You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: An Overnight Guest

Real Ghost Stories

An Overnight Guest

 

My older brother Earl (not his real name) joined the Air force right after he graduated high school in 1970. He had been in service for about a year, so this would have happened in late '71 or early 72.

I was lying in bed late one night when I heard the stair door open and someone coming up the staircase. I then heard footfalls cross the room, the light came on and I heard someone sit down on my brother Earl's old bed. I slept in the far right hand corner and his bed was right next to mine. I was lying facing the wall, I didn't bother turning over, I just assumed it was Earl coming in on leave.

I spoke and said, "is that you Earl" and a low, deep voice said "Yeah" I notice it didn't sound like Earl but I knew too that he had a habit of picking up the accents of whomever he happened to be buddying with. I then asked if he was doing alright and the same low voice said "yeah". I then said, "Well I'm tired and it sounds like you are too, so I'll talk to you in the morning O.K..." I got an O.K. back. All this time I had my back turned facing the wall, I don't know why I didn't turn and talk to him face to face.

About this time the light went out and I heard him lay down. That particular bed made a certain noise when you laid down on it. I said "good night" but got no answer and soon fell asleep.

Well, when I got up the next morning I noticed that Earl wasn't in his bed and the bed was made up. I thought nothing of it, just chalked it up to military training. I went downstairs and looked around but I didn't see Earl anywhere. I asked Mom where Earl was and she replied "How would I know?" I said "Well he came in last night" and she said "No, he didn't..." I said "But, I talked to him" and Mom said "I don't know who you talked to but it wasn't Earl because no one came in last night".

Mom and Dad assured me that I must have been dreaming. I agreed but I knew better. I talked to someone that night.

Was I dreaming?, I could have been but I don't think so. Could it have been my imagination? Could have been, but I think if it had been, with the imagination I had at that age that I would have scared the crap out of myself.

The only thing that gave me the creeps and still does is this: If I wasn't dreaming, or imagining things, If I had turned over to talk to my "brother" who or what would I have seen?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FRAWIN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sejadasgirl (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
I have had nights where I'm half asleep and I think I ear somone talking to me, ill start talking back and my husband will roll over and ask me who am I takllking to. Ill tell him that I thought it was him and he;llbe like no I was asleep. Sometimes ill also be laying in bed and as soon as I turn off the light ill see a shadow comming close to me and when I turn the lights on it won't be there. So anyways I can definitly feel you on that one.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
Well I guess you could be right. There were changes in both our lives at that time. I was just getting ready to graduate high school and he was sent to Vietnam and Thailand a short time later.

FRAWIN 😊
racemustang (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
My partner, one early morning, about ten years ago, woke up in the early morning hours. It is our tradition to sing in the sun, so it was not unusual for us to get up before he began his assent into the sky. She had the entrance watch the night before and was sleeping on a roll in front of the entrance. When she woke, she rolled to her stomach and reached out with both hands to touch the feet of someone standing in the doorway. As she lay there prostrate, I distinctly heard someone say "You think you are dreaming, don't you?" When she lifted her head to look at the person talking to her, she also looked to the right like there were two people. She must have smiled, or shown some sort of recognition, as then I heard two males laughing a joyous sound of reaffirmation. As that of the Prodigal Son coming home. She jumped up (we were much younger then) and reached out in what looked like a hug. But to only one of the men. The other she just looked toward. When we are woken up from a life sleep by a spirit, it is for a message of great import. They understand the need of physical rest. When they wake you, it is as if we shout. To come before the morning sun is supposed to mean a change is on the way. It is possible that this spirit that spoke with you was there to point to the change. With you assuming that this was your brother, perhaps there was a change in his life at that time.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
As you say the sound of footsteps at night was a common sound in our house at night. I didn't get scared until the next day when I REALIZED that what I thought had happened didn't. It was then that I had to rationalize it away as a dream or realize that maybe I had talked to a spirit.I'm still not 100% sure what happened but I'm leaning toward talking to a spirit. Thank you for your comments, they are always welcome.

FRAWIN 😊
racemustang (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Where I grew up, there was always the sound of people coming and going at night. Even when we knew that everyone was present and accounted for, someone would be walking about in the home. As most of us were sleeping in our rolls on the floor, it would have been difficult for someone to get in or out of the dwelling without someone getting stepped on in the sneak. The voices of our ancestors can be heard in our sleep. Many of them have similar sounding voices with their live counterparts, as they have borrowed our time to communicate with us.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hi Harperllen82. It would be hard to say if this being was a permanent fixture or was just passing through. We were forever hearing footfalls coming up the staircase, cross the floor and the sound of someone sitting down on a bed.{Before it's said that you can't hear someone sit on a bed, I would like to point out that we didn't have box springs but the old fashioned metal springs}.This could have the same presence that I wrote about in The Unseen Visitor or it could have been a dream or my imagination. All I know for sure is -I'm glad I didn't turn over.

FRAWIN 😊
Harperllen82 (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Wow Frawin. I too wonder what you would have seen if you had rolled over. That gives me chills to think about. I always enjoy your stories. Did you ever have any other experiences with this unknown visitor in that house? I suppose it could have been your imagination or a dream but I get the impression you are quite proned to paranormal activity so I believe it was definatley something "other worldly". Either way I enjoyed reading it.
~allison~
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-19)
Hi Silverwolf. Yeah it could have been. No I never have talked to him about it, we have kind of drifted apart from each other. We are complete opposites in our idealogy and find it difficult to talk to each other on these matters.I'm the "what if" and he's the "what is"-we just don't jive. 😊

FRAWIN
SilverWolf77 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-19)
I agree that it might have been your brother reaching out to you. Perhaps he dreamed he was in the room talking with you. Have you ever asked him?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
No CenterCore I didn`t think you were being rude or offensive. You have every right to voice your opinion and to be skeptical, that`s what we are here for.
Am I sure this was paranormal? With 100 percent certainity - no. Could there be other explainations? Most certainly. As far as it be crooks breaking in, I DOUBT it. Why would a crook break in, go to bed, get up early next morning, make up the bed and leave without taking anything? That doesn`t sound plausible. Thank you for your comment, I appreciate them all.

FRAWIN 😊
CenterCore (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Hope that didn't sound rude or offensive, I'm not one to judge, but there could be a good explanation for what you heard. I'm just warning you, be more aware of what's going on around you. Good luck.
- CORE
CenterCore (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
So, you're sure this was a SUPERNATURAL experience? What if that was some crook breaking in? Not to sound juvenile but I have a bit of skepticism regarding the plausibility of this event... I mean who am I to judge, I'm sure you're not faking it, but I'm just sharing my feelings on it. Don't mind me.
- CORE
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-22)
I would like to wish all my friends at YGS a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years. Furthermore to my friends that don`t celebrate Christmas my very best wishes in however you choose to celebrate the winter holidays. As Tiny Tim said : God Bless Us Everyone.

❀ FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
Hello mustang, My brother was away in the Air Force. I think what Darkangel meant was that it wasn`t my brother, that it could have been a lonely spirit passing through, wanting to spend the night. At least that`s what I thought he meant.

❀ FRAWIN ❀
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
Hey Essie, You know, what you said about the voice sounding different because it had to travel a long ways too, makes a whole lot of sense. I had never thought of it that way but that could be the reason for it. That just goes to show that you don`t have to be old with a gray streak in your hair to have a good head on your shoulders. Thanks Essie.

❀ FRAWIN 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
πŸ˜• FRAWIN? You didn't say that your brother was dead. Just away in the Airforce I thought!? So if he wasn't/isn't dead, than how could he have been a 'lonely ghost' like Darkangel101 said? ~Shelby ❀
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
Hey Darkangel, Yeah I`ve thought about that too that maybe he was just a stray passing through. If he was I hope that he picked up some good "feelings" to take with him on his journeys. I`m glad too that he turned the light off when he went to bed. 😜 God Bless

FRAWIN ❀
Darkangel101 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
Maybe your "brother" was a lonely ghost looking for loved one memories. In other words hes just jealous! πŸ˜•
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
Maybe it WAS your brother. I sometimes go visit my mom when I'm sad and missing her. I don't go away often, but when I do, she calls me a lot just to see if I'm ok cause she saw me in the house when I wasn't home yet. Maybe the deep voice was him trying to talk to you but it was messed up cause it had to travel to.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
Hello again FRAWIN. 😊 I guess that was kind of stupid for me to say because YES, Astral Projection and OBE are the same thing. Sorry! I am looking up Astral Projection/OBE to see if in that state you could turn on a light and/or communicate. Talk to you soon. ❀Shelby
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
Hello Mustang, I think you are probably right, I just assumed it was him because he was the most likly candidate. At that time we had two separate upstairs, the girls side and the boys side, each with their own doors. You couldn`t go from one side to the other from the top floor, only the bottom.
I guess it could have been astral projection on his part, I don`t know. Can you talk to someone when they are in their astral body? Can a person in their astral body turn on a light? Is astral projection and OBEs the same thing? Anybody feel free to chime in πŸ˜• 😊.

FRAWIN ❀
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
Hi FRAWIN! I am almost glad that you didn't turn over to talk to your 'brother', who knows what you would have seen! Although, if it were me, I would definitely have turned over to talk to him or see what it was that came in the room. I'm too curious to not know for sure who or what I may or may not be talking to. I think that the only reason you didn't turn over is because you truly thought it was your brother. Thank goodness for that, right!? I also think that it is possible that your brother could of had an OBE. What about Astral Projection? Thanks for sharing your experience. ~Shelby ❀ 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
Hello Chris, Yes there will be a "Prudential Part II" it`s just I`m still trying to research some of the history of the area and trying to refresh my "memory" by talking to others in my family about some of the incidents that happened, after all it`s been right at fifty years since I lived there. I hope to have it ready by the first of the year and then I will tell you all about Abigail, the little girl spirit that I live with now. As I am writing this she is playing with my hair trying to get my attention. Take care and God Bless.

FRAWIN ❀
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
Hey Frawin is your next story going to be about Prodential Hollow? I keep thinking about that place and those stories you wrote about the hauntings there. I don't want to be pushy but I just can't wait! I hope to hear fromyou soon and take care 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
Hi Frawin. That was freaky. I actually happy you didn't turn over in bed. Who knows who you might have seen. I loved reading your story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Hi Ohiowatha, I`m glad you liked it. What`s Earl up to now? Well he`s married with two grown kids and a couple of grandkids, so I guess he`s doing what grandpas do - spoiling the grandkids and sending them home. I don`t really know what he was doing that exact night, he was either stationed in California or Thailand one. By the time he did come home the incident was all but forgotten. At seventeen my mind was occupied with whether or not my hillbilly butt was going to wind up going to Vietnam. 😨

FRAWIN ❀
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
super cool and creepy to the max, frawin! Thanks much! Very ominous... What's earl up to today? What was he doing that EXACT night, do you know?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Hi Shane, welcome back, I`ve missed your insight this last little while. Yes I have thought about an OBE on my brother`s part but to tellyou the truth I don`t know that much about them. Can you see them? Can you talk to them ? Can you touch them ? As that robot on the movie Short Circuits says INPUT!INPUT!INPUT! πŸ˜•

FRAWIN
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Could have been your brother having an Out of Body Experience or OBE. Maybe he was a little home sick and really did wander home for a few minutes. Things that make you go HMMM. 😁

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Hi FRAWIN! Thanks for responding to my comments and questions, you sure were quick about it! Thanks for the info on the history of the house, and yourself ;) - you've done some digging! Did you have other experiences at that young age, with your first set of parents? Do tell! I'm looking forward to more from you, I always enjoy your stories and the accompanying humor. I've never doubted your accounts of the experiences you've had, I believe in you. 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: