You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Feeling "pressed Down" In My Bed While Sleeping

Real Ghost Stories

Feeling "pressed Down" In My Bed While Sleeping

 

I am a healthy adult male, and I do not suffer from any medical maladies such as Bi-Polar Depression or related Anxieties. I have never been on medication, nor I have I ever been prescribed to be on any medication for these symptoms.

I can remember (3) times in my life where this event happened. All were in Connecticut, they were at different stages of my life, and occurred at different addresses. They were local, only miles apart. I never knew what to think about them. However, I was flipping channels on TV one night, and I came across a documentary that was going to discuss unexplained "Sleep Phenomena". I was curious so I watched the program. The doctor went on to explain that "most people will experience this phenomena at least twice in their life time". He went on to say that there was still no explanation as to what causes it. Some have said that it may be some temporary form of alien abduction. While I do not dismiss the presence of other life in our universe, I have developed my own hypothesis based on my personal experience. Also, none of the experiences had anything to do with sexual or perverse acts. It was more like passive momentary control. But, for what reason?

The program immediately caught my attention, as the Doctor of this study, was going to discuss a sleep study that he had conducted related to the very same events that had happened to me over the years. The feeling of awakening during the night unable to move or speak with the feeling of being "pressed" or "pinned down" into the bed. Naturally, I was glued to the TV.

My first occurrence happened in the late 1980's in a cottage that I was renting in Brookfield, CT. I was in my late 20's and I was awakened in the middle of the night. I had a digital clock/radio on my dresser which allowed the room to be slightly illuminated by its green digital face. I could see clearly, and nothing unusual was visible to my eyes. I was laying on my back with my arms to my sides. I could not move, and I could not speak. I do remember having a sense of concern, even a little fear. I tried to talk, but I may have only been able to produce a groan.

I can only guess how long the episode occurred, but my best guess is that it was less than one minute. I fell back to sleep. When I awoke at sun up, I was completely aware of the bizarre event. It was only a couple of hours earlier that it happened. I did not know what to make of it. I was absolutely certain that it was not a dream. That was experience #1.

The next occurrence happened at another location in New Milford, CT. It was 1996, and I was 36 years old. This time I was sleeping on my stomach. It was summer time, and it gets light out at 4:30am. This is about the time the event occurred. I once again was awakened from a sound sleep. The feeling, again, was of being pushed downward into the bed. I was in the middle of perhaps my last dream before I awoke. Between the dream, being awoken, and the feeling of being pressed downward... I was obviously confused. I believe the event lasted about 30 seconds and then ended. I had clear memory of it, and was left with the question of "what was that"? I said nothing to anyone during the day, but it reminded me of what I had experienced back in the late 1980"s in Brookfield, CT. Were the events related? I again was absolutely certain that it was not a strange dream. That was now experience #2.

The last, and most recent event happened in the Fall of 2013. It was Halloween weekend. The episode occurred in New Milford, CT at the residence of longtime family friends. They lived in an upscale lake community as the owner was a retired Chiropractor. They asked if I could stay at their home for 3 nights to feed their cat, and pass out candy for the kids in the neighborhood while they spent Halloween in Virginia enjoying the weekend with their young grandson. I agreed.

On Halloween night at about 10:00 pm, I brought the candy in, turned off the lights, and went to bed. At 1:00 am I was awakened by the sound of a chainsaw. I always know what time it is because I wear my watch 24/7. It sounded like the bedroom window was open. I remember waking up angry. Who could be operating a chainsaw in that neighborhood at 1:00am in the morning? This time, unique to the other two prior experiences, was an unusual disturbance in the hallway outside my bedroom. I can only explain my feeling as being in some sort of "aura".

The owners of the home installed a "cat door" next to the front door of the house. A neighbors cat would sometimes enter through it, and wander the house. I did not like the "cat door" at all.

Sometimes the family cat would climb up my bed, and sleep next to me for awhile then leave to her own bed. Still, there was a strange disturbance heading towards my room. Within a moment, an animal jumped on my bed. I thought it might be the cat, but it was not. Sitting now on my bed was a little dog. It was a beagle. The real problem was the family did not own a beagle? The beagle was translucent in appearance, and began barking at the hallway. Feeling that someone was heading towards me, I screamed "who the f_ _k is there"?!

The dog now disappeared, I was laying on my back, and tried to get up to head toward whatever was heading towards me. But, I became immobilized. I was feeling "pressed down" into the bed again. I began to wrestle with the weight on top of me, and told it to "get the f_ _k off me! I was able to free my left arm, and push the weight off me. At that moment, the entity presented itself to me. From under the covers, the face of a Jack-O-Lantern came right into my face. It looked just like the one's that we all have carved except it was angry. The mouth moved, and rather than having triangle pumpkin teeth, the teeth were sharp, and jagged like a shark. The entity roared at me. It was frightening. I screamed "who the f_ _k are you?!" It then disappeared as quickly as it appeared. The event was over. I believe that by fighting it, I pissed it off. What did it want with me? Perhaps, it did not fully get what it wanted or needed from me that night. I angered it. Experience #3.

I have never tried to explain these stories to anyone for obvious reasons. Why do they happen to some people, and not others. Were any of these events alien abductions? I have heard from other documentaries that spirits, that have not crossed over, are attracted to life. They linger, and hide among us. They have been caught on film since the beginning of the invention of the camera. What better night to hide among parents, and children then on Halloween.

So, what do I think the spirits want from the living, and why do some come so close to us? Well, I believe that they crave our "energy" or in other words our "life force". I feel that we are their battery chargers. And, the closer they can get to us without us knowing, the more their batteries get charged. Some spirits can show themselves in color, while most others are translucent. I have reason to believe that the spirits who can be seen in color are more powerful, or have managed to draw more energy from the living than the other spirits by getting closer to us. You cannot get much closer than being "pinned down" in your bed. The stronger, "more energized' spirits have the strength to move things. Like removing a night light from the wall, and placing it on the dresser.

This is the first that I have spoken or written about these experiences. Feel free to let me know if any of you have ever experienced anything similar. It would make me feel better to know.

Other hauntings by mikepapp

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mikepapp, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ceekat (3 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-06)
I've had multiple episodes of sleep paralysis starting in my early teens. I've never experienced anything close to what you did in the 3rd episode, that sounds terrifying! I have felt as if I'm being held down and I have seen dark figures in the room with me when it happens but I think that's typical SP stuff. I'm just dumbfounded by your last experience as it sounds like much more than SP to me. Are vivid hallucinations a part of SP in anyone else's experience?
Arabella (4 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-31)
Yes, the third episode was pretty wild. I believe that there are spirits around us and that we're in their dimension when we're in sleep paralysis, which I think is related to out-of-body travel. My feeling is that it's a stage where we aren't fully out of or in our bodies.

I think the entities we might encounter are people who haven't crossed over for one reason or another, and probably non-human entities as well. A lot of them aren't the kind of entities you really want to interact with. A shaman explained to me that the ones we're likely to encounter are earthbound because they have issues or agendas, which is why they're lingering or "stuck."

Thanks for your great posts. They were a real treat to read.
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-30)
Hi Arabella,

Thanks for your insights on SP. It was explained to me, in detail, by others on this web-site. Now I understand it all much better.

However, while my first two incidents fall into the category of classic SP, the third one was very much different? It had a little more going on than the first two? So, on goes mystery. There was a definite element of the paranormal.

I guess we will never really know. Thanks again, Mike
Arabella (4 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-30)
Hi Mike -- I've had many sleep paralysis incidents, mostly as a young adult. I know quite a few other people who've experienced them too, and I think there's quite a variety from one person to another and one incident to another.

I'm going to write about my experiences in another post but one thing I want to say about mine was that, despite having my eyes closed and sometimes having my back to the room or being face-down in the pillow, I could see in any direction and have verified things that I saw that I had no way of knowing about. This is just to say that I do believe there's a paranormal element to sleep paralysis, in which we're not fully seated in our bodies.

So many mysteries!

Arabella
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-26)
Hi Wish-not,
Thanks for clearing that up for me. That makes more sense. Mike
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-26)
Umm Mike, that's the one Mazz is commenting on. Your first one, not your "WOW" second one.
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-26)
Hi Mazzmarach,

To answer your question, I wrote my first article called Feeling "Pressed Down" In My Bed While Sleeping. It is available to read along with the others on this web-site. I chronicled 3 events over the years that happened to me. It was clearly explained to me in the comment section, that I was experiencing Sleep Paralysis.

I now I fully understand what is happening should it ever happen again. However, the events that took place during the article you read had nothing to do with paralysis or any feeling of immobilization. I was up walking, and completely cognizant of my surroundings.

I understand that it is all hard to believe. I have said that I would find it hard to believe even with my newly expanded open mind. I do not have any more experiences like this to share. One in a lifetime should be enough. However, as a result, I do have full faith in the afterlife with no questions asked.

To answer your question about disrupted breathing, In my 3 SP events, I have never experienced a disruption of air to my lungs.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Mike
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-26)
Ahoy Mike,

I believe everyone here's beaten me to it, but I'll say it anyway: this sounds like sleep paralysis. It's perfectly normal, and there's science behind it, too. I must admit that your last experience would've scared the crap out of me, but I think it was more benign than malignant. Hopefully, now that you know about this, you're less frightened and more inconvenienced by it.

A more personal question: Is the lack of breath common among you folks who've had sleep paralysis? That was the one consistently frightening part of my bouts back in my college years.

Smooth sailing,
Mazz
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-26)
Hi BeagleMom,

Yep, you sound just like my family. When my sister buries her animals she provides them with their own funeral service thanking them for their love, etc. Not a dry eye in the house. Thanks again, Mike
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-26)
Hi Red,

I just wanted to thank you for your comment, and story. I am sure you are really looking forward to those pups. Good luck, and thanks again. Mike
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-26)
mike,
You nearly had me in tears also. I lost 3 dogs in '15 16. First was Jethro, then D, then Zim. As I was holding onto Zim I realized that it was the day after the first anniversary of Jethro dying. I am an avid animal lover and they seek me out. When I go to my vet I have to pet every dog there because they strain to get to me. My favorite was the English Bulldog "swimming" on the tile floor to try to get my attention.

There is a silver lining though. Kaia my female Malamute is pregnant and due to deliver 6-8 pups shortly. I can feel the spirits of my grandfather and my father in-law waiting for this event. I don't know why they don't just show themselves to me since I know they are here but I did catch a quick look at each of them this time and caught them by surprise. My father in-law got back at me by giving me a swat in the butt earlier tonight.

Red
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-26)
Hi Mike!

Please do not worry. I didn't notice that my name was not on your response to lady-glow and Randy! As I read it, I knew it was meant for me.

Artie sounds like just my sort of Beagle! I did have one sort of amazing Beagle tale. Our dear Barkley was also taken by cancer. He was as trusty and steadfast as a Beagle could be. My Hubby dug his grave out by the Hollyhock fence where Barkley rested on warm days. (Watching for lizards as they ran up and down the split rails). If an archaeologist ever dug him up in years hence, he would know a tribe of "Beagle Worshipers" buried him. He was lovingly sewn into his hand crocheted blanket with his toys and armloads of roses strewn over his body. Along the fence rails we nailed his oversized dog bone shaped name tag, so we would never forget his resting place. The very next day, we found a dead mouse. (lovingly licked to death no doubt by our younger Beagle, Penelope), placed squarely on his fresh grave! Thereafter "Penny" took to laying at that very spot.

Heavens! I will be Howling in a minute! I need to tell you good luck and thank you again for your tale!


Mother of Beagles
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Hi RandyM,

It probably will happen again, but it is not so scary once you fully understand what is going on. Thanks for helping me understand. Mike
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Mikepapp

You are more than welcome

I just noticed what I forgot to tell you in my explanation is that in normal waking the paralysis part wears off before your conscious mind
Wakes up. Thus is the order it should be.
In SP, your mind wakes up before the other has worn off. That is why
You can be awake but unable to move. If it happens again try and relax.
Fighting it does no good. I know that can be hard but it really does help to break the hold.
I hope you don't have it again and feel sorry for those who do because it is not fun.
Best of luck to you

Randy
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Hi Myst,

Thank you for your comment. I really did not mean to write a sad story. But, I guess it has moved some people accidentally. Thanks again, Mike
Myst (63 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Mikepapp: Next time, please issue a tissue alert for those of us prone to leaking eyes! Nothing more to add on SP, but thank you for your well written story.
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Hello RCRuskin,

I'm sorry. I did not mean for my story about little, old Artie to be a sad one. But, if you love animals, I guess it can seem pretty sad.

Who didn't cry when "Old Yeller" died. Or, when the deer had to be put down in the movie "The Yearling"? I cried my eyes out. Thanks for your response, and try to think happy thoughts. Mike
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Hi Randy,

Thanks for your explanation regarding my sleep experiences or as I now will to refer to as SP. Your explanation makes all the sense in the world.

LadyGlow, and BeagleMom were curious about the ghost dog during the event, and offered their thoughts. I accidentally forgot to include BeagleMom in my reply, and addressed you instead. I just wanted to thank you directly for your response which was not related to the dog. Thanks again.

Mike
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Dammit, Mr. Papp, why did you have to go chopping onions! Not sure whether to cheer or cry for your story of the family beagle. But you sure sound like a guy dogs would protect.
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Hi BeagleMom,

Just wanted to thank you for your comment. I responded, but forgot to include your name. Ladyglow also asked about a beagle in the family, and I accidentally over looked you. My response was intended to answer your question as well.

Thank you for your kind comments,

Mike
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Hello lady-glow, and Randy,
It is interesting that you asked about anyone owning a beagle in our family. My sister, and her husband owned two. However, there was one in particular that was special to all of us. He was an old dog that came barking at 1:00am in the morning outside of the front door. I was living with my sister at the time, and I was the one awakened by the barking. I went down to wake my brother-in-law up, and asked him if all the dogs were in the house? I explained that there looks to be beagle barking to come in. It was winter time, and it was cold out.

We turned on the front lights, and sure enough it was an old, dirty, little, beagle mix. He had a collar on, but he looked as if he had been on his own for awhile. My brother-in-law opened the screen door, and welcomed the dog in to the front porch. He fixed the dog some food, and a bowl of water. He also made a bed with warm blankets.

We left the screen door open in case it wanted to leave during the night. When morning came, the little beagle was still on the front porch. We are all animal lovers in my family, so we decided to take the dog to an animal shelter down the road just in case the owner might be looking for it. We visited the dog everyday for a week. The little guy was in a usual outside cage next to other stray dogs. He got so happy to see us that we all got very attached to it.

After one week, the canine officer contacted my brother-in-law, and explained that no one had the claimed the animal. She said that because of his advanced age, they would have to euthanize it. Well, my sister, and brother-in-law jumped in the car, and brought the dog home.

The last couple of years of its life were no doubt his best. The dog was hysterical with personality. What joy he brought to all of us. He eventually went blind, but that only meant we spoiled him more. He was eventually taken by cancer, and buried in the back yard. We named him Artie. He was the star of the show! We will never forget the impression that the little, old, dirty, lost, mixed breed Beagle left on us.

So maybe he still visits us? It's nice to think that he does...

Thank you for your comments, and kind words.
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Hi Mike,

What an interesting read! I, fortunately, have never experienced SP, but since I am the resident Beagle Mom, I had to comment.

I am quite interested in animal ghosts, and to have yours be my favorite breed was just great! Sorry I do not mean to make light of your sighting. I agree with lady-glow that your Beagle may be the spirit of a beloved pet making his rounds, so to speak, after his life ended. I am glad it was the least frightening of your experiences!

Thank you so much for your account. You do have a lovely writing style.

Thank You Again


Mother of Beagles
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+7
7 years ago (2017-01-24)
Mikepapp,

Welcome to YGS and thank you for sharing.

As Lady-glow stated what you have described is sleep paralysis.
During REM sleep your brain releases a chemical that puts you in a state
Of paralysis. It is pretty much the same thing a surgeon gives when performing surgery so you don't move on the table and thus them injure you.

I have it at least 3 - 6 times a year. This is what I can tell you.
Until you know what it is it can be the most frightening thing you can encounter. The first time it happened to me I didn't know what it was and was convinced I was dying. I saw dark beings moving about just on the edge of my vision. It took a couple of minutes to break but it finally released its hold. After it happened I did some research and found out what it was and it became less scary the next time and time after that. I have since learned to relax when it happens and starting by moving a finger at a time I am able to break out of it.

Let me share this with you.
I have found that what is known about it seems to be true in that
1: You can't move anything but your eyes
2: I was 100 percent convinced that some type of entity was in the room with me.
3: It can seem that someone is on top of your chest holding you down.

I truly believe that the "entities" we encounter during sleep para.
Are a product of our mind.
Don't forget that our minds and brain are extremely powerful in convincing us of things that may not be real at all. Its hard not to believe what we "think" we see.

As a side note I'm not trying to say that entities don't exist and we imagine them all because I know for a fact they do and there is an afterlife. But I also know how convincing sleep paralysis can seem because it has happened to me so many times.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope this helps some

Randy
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+7
7 years ago (2017-01-24)
Mikepapp: welcome to YGS.
Your experiences fits perfectly into the description of sleep paralysis, a stage during our sleep in which movement of the body stops in order to avoid 'acting' our dreams and, sometimes, a person experiences hallucinations.

It is believed that during an episode of SP a person is open to contact with spirits.

Do you know if your friends used to have a dog? If so, it is possible that he is still in their house following the same routine than when he was still alive.
The jack-o'-lantern could had been a subconscious reaction to the day and to the fact that you were staying in an unfamiliar place.

If in doubt, it is always convenient to keep a journal of these events and see if they follow a similar pattern.

I love your writing style.
Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: