You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Union Cemetery Spirits Hangout By Tree

Real Ghost Stories

Union Cemetery Spirits Hangout By Tree

 

This uncomfortable feeling took place in the fall 2004 when me and a friend took a ride up route 59 on Sunday afternoon to the intersection of 59 and 136 arriving at the historical Union Cemetery. Now usually I go to these historical burial grounds in Connecticut to look at the grave stones and absorb all the rich history this state has to offer. But this time we just went there to see if we could get a thrill being near the Halloween season. Nothing was happening, no ill feelings, no sense of discomfort while walking around the grounds.

If you have or have not been there, there is a small dirt parking area just in front of the main gate on route 136 to the corner of route 59. You can walk straight into the property and go left towards route 59 or right towards the church. Straight and to the left in the distal part of the property there are a few trees set along the back edge of the property near the creek that runs along the back to or from behind the small church that is also located within the gated area. One tree in particular that is quite large I'd say is surrounded by a few head scattered headstones. As I looked over in that direction it looked like a nice place to explore.

I commented to my friend, "That's where I would hang out". We soon walked into the area and preceded to walk around the tree. It was shaded with headstones place strategically around the tree. I don't remember if it was an oak tree or maple. It's the largest tree in the cemetery.

After about a minute we were both bombarded with overwhelming sadness and anxiety that we left immediately and fled for the car. Because we both felt strange, we believe that on this day, there was a lot of activity in the Union Cemetery.

Other hauntings by bigvig

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bigvig, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Peace887 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-09)
Spooky. It is good that you put your story on here with the name of the Cemetery as maybe others in future will have a strange experience in the same place and find your account while browsing online for answers.
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-07)
to my way of thinking if you have a bad vibe about something you should listen to that.

It is hard to disern what is fact and what happens naturally. We all have preconceived ideas about things that naturally do not come to fuition

I am a poet, autho, phi;osipher sculptor, and jeweller maker and I am proud of what I create. And I respect other peoples art/interpreyation on lifr

Hey red wolf,
Letts bury the hatchet
Pain can mke you mad, bin there gone that 18 months weuth a broken leg 😆 😆 😆
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Hi BigVig,

With what Manafon says about tree hauntings, I wonder if, in these instances, the trees themselves are the ones communicating to you. Kind of like throwing out a message to anyone who may receive it. Wood itself is good at retaining and soaking in vibes/emotions. As these trees thrive from human remains in a cemetery, I wonder if a tree, as an entity, would reach out in such a manner. 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Hi bigvig, the emotions you and your friend had might have been due to picking up of emotions of some sad spirits that were present in that area. It might have been the reason. Did you discuss it with anyone else or did you ask anyone in that area, who is having some interest in paranormal or even others, if they had any such experience. Or you can ask the people, who visit the church regularly. If you had done some investigation, please do share it with us.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
Hi bigvig--Trees do seem to occasionally harbor spirits of people who died in their vicinity. A book I read several years ago titled, "True Stories From the Great Ghost Hunter" by Elliott O'Donnell (the 'great' ghost hunter of the title) included a very interesting chapter on hauntings that occurred within close proximity of trees or from the tree itself. Information collected by O'Donnell of these hauntings took place in the 1930s and 40s and all centered on parks within the city limits of London.

The feelings of "overwhelming sadness and anxiety" that both you and your friend experienced directly under the tree in your account, does suggest it harbors, potentially, spirits of some long dead Union soldiers. Very similar feelings were reported to O'Donnell. Of course trees can also be closely linked with nature spirits. Considering the location, it seems human spirits would be more likely in your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: