You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: From Skeptic To A Firm Believer

Real Ghost Stories

From Skeptic To A Firm Believer

 

Let me begin by saying that for the first 20 out of my 22 years of being alive, I was a total skeptic and disbeliever in the paranormal. I never experienced anything and had no reason to believe in ghosts, spirits, or anything paranormal. I dismissed every story that anyone had ever told me and I always said that I'd have to experience something for myself in order to believe in anything.

Well last year I moved out into an apartment in Akron, Ohio with a buddy of mine. Before I get into everything, let me give you a description of the apartment itself. It was a 2 floor apartment. As soon as you walk in the door, the living room was to your left and there was an open area that could be used as a dining room but we left empty. To the left of that was our kitchen. And to the right was the staircase that led up to my roommates' bedroom, and there was a walkway by the staircase that led to my bedroom. His room was right on top of mine.

Anyways, now that you have somewhat of a visual of my apartment, let me begin by telling you the back story. My roommate and I worked together at a factory on the same shift and would always talk at work, and one day out of the blue, Shaun (my roommate), tells me "I think Bob followed me again."

I shot him a puzzled look and asked him who Bob was, and he proceeds to tell me that it was the spirit that has followed him everywhere he has lived his entire life.

I laughed at him and figured he was just trying to scare me. I mean seriously, a spirit named Bob? (I guess that was what he had named the spirit as a kid.)

So I'm standing there giving him a hard time about it and poking fun at him about it and he says, "Bob doesn't like it when people disrespect him and don't believe."

I dismissed it and said, "Yeah, yeah, whatever. If Bob is real then he can come meet me anytime."

I continued giving him a hard time and nothing happened for a few days and I kept up the making fun of him. I now regret doing so because things went from things happening that could be explained, to things that to this day give me chills and cannot explain.

It all started around July of 2011, with small things happening like things being moved from their normal spots, to lights being on when we got home from work that weren't on when we left. (We worked 2nd shift at the time.)

These things puzzled me but never scared or startled me. I actually, after a while, forgot about the whole Bob thing, until one day we were at the bar down the road from our apartment and Shaun's last roommate was there and somehow we got on the topic of Bob. His old roommate started telling me stories that happened to him when he lived with Shaun. I again dismissed things. Nothing happened that night.

A couple nights later, my girlfriend and I were in the apartment alone watching Paranormal Activity (ironically enough), and at the end of the movie we heard footsteps upstairs in Shaun's bedroom. She shoots me a half scared half grinning "are you kidding me?" kind of look.

I had never told her about Bob because I didn't believe in it at the time and I told her it was probably just the neighbors. The noises stopped, and we joked and laughed it off and went to go to bed. So that same night, we're laying there in the dark about to go to sleep, still alone in the apartment. We lay there in silence, trying to wind down when all of a sudden a loud BANG hit my door. Like REALLY loud. It sounded like someone threw a hard punch into my door.

My girlfriend looked at me and asked, "What was that?!" Totally freaked out. Now I'm not going to lie, this startled me pretty bad as well. I told her it was just the movie getting in our heads, but just to try to rationalize things, I opened the bedroom door. Nobody was home, the lights were off, nothing was around my bedroom door. I couldn't explain this, but I told her just to ignore it and go to sleep. I'm not going to lie, I did not sleep well that night. I had a weird feeling that someone or something was watching me. Nothing else happened that night.

I told Shaun that next day what had happened and he laughed at me and said, "Bob don't like you man, I told you not to call him out."

I told him I thought he was just trying to scare me and what not, and he shook his head and said, "Nope, and I told you not to call him out. He doesn't like that."

So I just walked away, irritated. I actually went home that night and apologized to Bob. I was starting to believe. Surprisingly nothing happened for a while after that.

The next time something happened was that December. I had forgotten about the whole thing. One night, I was in the apartment alone, smoking a cigarette in the living room. Shaun was at the bar, and my girlfriend was back home on break from college. So I finish my cigarette and went to go to my bedroom to grab a movie and as I reached the underpass walkway under his bedroom, I heard this loud BANG up in his bedroom. It sounded like a dresser had been slammed against the wall, that's how loud it was. I froze dead in my tracks. I heard footsteps upstairs. Then everything went quiet. I called Shaun and told him what happened and I told him I wasn't going up there. At first he was like, "Okay, I'll check it out when I get home." But as soon as he said that he told me to at least go check and make sure his pet lizard was okay.

So I reluctantly agreed, and I hung up the phone. I walk up the stairs and what I saw shocked me, and NOTHING can explain what happened. So I go up there, and the first thing I notice was a picture that he had hung up had somehow flown off the wall where it was hanging, and landed at least ten feet to the right, the glass on it shattered all around it. I then went to the opposite corner of his room where his lizard tank was, and this shocked me even more. Somehow the heat lamp that laid flat on top of it had somehow flew off the top of the cage, through a small opening between the legs and a cross bar of his dresser, which was a couple feet to the right of the tank. It lay on the ground, and its bulb was shattered. That was all that I could see that got messed up that night. Now remember, this was in the middle of winter, IN OHIO. We didn't have windows open, there was no air drafts. I cannot think of an explanation for this.

I called Shaun back and told him what got broken up there and he got mad and yelled at me for angering Bob. I defended myself and said that I apologized and everything went back to normal for a while and he said that it doesn't matter because Bob doesn't like me.

I got off the phone and left the apartment freaked out. I called my girlfriend and finally filled her in about Bob. She was freaked out, but nothing happened after this aside from little things. But one day in March, I was at work sweating when I felt my back burning. I didn't think much of it until after work when I got out of the shower and my girlfriend asked, "What did you do to your back?" I told her nothing and asked why, and then she took a picture of my back with her phone and showed me and I had a pair of three scratches going down each side of my mid/lower back. This scared me, because we didn't have pets that could have done that, and we didn't do anything the night before. We were both pretty scared, but I played it off like it didn't.

Nothing happened again for about a month. We were all sitting around in the living room with friends talking about Bob because he'd been pulling his little pranks the past few nights. Well, Shaun and everyone else went out to the bar that night, and me and my girl stayed in to relax. We were getting ready to go to sleep, when an alarm started going off upstairs in Shaun's room. I run upstairs, cursing at Bob and telling him to cut it out. I thought it was the smoke alarm, but it wasn't. It was this music player he hooked his phone up to. I unplugged it and the alarm stopped. I called Shaun and told him so he wouldn't think I was messing with his stuff and he tells me, "Dude, that thing doesn't have an alarm on it."

Chills went up my spine, but that was the very last occurrence I had. We moved out a month later and me and my girlfriend got our own place, and we haven't had any experiences since.

Needless to say, having unexplainable, paranormal occurrences like this happen to me changed my life and made me a believer.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NoRegret, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hemp (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-22)
This story reminds me of the mischevious spirit that has followed my almost-stepbrother for much of his life too! He called it 'Crazy' (I really don't know why, probably because of how playful and irrational it was). Objects would disappear, noises heard, etc...
kariorit (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
I think your friend needs to seriously think about "losing" bob.

Destructive and physically aggressive is nothing he needs hanging around him.
NoRegret (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-19)
Yeah, I'll tell you what; if I would have known he was telling the truth, I would never have called Bob out! Lol I thought he was just trying to scare me, but no it was all true. I can't explain the things that happened, but I know how scary it was. Not sure if it was a poltergeist or what.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-19)
An excellent account. I've been told that it's a good idea to be polite to spirits when you know they are about. But, starting off as a skeptic (as I did), how were you to know! 😉
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-19)
Cool story! Cool Narration! Really enjoyed the read!...
Now that you have moved out... Should go back and say what's up to Bob hehehe!
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-19)
Dude! You really PO'd that ghost. Yeah, never provoke them. I'm happy you found peace in your new home. Learned a lesson now didn't you? 😉
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
I must say as someone who likes to see both sides (skeptic and believer) it is so great that you've attempted to debunk things even the odd things like alarms.
You may not have exact answers but you did try and pass things off as the movie running your imaginations wild etc.

The fact you've tried to rationalize this has backed up mine as well as many others that this is a believable experience as we can only go on facts and evidence as well as how true the story sounds and is backed up (looking for answers).

The fact you didn't believe is not a problem what so ever as that's how a lot of people start off.
Many don't think a Ouji board actually works until they've (unfortunately) tried and used one...

So please do not ever feel bad about what you do or don't believe.

Also I think it was a bit unfair of your friend to have a go at you it's not like you had any idea that something would actually happen but at least you do now and can warn people 😊

It's so good to hear you are out of there though and I hope Bob settles down or gets his anger sorted... It seems a bit dangerous for your friend to keep him around if he's going to hurt the living 😐
But best of luck! 😊
rosemay (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
Never call them out lol! Nothing good ever comes from calling them out!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: