You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Skeptic And The Playful Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Skeptic And The Playful Ghost

 

As I have mentioned in my previous stories we have had many paranormal experiences in our current house but they have mostly been positive/neutral. One of my favourite encounters happened to a friend of ours in our house.

We are VERY close with J. He lives a few streets away from us and is at our place pretty much every day. J knows that I believe in ghosts and that my husband SORT OF believes but J is a total skeptic. He has never seen, felt or heard any kind of entity and has never had any kind of paranormal experience at all (that he is consciously aware of) . We often discuss the paranormal when he is over but we always end up agreeing to disagree. Our discussions can get quite heated but have never turned into a fight or argument.

We had gone away for a few days and had asked J to stop by once a day to feed and play with the dogs and cats. We also invited him to stay at our place if it was easier for him.

One night, J was over at our house relaxing after feeding the animals. He decided to do a bit of a tidy up since he had basically been living at our place for a few days and figured he would help us out. He worked his way around the house and was busy in the kids' room when suddenly the night light switched on by itself (the night light is an LED light that projects thousands of red and green dots all over the room. The dots move in patterns and 'star bursts'). J said afterwards that he thought it was odd but then figured that it was motion activated or on a timer or something (it isn't). He went to turn it off (the off button is an actual button and not an on/off switch - press once to turn it on and once to turn it off). As he turned his back on the light after turning it off, it came back on again. He said that he was getting a little annoyed at that point so decided to just unplug it from the wall and be done with it. Just as he turned his back on the light after unplugging it, the light came back on! He checked the plug and it was definitely still unplugged so there was no reason that the light should be on (it definitely doesn't have any kind of backup battery or anything like that).

J eventually decided to leave it and just close the bedroom door behind him. The light must have turned itself off at some point because we found it off and unplugged when we got home. He only told us about this experience when we got back a day or so later. I had a quiet giggle about it because it was almost definitely one of our ghosts playing with the skeptic. It had probably grown tired of his talk of disbelief and was saying, "You want proof, buddy?". Hahaha.

J still doesn't believe in ghosts and insists that there must be a logical explanation for the light. I agree with him on that point. The logical explanation is: ghosts!

Other hauntings by Bee_Beans

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bee_Beans, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-09)
Hi RedWolf

Wow! You have quite a family. Has your older sister always felt this way about the paranormal? I'm sorry to hear that you and your younger sister don't talk too often. I only have a step-sister and, unfortunately, we don't talk too often either: (. Is your other sister open to correction on these matters? I don't mean to be rude but I think her explanations would be quite entertaining!

Thanks,
Bee
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-09)
Bee_Beans

I have an older sister that has told me she refuses to believe in the paranormal, ghosts and all. She is very involved with the church. I have 2 younger sisters. One whom I don't know her beliefs because she and I don't speak often. The other however "thinks" she knows ALL about it and has had some long winded explanations that are quite simple and is quite often wrong. 🤣

Red
Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-05)
Hi CuriousDee

I am glad that you enjoyed it.

We have a few ghosts around (I am almost convinced that each room has its own resident). Luckily for us they all seem welcoming and positive. Maybe that's because we respect them and are happy to coexist as long as it is peaceful.

As Jubeele says, J would deny the paranormal to the end. He would find any and all other reasons for a full-blown apparition. I would LOVE to see him explain one away, though. That would be entertaining.
Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-05)
Jubeele

Hi there. I am well thanks. How are you doing?

I'm glad that you had fun reading my post. I was hoping that a few people would get a good chuckle. I share your opinion! I am pretty sure J would find ANY reason besides the paranormal.

What a friendly ghost you found. So sweet! I guess some people just can't be helped. Sigh. He and J would make an excellent debunking team, don't you think?
Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-05)
lady-glow

I am glad that you enjoyed it. I thought a light-hearted post would make a nice change for once:).

I have decided not to push J into believing. I figure that he will eventually change his mind just by hanging around my place for a while. Haha.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Now that's funny! At least your ghost sounds playful 😊 Maybe if J saw a full blown apparition, he would become a believer. Thanks for sharing!
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Hi Bee_Beans, how are you? This account was a fun read and made me chuckle. It seems like your resident ghost was having some fun with J and wanted to get his attention: "Hey, look at me!" I'm sure if J encountered a full-blown manifestation in glowing glory and dancing a jig in front of him, he'd still insist it's an optical illusion. 😁

Once we stayed at an inn, where I encountered a friendly ghost who lit the way for me in a darkened room. Rex-T slept through the whole thing, so he's still pretty much a skeptic even after all this time. Maybe he can keep J company the next time he house sits for you! 😜
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-03)
I really enjoyed reading your experience. It's funny that J is still in denial and looking for a logical explanation for what happened that day at your place... Perhaps he needs to house-sit for you again.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: