You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My Father's Story - Confusing A Skeptic

Real Ghost Stories

My Father's Story - Confusing A Skeptic

 

This story is not my own. It is my father's, who I believe to be credible.

I am an atheist/skeptic (hold the preaching, it's not what this site is for) and I've spent a while debunking nearly every ghost story I've heard or read simply with very obvious real world examples. For example, if you wake up paralyzed and see things during this, it's not a ghost. It's a recognized sleep disorder called sleep paralysis where you are awake, but your brain is still in REM sleep. Another example: shadow people were debunked years ago using high electric fields. If you see these, don't scream ghost. Test the field. It will be high enough to induce hallucinations and feelings of dread 80% of the time. But I could not debunk my father's story. And the more I try too, the more interested and confused I get. Here is the story - I have not changed or embellished in anyway. This is the exact story my father told me:

This happened 30 years ago when my father was in his twenties. He was dating a woman named Becky, who was very interested in the paranormal. One night, they got a Ouija board (yes, I know there are hundreds of these stories, but bear with me here please. It's what happens after that I need help explaining) and went to the second story of Becky's house. She was very excited about it and my father did not think that anything could possibly go wrong, as he was a skeptic. They lit candles and began to ask questions. After a half an hour, the glass they were using began to finally move. It just spoke random words and numbers and Becky began to tease it, thinking that it was messing with them. They got bored and left the room, at which time they witnessed the board and the glass be thrown into the wall. The glass, of course, broke. To my knowledge, they did not close the conversation.

My father left to go home and said he could feel something in the car with him. He could see nothing, just had this heavy, terrifying feeling that there was something with him (since he was in a car, I could find no reason why he could feel this for five miles. Anything earthly wouldn't span that far). He went home and sat in the living room, trying to calm himself down. My grandparent's house he was still living in is tiny. You can see every door in the house from sitting on the sofa. He said that he could hear every door slamming through the house, but no doors were really moving. There were heavy footsteps running everywhere. And he said that the feeling of fear was like nothing he has ever felt before.

Becky was experiencing the same thing. Upstairs in her home, you could hear heavy footsteps and doors slamming, like something huge was running around, throwing a fit. She had that same feeling of deep fear.

My dad went back to her house the next day, knowing that they had made a mistake. They sat in the living room, discussing what to do when they heard someone walking down the stairs. It turned the corner and walked to them, but nothing was there. Then my dad felt a huge hand on his shoulder. He said the fingers hit him mid chest and he could see the indent in his shirt but he couldn't see what was doing it. Later that night, Becky was thrown from her bed. My dad said there was a huge hand print on her thigh.

They decided to try the board again, trying to get the activity to stop. They were terrified. They didn't get a name or anything from the board. Nothing happened. Finally, they asked it what it wanted. It spelled out a row of numbers. My dad didn't realize until he walked out to his car that night that it had spelled out the plate number to his car.

At night, he could feel it in his room. He says he only saw it once, a huge black shadow that seemed to just stare at him. This went on for about a week- being followed, footsteps, fear. They ended up burning the board out of desperation and my dad said that most of the activity stopped. He says though, that even 30 years later, he can still feel it sometimes. He'll wake up horrified and be unable to move out of fear. And he will stay there, too scared to look around or get out of bed, until morning. It happened to him after he told me this story a few weeks ago after I asked him if he believed in anything.

He doesn't tell this story to anyone because he is still scared after so many years. He also knows that people won't believe him. I only believe him because it's my father and he is a very honest man.

I pride myself on being a logical person. I can't make logic explain this at all. Is there a single Earthly explanation for this? Bits and pieces of it, I can try to explain. But all together, I'm at a loss.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elnoraemily, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-09)
UPDATE:

Apparently, my Uncle was home at the time and heard the door slamming noises. I didn't know that at the time that I wrote this.

I found that to be interesting enough for an update.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
I find myself having to convince people that it is a bad idea a lot of the time.
I may be fairly skeptical about a lot of things, but a bad idea is still a bad idea.
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
He was right to not let you. I once wanted to do it in my own haunted house. My friend said she did it hers once, and it got ten times worse. And literally begged me not to do it. (She didn't like whatever was in my house) Ever since I've kind of accepted that thy are not to be messed with.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
Cman, that is apparently the reason he never let me play with them as a kid. Makes sense looking back, even though at the time, I was a little girl who didn't get it.

Rook, thank you for the input.:)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
30 years ago it sounds as if a spirit was contacted... Crossed over... And enjoyed the fear it caused in both Becky and your Father.

As far as the more recent experiences... A bit more logical here... This was an experience that truly scared Him... Perhaps one of the scariest experiences in his life... And now when he is under stress... Or perhaps it's as simple as when he talks about or remembers the experience the memories are enough to 'give him the willies' for a day or two.

He admits something he does not understand happened when they used that board... Without being there it's really hard to say what may have caused those 'events'...but they seem to have left an impression on your Father. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Dang! That is downright terrifying! I don't even think I could find a logical explanation if I tried. And pretty much the entire reason I would never use a Ouija Board in a nutshell.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-10)
Mitsibishi,
That is a weird/creepy connection with another experience!
I'll have to tell my father about that too- I think he sort of thinks he's going insane because he says he can still feel it around him after decades.

He has had some more experiences he has told me about lately that I might post later.
Mitsibishi (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
Sick story!:D
It was kind of weird that you mention the hand thing because my best friend did a ouija board once and he experienced weeks of straaaange happenings in his bedroom.
Hand marks appeared on his body, small hand marks. Everyone thought he was doing it to scare us all. But one night he woke the family screaming that someone was above him. Upon turning the light on, small hand prints were clearly seen on the ceiling above his bed.
Creeeepy!:o
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-03)
Hey there! That's an awesome story and just like you, I am out of answers too! What your dad felt, may and may not be paranormal! I am not really a skeptic so that's a reason why I feel the hand print to be a real thing! I have experienced paranormal things in my life. But again I can't judge. Hope both you and your father stay safe. Thank you.
-Shady
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-28)
Thank you all for your answers. I looked up this site and joined because the people here seem to be sane and well grounded people looking for answers. It's also a nice mixture of religions and skeptics. I know that the answers I'm looking for are elusive, but its nice to see others in my shoes.
Skeptic_not_Sceptic (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-28)
It is possible that your father was scared by the Ouija board, which caused his senses to be heightened. He may have misinterpreted some noises/air pressure/shadows in the dark. Like when you're watching a scary movie and your senses are on edge, and you jump at every little thing. Not saying it didn't happen; I'm just offering some possible explanations to a skeptic.
Beyonts (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-28)
Sometimes there is no logical explaination. Sometimes there can't be an asnwer. Maybe this such story will test your skeptical beliefs? Great story I enjoyed reading it 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
elnoraemily: I don't think being skeptical is such a bad thing. Really, we all need to be. But, when I witness a self professed skeptic posting a story on a site such as this I question whether they REALLY are as skeptical as they themselves believe, or would like others to believe 😊. There are infinite explanations for just about every experience, and we have to look at the mundane, plausible, logical explanations first. It's when we're left with no explanation that experiences can be deemed "paranormal". I don't know why I'm telling you all this, you seem to have a pretty strong grip on it 😆

Like you, I can't arrive at a logical explanation for your Dad's experiences. This is one of the reasons we like to have as much information as possible, because even though there are parts that can be explained individually, when incorporated into the big picture they lose their "mundane luster" LOL.

Great story! Thank you for posting 😊
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
You'll have to set aside your scepticism to find an explanation.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: