You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Childhood Paranormal Odds And Sods Part 2

Real Ghost Stories

Childhood Paranormal Odds And Sods Part 2

 

This second part of my childhood paranormal experiences compiles the few incidents that I documented after my family relocated from the Chicago suburbs to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Part of my notes on these southern paranormal experiences, which I wrote down in my late teens, have been lost. I have done my best to fill in the few missing bits. A conversation with my brother on Christmas Eve (2016) was very helpful in confirming details of an incident that involved him.

We lived on a part of the island called Sea Pines Plantation, which was and remains a major tourist mecca. Besides many residential neighborhoods, Sea Pines also has a huge number of rental condos and villas for the tourist fueled economy. The several world famous golf courses drew many visitors as does Harbour Town and South Beach Marina, which are filled with shops, restaurants and many water related activities. Everything from boat rentals and tours to fishing charters and dolphin viewing excursions. My parents purchased a one story, modest but modern house in a neighborhood called Greenwood Forest. The lots were small but very heavily wooded and we lived on a very quiet, snug cul-de-sac called Wildwood Court. When we first moved in (and for the first four years) there were only two other houses on the street. Pine, live oak, pampas grass, oleander and azalea are much of the flora that populated the woods around our house.

There were three bedrooms and my brother and I shared one. I was ten when we moved into the house and it wasn't until right around the time my twin brother and I turned thirteen that anything I considered paranormal occurred. Our age, I believe, was integral to much of what transpired. The mysterious bed-rocking (discussed in part one of this account) that had become a part of my typical evening had ceased when we moved but while writing this up, it struck me that this might have been so because my bed in the new house was the upper bunk of a bunk-bed built into a three sided nook of the room. In short, there was no bed frame to rock. One placid, sunny summer afternoon in 1980, soon after I had turned thirteen, I was sitting on a couch in the living room reading. Directly to my left was the kitchen, which was exposed via a large open space above a built-in kitchen banquette. From my vantage point I had a clear view through the kitchen to the back door. This door, I need to point out, had a large pane of glass in it that allowed a full view of a small gated utility area, one side of which was an attached shed. To get to this backdoor (the door was actually located at the front of the house but off to the side) one had to first enter into the utility area through a tall fence door.

Engrossed in my magazine, I was startled when I heard the door suddenly open. Quickly standing up I saw the door opening and the handle rotating as if a hand was manipulating it. It opened halfway, as if to allow a person in and then swiftly closed, clicking shut loudly. This door always stuck a bit and required an extra effort to close it fully. It sounded exactly as if someone was returning home and the opening and closing of the door mirrored the action of somebody entering. The problem here was that nobody was there. At least that I could see. As I earlier noted, it was a bright sunny afternoon and there was only an occasional hint of a gentle breeze. My parents, who had been out jogging, came back home about fifteen minutes later and when I told them what had happened they had no satisfying explanation. They were winded after their run and I don't think really gave what I was saying any real consideration, not that I expected them to have a solution.

Only a week later I was again alone and sitting on the same couch reading. It was close to nine in the evening and was dark outside. Our family cat Tigger was nestled on my lap napping when suddenly a jarring, wrenching sound followed a loud metallic clatter burst forth from the kitchen. Tigger and I both reacted simultaneously, turning our heads towards the ruckus. Jumping up from the couch I ran to investigate and was stunned at what I found. The silverware drawer was dangling precariously, as if someone had just violently pulled it out. Several knives, forks and spoons were scattered on the floor and the silverware that was still in the drawer was haphazardly strewn about, mostly jumbled up towards the front.

At this point, I think it's important to suggest I do believe there was a link between the puberty my brother and I were going through, some rather intense emotional issues I was experiencing and these two incidents. On Hilton Head, my brother, sister and I attended a private academy. As the order of the day, if you were a boy, was Izod and Polo shirts, khaki pants and neatly trimmed hair, my, let's call it individuality, wasn't greeted with open arms. I had long hair, regularly joked at the expense of the teachers during classes and wore t-shirts that alerted all to my favorite bands (my Black Sabbath Heaven And Hell t-shirt, with its angels enjoying a smoke break always caught the attention of other kids and school staff). The joking I engaged in was certainly inspired and influenced by the ostracism I keenly felt every day. This was due in no small part to my sartorial and hair choices, but long story short, I was distinctly feeling a lot of intense negative energy along with my physical changes and it does seem a strong possibility that all those pent-up emotions were seeking expression.

More often than not, my public self bottled up frustrated feelings, even though I had quite a bad temper, and I feel this contributed to the above mentioned (likely) poltergeist manifestations. More specifically, as has been discussed in psychical literature, I feel that the puberty I was going through, combined with pent up anger and frustration led to these psychokinetic events. All the intense emotions that had built up in me needed an outlet and psychokinetic expression just makes sense to me. Worth considering too is that both of these possible poltergeist incidents occurred while I was preoccupied reading. As has been noted time and again in case studies of people experiencing apparitions while in some way distracted from the world around them, it seems pent up psychokinetic energy often seeks these moments to become known as well. The main point here, I believe, is that a state of mind when one is disengaged from the world around them is conducive to multiple forms of paranormal activity.

Although my notes on further poltergeist-like incidents at this house are missing, from what I can remember, the only other events I experienced personally involved a sliding glass door that led out onto the back porch of the house. On at least two occasions, at night before going to bed, I remember locking this sliding door only to notice it unlocked and open about a foot just moments later. This lock needed to be pressed down with a good amount of force, so for it to suddenly become unlocked and the door itself opened, suggests possible further poltergeist-like activity. Something just struck me that I never thought about before. For at least a year, three toads would appear at this sliding door at twilight each evening. I would bring them some lettuce (or whatever) and they would let me pat their heads with my finger. I dubbed them King Edward, Prince Rupert and something else I have forgotten. Their appearance every night always seemed a bit magical to me and they were always sitting there in a perfect line. They always seemed almost like they were ready to talk and should have been wearing smoking jackets and sipping port. My mom remembered them too when I would bring them up before she died. It probably has nothing to do with the door becoming unlocked and open but I felt it worth mentioning that it was the same door. Maybe a YGS reader will have some insight into toads appearing at the same spot over and over.

The last major phenomenon was experienced by my brother. I recently questioned him about this incident on Christmas Eve (2016). On the night in question the rest of the family - me, my mom, dad and sister were at a special school event. The "Lower School", which comprised grades one through six, put on a "Lower School Circus" every year. My sister and I were in the lower school and so were a part of the thing. As a quick aside, the reason I was still in the lower school was because I had been held back in both grades three and four. I really got into far too much trouble back then. At any rate, my brother had opted to stay home alone. We were both thirteen when the following occurred. Upon our return to the house around nine PM, he met us at the door and seemed agitated and upset. He told us that about an hour after we left he was watching tv in the living room when he suddenly heard what sounded like loud breathing. Investigating, he said the breathing "seemed to come from everywhere" and could be heard in every room of the house. I referenced this incident in the comment section of someone else's account when I used it to suggest how the odd sounds a refrigerator can make can be confused with something paranormal. Over the years I have had refrigerators that, once or twice daily, have sounded like Darth Vader had magically teleported into the kitchen. The sound is related to the cooling element and having heard this many times over the years I discounted my brother's experience as the family refrigerator. Discussing this incident with my brother just a few days ago and thinking about it while writing up these notes has forced me to analyze it afresh. He is adamant that the breathing sound was at the same loud volume in every room in the house. No matter if he was in the kitchen or the master bedroom's walk in closet, he heard it at the same, even volume. It's important to note that I don't remember that refrigerator ever making weird sounds. Typical conformist appliance.

If it had actually been the 'fridge, the sound would have almost certainly been inaudible in the far reaches of the house. My initial conclusion that my brother experienced a combination of the refrigerator "respirating" and jittery nerves combined with being alone doesn't really add up. My thought now, especially after talking about this recently with my brother, is to conclude that the breathing sound was either associated with the other poltergeist activity or had another paranormal origin. In retrospect I wish I had kept a detailed daily dairy of events during this period, as it seems likely that there were other smaller things that occurred that would've been interesting to consider as part of a bigger picture. As a young teenager, however, that was as likely as me waking up one day and listening to Anne Murray instead of Iron Maiden.

What I hope to discover from the YGS community, is whether anyone has experienced anything similar to any of these occurrences or can note patterns I haven't noticed. I'm particularly interested in finding out if anyone has ever heard a sound of breathing that seems "to come from everywhere." It would be great if I could finally pass on to my brother, "It seems I might have been off base about you acting like a faint hearted and trembling chambermaid in a storm lashed mansion straight out of a 1940s era melodrama all those years ago." Although I do, of course, still consider that a possibility.

Other hauntings by Manafon1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Manafon1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-12)
Jubeele - Thanks for your comments. Those three toads pop into my mind occasionally. That they visited every night at the same time, always sitting there in a row, was a magical thing. I liked your thoughts on reincarnation. I have never been a particular fan of the idea and agree that we should make the most of our time in the here and now. RANDYM and I have discussed reincarnation extensively but I have to admit that I am not smitten with the thought of repeatedly returning to this quickly overpopulating, polluted and strife filled world.

If there is a choice our soul is given after this physical life is through, I'm up for hanging with all my loved ones who preceded me in leaving this life. Like you, I have many things I plan to accomplish before I shed my mortal coil. When I do kick it, I plan on entering the afterlife satisfied!
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Hi Manafon, I've really enjoyed Part 2. This is actually my 2nd attempt to post a comment. The initial one was so 'profound' that its very weightiness crashed my whole machine. So I'm afraid this will have to be the 'diluted' version.

I loved the 3 toads turning up on your doorstep each twilight for a feed. Hop-hop-hop and hello, helloo, hellooo! Reminded me of Toad of Toad Hall from "Wind in the Willows". The other thing I thought of was the Chinese 3-legged money toad. My Mum gave me one such talisman years ago. Not sure how effective it is, but since then, we've paid off the mortgage, are currently debt-free and get the odd windfall whenever we hit a financial snag. Ok, being careful with $$$ helps too.

About reincarnation. My parents converted to Christianity and sent us all to Sunday School and Bible studies. But I also grew up in Asia amid Taoist/Buddhist practices. I always felt it was more of a personal spiritual journey towards Enlightenment. Our efforts from each lifetime is to ensure that with every turn from the Wheel of Life, we're that much closer to our souls' ultimate goal of divinely-blessed Immortality.

This is merely my personal take on this, as every individual's path to self-awareness is different. I feel that Buddha or the spiritual ideals of enlightenment is contained in all of us - we all have the potential to achieve divine light. It's keeping on the path that's the tricky part. That's how the idea of reincarnation comes in: we're being given another chance to do better because this is a difficult endeavour.

The question of loved ones left behind and memories of past lives is an interesting one. I sometimes do wonder if there's something behind recognizing "old souls" and feelings of déjà vu. Oh, have I said this before...?

But I'm not entirely sure about having multiple bites at the cherry, over several lifetimes. My own preference is to always do the best with the time and resources we're given. In this lifetime. Best not take anything for granted! 🤔
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-28)
You know what? Screw that. I deleted the last comment made by both of you.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-28)
KikiGirl and Tweed - enough already! You both have made it clear you have an issue with the other. I'm tired of having to watch the comments to see who is not going to let it go.

Next comment from either of you, directed to the other, that is not related to advice on one of your own stories will be deleted!
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-28)
Hello everyone

I have been having a wonderful discussion with Manofan via email and it has been fascinating. Like we were talking, some of these concepts can be hard to grapple with because we are dealing with ideas that are so complex yet we only have our human mind to try and work them out with. I noted that a few here have mentioned about how our loved ones in the spirit world would feel and miss us while we are on earth. There are some that believe when we are here living a human life than part of our spirit remains in the spirit realm.
I also think that we must try and see things in a relative fashion.
Point of view for reality can mean everything

Those of us with kids can probably remember our little vermin's first day of kindergarten or 1st grade. Upon depositing our little offspring to the teacher all of a sudden they go from being our little love ball to a screaming ball of tears and snot. From their concept the world as they know has come to an end. Mom and Dad are gone forever and they are being turned over to some mean stranger for a round of Pink Floyd's "another Brick In The Wall"
BUT!
We know that in a few short hours, and I do mean few, that Mom and Dad return and really do love them after all and now they get to go home. Life has returned to normal.
Point of view and understanding can mean everything. Sometimes the poor kid can't grasp the reality of the whole situation. Just can't comprehend it.

I really believe we are like that kid when it comes to trying to figure out what waits for us on the other side. I'm very guilty of trying to use my knowledge of life on earth and how things work here and apply that set of rules to the afterlife.
In truth I and we can't do that. Once we cross over life as we know it ends. The rules end. The way things work here ends.
I do not believe we suddenly have all of the answers revealed to us. But I truly believe a lot of things about our life that made no sense will become crystal clear.

All of us are on a journey, a journey alone yet connected
We are individuals, yet we re connected.

I told Manofan something I heard from a "friend"

"Love, it is everything, everything,everything..."
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
KikiGirl--I don't personally like the idea of reincarnation from my present human perspective. I am, however, open to other ideas and concepts on things like reincarnation. RANDYM and I have discussed some ideas and he has made me consider alternative possibilities.

What I was saying, in regards to the question you have asked twice, is that since time doesn't exist the afterlife, if we return to this planet to live another life, it might seem like we are only gone briefly to our loved ones who remain in the spiritual realm. It's a straightforward thought. Don't confuse yourself by making what I have written seem more complex than it is.
DirtCreature (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
I don't have any beliefs in the reincarnation, Kiki. I was just giving an example of some of the beliefs people have in regards to the afterlife and reincarnation. Some people believe you don't get ripped away from your family just because you live on Earth again and again. I just find it fascinating. When it comes to my own personal beliefs, I am very agnostic and have a pantheistic perspective on gods. I also believe in various entities human and nonhuman (ex: nature spirits). Beyond that, I am not against ideas like demons, angels, heaven, reincarnation, etc. I just don't actively hold the beliefs, as I am skeptical of them but I am open to discussion on their possibilities.

The reason why your family would be in the after/heaven/other dimension whatever you want to call it is because they may have different reincarnation cycles. Some believe reincarnation is a choice to an extent. So while some of your family members may be on Earth you may still be in the after. And it may cycle this way. Perhaps you come back and only after (just for the example let's say 1000 years) so much time you go back down to Earth. Some people believe, as Manafon pointed out, that in the after we don't have the fears of temporary separation we have on Earth and continue a spiritual journey. It's fascinating but I remain on the fence with it. Not out of my fear of not temporarily seeing family but out of the lack of experience in regard to reincarnation. As far as I have experienced, I believe there is another dimension overlapping with ours.
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
-2
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
Manafon1, thanks for elaborating and some things do make a lot of sense, now! For example, the worries that are part of natural physical form will not be the concerns of a spiritual form like, illness, reading disability or death.

I am still confused about this, leaving "instantaneously" and how it fits in with our family and the spiritual afterlife, in that context. As I understand it, your belief or feelings are that you don't believe in reincarnation and you a particularly adverse to the idea of a. Not seeing your loved ones after passing and b. Not being able to be with your family when you die or in the spiritual realm. So, are you saying, if we disappear or vanish instantaneously from the spiritual realm our family then becomes unaware of our leaving? Or, did they never spend time with us?
*** I am having a hard time getting this one!

DirtCreature, how can you determine that if we leave for 80 years or how ever many years, our deceased family doesn't miss time with us?
Also, why would our family members/people be 'trapped' in one spiritual process watching us from heaven, while, we are going through journeys and life cycle/s and appearing every 80 years or so? Wouldn't the family members also have to journey and life cycle, then?
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
KikiGirl--Any discussion of the afterlife, is by its very nature quite speculative. Although I believe many things may be revealed to us "instantaneously" in the spirit realm, I am a firm believer that we will indeed continue to learn. I do not believe that all secrets are suddenly just given to us. Our spirit is in a continuous state of learning.

What I meant by the first question you asked me to elaborate on is that the spirit realm has no time. It simply doesn't exist. So, if part of our spiritual growth (thanks for this concept Randy) involves our spirit returning to Earth to live further physical lives, our leaving the spiritual home might seem instantaneous to those we leave behind. It's an intriguing conception and one that makes potential reincarnation seem less unpleasant if, like me, your not smitten with the idea.

To address your second question, what I wrote kind of lays it out. The fears we harbor in our physical form are almost certainly not things that will frighten us in the hereafter. With aspects of existence revealed to us in the spirit realm we are not privy to now, our very sensibility will be drawn from a wider palette. I have no guidebook to the afterlife KikiGirl, these are just ideas.
DirtCreature (guest)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
Oh yeah hope I didn't ignore your story Manafon xD

Your experience is awesome but I immediately got into the reincarnation stuff lol.

Yeah I have heard the opinion on the matter that even if reincarnated or going through a spiritual journey that isn't reincarnation, you're never actually away from the family... Like how you could be reincarnated and then return to them. But it could be a 100 years from last seeing them, as an example, but it would probably feel like a day.

Omg that reminds me of Dragon Ball Z, a great childhood show, where Goku had to train in another realm and time passed differently. It would feel like a couple of years there so he could train but when he cam home to his wife it was like only maybe a few days passed I believe. It's been a while since I watched the show but yeah xD
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
-2
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
Manafon1 - I wanted to say something on the following; "However, there will certainly be a lot of new things learned after "passing over". I guess this may raise more questions, but anyway. Education or information is attained in the spirit form instantaneously, I believe. So, I don't know if you would be necessarily, "learning" new things after passing into the spiritual realm. I think, the information is intuitively and immediately gained. Perhaps, this is because we are all spirits first, and humans after? Our most natural habitat and learning-centre is actually, in the spirit realm and as a spirit. I remember a phrase, I once heard - "We are not people having a spiritual experience, but, spirits having a human experience".

I could not understand two of your points, please elaborate? What did you mean?
1. With time thrown out the window, a theoretical return to bodily form could, by our understanding, seem instantaneous in the spirit realm.
2. However, there will certainly be a lot of new things learned after "passing over" and what frightens our human sensibility may not even be a consideration in the spirit.

DirtCreature, *lol yes! I guess, we are all interconnected on some cosmic level!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
DirtCreature--My personal belief is that you are never "away" from your family in the afterlife. With time thrown out the window, a theoretical return to bodily form could, by our understanding, seem instantaneous in the spirit realm.

From my perspective as a human being, I intensely dislike the possibility of leaving the spiritual realm when this life is over to return to bodily form to learn new "life lessons." However, there will certainly be a lot of new things learned after "passing over" and what frightens our human sensibility may not even be a consideration in the spirit.

My plan, in the here and now, is to stay put in the spiritual realm once I die but if any theoretical return to Earth could be achieved without it causing a discernible disruption to my "afterlife interests", I think I could keep an open mind. The thing to keep in mind is that there is a meaning behind what we go through. I also feel that whatever we do go through is something we decide upon. It will be interesting finding out one day.
😁
DirtCreature (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
[at] Kikigirl, hey we're all technically related right? 😆

50charactersthereyago
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
Actually, I've been thinking of a concept atm! What role does your ancestors play in the idea of reincarnation?

In other beliefs, you meet your loved ones on the other side and live in eternal joy and peace. However, if you are 'cycling' through different lives, how does it work? Do you acquire more and more ancestors? And, will/do you ever stop reincarnating? At this point, will you have accumulated several hundred ancestors through various life cycles or will you 'stay' with your last/final life and the heritage attached, thereto?

I have never had past life experiences or visions, but, I have had dreams which I believe is linked to my ancestors or heritage. If I take this into account and review it, I only have one heritage through my immediate parents. Whereas, Bokonon said that, as child he had visions and experiences concerning several life cycles in which he was varied races, religions, sexes, beliefs etc. How do his ancestors and heritage then work? Has he accumulated many ancestors?
DirtCreature (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
I personally have no problem with "learning" on the other side. I just don't want that to require being ripped away from my mother, my family, and my significant other. But some people believe your family is always "on the other side" when you are on your spiritual journey, yada yada. So if that's so and you're never truly away from your family, I could take it.:/
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
Tweed--Your examples of how people misinterpreted things you said and did, to provide evidence to reincarnation when you were a tyke, was fantastic! So often people will see what they want to see.

I have had a continuing conversation with Randy via email and it has been thoroughly fascinating. My mind remains open to all kinds of afterlife possibilities. I can definitely say that, from my present perspective as a soul surrounded by mortal flesh, I don't like the idea of reincarnation and, like you, I find it an easy excuse to cop out on achieving things through sweat and persistence in this life. Who knows what is revealed to us after death. Since there is no time on the other side, there could be a limitless number of possibilities as to what we can do and will want to do with whatever becomes known to us after shaking off the "dumb flesh."
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2017-02-27)
haha how did I know this discussion would still be taking place? I'm glad, it's great. 😊
I wanted to say more on the topic the other day but hadn't the time.

This is why reincarnation makes no sense to me.

1) It's depressing
To me it's the ultimate suicide, the 'second death'. I don't think people really think it through. Reincarnation sounds noble in the right context, but then so does investing in the Caymans.
I think it's relics from a heavily religious history, a symptom of emotional evolution through the ages. A bit like masturbation having been thought to cause insanity. See Caymans.

2) It's easily debunked.
When I was a kid my Mum, Aunty and their friends would say I played piano in a previous life and that's why I could play beyond my years. But from my perspective I saw the piano as a 'friend' in that I lived at the damn thing. From there it was monkey see, monkey do. I'd watch Dad and his muso mates work stuff out and knew that's how it got done. But my Mum and Aunty have little concept of discipline and I know this peppered their previous life theory.
Isn't it far more rewarding to attribute our abilities and understanding to this single identity. We sell ourselves ever so short with past life reasoning. This is what I mean by low self confidence being connected to a desire for reincarnation.

I have memories of another time and place in the first person perspective. But I have had equally powerful first person memories of things which happened while I was here. In this example it was with a co-worker. I 'experienced' her folding washing before she came to work. I recognised her jumper (sweater for Americans), asked her about it and we both freaked out lol. It happened again with a neighbour a few streets over. What I said before about memory being nonlinear, I meant literally. Time is just as illusory in this dimension, if we choose it to be, it's a matter of perspective.
I believe the memories I had of late Victorian era were impressions of a location which I received, like a 'medium'. A member here has written about this before, Trisk, she's experienced this type of thing a couple of times in her life, suggesting she received information about a location's past/present/future.

When I was a toddler I thought 'bangles', as in bracelets, could be used for currency because I used to hear a ghost sometimes, and he'd refer to money as 'bangle'. So I'd take some of Mum's bangles when we went to the Milk Bar lol. Turns out he was saying 'spangle', not bangle, it's a ye olde informal word for money.
Around the same age, as I was learning to talk, I would say 'skarsco, skarsco, mummum' it meant I wanted to be picked up, or I wanted to go somewhere. Mum put it down to another language spoken in another life. But I remember saying it and why. It's an attempt at saying 'casket' and 'number' mixed with 'mum'. Family ran a florist business, casket was said a lot, or flower casket at the florist. Then casket would also be used at the funeral parlours to mean 'coffin', where a lot of the flower caskets were delivered. I associated the word 'casket' to mean, go somewhere or pick something up, and 'mummum' was me trying to say 'casket number', thinking 'number' was another word for 'mum', because it was darn similar to a young confused me! Lol.
I was also 'born' with an English accent. More past life theories there from Mum and Aunty. My cousin was too and also my friend from school and her sister. All of us were raised by Poms (English people for Americans) and brought up with pommy TV shows. The accent was inevitable.

The same Aunty went on to have a son, she believes he's the incarnation of her mother in law. She projects her this onto her son, it's always concerned me and other family members. Her mother in law used to get up really early to put the heater on and then go back to bed. So the house would be toasty warm when it was time to get up. Right after she passed an 'unknown someone' started putting our heater on before we all woke up. Mum still has the heater turned on for her on some mornings. Regardless of this my Aunty still believes her boy, who's now 16, is her mother in law, she's now estranged from her son. Her beliefs are a big part of the reasons.

I guess what I'm saying here is belief in reincarnation has only caused pain in my world. It makes no sense to me.

To me the meaning of life is love, particularly love of the self. To me reincarnation goes against that.

Randy, a lot of what you say is much like what AussieDaz believes. He said to me once that I'd get bored being a ghost after a few millions years. I said 'never'. Time is a human concept, just like money, even the bloody Caymans. 😉 Only boring people get bored.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-26)
Myst

I agree with Manofan that I like your idea as to why some die young.

I've also heard that a person dying young may also be teaching the parent and or those around them things that they need on their spiritual paths. It can be devastating to lose a child.
I for one came way to close as one of my twin girls had leukemia
When she was 3. The treatment didn't end for 3 years.
I know without a doubt it effected me in ways that I carry today.

Thanks for your input
Randy
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-02-26)
Manafon1 and RANDYM, thank-you for delving further into the idea of reincarnation and the points that you've raised, all seemed to somehow, resonate 100% with my belief/s, even though these ideas are personal and through such a perspective.

I wanted to comment on the theory that RANDYM put forward which had to do with a spirit "choosing" a particular time at which he/she will return, and Manafon1 I believe this intertwines with your thinking that the world is a dilapidated, on-going catastrophe on many levels. I had an experience which clearly stayed with me for many years as a young child, but, I never discussed it with anyone until I was an adult. I will discuss the "debunking" of this experience, later on if you have questions after reading. I clearly remembered flying at lightning speed over an incredible distance, upon reaching a house, I clearly heard a ladies voice say, "this is a family, would you like to be part of this family?" I was then, planted invisible in my parents kitchen at about 07:00 AM and I could see my brothers playing and my Father came in shouting/joking and went around the table and put his arm around my Mother. I was completely invisible, no interaction took place between myself and the physical, and I intuitively understood this as my "predicament". I have to be honest that, at the time of agreeing that I liked this family, I had absolutely nothing to base it on except for my feelings and what I was witnessing;
I thought things like, "the boys are laughing, they look happy", "look how the Mom and Dad smile so kindly at their children" or "that boy is laughing, oh! The other one is pulling his shirt and tugging him about the table!"
But, for a start! Nothing like;
1. What does life entail? What will be expected of me?
2. What will my obstacles be in life?
3. Will work and income be a challenge-factor in my life?
4. How long will I be here for? Can I leave if I do not want to be here?
5. Will I suffer in life?

I admit, if something had happened like my Dad gripping one of the children and screaming at them, I would have been horrified and upset and most likely, said no. Later, I don't know whether it was weeks, months or years, I found myself flying through the sky again and as I got closer to the house again, the speed slowed down. I realized now that I was headed for earth either way, but, I could turn off my path to another house or family if I wanted to, but, without the previous-knowledge gained from watching the family.

I realize now that I am incredibly young and naive spirit with the experience/s to back about that much up. I don't know if it was because, I died young? Or... I honestly, don't know why my knowledge about everything is so minimal. I think, I waited thousands or millennium years to return to earth and I do feel that my reluctance played a role in this endeavour.

I have been hypnotized and could find no evidence of past life/s. The earliest memory, I have been able to "bring-through" was very recently, towards the end of last year and it is simply a desert-like earth (I don't see for very far, maybe 1m x 2m) and a huge rock hitting the earth. I did a "spell" to see my past life, and I saw what looked like a "wolf". I searched and searched the internet which said, it is incredibly unlikely to have been an animal in a past life.
Note: The spell, I discussed before, did have the words "oracle of the lunar light, show me now your second site" which I believe may have been some sort of... Spell to do more with wolves then past lives, but, the internet said it was a way to see your past life.

In conclusion, I do believe that the spiritual realm - The Ultimate Reality of the Spiritual Realm and Occupants are;
1. Responsible for overseeing the good of the world;
1.A. Therefor, it falls on a spirit as a responsibility and duty to return at some point. This may be to learn or to "take-in" the earth and its changes or for other reasons.
2. Are absolutely working in a hierarchy as described as God the Father, The Angels and Saints, Jesus et cetera (or religion/s and their Gods);
2.A. I do not have "how" this works. I do not have much information on this point - These answers, I believe, we will only attain in the spiritual realm. However, the ultimate reality of the spiritual realm and its occupants are not singular or individual, nor do they see or go about doing things this way. The connection and divine or "higher-consciousness" were responsible for the spring-of-life or primordial soup and all life on this planet. And, subsequently are responsible for the upkeep, deliverance and preservation thereafter.
2.B. For the factors as discussed in 2.A. I do believe, there is a realm where our loved ones exist. I also believe this because of my near death experience. Some spirits, if not many, will go to this place at the time of their death. Whether it is an interlude between coming back or a permanent thing, I cannot say.
2.C. God, The Angels and the "higher-consciousness" beings are not merciless or cruel. They will not send a soul back who has been through enough or who does not want to return to this land because they see and feel the explicit violence, degredation, poverty, hunger, illness et cetera. Why did I have to return? I am not sure what lesson I missed?...
But on the other hand, I don't believe that a person must be a "perfect" and "all-knowing" human being in order to go to the eternal spiritual realm of happiness (with our families in heaven).
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-26)
Hi Randy--I just sent you an email but I did want to tell you how much I have enjoyed your ideas on the subject of reincarnation. I just have the say that I feel (as I alluded to in my email to you) that I might just end up being a ghostly rebel and continue to grow spiritually as...well...a spirit! As I also wrote in my email to you, the idea of retuning over and over to a world sinking deeper and deeper in overpopulation, pollution, war and global warming hardly gets my spirit stoked. On a side note, it's funny that you used math as a metaphor for the knowledge we glean from each, theoretical, new life we are given. I have always been really bad at math. I have more than made up for my shortcomings with mathematics in other areas though! If I have to focus on one subject after death, I really would rather do that in the less polluted and crowded realm of the spiritual plain, as opposed to this out of control little world.

Myst--I really like the idea you put forward about why young people dying can be looked at as a completion of what they needed to do in human form. Very interesting conception.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-26)
Manofan

Thanks for offering up your thread so we can continue and give some other folks a place to join in.

I can understand your point of view, especially when it comes to the idea that we should become a better people.
But I think the whole reincarnation idea isn't built upon us becoming a better human race. Its meant to help us become better spirits.
As for saying "once is enough for me", I think a lot of us feel that way for now. But after we return to the spirit world from which we came our point of view may change. Once there for a while we may decide that we want to come back under a different set of circumstances to further our experiences, learning and overall growth. I believe for now, as we live this current human life we are only aware of our current existence because that it all we are meant to and capable of handling. Much like being in math class and only worrying about math. Not math, spelling, and geography. They are all part of our total education. But for that one hour we spend in math, math is where our focus is.

For me, I think I am going to have to come back a lot so I might as well get a reincarnation EZ Pass 😆

Your turn LOL
Randy
Myst (63 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-26)
Manafon and RandyM; During a discussion group I had attended, I was informed of something that makes the death of a young person easier for me to deal with. The belief was that young people can pass because they only needed a short stay to complete their incarnation work. I really like that point of view.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-26)
Hey RANDYM--I hope you have followed me to this account of mine to continue our reincarnation discussion.

You brought up some really interesting things in your last comment. You stated, "Have we had enough (life experiences) to say we know enough to move on? Or have you and I only had just a small sample of what it's like to really understand what being human is really about. Have you and I learned enough in this life to really grasp what is really important."

Of course you and I are still living our lives but I personally have to state that I do feel I have grasped, in this life (so far) what is really important. Not to be too maudlin (or hippyish) but love has taught and informed the human being I have become. The love of parents, friends, pets, of music, poetry, literature and topping the life cake, the ongoing adventure and love my wife and I share does suggest to me to me that I have been learning enough in this human life to grasp what is important. Love is an equation that seems to be at the very core of being human.

Buddhism (among other religions and philosophies) very well could be where the more recent ideas of reincarnation stem from. Now I am no pro on Buddhism but The Buddha, according to Buddhist teachings, lived inummerable lives and it's important to note that in Buddhist teaching, reincarnation is referred to as, "a cycle of suffering and rebirth". Since I have no desire, nor have I been told I'm the next Buddha, I can state one physical life is adequate, at least for this one guy.

And there is a point worth discussing. I personally haven't met too many guys or gals who could pass as Buddha-like in this rather sad world. With millions upon millions of theoretically reincarnated people out there, shouldn't we be noticing a decrease in violence, war and poverty (among other negatives) with all the folks slowly becoming more enlightened. Hey, who knows. I just wanted to throw out some ideas that came to my head. I also look forward to discussing this further via email.
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Manafon1,
No worries. Typo should have been my middle name:) I certainly like to believe my garden is enchanted.
Elrond
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
I meant to write Elrond and not Eleond. Sorry about that. Typos haunt me 😜.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Eleond--Thank you so much for your comment. I like the thought that toads and elemental spirits might have a rapport. It makes perfect sense. You describe perfectly (about your garden) that lovely surprise when you realize you have been silently joined by a toad companion.

It sounds like you have something of an enchanted garden and, yes, I do believe that elemental spirits could occasionally take an interest in a garden tended with such sincerity and love by the gardener. It would make sense too that there could be a symbiotic relationship between elementals and creatures that inhabit the garden, a forest and so on.

All I can say for sure is that those three toads appeared without fail for a long period of time and seemed, to my young mind, infused with magic. I hope you are blessed with another toad guardian next year! You have my mind wandering back to the woods around that house in South Carolina all those years ago...
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Manafon1,
I enjoyed reading your story. I am really intrigued about the 3 toads that would appear every night for a while. I dote on a small, almost hidden garden behind my home in the middle of a busy downtown. I have several times become aware of toads that seem to have an interest in the garden or perhaps even me. I have developed this sense that toads and elemental spirits seem to have a rapport of sorts. As my garden developed and I grew fonder of it, I began to notice what to me were unusual and unplanned enhancements such as plants blooming that I hadn't ever seen or planted and... Toads. Perhaps it was my imagination, but the toad or toads appeared to be trying to get my attention! One actually followed me to my car on the street and I almost stepped on him when I turned around. I carried him back to the garden and tried to make it clear that he should avoid the street. I obviously don't talk toad, but I did my best. He would appear almost every time I would work outside, by jumping in front of me or sitting patiently behind me, to be discovered when I turned around. I have to say I was really charmed. I have never seen more than one at a time, but it's possible there were multiple toads. I hope I have another toad companion next year because the garden thrives, under some trying conditions, when the toad guardian is present.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-01-02)
RANDYM--Thank you for sharing the incredibly moving experience of hearing what you believe was your Mother imparting some very tender things to you. I actually do know what you mean when you wrote the voice, "had a quality of sound above human." My Mom (my adoptive Mother and not my bio-Mom) came to me in a "visitation dream" a couple of years ago and that is how her voice struck me. Somehow beyond that of a mortal, flesh and blood human being. She also appeared as she was about the time of her death but sans the cancer that took her life. Rather as she would have been if she hadn't ever had it. She was vivid, in full, brilliant color and I could sense her touch when she hugged me and I could feel her as one feels a human in waking life. In other words it was nothing like a common dream but was "beyond". I remember this visitation like a visit from a living loved one in my house.

When I awoke the emotion was such that it took me several moments to realize I was back on this plain of existence. I was sorry to hear you weren't able to meet your Mother but I suppose you actually now have... And will see her one day, down the line, face to face.

Fergie--Thank you for your very nice words.

Tweed--I really like your idea that the door opening was a "symbolic arrival." That makes a lot is sense, especially with the events that followed. I particularly dug the idea that it was potentially the poltergeist energy I was possibly generating that opened the door for my toad chums. I know my kid self wanted to invite them in... And actually that seems oddly logical to me. I never put the proverbial two and two together. Thanks for that!

My brother said the breathing sound lasted for around fifteen minutes.

Thank you everybody for your thought provoking and fascinating feedback 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-01-02)
Manafon, I love your narratives.
I don't have any insights or answers to your questions. However, I do concur with the fact that paranormal activity usually happens when we are in a relaxed state.
I have often wondered if there were any paranormal happenings in our household before it was an empty nest, but we were just too busy to notice.

Keep 'em coming Manafon, and thank you for sharing.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-02)
Hey Manafon,

Your front door moment I can relate to, only heard it but never seen it actually happen, that would've been something else! I suppose the front door was kind of a symbolic gesture, almost as if to announce someone, or something, had 'arrived'. This would tie in with the drawer a week later. The glass sliding door, if it's possible to pin a motive on poltergeists, maybe this was to let the toads in.😆 Bless them!

The breathing your brother heard is very interesting. The way it took up the house reminds me of the voice my husband hears sometimes. I've only heard this voice from a distance but it was much louder than it should be. No clue why or how that happens, but I can imagine this phenomenon sounding the same, or similar, volume over a vast space, like a house.
Do you know how long he heard the breathing?

Great to read part two of this!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: