You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Funny-looking Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Funny-looking Man

 

I've been time hopping with my experiences and sharing them with YGS readers as I recall them, starting with the experience that turned me from sceptic to believer "Friends In Strange Places" http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25587. The trigger that also awakened several memories of paranormal/weird/fanciful encounters. I can only share them to the best of my recollections and appreciate your insights/opinions regarding them.

I don't recall ever having a scary encounter though this one borders on scary even though I don't remember ever feeling scared during its occurrence, just highly irritated. After all, I love my sleep, and have since I was a baby (according to Mom).

I don't recall my exact age but I'd guess I was still a toddler as this happened while I was sleeping in a crib next to my parents' bed. Can't have been a baby as the side of the crib was down. I could have been older as the house we lived in was my paternal grandparents and there were only two bedrooms. One for Mama and Papa and the one my parents and I shared. I don't remember where my older brother slept but I know there was also a cousin, a few years older than my brother, who lived with us. Talk about a crowded house!

I woke to something prodding me through the mattress from beneath the crib. No eerie noises or other disturbances come to mind. I tried ignoring it, but the prodding persisted.

I was a fearless kid (no nightmarish experiences come to mind either) so I didn't hesitate looking under the crib for the source of my discomfort.

As children, we were allowed to watch only educational television programs. Our weekday routine consisted of school, home, lunch, homework, free to do as we like playtime / age appropriate movie (supervised in case we entertained sneaky thoughts of switching channels) / an educational TV program, bath, supper, a bedtime story (rabbits come to mind) and sleep. So I highly doubt I could have seen something that might have caused me to conjure this creature in my mind.

Back to the crib...

I leaned over and looked under the crib and saw a comical creature, short and skinny with pointed, wrinkly features (nothing scary about him) holding a stick in his hand, prodding the mattress and I ORDERED it to stop to which it simply laughed and started prodding even harder. I've apparently been quite vocal and assertive since I could speak, around seven or eight months old (Mom's words). I called for Mom to wake up and tell the funny-looking man under my bed (what I called the crib) to go away.

Mom woke up, checked under the crib (probably to humour me) and told me there was nothing there and to go back to sleep, which I couldn't because Mr. Pokey wouldn't stop immediately. I don't know whether he eventually tired and stopped or whether tiredness overtook me and I managed to fall asleep again. To this day I have NO idea who or what this 'man' was and he only 'visited' that one time.

I know I wasn't dreaming because the next morning Mom said I should stop eating so many sweets or the funny-looking man will come again and take all my teeth. The upside to that experience is probably my, now, total lack of a sweet tooth. Coffee with lots of milk and no sugar thank you.

Has anyone else or their children had such a peculiar experience and what could it have meant? Or did I just have an over-active imagination and it was something like a visit from the mythological Norse god of mischief, Loki? LOL

I was not amused at the time and for several nights after this experience I'd check under the crib for the funny-looking man.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Serenflipppity, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Hi Serenflipppity,

The first thing that came to mind when you described the being was a gnome.
I don't know much about elemental beings (I believe Tweed would be our expert, if you don't mind calling you), but I'd really like to see one someday.

Well, no harm caused so this was a funny experience, the kind I'd like to have one day. 😊

Thank you for sharing!

God bless. ❤
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
No problem at all, glad I could help! I hope things smooth out for you soon.
Serenflipppity (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
Hi there Dee

Thanks for chiming in LOL I'll read up on nature spirits and let you know my feelings - whethere I can relate them to my experience.

Thanks also for the link to Tweed's gnome account.

It's fascinating reading about the different experiences of the YGS members and presents a steep, yet captivating, learning curve on the world beyond.

Thanks so much for reading and your feedback.

All the best
Maxine

Ps please excuse my tardiness. Life is hectic on this side of the pond.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
Your account made me think of Tweed. She is the go to person (in my opinion) regarding elementals, nature spirits, etc. Here's a link to one of her stories about a gnome:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22478

I can't help but think you encountered some kind of nature spirit that night. I'm just starting to learn about this, so hopefully someone can chime in with more information. It's a fascinating topic though.
😊

- Dee
Serenflipppity (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
Hi Jubeele

My first thought was also the mischievous tokoloshe or perhaps Mama sent something to disturb me as I did her when I'd go barreling down the road on my bandy legs LOL. She eventually ordered my mom to place me in the kindergarten as she couldn't keep up with me. That's the only thing I can think of and I'm reaching since I'm flummoxed by the experience.

Oh, I'm not much of a dreamer and sleep like the dead. Curiouser and curiouser.

Zombie dust bunnies LOL I must remember to check for them amongst my hiking gear ^.^

Thanks for reading and your comments
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-21)
Hi Maxine, what a curious experience. I've heard others from SA talk of the tokoloshe, a dwarf-like creature or gremlin who causes mischief and likes to scare children. But as your gut instinct was that you were annoyed rather than frightened, maybe it was just being mischievous. It's just as well that was your only visit.

Another possibility is that perhaps you were having a lucid dream at the time? But still, it sure was very vivid... 😨

We've got our winter gear stored under the bed. Nothing but zombie dust bunnies lurking there <phew>! 😜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: