You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: She Attended Her Funeral

Real Ghost Stories

She Attended Her Funeral

 

My great grandmother was my hero and I was her pride and joy. She was a beautiful Cherokee woman with a broad variety of knowledge and wisdom, she taught me everything I know about gardening and herbal remedies along with respecting the land and animals. I used to love trying to braid her long black hair that flowed down to her waist while I listened to one of her amazing legends.

I spent most of my summers with her making wonderful memories, though one summer night will never be forgotten. We had spent most of our day in her Lilly garden and canning apples when I noticed that she just didn't seem herself.

She looked tired and once when I asked her if she was alright she said her head hurt but not to fuss, she would be fine in a little while. So we went on with our day and later that night as she was telling me a story about how there are souls in every star, which I still believe. She told me that she was going to have to call my mom and have her come get me. She still didn't feel well.

Sad and concerned I followed my grandmother inside and slowly gathered my things. As I sat on her porch swing curled up in her arms, listening to her heartbeat she told me something that still sticks with me. " You know, that deep inside every one has gifts and everyone's are different. You can either believe in them and let them grow like our Lillies or you can stop believing in them and let them go. The choice is our own, sometimes they can be confusing or scary but sometimes they can be the answer you've been looking for. You're not too different from me you just have to uncover it. I love you little miss."

I went home that night with my grandmother's words running through my seven year old mind trying to make sense of it all as I tossed and turned hoping that my grandmother would feel better the next day so I could go see her.

Though to my discouragement she wasn't, days turned into a week and I was determined to go see her. Thinking of every excuse in the book We could go take her soup, somebody had to water the Lillies and the vegetable garden. I could go tell her a story she loved my stories that would make her feel better. But none of my excuses worked, instead my mom told me she was very sick in the hospital and that we would go see her the next day.

The next morning as my brother and I were eating breakfast my mom got a phone call saying that she had passed away. Beyond saddened I told my mom I didn't want to go to her funeral, but she insisted that I did to which I finally agreed but only if I could wear the dress my grandmother had gotten me that summer. It was a light yellow Sun dress with pink flowers on it.

She was hesitant but agreed, as we arrived at the funeral home I took my seat and tried to avoid the casket. I didn't want to see her laying there. I wanted her back so we could plant flowers and she could push me on the rope swing and I could hug her.

The service began and a lot of people spoke over her, it just didn't seem right instead of being sad I was angry. Half the people who were speaking over her rarely came to see her if anyone should be up there it was me. I knew her better than anyone.

I was just about to leave and go in the parlor when I heard my grandmother's voice. " Remember my special girl, I love you and I am always with you." I looked beside me to find my grandmother sitting there smiling at me. I was about to nudge my mom to tell her when my grandmother put a single finger to her lip and acted as if she were locking them. I giggled and did the same thing showing her I understood.

Of course my mother pinched me and told me to be quiet and when I turned around my grandmother was gone. I will always remember that day with a combination of gratitude and sadness but mainly with the knowing that my grandmother will always be with me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mystic25, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

myra97 (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-23)
Hlw mystic25... Same thing I had experienced when my aunt (Maa) passed away... It's the strong bond of love between us and our loved ones which draw them towards us even after death... I'm sorry for the great loss you had suffered... Stay blessed ❤
Mystic25 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-08)
Babygoatpuller, Thankyou for your kind comment, She was and to me still is such an amazing woman.

Otter, Your very welcome and I can completely understand that. Sometimes it's really hard to let someone you love very much go. Though in the end everyone has a time to go on. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

I wish you both the best.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Beautiful, thank you for sharing. The line "I wanted her back so we could plant flowers and she could push me on the rope swing and I could hug her" really hit home, that was the way I felt when my father died. Thoughts of a child full of longing and love, even though I was an adult.
xx
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
This is beautiful Mystic. I have a deep respect for the Native American culture, lore and wisdom. You've made your grandmother sound like someone I would want have as a friend.

Thanks for sharing a little part of her. ❤
Mystic25 (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-06)
Thank you for reading it, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. She will forever live in my memory.
Zeromaru (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-06)
Thank you for sharing, your memory with her will always be in your heart and hers. 😊
Mystic25 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-06)
DandK, Your welcome I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I have many wonderful memories with her.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Mystic25, thank you for sharing your wonderful story. What a nice experience to have and such a good memory of your grandmother.

DandK
Mystic25 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Spiritwaiting, Thankyou for adding this to your favorites,I'm glad that you enjoyed it that much. 😊

She indeed was a very sweet loving person to anyone whom would accept her love. As for my gifts through the years I have uncovered a lot of them and while I am still fine tunning them so to speak I try to use them to the best of my abilities.

I hope that she would be proud of me for who I have become. She still vists sometimes but I rarely see her. Just sense or smell her presence...it's kind of hard to exsplain.

Lady-Glow, Yes it is Georgia in the USA. I've lived here all but a year and a half of my life. While I have Cherokee in me I'm not sure how much.

My great grandmother that I was writing about in my story was half Cherokee and my mom's dad was half so who knows. Thank you for your kind comment, she was very wise and I try to carry that with me and pass down her legends and words of wisdom down to my daughter. She means so much to me even now.

I wish the best to the both of you.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
-1
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
This is such a lovely story! Your Grandmother was a very wise woman.

Thanks for sharing.

I was a little surprise to read "Georgia" as the country where this story took place and then that you are part Cherokee...😕
But you must mean this happened in Georgia, USA, right?
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Mystic25,
This was a beautiful story.
The way you have written it, I could imagine how loving,sweet,and beautiful she was as a person.
Those are wonderful memories of her.
I hope you have discovered your gifts
😊.I'm sure that's what she would want you to do.

Beautifully written,
And thankful you are a sharing this with us.
My favs list it goes!

Spiritwaiting

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: