding factor that you were NOT experiencing something paranormal?

Respectfully,

Rook
hayleynicolaa (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-07)
Yes, "Hypnagogic" hallucinations are NOT a mental or psychological illness or problem, it's a NORMAL phenomena experienced by nearly everyone at some point. Like I said, most people experience them in the form or visual, but auditory hallucinations are common too. They happen when you are awake, but clinically you are not fully awake - you are between sleep and being fully awake... If you want to learn more, learn about the sleep stages. But the person experiencing them will perceive themselves as being awake, which is half true (like I said, you are awake, just not fully).

I'm not trying to say ghosts don't exist, I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't believe. I believe in ghosts/spirits, I just strongly believe what you described was sleep or "hypnogogic" hallucinations.

Also I should add, some people are more prone to them. What I mean is while some people will only experience them a few times ever, some people repeatedly experience them. When I was 19 I started having hypnogogic hallucinations (both visual and auditory) up to 4 times a week. It got to the point I was terrified of sleep because they were so real. Some times I would really think people were in the house - I would hear screaming, laughing, dogs barking. I saw my doctor who said sometimes when people are stressed and not sleeping well, they experience hypnogogic hallucinations. I ended up being put on Valium for a while because of how badly I was being affected... So that's just an example of how realistic these hallucinations can be.
Vampirekid (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-06)
Hi,
Your story seems quite real. I don't think that it happened to you due to any psychological disease as it occurred only once.
Sometimes spirits stay in or around our house. In some cases they just try to scare us. However they are not harmful.
But please inform if you were ever harmed by such things.
notadaddysgirl (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-05)
I have had my ears checked as I did wonder about something like this but there is nothing wrong with them. Thank you for asking though I understand where you are coming from and I am always looking for the logical explination.
Jenysue (7 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-04)
I ask this with respect... Do you have a history of ear problem? I ask because my mother has holes in both of her eardrums since she was a kid. Ad she got older ear problems got worse... Ear aches, fluid in ear, humming sound, feeling like ears are always plugged up and so on. She even has many moments were she thinks I'm calling her name or saying something to her but I'm not. Her ear doctor said hearing voices or music was common with her ear problems. This may be an explanation to the screaming in your ear? Maybe while you were sleeping a screeching car was driving by and your ear tones picked it up as screaming? Just a thought. As they say theirs and explanation for everything.
notadaddysgirl (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-04)
Thank you all for your loverly comments and putting my mind at rest.

I appreciate all comments and if it is a spirit playing jokes on me I would like to think it was my stepdad who passed suddenly a couple of years ago as he was always a prankster.

I also understand where you are coming from and I have had those hallucinations when it comes to floating spiders so this would make sense to me also.

Thank you all again ❤
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-03)
First of all, thank you for your story!

I had researched "exploding head syndrome" and the accompanying sounds and physical reactions to it when I was trying to rationalize if I had really heard a loud bang that woke me up one night, only to find nothing amiss. I did write up the total story because it involved physical evidence of the noise (just on the opposite side of my bedroom wall, outside), later. I was fascinated with what I found, and glad to see Haley mention it with a scientific name, this phenomena explained several other times I have been startled awake at night with a loud bang or roaring sound. It used to happen to me in my early twenties, during my stressful job years. Dosnt happen anymore though. Just google either or and you will have a fascinating read!

I was wondering if your room was on the 1st floor, and the window opened to the garden. I totally believe in spirit intervention, as my story about the key and the loud bang I mentioned earlier involves this. Could it be you had left yourself open to an intruder, and you were being warned? Kind of along the lines that Macknorton was suggesting. The footsteps do sound like residual, and I hope it stays that way for you!

Thanks again for sharing!
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-03)
i have never heard of hypnagogia before but I believe it happened to me within the last 12 months.

At around 4 a.m. When it was still dark I guess I was in that semi- awake dream state when I heard my older sisters voice call out to me in a very " hurry wake up " loud tone as if she was standing right next to me.

It startled me awake then I opened my eyes and of course I lay there listening to see if it would happen again and it didn, t so I went back to sleep.

The experience really intrigued me so now I know some thing more about that one off occurance.

Cheers, dreamer01 😊
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-03)
Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS.

I have a reasonably warped sense of humour, so to me, it appears that if it wasn't a hypnagogic hallucination, it could have been yet another mischievous, bored spirit who was trying to yell in your ear simply because you had earplugs in?

After all, aren't spirits simply ordinary people without bodies?

If your house had been burning, or you were in danger it would make logical sense to wake you.

I remember being suddenly woken up at some ungodly hour a couple of years ago by someone /thing blowing very hard onto my face. I instantly awoke, opened my eyes but there was nothing there. I honestly think many spirits we interact with here appear to be unable / unwilling to cross over into spirit and are just like naughty children or enjoy simply frightening us.
hayleynicolaa (2 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-03)
First of all, I'm not a sceptic, but I believe before someone comes to the conclusion that an experience was possibly a spirit etc, you should rule out logical and scientific explanations. Straight away after reading your story I already think I can offer an explanation to what you experienced.

There's a phenomena that is extremely common called 'Hypnagogia', which is the experience of the state between wakefulness and sleep, and vice versa. Most people at some point in their life experience hallucinations during this state, called Hypnagogic hallucinations. Have you ever woke up and seen spiders or an object for a couple of seconds, and then when you have fully woke you realise you imagined it? That is a common and very normal hallucination, a hypnagogic hallucination.

They are the most common, but they can also been experienced in the form of auditory hallucinations. Usually the auditory ones happen just as you have dozed off, but they can happen upon waking. And usually when someone experiences the auditory hallucinations, it can happen up to several times before fully falling asleep. They sound very real, and often do sound like someone screamed in your ear. But its a normal experience, not a sign of mental illness or spirits.

I experience them a lot. Sometimes I experience what sounds like someone screaming into my ear, sometimes it sounds like a door was slammed, or syllables were smashed in my ear. I'm 99% sure this is what you experienced.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: