You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lady In Black At The End Of My Bed

Real Ghost Stories

Lady In Black At The End Of My Bed

 

For years I have tried to explain this event. At the time it couldn't have seemed more real.

It was 2007. I was living in a townhouse in Newcastle not far from a steep cliff by the sea, which has been known to claim a number of people's lives over the years.

I went to bed at around 11PM and I was woken up after around 30 minutes when I heard some distinct noises in my bedroom that I still remember vividly to this day. I could clearly hear footsteps on the carpet walking around my room close to my bed, and occasionally noises that sounded like clothes dropping on my floor a number of times. It was as if someone was picking up shirts off my bedroom floor and dropping them back down onto the carpet. I was awake during numerous noises I heard in what seemed like a period of two minutes. At the time the most I reacted to this was to slightly open my eyes for a moment, I was not alarmed. Even though I was certain that somebody was in my room I had reasoned with myself in a sleepy state that my flatmate must have come in briefly to look around for something. With this in mind I thought nothing of it and casually went back to sleep, even though that in itself would have been very unusual behaviour from him.

Not long after I went back to sleep I awoke again to the same noises... There were more footsteps on the carpet walking around my bed and the sound of clothes being dropped on the floor again. Then I heard a louder noise which suddenly raised my awareness. There was small plastic wrapper on the floor at the end of my bed which I had previously not noticed. It was likely a thin transparent seal from a cigarette packet, and I heard the crunching noise of someone standing on it. In an otherwise silent room, this noise was quite loud. My eyes suddenly opened wide. I was now wide awake and quickly rethought the situation.

Someone was in my room, I was certain of that.

Then it suddenly dawned on me. There was no way my flatmate or anyone else I know would be walking around my room in the dark while I was sleeping.

I had a rush of adrenalin and my heart started pounding out of control. I felt paralyzed with fear but I had to confront who was there. After a moment of hesitation I sat up very fast and faced towards the end of my bed where the sound came from. Quickly enough to startle anyone who would have been there.

Then I saw a lady with long blonde / grey hair who appeared to be in her late 50s. She was standing sideways near the end of my bed wearing a black dress. I could see her silhouette against the white wall behind her and there was enough moonlight illuminating the room to make out her facial features. I stared directly at her eyes for a few seconds and was thoroughly haunted by her expressionless face staring right back at me over her left shoulder. She had frozen still where she stood on the plastic wrapper. After a few moments I said "Hey!" with a sense of fear, struggling a bit to get the word out. She continued to stare at me blank faced and wide eyed without flinching, which made my skin crawl more by the second. I was terrified. The second time I shouted "HEEEY!" and almost immediately leapt out of my bed to try to grab her. I was overwhelmed by fear and the fight or flight response kicked in, except I had nowhere to run. In the process of rapidly hurling myself out of my bed towards her I must have closed my eyes for a fraction of a second because my arms went right through where she was standing just a moment before. She had vanished. I turned on the bedroom light and stood with my back against the wall for a good 10 minutes trying to comprehend what I had just experienced.

The story continues...

The following night one of flatmates reported seeing an unexplained person in the dark walking past the bathroom door behind him in the mirror while he was shaving, and this was before he knew about my experience from the night before.

On the third night, at the very moment I was told in person of his experience in the same house and made the connection of the two events, the bathroom door immediately slammed shut upstairs. This is where the second separate sighting had taken place the night before. At the time there was no one upstairs, it was pitch black, and it couldn't have been the wind that slammed the door.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, plume, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

PBnJilly (18 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2020-11-27)
Hey there!

We're a brother/sister team of creators of a small, brand-new YouTube channel called "The Dark End of the Street." We do true crime stories mostly, but with sprinklings of the occult, paranormal and various other horror experiences, so long as they're true. We also read creepy/scary stories, and are hoping to eventually have them submitted directly to us. Since we're so new and unknown though, we need content to post and somewhere to start!

We've just read your post entitled "Lady In Black At The End Of My Bed" and greatly enjoyed its entertainment value. (Though we're definitely glad you're safe and made it out of the situation unharmed!) We're messaging to ask your permission to use your story in one of our upcoming YT posts.

May we have your permission to narrate your "Lady In Black At The End Of My Bed" story, as well as any other Your Ghost Stories posts that you've authored, in a future YouTube video (s)?

Thank you so much for your time!

Jill and Ronnie
Fenrispro (58 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2020-10-25)
Nooo why would u want to grab the entity? Facepalm, its best to just cover yourself pray and pretend its not there
plume (1 stories) (2 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2020-10-23)
Hi Salix, no it wasn't the Gap. That place has quite a reputation though. Newcastle is a big town / small city of its own a few hours north of Sydney with some cliffy parts along the coast that are maybe 10-15 storeys high.

You may be right, it could have simply been a spooky message to clean my room! All I can say is the experience was profoundly real, from the multiple sounds I heard a number of minutes before the sighting (when I suspected nothing unusual) to the unforgettable chilling look on her blank face staring right back at me when I confronted her.

I can add one more thing... My flatmate who saw the ghost on the second night had apparently had seen a particular ghost before as a child on a regular basis. Bear in mind that he saw something in the same part of the house the night after my experience, before he even knew of my experience... When he reported that he saw a dark figure go past the door in the mirror while he was shaving he was then told of my experience and replied "Oh no not again!". He went on to explain that as a child he would sleep in his father's room and they would regularly have a ghost visitor, an old lady from what I recall, and she would stand at the end of their bed. He mentioned that she made regular appearances so often that they gave her a name. As far as I know this occurred until his father passed away a few years later.

I've heard a few accounts of ghosts standing at the end of people's beds over the years or even sitting on the end of their bed. It seems to be a common location for these 'visitations' or whatever you might call them.

To reiterate, there we 2 individual sightings of a figure in black two nights in a row in the same part of the house and neither of us knew of each other's experiences until later. The very moment this connection was made and we spoke about it out loud in the house on the third night, the bathroom door violently slammed shut upstairs in the dark and there was no one up there. The door that slammed shut was the bathroom where my flatmate saw the dark figure walk past the door in the mirror, which was only a few steps away from my room.
SalixArbuscula (7 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-22)
Hello, plume.

This is certainly a striking experience. You did not mention any activity before or after these few happenings; are you sure you don't recall any, either in your flat or in your area/neighborhood? And is there any more to what you learned about the 'suicide cliff'? I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gap_ (Sydney) but nothing else. Is this it, or was there something more local?

It seems odd (in my admittedly limited experience) to have such an acute manifestation with so few precursors or 'aftershocks', as it were. I don't mean to sound doubtful. It just strikes me as peculiar and I wonder if it is because you (and therefore we) don't have the full story.

It's awful that you were frightened but I actually found myself having a bit of a giggle over this- an older, unsmiling woman in black shuffling through your clothes and trash put me in the mind of a disgruntled housekeeper or motherly sort making known her displeasure at your "typical messy guy's room". Did you keep it any cleaner afterwards?
plume (1 stories) (2 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2020-10-21)
Hey guys I'm new to this site.

I wanted to share my story somewhere after all these years and decided not to engage any further because there's really not much more to say after I laid it all out in detail, but I'm happy to answer any questions. It must be frustrating when people wish not to engage so my apologies.

There were no other sightings after that.

I can't recall much detail of her dress sorry.

The townhouse wasn't that old... Probably constructed in the 60-70s.

Yes Maria, there actually were clothes on my floor. Typical messy guy's room I suppose... And I didn't actually notice the plastic wrapper until I turned the light on after the event happened.

I had only been at the house for around 6 months but my flatmates had been there for few years and said they experienced nothing like that before.

I can't comment about the proximity to the water, but I was later told there had been a number of suicides over the years from a high cliff close to where I lived at the time.

I'll check in later to answer any further questions.
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2020-10-16)
What is the genunine point in not replying?
What is the point in sharing if you don't want to reply to questions?
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+9
3 years ago (2020-10-16)
Great. Another one.

I have to admit that reading the author's expectations isn't the first thing I do - even though I should; because knowing that they will not say anything back to me will add an important dimension to their story. Plus, I feel like an idiot who is asking questions to an actual brick wall.

I just can't understand doing these two things at the same time:

Taking time to write and not wanting to talk about your experience with people who you will never run into. It's almost like they are using us to get anonymous feedback on their writing skills.

- Maria
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-16)
lady-glow - I've noticed that you're around less often. I understand that - every now and then I disappear as well! I hope you're safe and happy.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-16)
Melda.

Yikes...I have been away from the site or, better said, visiting irregularly, that I forgot to check the OP's expectations!

Let's hope that they change their mind and answer our questions.

...in my opinion, this story is lacking a conclusion.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-16)
Lealeigh and lady-glow - Did you notice that plume has chosen not to participate in the discussion? I hope he/she reconsiders.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-16)
And then...what?

Hi plume.

Welcome to YGS.
Did you and/or your flatmate see the woman again? Were there any other disturbances?
Was her clothing dated or contemporary?

Given the history of the place, this woman could be an earthbound spirit or a previous resident of the place that, perhaps just like you, was surprised to see some one invading her space.

Are you aware of any female relative, either yours or your flatmate's, passing away around that time?

I enjoyed reading your story and am curious to know if you experienced ay other unexplained event at that place.

Thanks for sharing.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-15)
Hello plume and welcome to YGS,

A long time ago, on one of those television shows about haunted places, someone was trying to understand why their brand new home was haunted. Apart from the fact that their particular activity might have been tied to the land that was there before the house, it was also suggested to them that the large lake very near to their house was attracting the activity.

It was a really long time ago that I saw this show; but I think the idea is that bodies of water share some spiritual properties with mirrors - and mirrors can be gateways.

My point is that some people believe large bodies of water, such as the Pacific Ocean near the townhouse in Newcastle, could be an ingredient in paranormal activity. I don't know if I am completely "sold" on this idea; but it is interesting.

I have two questions:

1. Do you know how old the house was?

2. After the lady was gone, did you notice if there was clothing all over the floor - or the cellophane wrapper?

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: