You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Dreams of my Granny

Real Ghost Stories

Dreams of my Granny

 

Not sure how to start this story as I'm sure it'll be quite long but here goes. It is mainly about my great-grandmother so I guess I'll give you some background information about her. Basically my Great-Granny Sadie died a while back when I was about 15 (so approx 6 years ago). She was a lovely woman. She loved playing with dolls even as an old lady. If she visited us she would ask me to bring out my barbies. She just loved changing their clothes and brushing their hair. I wasn't especially close to her but we had that shared love of dolls. She used to always say that she loved all her Great-Grandchildren but she particularly liked me because I was a very smiley, happy child.

About a year after she died, it dawned on me that I'd never visited her grave (She had requested before she died that only the men in the family go to her graveside for her burial, as she didn't want the woman crying over her grave). Me and my sister decided after school one day that we'd get some flowers and go to her grave. We spent ages wondering around the graveyard just looking at headstones etc. It was quite sad yet I found it interesting reading the headstones. Eventually when we found her grave, we laid down our flowers and stood there for a little while.

That night I had a dream that my Granny Sadie was standing in my room, she was surrounded by bright light and she was thanking me for bringing her the flowers. I woke up fully remembering this vivid dream. I thought it was nice but largely down to the fact that I had visited her grave that day, so had probably been thinking about her a little. Just to clarify for readers -this memory was just like that of a dream, I did not feel that I was awake at all or had physically seen her in my room. So overall I thought it was nice to think that she was watching out for me, but that it was likely just a dream because she had been on my mind.

That, I'm sure is a fairly average experience, but there is more to this story that made me think Granny Sadie genuinely is keeping an eye out for me. A good year later just before Christmas, my family were going through a rough patch. My dad has suffered with severe manic depression throughout my entire live, which has affected my life greatly. Regularly my parents would fall out due to my dad's violent mood swings and although I love him, I am still now a little scared of his temper. It was a few days before Christmas and things got pretty bad to the point were my mum, brother, sister and I all grabbed a few things and left the house. I won't bore you with all the details but basically this was the worst point of my life to date. And I am still plagued by a strong guilt for 'abandoning my dad'. My dad was eventually found in our house having over-dosed on painkillers and anti-depressants and was taken into hospital to have his stomach pumped and put in a psychiatric ward. At this point, with dad in hospital, we returned home. It was Christmas eve and our house had pills everywhere. In every room, just scattered around. The Christmas tree was in the bin and all the presents had been ripped open. We were all very shaken by the events of the previous few days but after clearing up, we were all so emotionally tired that we went to bed.

I woke up late that night because the phone was ringing. I instinctively just thought 'that's my dad' and I thought 'okay I have to answer it', I didn't want my Mum, brother or sister to be any more stressed than they already were. When I answered the phone it was my dad, he was crying and telling me how he'd tried to kill himself because we had left him. I talked to him for a while -calmed him down and told him that we still loved him but it would take time and he needed help. Calmed down, he hung-up and I went back to bed as I was so exhausted due to the stress of everything. That night I had another dream of my Granny Sadie. All I could see was her face and she was surrounded by bright light directly above me, all she said was 'tell your mum everything will be okay'.

I didn't remember the next day until dinner time, it was Christmas day and we were at my aunts having dinner and when I remembered I told my mother straight away and she burst into tears. I asked her if she believed me, and she said she did (my granny had dreams like that from time to time). This time I didn't think it was a coincidence. As much as I cared for my Granny, I didn't think of her *that* often, especially not at such an emotional time when I had other things on my mind. I genuinely now believe she is watching over me as she felt she had a connection with me when I was younger and it's very comforting to feel that. As for my parents, well they still have their ups and downs but everything IS okay.

Sorry if I waffled on too much, I know this isn't strictly a 'ghost story'. I feel very emotional thinking about this time and the visit from my Granny doesn't seem like such a big deal without hearing what my family was going through at the time. Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hello! Okay will have a wee read through your stories... My boyfriend's home before me today so I won't be spooked as long as I have company! I'm such a coward! Working in a call centre so just sitting on the phone all day is the perfect oportunity for reading! Thanks!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
PGM, I'm used to all of these things by now. You start to get used to them after so many years. Now, I don't think I would be so brave if I saw that horrible black mass or that thing that crawled in my bed. You may want to read my stories. Just click on my name and you will see the two stories I posted and you click on them to read them. The stories are not just one story, I kind of crammed more than one story into it! I do have many other things that have happened to me and still do but I guess I don't feel they are too big of a deal to submit the stories. Don't get in trouble at work now! 😊~Shelby ❤
Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Oooh I find that pretty creepy! I'd hate to hear someone trying to talk, or be told by a child they could hear that! I'd much prefer to see someone in a dream... I'm not sure how'd I'd react but I'm sure I'd be terrified! You must be a lot braver than me... I'm currently at work and know reading this site today is such a bad idea... My boyfriend won't be home until 9pm and I'll be alone in the flat and spooked by the slightest noise! XXx
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Hi PGM! No, my daughter doesn't think his visits are scary. She usually sees him in her dreams. But like I've said in other posts, spirits sometimes choose to visit the person in their dreams because it's easier for the spirit to crossover and communicate with that person. Seeing them in real life, instead of in your dreams, can be much scarier. My son was getting ready to turn four years old at the time he said he saw Papa in his bedroom one night. So being barely four years old and seeing that, I can only imagine is scary! He doesn't understand about the other worlds. He talks about ghosts now but some of them I think he makes up because at the time he tells the story we had just finished telling a story about an encounter with one. A couple of days ago my son and I were in the kitchen, it was quiet, everyone else in the bed and sleeping and he said, "Mommy, who keeps talking?" I said, "I don't hear anything!" I asked him what does he keep hearing and he says to me, "It sounds like they are trying to speak but can't..." I said, "Well, what does it sound like they are trying to say?" He says to me, "They are trying to speak but all they say is HA...HA... But it doesn't come out!" He said it sounded like they were trying to say Hayley. That's my daughter's name, she just turned three. She was sleeping at the time this happened. Two nights in a row he said the same thing, "Mommy, who keeps trying to talk?" Even though I visit this sight often, I have not discussed anything pertaining to any ghosts or paranormal activity. I try not to talk about things in front of him in the past few months, so when he tells me something that's out of the blue, I know it's truely happening or has happened. You can tell though by his seriousness whether he is telling the truth or not. When he tells a 'story' he talks about fighting them and kicking them in the butt! =) They are funny stories and he laughs about it jokingly! I don't know what to think of what he heard those two nights. ~Shelby ❤
Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Thanks everybody for the comments and well-wishes. Mustang -thats really interesting about your father, does your daughter find his visits scary? Glad she liked the name 😊 Bellisima -I thought it was my Granda smiling on me but of course no skeptic would really believe it!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-18)
Hi Pretty Girl! What a sweet story. You mention that you didn't feel extremely close to your Granny but from what you said, you were her favorite and she felt close to you. Maybe she felt you were the most 'grounded' in the family at that time or, maybe she just loved you very much. In your reply to the comments you mention your Granda, I think he was smiling on you! Thanks for sharing your story, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully you will have more? 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Thank you so much for sharing this story, and it was a very important story to share, This story showed family support at an extremely difficult time, for your entire family. How beautiful that Grandma Sadie felt she could be of some assistance when things were all askew.

I am so glad to hear that your family is doing better.

God Bless!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Hi PGM, I definitely believe that these dreams of your Grandmother were not JUST typical dreams! My daughter has seen her Papa (my Dad) in her dreams a few times. I have read in Hans Holzer books that spirits sometimes choose to come to people in their dreams because that is the easiest time to be able to communicate with you. It is just as important as if they were to come to you while you were awake. My daughter has also seen her Papa while she was dancing around in the living room. I had stopped by my Mom's house on the way home from the doctor and I had called my daughter to make sure she got home ok from school and to tell her I would be home soon. That's when she told me what she had seen. I think he was watching over her until I got home. When she was doing a turn she caught a glance of him in the hallway leaning up against the wall smiling at her. She said he looked just like he did before he got sick with cancer. I have been waiting for my Dad to come to me in my dreams or other but he has not as of yet. I was with him when he died so I guess he doesn't feel the need to come to me as we had already said our goodbyes. I'm not sure why he has shown himself to my daughter in her dreams and when she has been awake. My 4 year old son has seen him in his room at night before, that's why he sleeps with my husband and I. He said Papa scared him. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. I do believe that your Grandmother has been, or was watching over you and your family especially in your family's time of need! They are always there, they just don't bother us unless they have something to say. I had a lot of paranormal things happen to me when my life wasn't going so great. I still have things happen here and there but not like it used to be since, I believe, my life is on track. By the way, I mentioned your name to my "14" year old daughter and she said she liked it. I like it but it's a little creepy! 😊 Thanks for sharing your story, it was very sweet.~Shelby ❤
Rosemary (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
It was a great story and I know its all true.
This is how our relatives get through to us and your granny was no doubt watching the situation and worried and wanted to tell you with time things will be fine and I think they will be.
Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
I guess you can't pick and choose can you! But I guess I did get my 'goodbye' with my Grandabefore he died so maybe there's no reason for a visit 😉
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
I, too, have been waiting for my someone to visit. My Father-in-Law passed and I would honestly like to talk to him one more time. I'm trying to remember that he is with my Mother-in-Law, who passed years before him and they haven't seen each other (in our time line) for years, so there is probably a bit of catching up to do... But...
Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Thanks Whitebuffalo! I've felt quite proud that she trusted me to pass on the message and it was comforting being told it would be okay... I didn't feel particularly close to her because I guess I was quite young at the time and only saw her every few fews or so.
My Grandfather died of cancer last year and I felt a closer bond to him so I always hoped I would dream of him but I never have. The closest I have felt to him was... Before my 21st birthday my boyfriend and I went to visit where his ashes were scattered, in the sand-dunes at the beach near where my parents live... I hadn't been to this spot since before he died... And when we got there we sat down and had a beer and poured one out for Granda (he liked a drink!) and all of a sudden the sun started shining really brightly directly onto where we were sitting... Obviously it could have been co-incidental but it was nice at the time and I felt like he was with us 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
PGM: I agree, interesting name!
What I thought was fascinating is that you felt that you were not particularly close with your Granny Sadie. This goes to prove that we may not know how we affect a person just by... Well, BEING. I think it is wonderful that she trusted you enough to give you the right message to give to your Mother in a time when she truly needed it. I can only imagine the emotional turmoil she had to endure. What you all had to go through. Thank you for sharing this with me.
Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Thanks Martin! It definitely was an emotional time! As for the name... I'm a bit of a zombie movie fan! 😉
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
No worries Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue (what a funny name), I definitely include visits from departed family members in our dreams in the "ghost experience" topic, as long as it has that little thing that makes it above your normal family dreams, like a particular stressful times when they come to comfort you (and of course bright, shiny lights with an angelic chorus and St Peter standing in the back is required 😉).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: