You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Skeptic

Real Ghost Stories

The Skeptic

 

To date, I've told you about my mom's poodle, my brother, my dad, myself and my son. I've mentioned my husband. He is the ultimate skeptic who moves back and forth between belief and outright disbelief. He has no qualms telling me I'm imagining things or that I'm crazy. Then when something happens he can't deny or explain he just shrugs and says, "that's weird." So I thought I would tell you a bit about a couple things he says, "that's weird" about. These are not anecdotes, but things I witnessed or was involved with first hand, from my perspective.

My hubby and I met in the military. We lived in base housing for the first 3 years of our marriage. The base housing dated back to the early 40's. Our barracks and our squadron dated from pre-WWII era. While we were still dating, we both lived in the Barracks. He lived on the 3rd floor and I on the 1st. We'd usually meet in the 1st floor lounge. I'd cook dinner for us and we'd hang out and watch television most nights. I didn't drink and he was a 'hidden' alcoholic. Hidden as in I didn't have a clue until after we were married.

One Tuesday night, I pulled barracks watch. We had a big sortie planned the next day so everyone was in their racks except me. I really didn't care for wandering an old dark barracks in the dead of night, but it wasn't too bad. The occasional shadow person, sometimes a scurrying not-quite-corporeal thing sliding along the walls, once in a while a full torso in old uniform moving along, nothing to get alarmed about. Respectful avoidance. There was no interaction between them and me, just awareness and avoidance.

That night, I was doing my wandering patrol on the second floor and heard a low startled sounding shout coming from the floor above. I hurried up there thinking someone had fallen or something. Nobody in the hall and the shower/bathroom were quiet and dark. I looked around a bit more, nothing. I shrugged it off, and being a woman of opportunity, took the chance to slip a flirty note under my boyfriend (hubby's) door. It shocked the hell out of me when the note was yanked from my fingertips as I slid it under the door, then it pushed back out and skittered all the way across the hall to bounce off the opposite wall.

I picked it up and put it in my pocket. If he didn't want my note then fine, he could piss off. I turned and went back down the hall - and ran into my hubby/boyfriend. He gave me a look that was half ego half irritation. "Want to see me so bad you couldn't wait?"

"What?" I was still processing what had happened. I mean if HE wasn't in his room who the heck was?

"I was just getting the rubbers. I left them in my car. You said to meet you by the geedunk right?" When I didn't answer he shrugged "Kinda hard to hear with you whispering. And yeah, you're not supposed to use the master, even if it's to get laid." He kind of gave me a playfully lecherous once over. "Don't worry I won't report you."

I was still processing. All the rooms had their own keycode pad, but there was a master key that released any of the rooms in the barracks. The watch had the key, but to use it without CO permission was risking Captain's Mast. I'd never do that.

"I didn't... Jerry, you have to be up in a couple hours. I wouldn't wake you when you have to work on the birds." I kind of blinked myself back. "So who the hell is in your room?"

It was Jerry's turn to look confused. "Nobody. I told you I went out to get the rubbers."

I told him about the note and what happened. He laughed and called me crazy. I handed him the note to prove it. He went back to his room and shoved it under the door. We waited a second and when it stayed, he shrugged like that was that, hugged me, groped my butt, and told me to enjoy my watch, he was going to get some sleep. I told him that he needed to open the door and prove there wasn't anyone inside - not because I am some kind of jealous girlfriend, but because if he was being honest and he hadn't been inside, and he didn't KNOW someone was inside, then as watch, I had a potential intruder. (you believe that right?)

He laughed at me again, but didn't argue. I think he thought he was going to get lucky if I went in his room. When he reached out to key in his code, the folded note shot out from beneath the door and pinged into the wall across the hall. Jerry jumped about a foot and did something that equally warms and pisses me off to this day, he instantly shoved me back behind him. I was freaking armed and he is shielding me? Really? *coughs I digress.*

Jerry opened the door and shoved it wide, his other hand reaching for the light switch at the same time. Nothing, nada, empty. At least at first glance. He looked under the bed, behind the radiator, dresser and bedside table. Nothing. For some reason Jerry kept returning to the corner opposite the window where a small dresser sat. He said he thought he saw something, a rat or something, run over there but I'm not sure if he recognized something on a conscious level. I did. Overlaying the dresser was a shadow that did not belong in that room. Tall, thin, with disproportionately long arms and legs, a shadow person watched us. I got the impression of amusement, a kind of wicked, gotcha playfulness. No feeling of evil though,

Jerry saw the 'rat' several times and always when something mischievous happened. Strangely no rat or mouse was caught in his room though.

***

I did promise more than one incident. Let's skip forward several years - 15 to be exact. My husband is an only child and was raised in a household of himself, his mother and his maternal grandmother. His mother was an addict and didn't have a lot to do with him, so his grandmother was more of a mother to him than his mom.

I want to make this clear, I did not like her in the slightest. She was one of those people who covered their mean words and intent with pseudo niceness and christian values. She was a racist bigot who would call someone she never met a name based solely on the color of their skin or what state/city they lived in or were born in. She would attribute character traits on that person for the same reasons. For all those faults, she gave Jerry parental stability - I gave her respect for that.

She passed away at the age of 84. Jerry was devastated. He would get his alcohol and go to the cemetery and visit with her 2 to 3 times a week and when he woke up in the morning he'd be full of the 'dream' or 'hallucination' conversation he had with his grandma.

I would have to go to the cemetery to pick him up because I refused to let him drink and drive. One day, on a day I knew he'd go to her grave, I went early. I wanted to catch him before he started drinking, I wanted to stop him and make him see what was happening to him. Grief and depression were dropping him deeper into his own addictions and it was hurting everyone he touched.

As I waited, I didn't really have a sense of anything large paranormal around, just a sense of rest, peace. There were flutters and shadows, but they were normal for me to see, nothing with intent or interest in me. At some point during the half hour I waited, I began to talk to her. I'm not sure why, it just seemed to start. I said hello and it went from there. By the time my husband arrived, I'd explained why I was there, what was happening, and my fears. At some point, and I don't know when, I began to feel like she was there, listening, although it was such a gradual realization, that I didn't acknowledge it until Jerry arrived.

Jerry was already mostly trashed when he got there so it wasn't hard to talk him into just leaving the flowers he'd brought and get him to go home and sleep it off. That is not what happened. When we got home, I sent the kids to their rooms to do their homework, while I fix dinner, and Jerry, instead of passing out, sat on the couch. I went to the kitchen, and after putting the meat in the microwave to defrost I returned to the livingroom to find him staring at our rocker glider. I noticed it was moving slightly and then I saw the odd... Shimmer.

Jerry gave me his sloppy drunk smile. "Grandma can't stay to supper, but she said she needs to talk to me."

I carefully sat on the opposite end of the couch. "Oookay." What followed was a one sided conversation where my husband broke down, admitting he was an alcoholic, shared his feelings about his mom's addictions, something about someone named Alan (later learned bio-dad as Jerry is adopted) and that he didn't understand why he drank. I also learned about Family members long dead who had issues (that had never been discussed). "Sofia's dad drank?" Was just one part. Basically what I got out of it was that Jerry came from at least 4 generations of addicts (alcohol and drugs). Jerry passed out and when he woke several hours later, he said it was a helluva dream/hallucination, then he said that he was going to see about counselling for his drinking. When I told him about the family stuff that I'd picked up on from his hallucination/dream all he says is 'that's weird.' He refuses to even think it was an intervention even though the information has been verified.

Not going to lie, it's been an uphill battle and my husband has been known to make fun of his recovery "Alanon is for quitters and I'm not a quitter." Right now he is dry... And we will keep trying. I'm just glad his grandma was able to help... Even if she had to come back to do it.

Other hauntings by MaggieMay_Not

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MaggieMay_Not, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-26)
Maggie, I had to comment on your story (I just read Window View). Your words made me laugh and choke up; you describe the situation and your feelings so clearly, I feel as if I'm right there with you.

You are a very strong and brave woman; I hope your husband realizes how lucky he is. 😉

Thank you for sharing and I hope everything remains on the up and up. Definitely added to my favorites ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-24)
Maggie - I just have to tell you that I had a good giggle about the mousetrap and your shoes. It would seem to me that your man is totally obsessed with rodents 😁

What makes life so interesting, especially when you join a forum such as this, is the diversity of personalities and opinions.

Yes, I do still feel that some things are too personal to share on an open forum but hey, you don't agree and I accept that.

I had an experience which I haven't submitted because it concerned an argument between my husband and I and "something" decided to intervene. Well I'll admit that I'm a very private person and I don't easily share personal events.

I might step outside of my comfort zone and share that experience after all.

Regards, Melda
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-24)
LuciaJacinta - Thank you for commenting. I didn't get a sense of evil or negativity from that Shadow Person. I have felt true evil, and malevolent intent. This felt more playful and mischievous. Was it capable of evil? Of that I have no doubt, but it is in the same way any created creature is capable of evil. You have given me a terrific Idea, LuciaJacinta. I have a very different take on paranormal beings - I think my next tale will be an explanation of that take, with examples of instances why I feel that way, So THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was debating on whether to elaborate on the booted incident, or share one of the True evil incidents I've had. As for passed in the family - I believe absolutely that is possible, and I have very good reason, but that again is another tale. So Thank you again LuciaJacinta.

Maggie
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-24)
Melda

Thank you again for your kind remarks. The entity was decidedly not a rat or any other corporeal creature. Rodent presence is the way my husband's mind processes the paranormal. To give you another example - 4 years ago, we were awakened by heavy, booted footsteps upstairs. We were alone in the house except for the dogs. The dogs (Padmei a boxer and Leia a Bassett) were huddled behind me shaking and whimpering as I big spooned my hubby. I knew from their reaction we didn't have a human intruder because they are fierce protectors. Did you know the droopy jowls of a Bassett can completely retract to show some serious fangs? No joke it's one of the scariest things I've ever seen. They get protective whenever anyone new enters the house. Growls, snarls and threatening posture. It takes at least 3 visits before they stand down.

Anyway, he got out of bed, grabbed the gun from the nightstand, and rushed upstairs. The walking stopped as soon as his feet hit the floor. He came down a few minutes later and said we needed to get new mousetraps. I yawned and said okay. I didn't argue because to him, he saw a mouse playing with my shoes and that was the cause of the noise. Mice do not have footsteps - especially heavy booted ones that are loud enough to wake 2 grown adults at 2 in the morning. And even if something was playing with my shoes - I wear flats and Mary Janes not boots.

Maggie
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-24)
AugustaM - Thank you for the kind reply. Yes Jerry got a talking to, although he refers to it as a drunken dream. The Shadow person... Well to be honest I think 'testing' our relationship wasn't even a factor. I think it was just bored and wanted some mischief. My father taught me about respectful avoidance. Acknowledge mentally that you see them, but don't interact - take steps back and away to avoid drawing interest and attention. Do not confront or antagonize if they are NOT interested in you. If you perceive/feel they are focused on you then it is all about perception of intent whether or not to go on the offensive or remain passive, or at times playful. Sometimes intent - yours and theirs - is the difference between playful note shoving and being terrified awake by a shaft of pure ice and malevolence.

Maggie
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-23)
Very interesting. Creepy that this spirit knew you. There are familiar spirits that pass down the family line and try to attach themselves. Is it a thought that this entity could be associated with negativity following you? Perhaps you should thank it for the intervention but tell it to go away? I just don't think the "rat" spirit was up to good things. I don't think the rat and the grandma shimmer were the same entities. Do you?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-23)
I am of the same frame of mind, Maggie and I too have shared some rather raw things in this forum. If it stands a chance of helping someone, nothing is too private in my eyes.

You are a very strong person to have gotten your husband through all of that, I hope he appreciates you ❤

Sounds like grandma sure gave him a talking to. I wonder if at first, before you intervened, she allowed him to keep coming to her graveside and get blitzed because the alcohol put him into a state where she could communicate with him and she wasn't ready to let go. I don't mean that in a sinister way on her part just perhaps a bit selfish in the way that all of us can be without meaning any harm. Once you had the conversation with her, she knew it was time to think of what was best for him and his living loved ones.

And what a set up! 😜 Whatever that spirit was, it sure knew how to work a situation! Sounds like it was trying to test your relationship.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-01-23)
Maggie - Thanks for your response. No, I didn't initially pick up on the fact that it was a set-up but I did realise that something was trying to get your attention. It knew it could because of your sensitivity.

Okay so then it decided that it was game time. Actually the whole scenario is very funny, lover's note pushed in, pushed out, twice 😁 It wanted contact, not letters!

Also interesting that Jerry was seeing rats and you saw the actual shadow of the entity. Of course I don't believe that there was a rat in sight, he was making things up to make sense of the whole situation. Rat playing footsie with a letter? Nooo.

I get you on the alcohol point. Alcoholics tend to be cupboard drinkers, they steal a quick drink when they think nobody is watching but unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, they can't hide their condition from people who are close to them.

I googled AA and glanced through the 12 steps. So yes, an alcoholic has to be open and honest with those supporting him/her and even apologise to those he/she has hurt through alcoholism. You obviously support Jerry wholeheartedly and I think he's very fortunate that you decided to fight this alongside him. I know only he can control his addiction but without you by his side it would be far more difficult. Every now and then he might slip up but then he just has to get on track again.

I can absolutely believe that Jerry's gran listened to you and intervened. After all this was her boy, she had raised him.

No flies on you Maggie - you are an interesting new face on YGS.

Regards, Melda
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+5
6 years ago (2018-01-22)
Melda - I separated this from my other response because I feel it is very important. Bare All - sort of. But you see, my husband hid his alcoholism for years. If there is one thing I learned - Alcoholism should never be hidden. I will do everything I can to bring this crippling and disabling affliction out in the open. I am not ashamed or embarrassed because of this disease. I don't believe in hiding it - hiding it allows it to grow and become more destructive
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-01-22)
Melda - No worries. Nothing to forgive. I tend to be blunt spoken and I consider all aspects of life to be equal and as long as not prurient or obscene, not off limits. Most of us have sex, most of us practice sex I hope. By sharing the details I'd hoped to emphasize the exact circumstances - and my hubby's skepticism by his actions and words - and the exact mindset. We weren't 'hunting' or even in a marginally spooky frame of mind. Perhaps I was too subtle in my writing? Jerry was tricked by a whisper to go outside just before I heard the startled shout from upstairs. The whole thing was a setup - And here is the rub - for the Shadow person to plan that the Shadow person had to know who to speak to (my hubby) and know that I was on watch. What I think you missed is that this entity KNEW us, our relationship, and enough about us to plan the mischief.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-22)
Maggie - Nobody has responded to you and I wonder whether it is for the same reason that I haven't until now.

You have submitted some really good accounts and I was somewhat dismayed after I read this one. To be very honest with you, I felt a little embarrassed.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying, I don't disbelieve your experiences at all. What surprised me more than a little is that you were prepared to bare all, so to speak, such as your boyfriend/husband groping you and the references to getting laid and getting rubbers from his car, plus your husband's alcoholism.

Believe me, I understand alcoholism. I have known a number of recovering (plus still active) alcoholics during my life. I also know that this is an illness and it is also hereditary.

Forgive me if I sound judgmental, I don't mean to be but I think that some things are too private for a public forum.

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: