You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Visit From Two Legs

Real Ghost Stories

A Visit From Two Legs

 

Around the year of 2010 a friend of mine called me asking if I would be interested in house sitting, and watching his two cats as well, for about a month as he was going into the hospital for medical treatments. I accepted immediately. When I first entered his place I felt a heaviness but kept that silent. He gave me a tour of the place. I refused the basement and his bedroom. Both had a horrible sense to me.

After he left I proceeded to work on a list of things I wanted to help him out with in his home. Later on I worked on settling a bit in the spare room he had for me to stay in. One day as I was organizing some of my things in the spare room both the cats came bolting in by me and hid under the bed. I knew they got wound up but that was fear. So I looked up towards the living room where they had ran from and there walking across the floor in the sun's rays from the window, was a pair of man's legs. Just the legs. They had mechanics pants on, plus old boots. They walked slowly towards the front door. I didn't leave the room for a while. Now I'm not afraid of Ghosts/Spirits but this one had a very uneasy feel to him. I'm guessing this may be what I sensed from the start.

After my friend returned from the hospital we sat and chatted about what happened. Which brought up the basement and his bedroom. He himself was very hesitant to go into the basement. As for his room, he indicated that when he moved in there were strange writings all over his walls. Which he painted over. I sure wish he'd taken pictures.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RavenRain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (238 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-05)
Hello RavenRain, thanks for sharing your interesting account. I've long been a proponent for believing that yes a ghost can not appear fully if they have not harnessed enough energy from the environment around them, either from other people or the immediate area, such as the cold spots people feel in the air or flickering electricity. Usually in cases like that, though they appear as a shadow or quite transparent, not just half of a person or like an arm or hand or something. The legs you saw, did they appear quite solid or were they transparent/see through?

My feeling though about this, is that the manifestation was more deliberate. By that I mean, just as ghosts sometimes cannot fully manifest due to a lack of energy, they can also choose to appear in a way they want to. The ghost that haunted my family home, could be seen quite clearly, people who saw her could describe the color and style of her dress, and the pin she wore, narrowing down a time period, but no one could see her face, even in the light of day. There was just a dark spot where her face should be. One of the psychics who investigated, told me she did not want her face to be seen, and that's why she appeared that way. If that's true, it would be just like when a robber shows up at a bank or house wearing a ski mask. It's as simple as they don't want to be identified. In my family's case, we never did find out who she was, record searches indicated the house had been rented out several times, but most of the women researched as having lived there, all moved out and lived on, dying in other places mostly of natural causes.

From your story, especially the uneasy feelings in areas of the house, the cats reactions and even the mysterious writings your friend discovered, sort of point to a ghost/spirit with a darker intent than merely wanting attention. I believe he/it appeared to you purposely as just a pair of legs, not because it didn't have enough energy to manifest, but so you not only wouldn't be able to identify him and also to elicit the very response you had, that ill at ease feeling. Some ghosts seem to purposely try to scare people, they seem to live off that fear, and it actually seems to fuel them, giving them more energy to manifest a haunting. There are many stories on this site that seem to support this.

By all means research should be done, but you may not find out much as this entity doesn't seem to want to be discovered. Depending on the circumstances of how it came to be there, that information may not be that visible. Some owners try to cover things up if it's not to their benefit. Not necessarily your friend but prior tenants/owners. I hope you can find something that would reveal some information behind your experience.

The only other thing I can offer about this, and I'm not sure if you will find it helpful, is that in my family's haunting, psychics believed that she went insane, and harmed her family. The research didn't turn up anything having taken place there, but it was curious we found it had only a few owners, a few wealthy men who owned this house in a small town. If indeed he rented to a family and someone went crazy and there was murder and insanity involved, it could have been quite the scandal and easily covered up in that era. Something like that could hurt a man's reputation as well as hurt any future profit he could make from his investment. Since my family owned it from the mid 1940's onto almost the turn of the last century, whatever happened took place in a time where that sort of thing would be easy to cover up. Now I can't prove it, despite all the investigating I did and the people I involved. I bring it up because it seems relevant, something about your story reminds me of it all and is tickling the back of my mind. Perhaps whoever it is you saw, maybe they went crazy in that house, the writings on the wall, the fact your friend said they made no sense, could be the ravings of a lunatic. Whether he hurt someone else or killed himself, I don't know, or what else he may have been involved in. Depending on the time period it happened in, it could have been embarrassing and something that could have been hidden away in history. Nowadays that stuff is too hard to cover up, but in earlier times, way too easy, especially in small towns and rural areas.

Anyways I've rambled on long enough, I'm not sure if it helps at all, I sort of follow my intuition on these things, but it does make me think. Good Luck!
RavenRain (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-05)
Hi Limey. I agree woth you regarding half Spirits not uncommon. I have seen many proven documentaries where half Spirits have appeared. Be it top half as you mentioned, lower or even a foot, head, hands, it is a bizzare sight. I'm not aware if my friend reserched the history. Yes, he did invite a Medium. I'm the Medium. But I think this site indicated that Mediums/Psychics need to post elsewhere. Being new here I'm trying to learn the rules and respect them. Theres more to this story and my experiences but I wasn't quite clear as to where I could post as a Medium if you will.
Hes never seen the legs no. He has only sensed a negative being in his home.
I agree with you as well regarding the basement. Thank you.
RavenRain (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-05)
Rachel9997. I do feel the same in regards to a low energy being unable to manifest. My friend did not go into detail regarding the writing. He just indicated it made no sense. Thank you.
RavenRain (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-05)
Hi lady-glow. It was a bit unnerving yes. I'm used to seeing Spirits from time to time but there's something a bit morbid if you will about seeing parts of a body. I think you're correct though regarding the inability to manifest as a whole due to low energy. Thank you.
RavenRain (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-05)
Hi Rajine. Thats what I told him as well. He should check the history. I'm not sure if hes done so. As for the writing, he didn't go into details but indicated there was no sense in it.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-02)
Hi RavenRain

I think your friend should investigate the history of the house, I'm sure your friend will be able to get answers, as for the writing on the walls, was it legible?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-01)
Welcome to YGS.

That sure was an unnerving sight to witness.

I agree with the previous posters about looking into the history of the house, perhaps knowing the identity of this person could help understanding the reasons that have prevented him for crossing over.

I'm not sure if a spirit's "age" prevents them from manifesting into a full form, or if they choose how to show themselves. It has been suggested in many previous stories that when this happens it's because the spirit lacks enough energy to take a full form.

Whatever the case, it sounds like something not nice to see.

Thanks for sharing.
Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-01)
The legs may be a newer spirit that doesn't yet have the capability of taking full form.

I agree with Limey that looking at the house's history may be helpful. Does your friend remember what the writings said?
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-02-01)
Hi RavenRain: I have so many questions. But first an observation; the appearance of half a person during hauntings is not uncommon. But why? What does it signify? (A relative of mine has witnessed the top half of a person going up a stairway). But some questions; has your friend looked into the history of the house? Has he had a medium or a psychic visit the house? Has he spoken about the house to his neighbours? How long has he lived there? Has he seen the legs?
The most chilling part of your story to me is the fact that he feels uneasy in his own basement. That's a bad sign.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: