You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Demonic Encounter?

Real Ghost Stories

Demonic Encounter?

 

Late one night my insomnia got the better of me and after hours of tossing and turning I gave up and came downstairs to make coffee. My dog decided she would take this rare opportunity to go for a late night walk and I thought since it was a cool evening maybe it would do us both good. I decided to take our usual route since it was very dark and we both knew the neighborhood well. Things were not right almost from the start. As soon as we hit the next block Bella (my dog) seemed very unsettled. I wrote it up to the dark and time of our walk although we have walked many times at this hour over the years for some reason or other. She kept looking behind us and rushing along. Not at all her usual M.o... Usually she just strolls slowly and carefully because of her advanced age. I was not concerned at first because for years I have carried a.45 sidearm and the entire neighborhood knows it. We got to our first right at the stop sign and I thought while she did her thing on the hydrant I would light a smoke. The street light went dim then out. Ok that was weird; we kept walking. Every street light we walked under dimmed and would go out, or almost. I started feeling the hair on the back of my neck stand up and hearing noises on the opposite side of the street. Cats or skunks. That was what I told myself. Halfway home I looked at my phone and it was 3 am. Great. I put my phone back in my pocket and rubbed my Saint Benedict medal for comfort. I was really working myself up. That is when it happened. Bella spun ran in front of me and hackles and ears fully up, started growling like I never heard her do. Teeth bared and acting very aggressive at...nothing, at least that I could see. She than just let loose of her bladder and spun and took off as fast as a 15 year old dog can. Now I am really freaked out, I had dropped the leash and had started after her. That is when every dog in the neighborhood started howling. Bella was not barking or even in sight but dogs were baying and howling and while I was chasing after her maybe it was my imagination. I became very aware of the blessed medal I had around my neck. I was walking in the direction she went thinking at her age she could not have ran far. Feeling like I was being watched, I found her a block and a half away, in a yard no dog goes in because the owners treat their lawn with an anti canine treatment, sitting in front of a statue of the Blessed Mother. I said this walk is now over, called my wife to come get us and when dialing the phone did not miss the fact that although 10 minutes had elapsed my phone still read 3 am. My wife showed up very pissed off until I got in the car with Bella who was shaking so much you would have thought it to be 40 degrees instead of 65. I was white as a sheet. She told me on the ride she saw a black shape dart behind a tree, only it was not there when she drove by. It is a good thing you brought your gun she told me, I on the other hand knew it was protection of a different nature that had saved us.

My wife has asked me why I have gotten a Saint Michael medal for Bella's collar. I just said it can't hurt. I have since researched what happened that night and it falls into something dark picked on us that night, and I would rather the whys and what for remain a mystery. One I would not want to go through again.

Other hauntings by moondog

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, moondog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dennis191 (1 stories) (36 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-06-12)
Scary? Yeah, but what is it with people and urban myths like 3 am, orb photos, emf meters and such?...

Nonetheless street lights flickering/dimming/turning off is 99,99% of the time has nothing to do with spirits, ours tend to do that when it gets dark, as the sensors that turn them on sometimes do "their thing" and a few seconds later it all goes back to normal. Sometimes they even light up earlier than usual.
So that said... Let's say it was really an evil spirit? Then what? What did it want? And if it was aware that you had protection, why would it still chase after you? I mean it is only logical that it'd pick a time when you'd be more vulnerable to its influences, and if it was really so powerful, a simple chase down the streets wouldn't cut it, it'd probably do some nasty things... However there's a chance it really was something otherwordly... I'll leave that for you to decide.

As far as my readings and all sorts of research got me, they always want something, they don't just pop up at random people's, and maybe spook around for a few nights and then leave... But ay, I'm nowhere near an expert on anything related to these things so... The story was thrilling so cheers.
silverknight (1 stories) (25 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-19)
Hello moondog. I just read this story now and there are a few things I could relate to. First about your dog sensing something unseen. My dad and our dog experienced something similar to yours though not as intense.

Next is the medal of Saint Benedict. This is something introduced to my family not so long ago and I personally have it with me too. After reading that you were wearing one at the time this event happened, I feel a bit worried to know that something this scary approached you and your dog. I hope you do not mind me asking some questions about it. Was this medal ever blessed? If yes, who did the blessing?
funeralmass (1 stories) (27 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-17)
Hi Moondog, having lived the first 40 years of my life in a city with a high crime rate, I am also a CCW permit holder, I carry, and keep firearms near me at all times. I'm also a.45 ACP man myself (high five). With that said, I don't really think your experience was supernatural. Dogs (any animals really) can act weird and do weird things for seemingly no reason. I agree with Rook about 3:00 AM having no significance. It sounds more like your initial thoughts of your dog sensing some animal is the correct assumption for your dog's behavior. If there was any danger on the streets with you that night, I think some 230 gn Hydra Shok JHPs would have been the perfect amount and type of protection.
Integrist (83 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
"It is a TIME (very early in the morning) that we MAY notice more activity because EVERYTHING ELSE is being so quite, but paranormal activity does not 'gain' any 'extra' power from this time of the morning. Oh, it ALSO has NOTHING to do with the Time Christ was Crucified..."

A rather rash thing to say.

Others' experiences state otherwise. The number 3 has been shown to be prevalent in instances of demonic oppression and possession. Of course, those who do not believe will seek whatever other alternative explanation.

[at] moondog:

Good on you on getting a St. Michael medal for your dog.
One particular Saint you may want to check is St. Gemma Galgani, whose intercession often is implored by exorcists - to great effect.

Regards,
Integrist
moondog (4 stories) (5 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-05)
I have to respond to a comment made by Macknorton. As you rightfully pointed out my comment about carrying a sidearm may have come off a bit too casual. But at the urging of the local Pd, I was encouraged to do so for several reasons. My car was stolen as I was getting in it to go to work and although I did not resist, a shot was fired. More importantly the second reason is Bella was taken from me at gunpoint at 4am during one of our walks. I got her back but the intention of the thief was to use her as a bait dog for dog fights. There have been 11 reports of stolen dogs in a three block radius. That is why the neighbors are happy to see me out and about.
Unicron1000 (guest)
+3
7 years ago (2016-11-07)
I believe you about your experience. Animals can see and/or sense things that people cannot. So if your dog was acting like that, she saw something you didn't. I hope you don't have any experiences like that again. 😊
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-11-07)
Hi Moondog

Personally, I don't think there's anything in your account that points to a low-level or unenlightened spirit being anywhere near you. Could be just general paranoia?

However, what disturbed me (and continues to do so when I read about them on this site) was this apparently flippant comment:

"...I was not concerned at first because for years I have carried a.45 sidearm and the entire neighborhood knows it..."

I live in New Zealand. As far as I am aware, NOBODY carries around firearms as one would a cellphone, for example. For people looking from the outside in, the gun culture in the States is jaw-droppingly insane.

I would be far more worried to bump into you Moondog, with your loaded weapon, in your highly agitated state during the wee small hours, than some spirit entity.

Peace to all😊

Regards

Mack
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-05)
Weird, definitely. I think human threats or odd feelings are more frightening than the so-called paranormal.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2016-11-05)
POINT OF ORDER...

Ahem, cough, cough...

Speaking as a Former Witch 3 A.M. (in my experience) has NOTHING to do with Witches, Castings OR a 'special' time for Spirits.

It is a TIME (very early in the morning) that we MAY notice more activity because EVERYTHING ELSE is being so quite, but paranormal activity does not 'gain' any 'extra' power from this time of the morning. Oh, it ALSO has NOTHING to do with the Time Christ was Crucified...

Having 'vented' I will say this... Spirits may find it easier to draw energy from our sleeping bodies as we rest as our unconscious thoughts and energy 'bleed' off. It's also 'scarier' to experience things when we are half awake, in the dark and alone (most of the time).

So, no offence Mr. Powell... But if you search around this sight you will see that MANY members have inputs to debunk the 3 A.M. Phenomenon (sp?).

As for this experience goes... Sorry after reading it there is not enough information/details presented for me to think this was paranormal, strange, yes... But not caused by spirits or as the title asks demons?

Respectfully,

Rook
robertapowell18 (1 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-05)
I really enjoyed reading this. 3 A.M. Is the known time for poltergeist activity to begin, also known as the witching hour to begin, clocks have been known to stop as well. Thank you for sharing this experience.
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-04)
This may just be the scariest account I've ever read here! Glad you are all okay.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: