You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Story As A Skeptic

Real Ghost Stories

My Story As A Skeptic

 

So first of all I want to say that I am still a skeptic. I am not someone that believes in ghosts or the paranormal without evidence. However, I need to say that there is something in my past that left me wondering if what we experienced was indeed something paranormal. I don't know, that is the truth. I am not ready to confirm that ghosts, demons or spirits exist because of my experience, but it is pretty freaky.

So we were living in Xochimilco, Mexico at the time. It was an apartment that we decided to rent in an old very nice house that could almost be described as a small mansion. It was a very affordable apartment and pretty spacious for us. We are a couple and we had just gotten two cats, and it still felt huge. Everything was going fine for a couple of months and nothing got our attention. We were just having a good time and enjoying our life.

One day we started noticing that our cats would look up and just fixate on the same area of the room. They followed something with their eyes and their heads would move in the same direction. We saw that a few times but we assumed that it was either a small bug that we could not see or dust moving around the apartment (which we tried to keep clean).

So the cats did that a few times and they would do it at the same time every time which was weird as hell, but again, I am not saying that it was anything other than dust or a bug. We thought it was funny because they would look as if they were really into seeing whatever it was.

One day however it started getting weird because the cats did the same thing and all of the sudden both of them, at the same time, darted into our bedroom. One went under the bed and the other one buried herself in the blankets.

We went to check on them but Agatha, which was under the blankets, did not want to come out. I tried to pull her out but she was using her claws to dig into the mattress. We called Gary and he is the biggest love-seeking cat ever, so if we call him he usually runs so that we can hold him or give him pets, but not this time. Both our cats were really spooked by something. My logical explanation was that they probably were fixed on whatever they were looking at and then some noise in the distance that we did not hear spooked them, but then it happened a few more times.

We were confused, but again we are both atheists and not really people who believe in the supernatural. We started joking about the fact that we might have a ghost, but it was always something that we would laugh about. So we stayed there not giving it much thought. We just thought that our cats are weird, you know.

I am the one that cooks in our family, and my wife is really not the best at it so our deal is that I cook and she washes the dishes. One night after I made dinner and she had washed the dishes I had a glass of water. After I was done I put it on the sink as I talked to her. She then pointed at the glass which was dragging on the sink from one side to the other. My explanation is that maybe the sink was on a small angle which was too small to see and that since the sink was wet it probably just slid a bit. Still no issue.

Later that same day I felt something on my leg. It was as if something had squeezed me, or something. I had Sarah look at my leg and there was a red spot where I had felt the pain. The next day we looked at it again and it had bruised and it was in the shape of a bite. I really have no explanation for that, though I am sure there could be. I don't remember bumping into anything and I definitely did not bump into anything when I felt the pain, so I have no clue where that bruise could have come from.

Keep in mind that the cat scares were happening like once a week or maybe once every two weeks, but the glass thing and the bruise thing happened on the same day. The next day something else happened that really scared us.

It was after dinner and we were just on the couch watching TV when suddenly we realized that the oven was on. Apparently it had been on for a while but we had not noticed it for some reason. When I saw that the oven was on I immediately turned it off and opened the windows and doors to the apartment. The smell of gas was strong, but because we were inside I think we did not get how strong it was until we went outside of the apartment. I would have said that maybe we left it on after dinner, but we had not used it for it. Maybe accidentally we turned it on while turning something else off, but that makes no sense.

We were outside the apartment, letting it air out when our neighbor was coming back home. Felt really stupid asking her if she had heard anything about ghosts in our apartment from the previous tenant and she said no. Then she went into her apartment and came back with what she said was holy water (Mexico is very Catholic so I was not surprised that she had some). She went into the apartment, sprinkled it a little and then left.

Funny thing is that after that, nothing happened again. The cats were no longer looking for things that we could not see and nothing else weird happened to us. I am still not saying that the apartment was haunted, but when the lease was up we decided to move.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, willfer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-06)
Willifer

There has been a safety feature on gas ovens and furnaces. If they are not on gas can not come out it is shut off. However you can turn the the top burners and light with a match unless they have changed this as I haven't had gas in a long time. We moved into a house that is all electric except for oil heat.

Since you have moved you shouldn't worry about it.

Regards
Red
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-05)
Willfer I have a rat terrier, when he was about a year or two;he would follow something along the wall that my bed was against. It really freaked me out because I was home by myself. One night we was laying in the bed and he started growling at the door, I was looking at him when all of the sudden he jumped back as if something came towards us. That really freaked me out, I truly believe animals can see and/or hear things that us humans can't. So with that being said dogs and cats are good for picking up on the supernatural.
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-02)
Hi Willfer;

I have seen my cats do the same thing. I think animals are much more sensitive than we are. My dog barks & plays with someone/thing in my living room, too.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-01)
They say animals are far more sensitive than humans and I believe it... Lol When I get spooked, I always check the cat... I figure if she's calm, everything is ok. Heaven help me the day something spooks me and she's freaking out too!

I may be able to offer a possible explanation for the glass moving, though. I never took physics so I am certain my terminology is way off and I'm sure there is a proper scientific term for the phenomenon but when there is just the right amount water (it doesn't have to be much even a fraction of a teaspoon) between the bottom of the glass and the surface on which it has been set (particularly, in my experience, if both are very smooth) the glass can seemingly move of its own accord - I think it's called hydroplaning - and it takes incredibly little to make it move (a SLIGHT breeze, a vibration from a footstep or passing car, a mild slope to the surface, etc). It's happened to me quite a few times and never fails to give me the willies until I calm myself down and think about it for a second.

I do have a question about the oven - was the oven actually on or were the pilot lights out? The apartment I rent is 'cursed' with a very cheap gas stove/oven - when either are on, there is little to no smell of gas because it's burning and even when they are properly off, there is very little smell - however, every so often, the pilot lights will go off for reasons unknown to me and THAT'S when the gas starts to dangerously build up because there is no flame to burn it off. It's one of the many reasons I much prefer electric stoves (I know, I just made every chef out there reading this wince). Now, why that pilot goes off now and then.? -Even as a believer living in a nearly 100 year old building with a mass grave in the back yard, I honestly couldn't say, but I truly don't get the feeling in my situation that it's paranormal so much as a godawful piece of equipment.

As for the bruise - I have no clue! I am a very pale redhead and I am forever and always coming up with mystery bruises, it's my normal but if one ever turned up looking like a bite mark, it'd certainly get my attention!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
ashar - thank you 😊 Sometimes commenting in our site is very similar to talking to kids - in one ear and out the other LOL Again, thank you. Knowing someone has listened, even when a comment is not directed to them, really makes a difference sometimes ❤
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
I remember miracles comment from one of the story yesterday that sometimes the things are exactly same as they seem. You submitted your experience on such a site that is entirely dedicated to real paranormal experiences which means even you cannot deny that some incidents do not have scientific or logical explanations. Everyone is free to believe what they want but with immense politeness I say that paranormal world exists.

Thanks For Sharing 😊
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
Hi there Willfer,

You've had happen to you my worst 'ghost fear' of all time; a ghost turning the stove/oven on. I mean I know it's crazy to entertain such a thought, and I don't scare easy by ghosts. But the thought of that is simply chilling. Hate thinking about it!
I really hope that was a case of absent mindedness and NOT some nasty presence.

Thanks for sharing, it's always great hearing from skeptics. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: