You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Disturbed While Sleeping

Real Ghost Stories

Disturbed While Sleeping

 

A few weeks ago I had gone to sleep with my led light on a bright setting. My mom decided that they were too bright and came in my room and changed them without me waking up. I usually sleep with my covers on top of me since I feel uneasy at the closet in my room. I opened my eyes to something laying on top of my stomach.

Confused I sat up but nothing was there, everything was the same except for my led lights which were dimmed. I checked the time and it was around 11:30pm. I went back to sleep in a daze and confused. When I woke up the next morning, I asked my mom if she had come in my room. To my confusion, she said all she had done was changed my light color. Since my dad wasn't awake yet I waited downstairs. When he finally woke, I asked him the same thing. He said that he hadn't even come near my room.

After that I was absolutely confused. My parents just laughed my panic off and still do whenever I bring it up. I get a feeling of being watched from my closet whenever I have the cover over my head. When I sit up I still feel a sense of being watched but not as much as before. Whenever I'm doing anything in my room, I have a feeling to look over my shoulder at my closet.

The more I think about it, I think I might be over thinking although I know what I felt that night. Even now my parents think I'm just playing around when I say that I feel uncomfortable in my own room so I've come here for help. Would burning sage help or is this a bigger situation than just burn sage and you're good?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SpookyTrinidy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

SpookyTrinidy (1 stories) (2 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-15)
I would say it was old hag syndrome if it weren't for the fact that it was the front of somebody laying on me. I didn't see anything odd and I was fully awake. My mother says she will be ordering sage because of other odd things that have happened such as knocking on the walls at 12:00am and off vibes.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-10)
SalixArbuscula,

I agree with you also. I like your suggestion of "Old Hag Syndrome" or Sleep Paralysis. It seems likely that the OP might have experienced this, as she was going in and out of sleep. When I experience Sleep Paralysis, it always happens after I have awoken during the night and when I have a light on in the room.

Also, I read your profile. I always do that when I see a good comment from a name I don't recognize.
SalixArbuscula (7 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-10)
Hi, SpookyTrinidy,

I agree with previous comments that say your closet is probably fine. Anything dark or hidden like closets or under the bed, especially in shadow at night, draw the eye and the thoughts and keep them there. Personally, I can't leave windows uncovered when it's night. I find myself staring at them, waiting, expecting something to stare back (nothing ever has, but I still draw the curtains). Giving the closet a good cleaning/airing and covering it at night are great suggestions.

As for the 'something' on your stomach, which seems like the trigger for much increased anxiety, have you ever heard of night hag/old hag syndrome? A little googling should suffice to explain it, if you haven't. It's nothing to be afraid of. Your description reminded me of it, especially a mild occurrence for someone who has never experienced it before. It could very easily have been caused by a disturbance in your sleep, such as your mom coming into your room and changing the lighting, even if this didn't wake you fully.

This being said, if you feel moved to protect yourself in some fashion, then absolutely do so. You are the only one who can know if you feel safe or threatened. Say a little prayer, burn some sage if you like, but be careful what you open yourself up to as you explore this. Make sure any supernatural solutions are well-vetted and won't draw on or attract energies you didn't plan on.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-08)
I suggest following others' advice. But also, as someone who felt creeped out by their own closet when younger - Leave it open during the day, close it before bed. If it doesn't have a door or cover, try hanging a blanket over it. The shadows can mess with our minds, but so can mildew. So air out your things until you need a break from the visual noise. Oh, and get some fresh air and sunlight into your room if you can.
Caz (342 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-31)
Hi Spooky,
You've already had some very good advice from the other posters, so I've nothing much to add to that. However, what I do want to warn you about, is the use of LED lighting. It's extremely bad for your eyesight and can destroy the retinas. I know how difficult it can be to find much else these days, so please use it sparingly and as dim as possible. When I want to read my book in bed at night, my good old fashioned torch does the job admirably! 😊
Oh...There is something else that could help if you're ever afraid. It's easy to do and doesn't take long.
Whenever I feel scared, I put up a psychic shield. I close my eyes and imagine I'm standing inside a large bubble, which is filled with bright light. The light can be white or blue, or even a mixture of both, making it bluish white. I 'see' this in my minds eye and at this point, I like to say a short prayer (to whoever), asking to 'please keep me safe from all negative entities and energies'! When I've finished my prayer, I open my eyes... Knowing my shield will remain. Hope this helps and best wishes to you and your family!
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-31)
I cannot add much more than what Lealeigh or Alina have posted. My only question would be if it was possible that you were until in a dream state. I have had many experiences where I felt a presence in my room before feeling my mattress go down as if a weight was being placed on it. It was a very scary experience. I do not rule out that it may have been me still being in a dream state. I will say that I never had the courage to look at whatever was on my bed like you.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-31)
Hello SpookyTrinidy,

Teenagers and poltergeist activities do have almost a common occurrence together. I don't why but it's being an obvious cliché. Probably the explanation stated by Maria is the one to describe this.

If you do feel an eerie presence of the closet, it is better to get rid of it or in any condition performing a cleansing before any entity manifests itself out of it. Leaving it in the way it is can result in worse consequences at least considering a teenager to go through this.

Talk to your parents properly with much solemnity in your face to convince them to move it. If they disagree I'm afraid you have to take care of it yourself. Please try the recommended Rookdygin's ritual it certainly is very effective. Always remember you have to be courageous in any matter.

You are free to ask any doubts, questions or help on this site. We'll try our best for a solution.

Peace
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-05-30)
That's good to hear. I'm glad you guys are a peaceful family!

There are many people who say that teenagers put off a lot of energy just by growing up. The things that you sense in your surroundings may be a product of this. I don't think burning sage will hurt anything if you want to create a more pleasant atmosphere in your home.

If it seems like your feelings become worse, you could also try a home cleansing method that many members of this site have used (including myself). It was developed by rookdygin, who has been a member of this site since 2008, and it will not interfere with any religious beliefs that you might have:

Https://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155

His cleansing method is about halfway down his profile page that I gave the link to.
SpookyTrinidy (1 stories) (2 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-30)
Our house isn't that old seeing it was made in 2006. There's not much history that I could find on it though. Nobody argues in our house except playful bantering.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-30)
Hello SpookyTrinidy and welcome to YGS,

I don't believe there is anything that is specifically in your closet. I believe that you are picking up on a presence or energy and, in fear, you rest your eyes on a source.

People have survived from our hunter/gatherer days by being aware of the shadows and it is ingrained in us - because, in the old days, our enemies and predators watched us from the dark. It is like the way that we will look at patterns in the wallpaper and see faces in the patterns. Those instincts are with us for our protection.

I do think you are sensing something. Do you know how old your house is? Or any history of your nearby surroundings? Does anyone argue or fight in your house?

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: