You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Sobs In The Middle Of The Night

Real Ghost Stories

Sobs In The Middle Of The Night

 

I have occasionally read stories on YGS for the past few years. I am 21 and was raised in a moderately religious Hindu family. I have heard several stories from my mother and grandmother but my father's side of the family and I have remained strong skeptics. I, personally, have been waiting for something irrefutable to happen with me to change me into a firm believer.

A few months back, a couple of things happened. I am sure they might be explained logically but they still got stuck in my mind.

I was in Kota, preparing for an entrance exam. I was living in a girl's hostel with twenty other girls preparing for the same. I generally go to bed early and I am rarely part of the late night group studies or gossip sessions.

Nights in Kota can generally be described as such. Streets are spookily deserted in the students' area, with dogs barking sometimes for no reason at all but inside a hostel, a bunch of friends will be having the time of their life, awake until the wee hours of morning. Though, things change when there are only a couple of months to go for the exam. People stay confined to their rooms and spend maximum waking hours studying.

It was one such night. Two months before the exam, I decided to stay awake and study late into the night. There were two other people on my floor who went to sleep around 12. I was studying in my room alone. After about an hour, I called up a friend in another city to curb the feeling of loneliness and we just stayed on call while we both studied, talking occasionally. I could hear the dogs barking in the silence of the night outside.

At about 3:30 AM, I cut the call so I could focus more. A few minutes later, I started hearing sobs of a girl. They were soft at first but gradually grew in intensity. I suspected a girl in my hostel must be crying, maybe on the floor above mine, and deliberated for a few minutes whether I should go and check on her. The thing that felt weird was that these 3 or 4 girls always stayed awake in a group, then why hadn't someone comforted her until now? And why would somebody sob so loudly in the middle of the night if they knew everybody was asleep?

Anyway, for whatever reasons, I decided not to leave my room and started studying again. Within a few minutes, the sobs suddenly stopped and suddenly, a child started wailing. This time the sound was coming from outside my window. At this point, I got scared. I peeped out of the window but saw no one. Slowly, inch by inch, I closed my window and sat beside it, trying not to think much.

It stopped after a few minutes and I don't remember much after it. It was around 4:15 AM and I just went to sleep.

The next day, I didn't even give much thought to it until another such incident took place in my hometown, only a few days later, which I will write about in my next post.

I do regret not giving this incident any thought on the day after. I could have asked around if somebody was crying in real or not. I think that will remain a mystery now.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thisdriven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shabtslover (11 posts)
 
3 years ago (2020-09-19)
I used to live in Kota too and it was very busy even at night in my area but after lockdown it felt like a city during a zombie apocalypse 😁 anyways did you ask about the second incident at your hometown? If someone else heard the sobs too?
Dennis191 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-11)
That's 45 minutes of sobbing and wailing...
It's a bit odd though.
_Wraith_ (8 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-06-11)
I do want to know about the second incident which happened in your hometown.
sn-e-ha (10 posts)
-2
5 years ago (2019-06-07)
As far as I knoow, Sobs heard in kota should'nt be a new thing 😜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: