You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Beginning of It All

Real Ghost Stories

The Beginning of It All

 

I've told you before how my Ex Mother in Law's house was a little, ummm "creepy", so I figured I'll tell you where it all started. My ex mother in law was cleaning out the attic of her new house before she officially moved in. There were some strange things left behind by the former owner who was more or less forced out of his home by his children, and moved into a nursing home to be cared for.

It was a large house, with a 1/2 finished basement, 3 full bedrooms, and a somewhat finished attic that was spilt into 3 rooms, a storage area and two bedrooms. She was tidying up the place, and found an old milk crate filled with some religious books, she had no idea what religion, but she was VERY catholic and didn't want them in her home. Upon further investigation, she said it looked like the were some black magic type of books. So she put them in the pile that would be tossed out later on when her husband got home to help.

While up in the attic, she uncovered a box with a beautiful porcelain doll inside it. She picked it up and noticed it was in great condition despite its obvious age, and thought she would hang on to it, possibly have it appraised and see if it was worth anything. It was clearly an antique and had incredible detail. She sat the doll on top of some other boxes to keep it from getting damaged in her cleaning attempts. As soon as she put the doll down and turned to finish working, she heard a large inhale followed by a slow, steady exhale coming from the direction of where the doll sat. She said the hair on the back of her neck stood up and she had goose bumps all over. She turned around praying to see her husband or one of her kids behind her, but unfortunately, she was all alone in the house. She shoved the doll back in the box, threw it on the floor and left the house and waited until her husband got home and promptly sent him to the new house to get rid of EVERY last thing that attic... She chalked it up to her being tired and over worked, but looking back, she realized that was just the begriming of years and years of unexplainable stories.

I'll share more of those stories with you soon!

Other hauntings by skeptical81

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, skeptical81, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Angelyn (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-18)
First of all, this is a very interesting story and I would love to hear more if there is more!
Secondly, I would like to comment on evilblackwidow9's comment. I don't really that any offence should be taken because this story is the story being told of someone's experience. It is not someone's opinion or anything like that. And also, there are many different forms of magic in the world so the books that were found in the attic may very well be a form of black magic, it doesn't HAVE to be Wiccan magic. Also, the MIL didn't seem to know what kind of books they were for sure so they could have been books that had been used for "evil". She didn't say they were deffinatly "black magic" books.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
Oh, please tell me there are more stories! I believe, too, that this was just a relieved sigh from the previous owner who had come to believe that perhaps all of those "wonderful finds" that once belonged to them were finally getting some attention. I also do not believe, whatever that book may have been, had any bearing on the sigh that was heard. Being the devout Catholic that your ex-mother-in-law seems to be I can see how she immediately rid her home of something that she viewed to be so offensive.
I do have a question for you though. After reading your story I looked at your name. Are you still as much a skeptic as when you chose it? Thank you for the story.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
EBW9 I read the story twice and I wasn't able to infer the same indignation that you were, but then again my beliefs are somewhat newer than yours and haven't been persecuted in the manner that witches have. You know I have a soft spot for wiccans, pagans, and those who follow a different path. You also have to understand that with her M.I.L. Being a strict Catholic then anything short of the bible is going to be out of the question in her home. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a Book of Shadows or the Kur'an to her, as she is just going off of her beliefs and what she has been taught. Skeptical81 thanks for sharing your story with us. I highly doubt that the religious text or the doll had anything to do with the sounds your ex M.I.L heard, but then again with the paranormal you never know.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
It just sounded to me that you were blaming the books for the episode with the doll. Normally went people here the words "Black Magic" they think "evil", I guess the best words would be books dealing with magic.

Blessed Be Ye
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Yes I agree on the comment that Bellissima made, I think it is sad for someone to kick them out of their home, but I do believe that was a sigh of all the things that were being desposed. I don't really know about other religons, but everyone has a free will to do so, and it might have scared her to see the books. But other than that I think it was a good story, because the man may have not wanted to leave and he was proboly connected to the doll in some way. It could had been a gift to him. Thank you for sharing. ❤
skeptical81 (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
hey blackwidow, I had no idea! I'm sorry for offending you! What term should I use to avoid sounding so ignorant again? I honestly meant no harm, just repeating what my she told me.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
I'm with Bellissima on this one. I wonder who's books those were? I doubt if they were the old mans books and doll. Maybe it was the owners before him or maybe someone in his family put them there to hide them. But, another question. Why would someone just leave those books there? How easy would it be to forget something like that in the attic(the books). I know I wouldn't forget them. I guess whom ever they belonged maybe stopped practicing! Thanks for your story. ~Shelby ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Hi, skeptical! My thoughts are that the sigh came from the man who was the previous owner. It seems his family wasn't very caring toward him, didn't even want or care about his belongings. The doll may have been important to him, from a family member or child who passed. I think maybe when she came across his properties, especially the doll, he felt some satisfaction that someone paid attention. It doesn't sound at all like a threatening experience but I think your Mom was already a bit frightened by the books she found. Thanks for sharing your story, I really enjoyed it!
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Ok I am a little offended by the "Black Magic" thing. I am a wiccan and what the Christian world views as "Black Magic" is not the way it is in the wiccan world. In the wiccan world, actual Black Magick is just the secound level of learns magick, a step up from white(which is the beginning stage) and also the wiccan's abide by the law "Do What Ye Will, But Harm None"

Blessed Be Ye
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
After reading this story and your first one related to your ex mother-in-laws house, I can't wait to here more! How frightening these events must have been for all of you. Do you have further information on the history of the house and its previous owner? Did the owner practice ' black magic'? I wonder if it was simply the owner showing he still is attached to the home or if his 'previous preactices' had anything to do with the occurances.

I look forward to hearing more!

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: