You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House Calls My Name

Real Ghost Stories

The House Calls My Name

 

As mentioned previously in several of my stories, I grew up in what I believed was a haunted house. Living there I did not know what it was like to be healthy. I was lucky to go through an entire week without falling mysteriously ill. Usually it was asthma attacks. I felt as though life was being sucked out of me. I was tired all the time.

Every night was spent lying awake and listening to "old house noises" like stairs creaking, doors being opened and closed, sounds of the cupboards creaking. Even the wind sounded like banshees wailing through the night. The feeling of being constantly watched, new bulbs bursting, pets refusing to enter certain areas of the house. The signs were all there.

Finally the time for me to leave drew near and I will admit I was relieved. I did leave with a heavy heart because I loved the area, I loved the people I grew up with, the cliffs where I would spend hours looking out at the cerulean sea, the boats anchored at the horizon, there was beauty everywhere but not in that house! The house I grew up in. I was attached to the place and I did love it but the fear I lived it goes beyond wordy descriptions.

I packed a few things, I gave away a bulk of my stuff. I did not want to carry anything from the old place to my new home. For the first time in my life I slept at night, an undisturbed sleep with nothing that went bump in the night. That was addictively blissful. Sadly, it didn't stop here.

I have gone back to that house and every time I passed by it felt as though the house was begging me to live there again. The house was torn down and there is a new construction in its place but the property is the same. It still has a forbidding, sinister air to it, I still get goosebumps when I dare to go close. The construction has remained incomplete because no one wanted to stay and work. Labourers complained about being slapped around at night and quit the work. Labourers came and went, and eight years later the house stands incomplete.

I still have a connection of some sort there. There have been several nights when I have been in a deep trance-like sleep and I have heard my name being whispered, images of the house floating in my head. I wake up in a cold sweat. Finally, I reached the end of my tether and I spoke to a psychic about it. He told me the house wants me back. It has to finish what it had started.

Now here's the scary part. He told me that had I lived there any longer I would not have survived. This was shocking to me because exactly three months before I left the old house I almost died (and it was not the first time). My lungs were on the verge of collapsing. I had a long asthma attack that lasted five months. When I told him this he said that would have surely been my end. He told me that the house wanted blood, my blood.

I sincerely hope that whoever lives there, lives in peace and leads a healthy happy life. Unfortunately no one has resided on that property for more than a few months. The part that has been complete has remained closed. As for me, I now lead a healthy life. Not a trace of asthma attacks. Nothing drastic has happened to me. Life is now absolutely normal. I can finally rest my head at night without lying awake in bed listening to creaks, footsteps, knocking on the door, murmurs, feelings of being watched. There's nothing extraordinary in my area and I daresay I don't miss any of it now. I can sleep with the light off though the darkness still freaks me out. I can now enjoy blissful uninterrupted sleep.

The house still calls my name but I am no longer listening!

(The history of the area (and I did do research) is that it was a burial ground of some sort. The area was a vantage point in the 18th century. There were gruesome murders. There is a cemetery not far from my old home (and more experiences to talk about). There is a lot of dark deeds that went unnoticed. There were a few murders in recent times as well. Auras that give a vicious vibe. When the sun goes down there will be lots of things that go bump in the night!)

Other hauntings by Charmsdes

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Charmsdes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Slyester (guest)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-14)
This is a good story and you narrated it very well this story sends shivers down my spine. It's good that you left that house I like to suggest you something I pratice meditation everyday early in the morning for atleast one hour mediation helps us by boosting our positive energy. Our mind and soul becomes strong and because of this no spirit or any form of negative energy can affect us. If you are suffering from problem like hearing sounds just pratice this and never let your mind being affected by negative thoughts. All the best to you👍
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-01)
Ok the controversy over the length of the author's asthma attack peaked my curiosity. My mother has been a nurse since the early 1970s and has seen it all - she told me once of a patient with chronic hiccups... They absolutely would not go away... Persisted for years... At length, the man was in so much pain from the spasms, pain killers stopped working... And he eventually died from complications related to the years of hiccups. So, I don't feel it's impossible for fairly common afflictions that are typically (mercifully) only experienced in brief fits to take on monstrous proportions and persist for much longer periods of time in some cases. I did a bit of research on asthma and, as it turns out, some types of asthma are known to cause longer bouts than others - inflammation asthma, in extreme cases, can last for months. This type of asthma is caused by a irritant such as an allergen - if the sufferer is not isolated from the irritant, the attack can last for very long periods of time. I am not a doctor or a nurse and I can't know that this was the case but it at least is possible...

The 'signs' that the author speaks of, which indicated that the house was haunted certainly made an impression. Regardless of the true cause -paranormal or not- they seem to have been disturbing to the author likely causing stress. Stress works on the body in surprising ways and tends to make just about any malady worse... This could factor into the claims of ill health and prolonged asthma...

As for the spirit/spirits of the house and notions of the house wanting this or that - maybe it's just a turn of phrase not literal. Maybe it is meant that the spirit is 'of' the house like the Sherlock's 'hounds' are 'of the Baskervilles' - not literally the spirit of a brick and mortar thing. And it is not the brick and mortar structure that wants anything but the spirits 'of' the house - the writer mentions that the area had a storied past and a nearby burial ground, certainly, one might assume the potential for many spirits there.

In terms of the drama of 'the house wanting blood' - some psychics can be a bit dramatic... But maybe, once again, this shouldn't be read so literally. Blood is life... No one said that it needed to be spilled... Maybe the meaning was that the spirits of the house liked having the author there.

I don't know, maybe my skepticism is just busted today... Writing with a sleeping kitten in my lap tends to do that...
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-15)
I couldn't resist reading some of your previous stories, they are interesting and very well written, though I have to confess that, put together, I found them to be confusing and, at times, contradictory.

I hope you do not mind to answer to some of my questions:

"... I grew up in what I believed was a haunted house. Living there I did not know what it was like to be healthy. I was lucky to go through an entire week without falling mysteriously ill. Usually it was asthma attacks..."

And from "My Dogs, Me and My Haunted House":
"... Growing up I always had a dog. Our dogs were not allowed in our bedrooms. When I turned thirteen I was allowed to have my dog in my room..."

Did your parents ever take you to a doctor's? If so, what kind of advice did he offered regarding keeping pets if your asthma was so severe?
As far as I know having a pet is not a good idea when a member of the family suffers from asthma and allowing your dog in your bedroom during the night would have been equal to trying to hurt you big time.😕

Now, from "There was something on the tree that night":
"...my parents decided to spend the evening by the pool along with some of the their friends and took my brother along. I was thirteen and my mom thought I was old enough to stay on my own for a few hours..."

Great idea, fomenting your independence. But you do not mention the reaction of your dog during your ordeal hearing the noise on the neem tree. Where was he? Did your parents take him to the pool too?

You lived in the haunted house for 33 years, but do not mention if the rest of your family ever experienced anything paranormal. Were you the only one targeted by the 'ghosts'?

And from this story:
"...My lungs were on the verge of collapsing. I had a long asthma attack that lasted five months..."
I hope you went to the emergency room at least one during those five months of your record-breaking asthma attack! Or, at least to the "Guinness World Records"
Did your condition improve at the hospital?

I'm sorry, like I said before, put together your stories are a little...err...inconsistent?

I hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks for sharing.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-03-15)
Hi Again Charmsdes, look please don't think I'm picking on you but I have very logical (I believe, others may disagree) mind and when things don't add up for me, I'm compelled to try and clarify in case I have missed something. 😊

You wrote: "...Every night was spent lying awake and listening to "old house noises" like stairs creaking, doors being opened and closed, sounds of the cupboards creaking. Even the wind sounded like banshees wailing through the night. The feeling of being constantly watched, new bulbs bursting, pets refusing to enter certain areas of the house. The signs were all there..."

I think the signs that were there are of a person with an over-active imagination, and possibly suffering from anxiety and abit of good old fashioned paranoia, and who should look at using their vivid imagination / talents as a writer?

In my humble opinion, none of those things you described above can be 100% positively linked to paranormal / spirit activity.

Regarding your asthma, I know a bit about it but I have never heard of a 5 month long asthma attack?

I don't know which "psychic" you consulted, but honestly my advice is you should ask for your rupees back. The house wanted you dead? It wanted to finish what it started? It wants your blood? Sorry but that's getting in the realms of Hollywood here, have you seen "Monster House"? If the house wanted you dead, why didn't it just electrocute you, or crush you under a wall, or push you out a window, Drop a shelf on you... I could go on but that's just morbid...sorry.

I'm no expert but I've never heard of a house having an individual soul, let alone a vindictive consciousness. That flies in the face of everything that I understand of spiritual laws.

Are you able to pass on the research information you found about the area that would help to validate your experiences?

I'm on the fence on this one.

Regards

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: