You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Her Bloody Handprint

Real Ghost Stories

Her Bloody Handprint

 

This happened in 2007. My friend (I'll be calling her Maya) and I were going to Maya's village for some religious ceremony (this story is from India, so I would like to clear up a few things for the international readers: in India, almost everyone has their roots in some sort of village which they visit from time to time. People from these villages (some people, not all) are quite superstitious and still believe in things like curses and stuff). This ceremony required the participation of three children (I don't really believe in these ceremonies and curses, but I went along with it). Maya, her cousin (JD) who lived in the village and I were participating in the ceremony. When we reached Maya's village on April 22nd, the pandit (a.k.a priest) explained to us the reason for being brought there. He told us a local story of a witch. He told us that a witch lived in their village 80 years ago. This witch was a very prestigious woman and was respected by everyone. She was young, in her early twenties at the time, but she never seemed to age. She helped the people of her village by using some magic to make their crops flourish. But after a while the children of the villagers started to mysteriously die due to some disease. Of course when people didn't find a explanation, they blamed the witch. So the witch was tied and beat up by the villagers and finally killed by burning her alive. So since then annually and unexpectedly, there was a month of weird sightings and horror. Bad things happened and the witch was sighted in the village at the times. People died, crops failed and people claimed to see the witch who scared them to death. The villagers called this time "Kale Jadu ka mahina" (Month Of Black Magic). People held ceremonies every year during this time as they believed it would lessen "the evil". And that was what we were there for. The priest explained our roles we had to play in the ceremony. Mostly it was praying and making holy gestures etc.

The ceremony was on the following day on April 23rd. We were staying in Maya's uncle and aunt who were newlyweds at the time. We were told to go to bed early as the ceremony started early in the morning. We obeyed and went to bed.

Maya and I shared a room that night. Her cousin was in the adjoining room. Maya's parents and Uncle and aunt were on the first floor. That night, around 1 o' clock, we heard knocking on the front door. Maya's uncle went to check it out but found nobody outside. He bolted the door and told us to not open the doors or windows in any case. After a while the knock started again. They came in trios, KNOCK...KNOCK...KNOCK and stop; KNOCK...KNOCK...KNOCK and stop. These weren't regular knocks either it was like someone was pounding on the door with their full hand. After an hour or so we heard pounding along with kicking on the front door. Everybody told us to sleep and ignore the knocking saying it was the evil witch and that she was just playing tricks on us. They told us that this happened in a lot of houses during the black magic month. But they sorta made things worse for us. We couldn't sleep. Around sunrise, the pounding stopped. Silence filled the area. As soon as we were sure it was alright to come out, we went outside.

And there they were. All over the metal door - dents made by some kind of skinny hand - and the dents were so deep that no ordinary person could make them. And there were so many of them. There were even skinny footprints on the door - probably made by kicking. But that wasn't as scary as what was inside the dents. The dents - all of them - were bloody. It was like the "person" who made those dents had bloody hands. It terrified us. The priest insisted that we go through the ceremony anyway. The ceremony was what every evil vanquishing ceremony is like (chanting and stuff). But all along I was thinking about those bloody hand prints. Maya's parents insisted on taking us home right away after the ceremony and just like that we were on the ride back home.

But that visit left me with a lot of questions. Who did that? Was it a prank? If it was, then who could be sick enough to do something like that? Was it the witch? I never got to know. Savannah told me that no incidents had occurred after the ceremony and people thanked us for being a part of it. But I've always wished that I could go back and see what happened there. But I never got the chance.

So I guess that's it guys. Thanks for reading. I know it was quite long (sorry). I look forward to your views on the story. Maybe you can help me with some of my questions.

AUSTRIA.

Other hauntings by AUSTRIA

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AUSTRIA, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-02)
Dear AugustaM,

Thank you so much for reading! And thank you for your comment! I've heard about stories about phantom blood and stuff too which even leads me to believe that the print could have a supernatural source.

Love
AUSTRIA ❤
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-02)
Dear lady-glow and AFieryCupcake,

I am not trying to defend the actions of the villagers at all, in fact, it really disgusts me. However after 90 years it is obvious that people would not be the same (now times have changed and people are more educated!) and judging their children or grandchildren for what happened is kind of wrong too. What happened to me a whole 90 years after what they did scares me and the fact that I witnessed it makes it even worse (in comparison to a 90 year old story).

As for your question about the blood, I'm sure that the print was actually covered in blood, but whether it was human or not, I can't say (after seeing blood, I didn't really stick around to test it or anything 😆). The fact that it was blood was scary enough for me as a child.

Thank you again for asking!
AUSTRIA ❤
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-02)
Dear Bliss006

Actually while writing the story I was trying to come up with a fictional name for my friend, and I initially chose Savannah and later changed it to Maya. I must've missed this one and forgot to change it. (Sorry!)
Thank you so much for pointing this out so that I could clarify it.

Love,
AUSTRIA
Bliss006 (6 stories) (49 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-22)
...Savannah told me that no incidents had occurred after the ceremony and people thanked us for being a part of it... I am sorry maybe I missed something, but who is Savannah.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-07)
I am usually fairly quick to jump on the fence with the skeptics but, I must admit, I have actually seen a lot of stories and legends involving paranormal experiences and blood - from weeping statues, to crucifixes that 'bleed', to phantom blood stains, walls that seep blood, etc... Most of the legends involving phantom blood also involve a fairly gruesome death and, I dare say, the death of the woman in question certainly qualifies. And they come from cultures all over the world. I can't personally speak to the truth of any of them but the notion is fairly prevalent making the author's claims seem possible.
AFieryCupcake (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-03)
This sounds like a prank more than anything. Despite villagers believing she was a witch etc, not many entities I've ever heard of have had the ability to damage a door like you described in your story. The major of entities, as Randy mentioned, struggle with energy, or more ghosts would be able to prove their existence far more often. I can't say I've ever heard of a ghost bleeding either.

This definitely sounds like a prank as someone knew you were participating in the ceremony the following morning. How would you be able to tell if it was human blood also? It could of been animal blood, or even someone that cleverly diluted red paint. Did you ever take the matter further, despite it being years ago? As if it was indeed human blood, that's troubling.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2017-01-02)
"... If that was a prank, someone would have to be really sick to actally do that."

Well, the townspeople from 90 years ago were sick enough as to burn a person alive, weren't they?

It's possible that some people benefit from the celebration of the "Black Magic month" and have learned to feed the fear and guilt of the rest of the people by playing pranks on them around those times.

Perhaps the door was covered in blood but, are you sure it was HUMAN blood? Would it be possible that whoever was Knocking on the door was prepared with the blood of an animal to add credibility to the "haunting"?
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-02)
Randy,

The stories that we were told about what happens during the "Black Magic month" did lead us to believe that things could be moved or damaged by this entity. However, it could very well have been a prank.
Yes the door did have prints on it and they were covered in real blood. If that was a prank, someone would have to be really sick to actally do that.
Thanks for reading. ❤

AUSTRIA
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-02)
Dear lady-glow,

Thank you for reading. And to answer your question, I don't mean that there haven't been any incidents since 2007, but only during that particular year. I have mentioned in the first paragraph that this ceremony was held every year to "lessen the evil". I haven't been to or asked about this place since that incident so I cannot be sure if the ceremony had permanent effect, but I doubt it.

Also,I completely agree with you on the point of the villagers burning that woman alive without proper insight into the deaths. It is certainly a very horrific thing to do to someone, especially without actually proving their guilt.

Thank you for your question ❤. I hope I have clarified your query.

AUSTRIA
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-01-01)
It would seem that if there were any "prints" they would have to have been made by a human.
Just think of how much a spirit has to go through just to move an empty glass. Hard to imagine how they could make all of those prints in a metal door. Are you sure they were prints? Normally metal doesn't bend in a way that would leave a print. Also since you said there was blood that makes me doubt an entity even more. Never known of an entity to bleed. They simply do not have blood vessels full of blood.
Sounds much more like pranksters using the situation to play a joke on the participants of the ceremony.

Thanks for sharing
Randy
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2017-01-01)
"... Savannah told me that no incidents had occurred after the ceremony and people thanked us for being a part of it. But I've always wished that I could go back and see what happened there. But I never got the chance."

Do you mean there have not been any more "black magic month" since the year 2007?
If so, what made the ceremonies of this particular year specially effective to end the curse?

Just my opinion but, if these events really happened, the inhabitants of that village got only what they deserved for being ungrateful and for taking "justice" in their own hands and blaming the woman for the deaths of those children and not investigating if something else was the cause, like an illness due to unsanitary practices in the village, malnutrition, etc.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: