You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: We Tried to Call You!

Real Ghost Stories

We Tried to Call You!

 

I have been telling this story for years. It has achieved legendary status in our family because it is supported by no less than five people. This is not necessarily a ghost story, but exhibits some sort of connection between family members.

This story involves my late grandmother on my mother's side, Margaret. She was an amazing woman who excelled in art and enjoying life. She was very gregarious, articulate, loving and open-minded. She believed in a world in which things are not always what they seem. Though I personally put a premium on science, she kept my mind similarly open to the possibility that the world is bigger and more diverse than most people think.

This tale takes place in the early '60s in central Ohio. My family has lived in the region for over 150 years. My grandmother and grandfather lived in Columbus, but had a little summer cottage south of town in a little vacation community called Hide-Away Hills near Chillicothe. The house they maintained there had electricity, but no phone. This was not unusual in rural communities at the time.

One night, my grandparents were there alone. They had gone to bed at a normal time, but my grandmother was tossing and turning most of the night. In her sleep, she kept imploring my grandfather, "Richard, answer the phone! We have to get the phone! It's ringing, answer the phone!" My grandfather (Richard), knowing there was no phone in the house down there kept telling her so and trying to get her to stop thrashing about. She told the story as he having said, "Go to sleep, you old bat, there's no phone here!" He is a practical and often stoic man, but he loved his wife beyond words, in spite of the "old bat" reference. Still, she slept fitfully and murmured throughout the night about a telephone.

In the morning, she told my grandfather about the strange dreams she had that night. She related to him that she had dreamt of a dark room in which a pink coffin was standing upright. In the coffin was her mother. Around the coffin were here four siblings chanting, "we tried to call you, we tried to call you, we tried to call you..." He confirmed that she had been wailing about answering a phone, but of course, there was no phone down at Hide-Away, so he was confused and assumed she was having a nightmare.

They soon packed-up and drove the short hour back north to their home in Columbus. Upon arrival, they opened the front door and the phone in the kitchen was ringing. My grandmother went to answer it. On the other end was her sister: "Margie, Mother died last night. We tried to call you all night, but nobody would pick-up. I'm so sorry, we tried to call you..."

My grandmother's blood did not chill. Based upon the strange occurrences she had throughout her life, she half-expected something like this and was pretty tense the whole ride home. As the family began to deal with the passing of their matriarch, it became clear that as word had spread that night, many of her siblings had tried to contact my grandmother to let her know.

What is this beautiful, strange and mystical connection between family members? Family is my religion.

Other hauntings by Ohiowatha

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ohiowatha, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tempe_Toxic (10 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-21)
That story gave me a chill. I have been having dreams about my mother for several weeks now and they feel so real. I hope I never have to go through what your grandmother went through. That kind of dream, seeing her in the coffin. You told the story well from your a fly on the wall type perspective. You are very talented. It would break my heart. Bless you and Your family.

-Tempe ❤
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
Things like this happened in my family too, while my mother & grandmother were alive. This was a very good story. It made me smile. 😊
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Very interesting story, and very well written. Events such as this has to make us wonder about things and realize that not everything is black and white. Thanks for letting us read this.
SnailBug (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-01)
Cool story! Things like this happen in my family a lot... We know when the other will call or pop up unexpectedly. I have also had premonitions about my sister and a couple other family members, and apparently some other people in my family have done the same. My family calls it "That Smith Thing", after my grandma's maiden name (Smith) since I, my mom, my sister, my aunt and my female cousin all seem to have "it"!
bam_218 (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-14)
A similar thing happened to me 2 years ago. It's amazing the bond between families. Great story.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
I beileive she had a visoin.You're grandmother may just be a pyschic without knowing? I do beileve so. I hope this helps. Her nightmares were telling her she should have stayed home. Never left so she would have known sooner. Please reply back.
With love,
Yuki
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Ohiowatha, another great story. I agree that the bond between family members is a strong one, and not just blood relatives either. It transends the veil between this world and the next. Thank you my friend for sharing it with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Pardon the interruption, please, Ohiowatha: EBW9, am I to understand from your comment that Native Americans have a "closer link" to the other side due to the practice of honoring their deceased, as opposed to say a pagan who believes we all came from the earth and will again become as a blade of grass (written for simplicity sake, not to be taken literally)? In no way am I trying to offend you, I am merely tying to understand.
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
What I accutely meant was wiccans believe that women are more so "psychic" as you will because we are more connected with the earth because of child birth and etc. But the artistic is a way of being centered towarded the earth. But I myself believe that it is a gift that is given to you by your God/Goddess(whatever religion you follow) and it is there to help you. BUt a lot of people dismiss theirs. I think with the Native American link, they are more connected with the "other side" because they excepted it in their religion so long ago that it was normal and passed down from generation to generation.

If I did come across as offensive, agian I apologize and hope that I answered your questions.

Blessed Be Ye
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
I can see why this is a told story throughout your family. It is amazing the connections some families have. I'm sorry of your loss, but I enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing 😊
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Good story love it!
My Grandmother had that same thing she could fell or sense things before they happened including her own passing away. My mom inherited it as well. I will be stressing out about something or down about another and she will call me to see why I am feeling so down. At times it is kind of scary. There are certain things that I don't want her to worry about and before you know it she is calling me about it.
Thanks for sharring 😉
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Haha, no, not at all, black. I always enjoy your posts and stories. This response was written with a purely scholarly tone and in no way, again, am I disrespecting you, just nurturing some healthy debate. I often wonder if certain people have greater magnetism based on myriad attributes, like being artistic, Native American, etc. Yours is a valid point and I'm just trying to elucidate upon it. No offense taken at all.

If anything, MY apologies are in order. I often come across rather aggressive online. Thanks for your patience, Black.

Nothing but love.
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
I am sorry if I affended you, what I typed came out wrong and I do apologize. Please forgive me.

Blessed Be Ye
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Thanks for all your comments, guys. I'm relieved that people believe me here. Sometimes when I tell this story it's met with skepticism because it's almost TOO perfect. But all I can say is that it's corraborated by every individual involved.

EvilBlack, not sure how this really relates to my story:
"My grandmother also had experiences like that but with her own children I am told. But it is said that women carry more of an psychic ablity than men because we are more connected with the Earth..."

However, I am wary to assume too much of anything in a discipline so poorly understood. Who says this? I've never heard such a claim from anyone. And how are women more connected with the Earth specifically? And, consequently, how doese said connection support psychic ability? Not disrespecting your opinion at all, just trying to hash-out some sallow points.

In fact, within my immediate family, it appears that my brother has had the most numerous and intense paranormal experiences. I have had the most prophetic dreams and a few paranormal experiences. After that, my stepfather has had the most run-ins with a certain entity in our old home. My uncle, too, has had pyschic-like experiences with, not his daughter, but his own son. Outside our immediate family, my grandmother is really the only woman to have had any overt paranormal experiences. However, that's just my personal log of data. Perhaps my family is full of outliers. But really, what I'm getting at is that it's most likely that there is no way to quantify a paranormal difference between genders at this time.

Then again, it's said women are more verbally-inclined and men more physical. But these are traits that are easily tested with a scientific method. Of course, there are converses to every dichotomy.

I am reticent to assume too much conveniently based upon speculation. It's easy to believe what you want to believe; it's much harder to remain objective and base your beliefs off of serial experience. Again, there's just not enough empirical data on ANY of this to start generalizing yet.

Thanks for reading, guys!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Ohiowatha,
How amazing! My Grandmother too (on my Mothers side) has the ability to sense things. She told my parents that I was pregnant with my daughter before WE even knew for sure. She was listening to the radio, a sermon was going on and the preacher made reference to and linked David and Esther in the Bible. This had been the first time she ever heard a connection between the two. When she wrote in and asked for the transcript of the program, there was no mention of either of them. Odd, but true. No one ever questioned her as to how she knew it was me who was pregnant (I have an older sister and brother- though my brother is a Catholic Priest, so it couldn't have been him.) It is comforting to know this kind of stuff happens in other families too! Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Ohiowatha, thanks for another great story. Family connections can be so strong. I really enjoyed this story, I'll be adding it to my faves as well!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Again, another story showing the connection between family members! My husband, oldest daughter, my sister and my Mother have these kind of connections. There are times when you start to say something and at the same time the person says exactly what your saying or were going to say. It happens so often between my husband and I. One time we were in the kitchen and our son was talking to us and we answered him back the same exact words at the same exact moment, like we were in sterio and my husband just shook his head in amazement of the bond spiritually and mentally we have with each other. Then there are times when your picking up the phone to call and when you pick up the phone and listen for the dial tone, then go to call, you hear HELLO, HELLO and it is the very person you were going to call. Or at the moment your thinking of that particular person, the phone rings and it's that person you were thinking of. My daughter and I have such a connection that one time when we were in a heated fight about something, the light in her room got very bright, made a buzzing noise and then dimmed. Her friend was there to witness it. It is very amazing though of the dream that your Grandmother had. That is definitely something unexplainable! Thanks so much for sharing this story, I enjoyed it. ~Shelby ❤
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
My grandmother also had experiences like that but with her own children I am told. But it is said that women carry more of an psychic ablity than men because we are more connected with the Earth.

Blessed Be Ye
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Ohiowatha,
I enjoy reading all of your accounts very much! This one definately rates up there with the tops in my opinion. What a lovely story and what lovely sentiment. I agree, family is everything--everything we know, everything we need to know and learn comes from family.

Thanks for sharing your ecxperiences with us. I wait to hear more accounts from your special experiences.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: