You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: I Think My Cat Still Visits Me

Real Ghost Stories

I Think My Cat Still Visits Me

 

A few days from the day I'm writing this (February 25th) marks the one year anniversary of the passing my beloved Bermin cat, Petra. Petra was homeless and wondering a busy highway when my mom and I saw her and took her home; I was seventeen or eighteen at the time. For six years, I had this beautiful cat and absolutely loved her, but, in January of last year, she started to get sick. By the end, she couldn't even stand (despite being on various medications her vet thought would help her recover) and on February twenty-fifth we lost her.

Around this time, none of my family could walk past the bar stool she liked to nap on, because we all swore we still saw her there; all of us mistaking it for grief, but now I'm not sure. For almost a year now, I still see the same shade of greyish-cream fur against the black leather occasionally when I walk past, and almost always brush it off as still missing her. But, tonight, as I was walking back to my bedroom after my shower to get ready for bed, I saw the same greyish-cream color out of the corner of my eye as I passed the black, leather computer chair in the second floor lounge area. I thought I saw the color wrong and reached out to pet my still-living cat, Stark (Who is a brown Tabby) but came in contact with nothing.

I used the light on my phone, assuming I'd just reached into the wrong spot, but found the chair empty. I've started to think that maybe Petra still likes to check up on her family, knowing we all still feel guilty that we couldn't do anything else to save her (even though we've all tried to find solace in the fact that we saved her from certain death all of those years ago and gave her a good life for those six years) and wants us to know that she's alright. I want to know, do animals still look after their loved ones even after they pass?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kentucky_believer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-24)
I've commented before in another story that years after my tortoiseshell cat, Fruitcake went to another home, I was sure I heard her "meow" and thought I saw her head, ears pricked, peeping round the corner. I hadn't thought about her for ages and by that time I had already moved to a new address, so it was quite unexpected. Whatever the reason, it's nice to think that our furkids look in on us now and again.
DestinyGirl (5 stories) (13 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
Many years ago (nearly 15) we had to put down our 20 year old cat due to kidney failure. To this day sometimes I feel like I can hear her very distinct meow at times. I think it is totally possible for a beloved pet to stick around.
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-16)
Ah... Problem solved lol
Thank you again for sharing! Cheers!

E.Lynx
kentucky_believer (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
RANDYM I'm sorry about your dog, it really is awful to know you have limited time. Roylynx, I actually meant she passed away on the 25th, though re-reading the story, I realized it looked as if I were saying I wrote the story on the 25th.
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
I have to ask, did you travel from time? Why does it say 2017/02/20 and you are writing this story on the 25th? Hmm...

Very warm hearted story though, yes, our best partners does come back even when they passed away. As some may say, they have strong bound with us because we are their only friends around to take care of them, unlike us we can make new friends and buy food when needed, they cannot do all that and they need to rely on us. They need our love after all.

Please say a prayer for your partner, remember it sometime and smile for it.

Blessing from São Paulo
E.Lynx
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
Ky-believer

I know how much pets can mean.

We have a little chihuahua / terrier mix.
Her name is Tinker but I call her Doodle or Mutt Thing
She just turned 9 and we kept all 3 of her puppies she had several years ago.
I love that little dog as much as life itself.

Just found out this weekend she has a bad heart murmurer.
I was devastated. Although I figured she would live into her
Teen years as many little mutt dogs do the vet was saying she
May only have 6 months depending on how she responds to her meds.
I have cried many times the last 3 days and am doing so now as I can't imagine her
Not being at my feet or looking at me with her shaggy messy hair
And terrible under bite. I used to think my Mother was crazy the way she acted over her poodle dogs but I totally understand now.
There is nothing I wouldn't do for my little Doodle.

Randy
kentucky_believer (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
CCKitty I'm sorry about your Beany. It's hard to lose an animal who has become such an important part of your life, and twenty years is a long time to have one in your family and lose them. RANDYM I truly hope you're right, because we loved her, dearly.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
Petra,

Hello from a fellow Kentuckian

Let me say this
I believe that a person can come back and visit places that they remember that made them happy in life. To follow the same line of thought would mean that Petra was very happy living with you and being your friend and pet. So I would take that as a sign of her love for you. Our bodies may die but love never does. So her love for you is still there as she shows you where she wants to be. Close to you.

Thanks for sharing
Randy
CCKitty (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
Kentucky-believer: You did a great thing to give little Petra a good life and a loving family. I have tears in my eyes typing this. I don't know if she still visits you or not, but your story is a good story of love and kindness. I had a kitty named Beany for 20 years. We had to have her put down in Jan. Of 1990. I still miss her terribly to this day. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: