You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: He Watched Me In My Sleep... Or Did He?

Real Ghost Stories

He Watched Me In My Sleep... Or Did He?

 

This event was my first paranormal experience that had ever happened to me. Even though I was only six years old, I can still vividly remember this moment in my life.

Alright, so I am in my bed and I am on the brink of falling asleep, Literally. Normally, no one would be aware of being on the brink of falling asleep, because they would just fall asleep and lose memory. This was not the case for me, though.

I was awoken by the small "click" of my door opening, giving me the ability to remember the fact that I was about to fall asleep (this is important). I immediately looked up, expecting to see one of my parents. I didn't. Instead, I saw something sinister and shocking.

There, at my doorway, was a black, human-like figure. It was extremely tall, unlike my parents. So tall that its head brushed up on top of the doorway (the doorway is around seven feet tall)! Also, the light illuminating from the hallway was absorbed, into the creature. What I mean by that is the light on the hallway didn't shed any light on the thing. It was pitch black.

As soon as I looked up to look at the thing, it stepped back and slammed the door shut. I didn't hesitate to get up and go after it. Want to know why? I knew this wasn't normal. I knew something was off. How did I know this? Well, when I witnessed the thing slamming the door (you could tell that the thing had pulled on the door with speed and force), it didn't make a single noise like a usual door slam would have (by the way, what I had witnessed was only a second long, so this happened very quickly).

So curious me got out of bed and ran out of my room to look around. There was nothing. The strange thing was the the fact that you can't disappear that quickly from my two-story house. It would take you about five seconds to run down the stairs, it would take about two seconds to run into the playroom (which had no places to hide), and it would take about three seconds to enter a different room and open the door quietly.

I was out of my room in about one second. I looked down the stairs first and then the playroom. When I had first came out of my room, I heard no movement from nearby doors. The entity had vanished into thin air. There was no other explanation.

I looked around in confusion for a second more, and then I took my arm and pinched it, hard. It hurt! I wasn't dreaming. It wasn't a hallucination; I KNOW it wasn't. What had happened was real. At first, I didn't really think about it. I just shrugged it off and went to bed.

The next morning, I had forgotten about what had happened (lol)! But now, I wonder if it was good, or bad. Why was it there in the first place? What did it want with me?

Usually, when someone is visited by an evil spirit, they feel nothing but negative feelings, like dread. They may even go into sleep paralysis. But I felt nothing but curiosity when I saw the entity. But to me, it still doesn't make sense why it visited me. What did it want?

I thought about it, and I came to this conclusion. This thing would visit me and come to watch me sleep every night. It would come the second I fell asleep. But that night, it made a mistake. It had come too early. It had thought I was asleep. But I was actually half asleep. I had witnessed it, and it never came again... Or did it? Shoot...

Well, this is my story! Hope you enjoyed this scary life experience! By the way, this is all real, I promise! Please comment what you think about this entity, and feel free to share your stories with me. Thanks a bunch!:)

Other hauntings by ThePhoenixIsHere

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ThePhoenixIsHere, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
Well, hopefully it can become shared with you guys! I'm not really sure if what I saw would be considered a ghost. O.o
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
Hi! I will try to be patient, it's just that I can't wait to share my story with everyone!:D
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
ThePhoenixIsHere,
Hi. Please be patient, it can take a bit to get to your story for editing, etc. Just a gentle reminder - simply because you submit a story, doesn't guarantee it will be published. You'll be notified by email either way.:)
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
Btw, I posted another story, but it still isn't up yet! Its called the Women in The Car. Doesn't sound like it, but it was probably the creepiest experience that has ever happened to me. O.o
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
LOL! I get it now. At first, I thought it was a glitch or something, and it was annoying me. Now I'm laughing. XD
trentinray (3 stories) (67 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-01)
I find it absolutely hilarious reading the comments! I know Argette you are not fond of it because of your personal experiences, and I'm sorry for that. 😒 It makes me wish I had wrote a profile page so that I could read it, or I had more comments to write. Oh well, I am enjoying reading all the funny comments from others. πŸ˜†
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-01)
It's a 4/1 joke. Really fooled and scared me, Phoenix.

Certain words get replaced. Kind of funny, but not that much.
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-01)
The clown with the big red nose wears purple pants.

Trying to have fun here.
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-01)
WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY COMMENTS? Please help me! I don't know what's going on.
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-01)
Oh clown? What the heck? I typed in "Oh boy." Ok then, that's weird. πŸ˜•
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-25)
AWW MAN! I can't submit another story because the page it temporarily closed! Dang it.:/
Oh well, good thing there's a thing called copy and paste! XD
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-25)
Oh boy, there are so many comments! XD
Thank you for sharing your opinions everyone! I love all your theories!:)
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-25)
Melda,
Don't worry about it! I have actually learned a lot from the answers to your questions!:)
It's funny though. You say how the tall shadows that have a human like appearance scare people... I wasn't scared. In fact, I forgot about it the next day and told my parents about it a week later. Damn, I must have been a really carefree child, LOL! XD
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
OMG a Solidperson! LMAO! Now you've turned everything upside down Randy! How will I ever figure anything out if you're going to be throwing a smidgeon of logic into these theories?

Makes good sense to me and I needed the πŸ˜† Thanks!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
Tweed - Thanks for helping me sort that one!

I have encountered the semi-manifested dark shadowy type but they were the "human" ghost species - at least I think they were. I've second guessed myself there at times as the appearances were always fleeting. You know, did I see that or did I not πŸ˜•

Your second point coincides with what I have always believed, that the sometimes scary looking shadow person isn't of human origin at all. Don't think I want to encounter any of those. The very idea of them scares the living daylights out of me. I saw enough scary looking things as a kid, thanks very much!

Well at least my question wasn't as stupid as I thought. I hate to come across as a total dingbat πŸ˜†

Phoenix - I hope I haven't annoyed you by using your story for my questions!

Regards, Melda
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
Melda, my opinion on shadow folks is that 'shadow people' is like an umbrella term for:

1) Regular 'people and animal' ghosts who are 'seen' by individuals as shadows. Sort of like semi-manifested ghosts.

2) The tall, lanky, super dark type which, in my opinion, are another entity entirely. These are the ones that usually scare people. Though in my opinion the fear, or possible intent to scare, is misplaced.

Those be my thoughts. 😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
ThePoenixIsHere - I have never had interactions with shadow people, as a result I can't add much to the comments on this page. In fact I can't add anything! I don't know whether what you saw was a dark figure or a shadow person.

I am rather curious though. Are shadow people actually ghosts in the sense that a deceased human can manifest as a shadow person? I don't mean dark figures... I've seen a few of those... But actual shadow people.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but I was under the impression that they were from a different dimension.

Regards, Melda
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
Oh dear RANDYM, I nearly had tererΓ© out of my nose!
I have ever not imagined to have a point of view from the "shadow people" LOL

Well ThePhoenixIsHere, as many comments here recommends, you shall not judge them since we do not know them, observe, think, and most of all do not fear 😊

Even though, please do not try to risk communicating with them though unless you have abilities to understand them πŸ˜‰

Seeing and reading all these, not just yours, I felt that the best solution is to just ignore it and share your encounters with us! πŸ˜†

Cheers!

E.Lynx (tried the emoticons for the first time)
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
RandyM, I love you! 'Real Human Stories' πŸ˜†

Phoenix, have you read many of the shadow people encounters on here? If not there's loads where someone wakes up finding one standing around watching, usually scaring the crap out of them. So your theory about it's usual habits might be right. Or at least it was there to check your room on that night.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
Randy - out of all the theories bounced around by zzsgranny and I, as well as others, I don't think that one crossed our minds. This reminds me of something but I haven't had any coffee yet so I am mentally non-functioning right now. 😊
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+7
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
You know, what if all of these shadow figures are just as afraid of us. Who knows what we look like to them? Since they don't appear to have eyes that function they way ours do in our 3-D world they could perceive us as some really scary folks. Wonder what kind, if any, of
Research they have done on us. Legends about us? How bout this
The OP said he left when the OP came in pursuit. He must have been frightened of the OP and wanting to get away. Maybe they have legends of us being harmful just like we have tales of the Ouji. We living humans always set the scenario up where we are the good guys and all of these evil things are out to get us. Just imagine a day in Shadowland where some little shadow kids are playing in the gloom and a human Gothic looking person strolls by. Just wonder if they would get on a shadow version of Your True Human Stories and tell about how they had an encounter with a white skinned, nose studded, black haired Solidperson and it scared them so bad they almost lit up.

OK friends, I promise to not ever have a second pot of coffee again

Love you guys
Randy
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2017-03-22)
Please tell me, 'for the record', you realize that Slender Man is a work of fiction that managed to gain a 'cult' like following...Please...

Respectfully,

Rook
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-22)
Zaruge- Hi! I was actually thinking about slenderman when I was writing this, LOL! Don't worry, this does not bother me, because I doubt that the spirit was evil. If it was, I'm sure that it would have come back to try to harm me. Also, when it happened, I forgot about it the next day, LOL! XD
Don't worry about it:)
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-21)
Greetings to you too Bilbo,
What I had meant to say when I said that "Normally, no one would be aware of being on the brink of falling asleep, because they would just fall asleep and lose memory," people don't remember falling asleep. It's weird how I can easily say it now but not then, LOL. XD
I know that it may not be like that for everyone, but it was like that for me. I should have added that in. Oh well! XD
The reason I say that the thing watched me in my sleep is because it was a theory I had come up with when I was writing about this. I like your theory way better though.
I agree with you when you say that just because it is a shadow it doesn't mean it is evil. It may be, it may not be. We don't know. But I never say the spirit is evil. It could have been a relative that past away.
I might be posting more, so be ready!
-Phoenix 😊
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-21)
Red wolf- So you can see the shadows of your passed pets? That's kind of cool, but I am sorry for your losses. 😒

Valkricry- It is true that it may not be a nightly visitor. That was just a theory I had for the explanation of this sighting I had.

Both- I never said that this shadow was evil. I it might be, it might not. We will never know. When I said the shadow was a nightly visitor, that was just a theory. This shadow very well could have been there just that night, and it could have been a relative that had passed away. We won't know, so it is up to us to imagine and theorize.

😊
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-21)
Miracles51031- I see what you mean, and I will tone it back a bit! I do love telling stories, and I always want to make them enjoyable for other people too! But I won't embellish my stories to make them more enjoyable. I don't want to end up telling a story with a few embedded exaggerates.
Thanks for the tips though. 😊
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-17)
Phoenix

I agree with those that say it was a shadow person. Although I have never seen a shadow "person" I have seen shadow animals. Since most of my dogs were black at one time I thought one of them was laying in the hallway so I crouched to pet it. All of my dogs were in the living room! The "shadow" materialized, my guess is it was one of my dogs that had passed away. I went back to the hallway and there was just a shadow there again.

My point is that not all shadows are evil or sinister. You watch too many movies. It could have been a relative that passed away that just wanted to see you, perhaps one last time.

Regards
Red
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
Greetings, ThePhoenixIsHere;

First, I have a question. You assert that, "Normally, no one would be aware of being on the brink of falling asleep, because they would just fall asleep and lose memory." Have you researched this? I'm usually aware of falling asleep in incremental steps, as my left eye is usually the first to start to fall asleep, then the left facial muscles, my floating ribs start to relax as the abdominal muscles lose tension, both shoulders and my spine relax, then the right side of my face begins to relax, my thought processes narrow to a single stream of consciousness which slows down dramatically and loses logical coherence; at that point, I drift off into sleep. [Perhaps I'm only now discovering that no one else on the planet does this, but it seems perfectly normal to me --every night-- as I've always done it this way.]

I am also curious as to why you think that this entity was watching you sleep every night. You've treated this aspect of your narrative in a lighthearted manner, so I know you won't mind my asking this: Isn't it equally possible that instead of arriving early, and catching you still awake, that it arrived 4 or 5 hours late, and was shocked to find the room occupied? (It could have been under the impression that you were haunting the room it liked to sit in in the late afternoon...) 😁

Just because you see a shadow figure, it doesn't mean that you've got to deal with an evil spirit. Certainly, there are plenty of scary stories about shadow figures, but the more sensational the narrative, the more likely it is to get retold. Several members of this site have witnessed shadow figures that seemed to be minding their own business and were in no way negative or sinister.

Looking forward to reading more of your narratives,
Biblio.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
ThePhoenixIshere - sorry to say this but it sounded like slenderman being tall black and everything. Sorry hehe. You remembered it too well being 6 years old at that time and that means that what you've experienced already registered in your long term memory. Well I hope it didn't bother you or visit you in your sleep after that incident. Does it mean any harm to you? But anyways thanks for sharing
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2017-03-10)
Phoenix,
I remember things from when I was very young - like 4 and 5. So, I see no reason for you not to be able to recall something from the age of 6, especially if it made deep impression on you.
Sometimes, things are not as they appear, and spirits are no different. Just because it was black, doesn't mean it was evil or even 'bad'. Think about it, if it was either of those, do you really think it would just watch you sleep?
You can't even be sure it was a nightly visitor, so it might have been just that once. We'll never know for sure.
However, let's say it did. Every night it entered your room and watched you sleep - for what purpose? My Aunt use to do this with me, because I reminded her of the little girl she had, who was still born. We'd be about the same age, and she could kindof imagine if her girl was here how it would be. I call this wistful watching. Maybe you reminded it of a little one they'd either once had or wanted in life.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: