You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Things that Go Bump in the Middle of the Afternoon

Real Ghost Stories

Things that Go Bump in the Middle of the Afternoon

 

I was at home alone one afternoon with my infant son. My son was about 10 months old at the time. He had fallen asleep in his bouncer downstairs in the living room as he often does. I was upstairs dusting and sweeping the bedrooms. I always keep the doors double locked when I am home alone, even during the day. We live in a small town, but, we live on the main drag of town and occasionally have runs of break-ins in our county. A friend of mine had called while I was cleaning, so, I was talking to her as I worked upstairs.

I heard some noises coming from the kitchen. I was immediately concerned and alerted my friend who I was talking with. She told me to quietly walk down while I had her on the phone and check things out. I was freaked out because my baby was down there alone! I went downstairs and no one was there, all the doors were still locked and my baby was still sound asleep. The noises sounded like dishes clanging and my trash can (which is a heavy metal step can) opening and closing. I thought I was just crazy and went back upstairs and continued cleaning. Once again, I heard the mysterious noises and once again went down and checked on my baby who was still sound asleep. No one was around and no sign of anything being disturbed. So, I went back upstairs.

I wasn't up there long when I heard my baby screaming at the top of his lungs. I ran down the stairs as fast as I could and in the living room where he was. He was standing up straight in his bouncer, stiffened up, and turned toward the door behind him just freaking out. That is when I noted the door to be unlocked and wide open! I was still on the phone with my friend and could barely even tell her what had just happened! I was totally freaked out!

This is just one of the many experiences I've had in my home. I plan to share more at a later time. My home is at least one hundred years old. We live in a very historic town with lots of old homes.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AllieRN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AllieRN (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-09)
Just an update to my experience. My son is going to be five soon and is a big preschool man. I don't notice him talking to anyone anymore as he has gotten older but occassionally if he is playing alone upstairs something spooks him and he will come downstairs and tell me. He never really ellaborates too much he just simply says "something scared me mommy.". He doesn't want to tell me what scared him and I don't push the issue. I hope maybe sometime when he gets a little older he will tell me. Things seem to be really calm in my home and have been for awhile. It seems the activity comes and goes. I find that really wierd. My older children talk about things more and continue to be creeped out by their room. They are 15 and 11. Their room is actually an old summer kitchen with a root cellar at the end that is just used for storage. I attribute the activity to it being a very old home. I have never really felt threatened. I have had my share of experiences that startle or scare me a little at the moment but never have felt the need to leave or move. I love my home and plan to be there for years to come. My older children claim to have seen shadow people in their room. They still sleep in there, but, won't sleep in there without the other one being in the room with them.It's hard sometimes trying to figure out what is really going on verses what is their overactive imagination. I used to sleep in that room at one time. I had a couple of things startle me, but, nothing like what they describe. Are they more sensitive or just creeped out kids?
WIckedWitch2000 (1 stories) (71 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
I CAN interact with ghosts, and I'm an expert - What your baby was doing was, there was a BABY ghost which would have been 1-2 years old. If it's true her name is Emily Clifton, she caught a fire by accident in her house while in the living room. While then, the house got smashed down, and there was another house made. (Which is clearly your house now.) I do too know that she talks to your baby and means NO harm, so if you hear your baby again yapping, be not so feared just while you are there - be with your baby - just in case, so don't be feared, I am saying because Emily was a sweet, sweet girl.

About me is, I help a lot of people here, make their hauntings cross-over. So if I make this up to you. Stare where your baby is looking and yapping and try concentrate, you may see the baby figure and speak to it. I am sure she was 3 years old when she caught the fire. So she would be able to speak unless she is 1 or 2. So try speaking and concentrating and if she asks "Where is my mummy?" Tell her once "She is dead sweety." Or if not allowing or too much parentish - Tell her "I am not sure, but you can stay with me.". Allow her in the house, as if that, your baby gets more attention than ever, and actually will have a friend. By then you can go on your computer.

Thank-you for sharing.

Rhiannon O'Rourke.

P.S You and people, may think I'm crazy, but what I knowledge, is more than a experience.
AllieRN (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-17)
Hey guys its been awhile since I've been on the site. I've been working night shift on the weekends and it has messed our schedule up here at home. I just thought I would reply to your comments. The experience in my story happened about a year and a half ago. My son is now 2. I have been startled at times with different things happening, but, I can't say that I am scared to live here. I've never really felt threatened in that manner. Thank God!
I do sometimes think that my son sees and even interacts with something or someone at times. He often looks up the stairs and jibber jabbers or sometimes will be playing upstairs and do the same. I almost wonder if maybe it is a child. The things that we experience are more mischievious than threatening. Almost like it wants to make it's presence known. Just this past week we were in the kitchen, My older kids were sitting at the bar eating, my toddler was in the doorway between the kitchen and dining room. I was trying to keep him in the dining room because he was playing with my sweeper attachment and I didn't want him waving it around in the kitchen while people were still eating. My twelve year old son witnessed the play dough on the shelf by the sink come flying off and whiz by my head. It was a little startling. I just kind of played it off cause I didn't want them to be freaked out. I think my older son is aware of things but he doesn't talk about them so I don't push the issue. My daughter is a bit younger and severely asthmatic so the last thing I need is for her to freak out!
I have other experiences to share. I will try to get them posted when the toddler allows me to sit at the computer longer than five minutes! Lol! Thanks for all of your comments.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
AllieRN, boy, I think that if I thought someone had gotten into my home at some point and there was that much distance between my infant and myself I would have been carrying my child around with me. That may just be paranoia on my part, but dang. You did not mention how much time had lapsed between this story and now. I was just wondering if your son still senses things, as I assume he saw or felt something to make him scream as he did. Thank you for the story.
megasega1258 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Maybe that's your neighbor washing dishes at the other side of your wall hehee! 😆 🤔
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-14)
I completely agree with evilblackwidow. Whatever it was that spooked you was obviously upset that you left your baby alone downstairs while you were cleaning upstairs. Not that you were neglectful, but this being was simply trying to get your attention away from your phone call and cleaning and onto your child.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-14)
I would be very curious as to the history of the home, this may have a lot to do with what you are experiencing. I look forward to hearing more. Please keep us updated.

God Bless!
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-14)
If there was no other party(alive) in your house but you and your child, I would say that there was someone displeased on you being upstairs while your child slept.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Wow! I think the first time I heard something downstairs I would have brought my baby back upstairs with me. I too wonder if there was someone there and when they heard you coming down the stairs they hid. OR, it may have well been a ghost! I don't know why the ghost would need to open the front door to get out since it IS a ghost! Who knows why ghosts do the things they do though. Really strange and creepy story. Thanks for sharing. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Could there have been someone in your home and you some how missed them? Not saying I disbelieve you. I just like to rule out the possible before declaring something impossible or paranormal. Thanks for the story AllieRN.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Wolfman456 (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Good story. I've had experiences like that at my place which is 130 years old. Are you scared to live there because of your experiences?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: