You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Voice That Called My Mom

Real Ghost Stories

The Voice That Called My Mom

 

This is my first story here, although I have been reading stories and following posts on this website for quite some time now. I have had some experiences in past which were hard to explain by logic; however, I always shrugged them off as I know no one in my family would believe me.

Just for the background, we are not allowed to talk about ghosts/hauntings in our home as something paranormal happened with my mother when she was in college. (I know about the incident through my grandmother being the only one who would talk about it openly; maybe I can write about it in details in a different story.) Things keep happening now and then and I keep putting them at the back of my head, blaming my imagination.

This particular incident happened when I was 14 years old and I believe this to be the most substantial proof of something paranormal and not just my imagination as I was not alone, and my mother experienced it too. It was a hot summer Sunday afternoon. I and my mother were home alone, as my father had gone on an outing with this friends.

First a brief description of my home for better clarity. Ours is a penthouse on 5th floor (house made on the roof of a building), so we have no common walls with any apartments whatsoever. The nearest building is separated by a lawn so we never hear any noises from apartments in there. Once you enter the house, you are in the living room extended to a dining room. This dining room opens up to all other rooms in the house. On the right is my room, past my room is the kitchen. Left of the dining room is my parents' bedroom. And straight ahead from the dining room is the door to the terrace which covers pretty much all the sides of our house.

As I said, it was a summer afternoon, hence it was pretty quiet outside. Additionally, in India we have traditional air conditioning coolers which muffle out noises as they make a humming fan noise themselves. So on to the story.

We have had our lunch and my mom and I thought we should take a peaceful nap as there is no one to disturb us. We decided to sleep in my room, so we switched on the cooler in my room, closed the terrace door to avoid light and hot breeze and lied down. As this was my room, I had my study table in here with all my paraphernalia spread out. We were lying in a position that the study table was near our heads on the right next to the wall, around half a feet apart from the bed.

We were talking to each other for 5-10 minutes when I started feeling sleepy, so we both closed our eyes to sleep. All of a sudden, there was a very faint but still clear voice that said "Ma" (meaning "mother") just outside my bedroom door in the dining room. It was very distinct and loud enough for both of us to hear it. I immediately opened my eyes and noticed my mom was surprised too. We both stared at each other, as if confirming that we both heard it and it was strange since there was no one else at our place and it was not coming from apartment downstairs. It felt like someone peeked in the room and called my mom. However, as usual we brushed it off, and tried to sleep again, but at this point I was wide awake. My mind was still trying to wrap my head around what just happened.

Just a few minutes might have passed, and I started hearing someone's footsteps around my study table, very close to the bed. I could listen the sound of objects moving as if someone was picking up my things and simply looking through them. I was really scared at that point. Because I wanted to make sure I was not hearing things, I asked my mom without opening my eyes, "Mom, can you hear that?" And she said, "Yes, it's as if someone is in this room." And that was the end of this conversation. The sounds continued for a few minutes and I think we dozed off. We have never talked about it again.

I still remember it clearly and think about it when I am alone. I am now married and live with my husband in Florida. I still hear sounds around the house which I know for sure are not logically explainable. My husband has experienced it a few times too, but again we both ignore it and get along with our daily lives.

I have debated for a long time about posting a story here, reason being I always blamed my over imagination for weird things that happened or do happen and mostly because no one around me seems willing enough to admit that they too find the incidents unusual. Please post comments if you need anything clarified, I'll be happy to answer your doubts.

Thanks a lot for reading. Apologize for the long story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mym, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Amieshe (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
My dear Mym,

I happen to be the first person who you told this story to, back then. I still remember your frozen, uncomfortable posture and trembling lips while the narration. I know how these experiences are close to you and appreciate the decision you made to publicly talk about them given how sensitive and reserved you are. I am proud of you my BFF!
While I type this, at the back of my mind I have a suggestion that you could make a chronological story-sequence of everything that happened over all these years... Just sayin.

Lotsa Love. ❤
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
I think we're all on the same page here.

My thoughts are that depending on the levels of psychic ability of the individuals, some people just KNOW whether the presence in their room is of this Earth or not, and that determines whether they really need to look at / acknowledge them.

Some also may be able to sense the motive or "type" of entity i.e that the entity just wants to frighten them so the unfortunate individual simply chooses to ignore them whilst praying under the sheets with a certain amount of (sometimes newly-found) conviction that it just goes away! 😆
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
mym and Miracles--Your thoughts on this subject have been very interesting. It seems that the paranormal presence in the case of mym and her mother may in some way actually have directly affected their responses. They both responded to what they somehow knew to be paranormal by keeping their eyes closed.

In your case, Miracles, it was your youth and inexperience that seemed to feed your fear. Did you ever ask your roommate if she knew who might have entered your apartment? Is it possible one of her friends just walked in looking for your roommate? Or is it possible that the presence was paranormal and was just so strong it seemed like a living person?
mym (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
manafon,

I agree with you. I would look too in most of the cases, but not in those where both my mind and heart are sure that what I hear is not an intruder. I was probably too scared to look and face the fact that there is no one, at least no one visible to human eyes.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
Manafon - don't get me wrong. I was 18/19 years old and that was the first time I'd basically lived on my own. So, no, at that time and age, there was no way in the world I was looking. Especially when I thought it was a human and I was terrified of what could happen if he knew I was awake.

Now, 31/32 years later, 2 kids and 1 grandbaby, sometimes I look. If it's a normal, paranormal situation, I may not because I know it more than likely will be just like the dozens of times before. I won't see whomever/whatever walked to, or opened, my bedroom door. But if there's the slightest chance it could be someone human, you bet I'm going to look. That experience I shared is the only time (that I can recall at the moment) where I thought it was a living being.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
mym--thanks for answering my questions. I just think it makes sense to ask questions if certain things seem a bit odd. You make things clear.

Miracles--I understand, by reading of your experience (and that of the o/p) that apparently some people won't look if they hear noises in their room, whether they be footsteps or the sound of objects being moved. From my perspective and experience it just goes against the law of fight or flight. To lay there while, what could be a person, walks through a room without even opening one's eyes goes against one's self preservation. Obviously there are some who react quite differently. I suppose I'm just one of those people who would look.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
Exactly Miracles! That's exactly how I felt when I heard the footsteps walking up to my bed. I wasn't facing away from where they stopped right by my head but you couldn't have pried my eyes open with a crowbar!

Something in your head is screaming "DON'T LOOK!"... And you just don't. 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
Manafon - because of personal experiences, I'm going to respond to a couple of your concerns/questions since the o/p has answered.

First, I don't think it's unbelievable that no one looked to see if a person was in the room. When I was in my late teens, I lived in an apartment with a roommate who worked nights. One night I knew someone was in my bedroom, I could feel them looking at me. I was sleeping with my back to the door and could not/would not turn around to see who/what was standing there. Eventually I fell back to sleep, not knowing. Yes, this was real. The fear I felt was overwhelming, but I chose not to look.

If mym's mom had an experience when she was younger, maybe she didn't want to possibly experience something again. Just because she's a mom doesn't mean she's fearless. And maybe she had a reason for not looking. If it was an intruder, maybe she felt they were safer if the alleged intruder didn't realize they were awake.
mym (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
Manafon1-- I understand your doubts, however, the study table was very close to our bed and it is hard to misinterpret those sounds. And the possibility of an intruder is zero because of two main reasons:
1. All the doors were closed and locked. (we closed them ourselves just before we lied down, as the cooling system is not effective if any window or door is left open).
2. If someone was to open the door, it would have made a really loud noise and we would have heard it. It had been a couple of minutes since we both lied down, so that eliminates the probability of someone coming, in case we dozed off.

I do not know if my mother looked and saw someone, but am sure she heard it too and interpreted it in the same way I did i.e. Someone walked through my room from the door to the study table and started looking through my stuff.

As I mentioned, my mother had a paranormal encounter when she was young, so although it seems bizarre, it was normal for me that she ignored something very prominent and simply went to sleep. She denies the possibility of paranormal even when it is very much evident as in this case (at least according to me). That is her way to cope with whatever happened to her.

I hope I have helped clear your doubts, if not let me know! 😊
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-16)
mym,

Interesting account. I should've bathe first before reading stories here! 😭
I guess I should take my puppy with me today when I bathe. 😨

Manafon,
I guess they got scared because they didn't even hear the door was being opened... O_O

Thank you for sharing and welcome to YGS!

Take care,
Mhanne ❤
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-15)
mym--Your account was interesting and there are many reports in psychical research literature concerning disembodied voices (single words like you describe being quite common) but a couple aspects of your account needs clarification.

It seems very unusual for both you and your mother to hear a voice and the the sounds of footsteps and objects on your desk being rummaged through without one of you looking to see if a person was there.

You write that you were too frightened to open your eyes but surely your mother looked? As this was a, "summer Sunday afternoon", I can't imagine that darkness played any part in your fear. Why wouldn't either you or your mother consider the possibility of an intruder of the human variety? It seems bizarre that you and your mother simply went to sleep after hearing a voice and someone at your desk without at least looking to see if someone had entered your house.

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you don't mind my questions but some clarification would be very helpful.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: