You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Queanbeyan Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

My Queanbeyan Visitor

 

In 1986, I was renting a small flat in Queanbeyan in New South Wales, near Canberra, whilst waiting for the sale of another property to be finalised. Even though the flat was fairly new, I had decorated it with antique furniture and indoor plants, giving it a cosy Victorian atmosphere; I also regularly used incense and candles.

I was living alone and had several pieces of furniture in the small bedroom, including a double bed, in which I slept. My television was placed on top of an old cedar railway cupboard. Working in an extremely demanding job at the time, I always looked forward to the time I spent in bed, relaxing and watching television. I loved the cluttered 'Victorian' ambience of the room, which gave me a great sense of peace and harmony.

I also socialised regularly with a circle of close friends; our conversations regularly turned to psychic or metaphysical matters and we often exchanged stories of our own experiences of the unknown or unexplained. One night, I mentioned to these friends that I would be more scared of a physical intruder in my house than a ghostly one, a comment which was received with some horror!

As if to challenge my statement, within a week I had a very strange experience!

I was asleep in my bed, when I 'saw' this man, surrounded by bright white light. I had a momentary thought that it must have been a dream, however, when I opened my eyes this person and the light were still there. He was a relatively short man, dressed in contemporary clothing of the time, with a light brown bomber jacket, sandy tousled hair and a full moustache. As I awoke and speechlessly stared at him, he smoothly and peacefully glided around the room, through a very tight space between an antique mirrored wardrobe and the bed, disappearing into a large indoor plant in the opposite corner.

Needless to say, I had no further sleep that night and couldn't wait to relate the story to my friends the next day!

The 'man' had no similarities to anyone I knew at the time or had known in the past, so I am guessing he was just passing through, maybe a past resident of the flat who had passed over, or possibly someone, still on the earth plane, who was astral travelling. Whoever he was, I felt he was a friendly soul, there to illustrate my trust in an 'unseen' intruder. I also believe that the atmosphere and vibrations created within the flat were conducive to such a visit.

Although I have had many other interesting encounters and experiences, I have never had one as vivid as the vision of my friendly ghost.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cosmo48, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-22)
Hi Mack,
Thanks for your message and apologies for the delay in replying - I found your story very interesting. I do think the source is a bit of a mystery, whether it is just the subconscious as you say, also applying it to your situation and that of other musicians. It must be incredibly frustrating not to be able to remember the material you have dreamt, but fantastic, albeit annoying, to have so much music and inspiration come into your head.

As far as the brackets are concerned, I recall that when using two sets of brackets it is appropriate to put the rounded ones inside a set of the squared brackets! I am sure it doesn't really matter, I think it is a case of anything goes these days anyway, as it is, unfortunately with apostrophes in the wrong place (a pet hate of mine).

Back to the music; sometimes if I am meant to be doing something urgently because there are some impending changes of which I am yet unaware, I will get some very definite march music come into my head. It increases in speed and intensity until I have to take notice. It then becomes a bit scary, as I know something is going to happen so I increase the speed at which I am working. The march is very familiar, although I can't recall the name of it, it is always the same one.

To sum up, I do believe that I am receiving messages from my higher self, my guides, or someone else on the other side, but whether it applies to everyone who knows?
Anyway, thanks again.
Cheers,
Cosmo.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-17)
Hi Cosmo - I've played drums for the last 30 years, and listen to a lot of music so I have songs playing through my head almost constantly - to the point of annoyance at times!
(I also dream a lot of original (I'm sure) music which 99% of the time I can't remember when I awake. Very frustrating because it's always really good!) (Have I broken a grammar rule putting brackets inside brackets?)
I find sometimes that song lyrics pertain to certain situations in my life and can be of help, however I couldn't be sure whether my subconscious mind is playing them to me or they are being "sent" from an external source to assist me.
But very interesting as it touches on the mystery of where does inspiration / guidance come from.
Cheers
Mack
cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-17)
Hi RedWolf and Mystic25,
Thanks so much for your comments, they are very much appreciated. I will be posting more stories shortly, have also just posted one on reincarnation on the psychic experiences site.
Yes, I do believe decor and atmosphere can be a factor in drawing 'visitors', I love creating rooms with eclectic Victorian or Bohemian decor.
Regards,
cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-17)
Hi again Fergie,
Thanks again for your comments and your kind thoughts. No, I certainly wasn't anywhere near where the storm happened, although it was fairly close to where I grew up. I am living in Victoria now, but unfortunately it seems you can't escape these extreme weather events wherever you are these days. This week we have temperatures of between 35 and 41 degrees Celsius and extreme fire danger!
Yes, I do believe that constantly being given messages through songs is fairly unusual, I would like to hear if any others have similar signs.
Thanks again, Regards.
cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-17)
Hi LoveOfAbundance,
Thanks so much for your message, it is much appreciated!
๐Ÿ˜
Mystic25 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-17)
I really enjoyed this, if there was ever an ironic supernatural moment this would be it. ๐Ÿ˜Š thank you for sharing.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-17)
cosmo,
I enjoyed your story very much. I look forward to reading more of your stories. The Victorian furniture that you have in your room must bring you more "visitors" than any other room in your house.
Regards
Red
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-17)
Hi once again cosmo,

Just a small note of concern. I gather from your post that you may no longer be staying in Queanbeyan. I just hope that you were in no way affected by the big storm that hit Australia yesterday.

I have been praying for your safety ๐Ÿ˜

BTW, so nice to hear that tunes/songs have helped you sort out matters in your life. It is the first time I have heard of this happening. It is lovely to know that this has been something positive for you. ๐Ÿ˜Š
LoveOfAbundance (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-14)
Great story! It was interesting and very well-written. I could totally picture your visitor, and he did seem quite friendly. Thank you for sharing. ๐Ÿ˜
cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-13)
Hi Jenysue,
Thanks for your message. Yes, I definitely believe that there are spirits attached to a lot of antique and old items, including furniture. There were some mirrors in the room, including on the wardrobe mentioned. I do think the antiques and the atmosphere were conducive to drawing spirits to the room.
Funnily enough, I have dealt in antiques and collectables for many years and constantly have my rooms filled with them; I often think there would be spirits attached to some of them. If there is anything I acquire which has a bad vibration, I will dispose of it straight away, so generally I believe that the ones around me are positive. Their own 'attachment issues' and helping them move on, are another story though!
Anyway, thanks again.
Cheers, Cosmo.
cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-13)
Hi again Fergie,
Yes, I have had songs come as signs for a very long time now, about 30 years in fact. Some times they are stronger than others. If I have a song come into my head, especially if it keeps coming, I will have to try and remember all the words of the song and when I discover the particular line, it will almost always be relevant to what is going on in my life.
I have found it extremely interesting, sometimes it is really hard to determine the meaning, but the song will keep coming until I get the message! Sometimes it is an easy message, i.e. 'all you need is love' or something like that, telling me to put love into a situation, but other times it is more obscure. One instance was when I kept getting the song 'LA International Airport' for weeks, it is not a song I even like, but I knew it meant something. After about 2 weeks of hearing it in my head, I eventually worked out that I had a situation in my life at the time in which I was 'acting', as it was a false situation and I was not being my true self, due to fear.
As soon as I arrived at that conclusion and worked on changing the situation, the song stopped.
They can certainly give very strong messages.
I have many other symbolic signs come to me constantly, but they will warrant a whole story in themselves.
Will definitely post more soon though, thanks again for your positive comments.
Cheers, Cosmo.
Jenysue (7 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-12)
Wow, what an awesome experience! Do you think you're antique furnishings may have welcomed the spirt to appear? I've heard that some spirits can be attached to antiques. For instance, an old antique mirror sometimes is known as portal for spirits to travel through. I also enjoy antiques and can spend hours in a store wanting to buy every piece. However, I'm aware of what may come with it (attached spirit/ Portal).
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-10)
Thank you Cosmo for reading some of my stories ๐Ÿ˜, and finding them interesting.

Hmm...I have not taken songs into consideration; maybe I should pay more attention, eh?

I shall wait in anticipation, for any new posts by you. You sound like a very 'grounded' person.

Best wishes,
Fergie
cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-09)
Thanks again Fergie.
I have now had time to read some of your stories and found them all very interesting.
I don't think I have been aware of too many different 'smells' myself, but should try to concentrate on that in the future.
I will be posting some more on other experiences, a lot to do with other signs, also songs which are particularly relevant and either come on the radio or into my head at a significant time.
Anyway, thanks again.
Cosmo.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-09)
Hi Cosmo,
Thanks for your reply.

I most probably have been caught up with other *life* stuff at the moment. Although, this time last December I was overcome with a plethora of 'experiences'. I have had the odd whiff of perfume, which I associate with my departed daughter, but I haven't 'felt' her presence this December - if that makes sense.

If you care to look up any of my stories, you will find that many of them are based on my sense of smell, plus a few other signs.

I did have a few inexplicable minutes while on a recent visit to New Zealand, but I am sure they were due to residual haunts. I hope to post that experience in the near-ish future.

Be well and take care.
Fergie.
cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-09)
Thanks Fergie,
Yes, I love creating a similar atmosphere everywhere I go: it definitely has shades of Grandma's house!
It is great that the 'visitors' do make themselves known from time to time, to show you aren't alone - it is very comforting.

Interesting that you have had 'visitors' in the past. Do you feel there is any reason you haven't had any for a while? From my own point of view, I seem to feel less connected when I have been overly caught up in my physical existence and at those times I probably need to get my life back into balance. I do talk to deceased relatives and friends quite often however, but haven't actually 'seen' any of them. I usually rely on signs or symbols to know who is around me!

Thanks again.
Cosmo:)
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-06)
Cosmo, welcome to YGS. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Your description of your Victorian bedroom conjured up memories of my Granny's bedroom (minus the plants.) Many fond memories there for me.

I agree, your benevolent spirit visitor was just letting you know that you were 'not alone' in your home, which to me, is rather comforting.

I too, have had the occasional non-corporeal visitor, though not so much in the recent past. They have always made me feel protected in some way. I too am scared of having an uninvited live person in my home.
cosmo48 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-05)
Thanks so much for your comments ๐Ÿ˜
Yes Mack, I do think he was aware of me and appeared to look straight at me. As he was gliding, he continued to face me, so that when he was 'between' the wardrobe and the bed, he was still facing me.
Thanks also babygoatpuller, I believe that 'ghosts', including loved ones, surround us all the time, some just temporarily slip into our dimension to make themselves visible for various reasons. I am not scared of them, as I feel them all the time, just a touch on the shoulder or on the top of my head can be one of many indications.
Thanks Tweed, yes I feel very comfortable in the cluttered Victorian decor, a past life thing I believe.
I do think that my ghost did decide to 'wake' me up; I found it hard at the time to understand the concept that I could 'see' him clearly with my eyes shut and then actually see him with my eyes open. I do think he probably wanted me to know that I wasn't alone too!
The funny thing was that later, I took that indoor plant (a philodendron), with me when I moved house and I always felt it had different energy to my other plants. Unfortunately I eventually had to leave it behind when I moved again later.
I do try not to have fear of anyone in the physical world, as I believe any fear will attract a similar situation to you; however that is often easier said than done.
Thanks again for your feedback. Cosmo ๐Ÿ˜
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-04)
Well written, vivid recount, thanks for sharing.
Did your visitor appear to be aware of you?
Mack
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-03)
Yes Cosmo, it's the living that scares the holy crap out of me. I think ghosts are easier to deal with. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I enjoyed this and look forward to reading more from you.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-03)
Cosmo, I really love the way you think, and your Victorian style decor sounds awesome!

I too am far more afraid of the living than any ghost. I'm surprised such a practical observation was met with such shock by your friends! Wonder if the ghost you saw overheard you telling your friends this and decided to 'wake' you up one night. Perhaps he wanted you to know you weren't alone, in a nice way. Really rather lovely. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: