You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost Not Looking For Conversation

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Not Looking For Conversation

 

This story I believe took place in 2003. I wasn't 21 years old yet, so it wasn't 2004. That's important information to this story. Because that's the reason I went to this house that contained a ghost instead of a bar!

I'll provide a little background to the situation here. I used to live in this house. I had already moved out at the time of this story. It was an old two story house with a basement. The second story was used as a separate apartment area, where two girls that I knew pretty well lived. My old roommate and friend still lived on the main level. Strangely, I never had any paranormal experiences there while I resided in the house. Maybe because there were always people over and it was always noisy. Anyway, there were stairs that went to the second story in the kitchen, and they had a door that could be closed and locked to help separate the levels, but it wasn't uncommon for either of the girls to come down on their own and say hi or hang out whenever.

Now to the experience. I don't consider this a scary or frightening experience. But it was very authentic. That's why I love it. There is no mistake or ambiguity about it. I think that's why it's not scary.

One late afternoon, one friend and I needed somewhere to drink our beers. Not 21 yet, so bars were out of the question. I called my friend that still lived at this house. He was working all evening at a restaurant. He gave me the ok to go into the house and hang out without him.

We park out front in the street. We walk in the front door. Immediately you are in the living room. At the opposite side is the doorway to the kitchen. Immediately to the left is the doorway to the master bedroom. That's where my friend went. Probably to use the bathroom that is attached to the master.

Anyway, as soon as he left I looked straight ahead into the kitchen. A tall brunette girl was standing there in the doorway. Thinking that it was one of the girls from upstairs coming down to see us I said "hey (name), what's up"? She didn't say a word. She turned and walked back into the kitchen and out of sight. I thought it was strange she would ignore me like that. So I walked through the living room into the kitchen. I got in there and flipped on the light. There was no one there. Hmmm, there are doors that go to the yard, one to go upstairs and one to the basement. All closed. They are old noisy doors as well. I opened the basement door. Pitch black, no way she's hanging out there by herself. I said her name again just to be sure she wasn't down there.

Now I am realizing this may not be who or what I thought it was. I walked back through the living room, to the master bedroom to look outside to verify we were alone. Neither of the girls cars were there. At this time my friend came out of the bathroom. So we sat on the couch and got into the beers. I sat an thought about it for a few minutes, then I told him about it. He said he heard me saying hi to someone. I don't remember if we stayed very long.

The thing I really like about it is that usually when you think you see something, it's something quick out of the corner of your eye, and you're not quite sure of what you saw. Or you blink, and it's gone leaving you to wonder if what you saw was real or imagination. What I saw was no doubt real. I had time to look at it, process that it was someone, talk to it and watch it turn and walk away like a real person. That's what has me thinking about this story all the time over the years. It's still vivid in my mind.

I kind of wish the ghost would have talked back too! I guess the ghost wasn't that interested in us. She must have just been checking out who was entering the house. I always wonder what they do when no one is around to observe them.

Anyway, not a scary story but I saw what I saw. I've told this to a couple people maybe, so it's nice to finally write it out and see if anyone else has had encounters that lasted more than a few seconds and maybe conversed with one. I'd like to hear!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EB (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-31)
I finally got around to finding this house I used to live in on google satellite. The house was built in 1890. I didn't realize it was quite that old. Anyway, now that I have an address I still have to dig for some history that may explain the ghost there.
EB (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-16)
Hi Dan! I do prefer my experiences to be the non frightening kind if I do have them! I do not know anything about the history of the house. The owner was actually the father of one of the girls, but I have not spoken with them since around the time period of this story. I moved away in 2004 to join the military, and I now live far away. I have meant to look up the address of the house and try to find any info. Thanks for reminding me!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-13)
Hi EB, I love to read about these types of experiences because I can relate to them myself, a simple and very believable account, not every paranormal experience needs to be dark and frightening. Was there any known history of the home at all? Thanks for sharing your experience it is a breath of fresh air to read accounts like this.

Dan
EB (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-20)
DandK, I did not look through the door to the stairs. Reason being, the door was at the very far end of the kitchen, I could have seen someone walk through the kitchen to that door from where I was it was a direct line of sight. Plus, in the few seconds it took me to walk into the kitchen, a person would have only just made it to the door, not through it and been able to close it silently. And since she would have had to walk around the dinner table that was in the middle if the kitchen, I would have caught up to her since I had no obstacles in my way. I pretty much immediately walked into the kitchen as soon as she turned and walked away. To answer your other question, I believe I did ask them if they were gone that time of day. I also told this to my friend that still lived there, and he admitted he has thought he heard a female voice a couple times when he knew the girls were gone. Thank you for your interest!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-20)
EB, did you look through the door that leads upstairs, where the girls lived to see if the girl went that way? Also, did you ask them when you saw them again if it was one of them? These things would help solidify the sighting in my mind if it had happened to me.

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing it!
EB (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
Hi SDS, thank you for reading! I did actually think about this after I sent in the story, and it probably needs a revision to clarify it. Good question. When I was in the house, it wasn't very bright inside. The lights were off. But there was some ambient light from the sunshine outside, just not direct light. So I can describe it like her face was a little shaded over. Kind of like when its dusk outside, you can see but details aren't clear right away. Her face wasn't just solid black or dark, I could tell there was a face. Hopefully that gives you a good picture.

I agree that movies condition us to expect paranormal experiences to be frightening. In fact, I have two other solid experiences that are not scary. One is a little spooky, but I would not call scary.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
Hi EB, welcome to YGS. Who said that all ghost sightings should be scary. It is all done in movies and dramas. Not in real life. It was a nice experience for you. Well, I have a question. You said that you lived there and that two girls were staying upstairs. And you saw that full-sized apparition and said Hi to it and it walked away into the kitchen. But, having lived there and having known the two girls, how did you mistake this apparition as one of the girls or did it look like one of the girls? It is a neat paranormal sighting.

Thanks for sharing and please do respond.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: