You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Conversation With An Old Man

Real Ghost Stories

Conversation With An Old Man

 

I have had a few encounters with the paranormal over the years but I shall start with the most and perhaps most unnerving one.

In a previous role I was UK Sales Manager for a worldwide office broker but after being made redundant following a merger I have been forced to take up two temporary roles while I plot my next career move. One of these roles is at a nice resteraunt in a town near to where I live in Surrey, England.

It was a Sunday and I was helping to close down the resteraunt. We close early on a Sunday at around 10pm but things had been winding down for some time. I had already gone upstairs to help two colleagues clear the outside terrace and it was drizzling with rain and quite slippery but all of the customers up there had already left some time before. I was then running some errands in the kitchen when the manager on duty said everyone had left the resteraunt so they could close the kitchen.

Some time later I was a cleaning some tables at the back of the restaurant near to where the door to the toilets are located. All of a sudden an old man wearing a jacket and a baseball hat walked past me even, though I hadn't heard the toilet door open. As he drifted past me he said 'I bet your glad you are not up there,' so I replied 'Yes it is quite slippery,' and he moved past me and the area I was in. As he walked past I thought that it was a bit strange as, as far as I knew the last customer had left the restaurant some time ago and there were no other parties present who may have been waiting for him, but by the time I thought to see if he was ok he had passed my view and I assumed my colleagues within earshot would be able to help. Anyway I wanted to leave as quickly as I could so I carried on and didn't think much more of it.

I had completely forgotten about it but the next day at my other job I just started thinking how strange it all was: I hadn't seen him in the restaurant and he certainly hadn't been upstairs while I was there, all the customers had left at least 30 minutes before this incident. I hadn't heard him coming and if he had gone to the loo he would have had to walk past me to get there, which he did not. I also did not hear another member of staff at the front of the restaurant interact with him.

Later on I asked the girl working and cleaning the front part of the restaurant (without any context) whether she remembered an old man leaving on his own at around 22:10. She said the doors had already been locked and no one left at that time

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DasherT91, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
 
12 months ago (2023-03-28)
Dasher, Sorry, that comment and link was meant to go to Ken on his story. I clicked the wrong one.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+2
12 months ago (2023-03-28)
Ken, I found this article interesting. Maybe you'll find it worth a read.
Https://www.higgypop.com/news/why-are-cold-spots-associated-with-ghosts/
KenS80 (1 stories) (40 posts)
+2
12 months ago (2023-03-28)
Sorry to hear you were made redundant from your UK Sales Manager position Dasher.

The old man sounds like he was paranormal of sorts. It would be interesting to know where he came from and where he went.

Chin up lad.
DasherT91 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+4
12 months ago (2023-03-27)
Hi guys thanks for the warm welcome!

[at] amon I didn't actually ask anyone directly about previous experiences. It was only my 2nd shift and wasn't sure how some would react but I will ask as time goes on.

[at] ladyglow yes it did appear off and a bit strange when it happened but it only really registered the next day

[at] Tweed that is a very good quote and something I totally agree with

[at] rajine yes it isa bit scary and a little disconcerting as I have had experiences in the past but never seen a full figure but the spirit himself was not scary at all

[at] raseco I am not sure it was anyone from my family as I got a good look at his face and did not recognise him
Raseco62 (4 posts)
+4
12 months ago (2023-03-25)
Indeed, he is an intangible human; we are metaphysical people who, at the time, we reside within a metaphysical dimensional habitat.

He is most likely a significant Elder from your lineage; for instance, a departed grandparent, or uncle.

Still, as in human consciousness, we accept them as "ghosts 👻 "; the sort of apparitions that are the eerie presence of paranormal skeptical circumstances.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
12 months ago (2023-03-25)
Hi Dasher

It's amazing and scary that you encountered a spirit in full corporeal form and one that spoke to you, I think he doesn't mean any harm and just wanted to spend some time at his favorite watering hole.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
12 months ago (2023-03-25)
Hi Dasher and welcome.

Had the same thoughts as Lady Glow. Also that you thought more about it the next day I'd guess is an indicator of the nature of this occurrence.

Your experience reminds me of something I heard a paranormal bookstore owner say once:
"No one can say for sure they've never seen a ghost. One could walk by you in the street and you'd never know."

Thanks for sharing.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
12 months ago (2023-03-25)
Welcome to YGS.

In my opinion, this gentleman was a person from the past that still enjoys visiting the restaurant.

It seems like you sensed from the beginning that something was off, but didn't register what it was. Makes me wonder how many times the departed ones mingle amongst us as any other living people.

Thanks for sharing.
amon (1 stories) (10 posts)
+5
12 months ago (2023-03-24)
Hi Dasher,
Out of curiosity, did you ever ask any coworkers if they had any paranormal experiences while working at this restaurant and did you ever ask about the history or do any of your own research about the building?
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+4
12 months ago (2023-03-24)
Hi. Welcome to YGS.

Being a believing skeptic, I do like to be a contrarian especially when it comes to pointing out that senses do not work like many people think. Just as an example, here's a video to watch with a very short quiz at the end.

Https://youtu.be/IGQmdoK_ZfY

So assuming you watched it instead of just continuing to read my post, did you notice the other 2 things happening in the video?

My real question, however, is: Is this man's photograph hanging on the walls of the restaurant anywhere?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: