You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Condo

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Condo

 

I decided after posting my first story, I would just tell my stories in chronological order. If you read my previous story, you know that the house I grew up in was haunted and that I believe that a lot of the paranormal activity originated with my father (who is not a nice person).

So this story takes place in 2001. My then fiance (now husband) and I were living in a small town north of the Bay Area in California. We were unsure of what we were going to do now that we had both finished college. This was a temporary living situation. We were in the process of planning our wedding and after the wedding we'd be moving somewhere more permanent.

My father allowed us to live in one of his condominium complexes he built and owns (he's a real-estate developer). We still had to pay rent, but it was cheaper than where we were currently living.

The way this condo was laid out felt weird. Neither my husband nor myself liked it. The first floor you walked into was just a very small entrance that led directly up to the second level. Basically, you came in the front door (or the garage door) and walked up to the main living area. At the top of the stairs was a bathroom door that had inlaid frosted glass. Once you were on the second floor, you had the kitchen and family room area. The next staircase went up to the third floor which had one master bedroom, one spare bedroom, and one bathroom with the washer and dryer. When you go up that staircase it had a half-wall on one side so that you could have more light. This condo unit was a middle unit and pretty dark, even with the various windows.

The minute we stepped in there we felt *off*. At this point we had no other choice except to live with one of our parents. My house that I grew up in was OUT of the question and my husband's parents lived in a small condo themselves, so they had no room. This was our best, most affordable option until we were able to get married and figure out what we were doing and where we were going.

At this time I had 3 cats. All of which had acted normally, were social and fine in our previous apartment. However, in this condo they were spooked. One of them actually just hid the entire time. She never came out.

We tried to brush off the feelings of oddness as just the condo having a weird layout and it being a new place. I should have known since my father had a hand in building them that this place was going to be awful.

The condo was always dark no matter how much light we tried to let in. My cats were spooked and uneasy and my husband and I fought A LOT there. We had been together 3 years and got along great and now we were fighting all the time. I was looking for work and he was commuting to a larger city while we were planning our wedding. It was a stressful time, but I think the condo just added to it.

Neither one of us said anything at first about feeling uncomfortable. My husband is a solid guy. Nothing bothers him. He's not easily spooked. He's very logical and rational and doesn't let his emotions or imagination get the best of him. But he felt weird in this place. He didn't confide any of his feelings to me at first because he didn't want to scare me. He knew how sensitive I was and how awful my home was growing up, so he didn't want to play into any fears I already had.

At first we just had the feeling of being watched all the time. We never felt alone in that condo. But what finally got us to conclude that there was something paranormal going on was what was happening to us and more so, what was happening to me. I became severely depressed and suicidal. My husband was scared to go work because he thought he'd come home and find me dead. That's how bad off I was. I was having a hard time finding a job so I spent the majority of my day at home, alone. I was looking for jobs, sending out resumes, making phone calls, planning wedding appointments with vendors...etc. I tried to keep myself busy. But the more that time went on the more depressed I got. I couldn't make sense out of it. I had gotten my degree, I was marrying a man I loved, our future was laying ahead of us. I had no reason to be so depressed.

Then things started happening beyond feeling stared at and me being depressed. My cat, who was really more like a dog (traveled well, social, and she fetched) started acting VERY weird. We used to have this game with her where we'd throw her favorite toy and she'd go running after it and bring it back--Just like a dog playing fetch. In our old apartment she would to this for a solid hour until she got tuckered out. So one evening we were sitting on our couch playing fetch with our cat and the toy got flung halfway up the staircase going to the third floor. My cat's instincts kicked in and she started to run after her toy until she came to a dead halt about three stairs up. She froze, stared up towards the ceiling, her hair raised and she slowly backed down the stairs and left her toy. My husband and I just looked at each other like WTF?!

I went and got the toy and threw it somewhere else. She wouldn't fetch it. She just kept staring at the staircase. After that event, she never went upstairs again unless one of us went with her, and even then we had to coax her. When she was up there, she'd sit on the half-wall ledge and just stare up at the ceiling.

Of all the places in the condo, the third floor felt the worst. The second level sucked, but the third level was the worst. We both felt like we were being watched while in the shower. When we were on the third floor we'd hear sounds coming from the second floor or first floor. No matter what floor we were on, we heard sounds coming from somewhere else.

I never saw anything except one time and it was in the bathroom on the second level that was at the top of the staircase from the ground floor. I was in there with the door closed and through the frosted glass I saw a person walk past the door. I was home alone. There is no way anyone else was there. After I got out of the bathroom, I searched the condo, but found no one.

Things started escalating from there. Being watched, the fighting, my cat refusing to fetch, one cat flat out never coming out from hiding, my severe depression. It was just boiling up.

Then one morning, I'm lying in bed still asleep (my husband left at about 6am for work so I was home alone) and I felt my bed shake. It was the kind of shake that feels like when your pet is on your bed and it's scratching itself--that fast-paced vibrating jiggle. Naturally, I thought it was one of my cats, so I moved my leg down to nudge it so it would stop shaking the bed and when I did I felt nothing. The shaking stopped and I just figured my cat jumped down. I went back to sleep.

The next morning, my husband left for work and the bed shaking starts again. This time I sit up to nudge the cat and no one is there. This time I wrote it off as some small California earthquake. The odd thing was nothing else was moving or shaking or making a noise. Just the bed shook. But, again, I was trying to just be logical.

The next morning, same thing, except this shake was strong. This was no cat jiggling the bed. It felt like someone was standing at the foot of the bed and just kicking the crap out of the mattress. I flung back my covers and ran down the stairs. I called my husband at work and told him what was going on. This NEVER happened when he was at home with me. The bed never shook when he was in it. He believed me, but didn't know what to do except offer comfort and try to get home as soon as he was able.

My depression started morphing into sheer terror. I refused to go upstairs unless my husband was with me and even then I was so scared I started sleeping with the lights on. But that wasn't doing any good. We ended up moving the bed to the spare bedroom (that had been the office) and moving the office to the master bedroom. No good. The bed didn't shake in there, but I was still terrified. I was sleeping with the lights on and music playing. But I just never slept. I just felt like I was being watched and like something was circling the bed. My husband felt like there was something there and he was creeped out, but like I said, he just doesn't really get scared.

We tried saging the house and things calmed down a bit, but it never fully went away.

I was so exhausted from never getting to sleep at night that I laid down on the couch to rest one day during the middle of the day. I kind of went into this deep sleep. My husband calls it "death sleep" because you're so far under you're beyond regular sleep. So I was in this deep sleep but it felt like I was awake. I'd later find out I was astral projecting to a certain degree. But I was sleeping and I thought I had woken up and I sat up on the couch. I looked at the staircase and standing halfway up the staircase was a man. A young white man... Late teens, early 20s. He was in jeans and a plaid shirt. He had brown hair. He said nothing and I sat there frozen in fear staring at him. Then the room fell away and I'm in the woods and here's this young man and I watch him hang himself from a tree branch with a noose. It was *right* where my staircase is. At that point I screamed and woke up.

Then everything just clicked--Why I felt so depressed and suicidal, why my cat was afraid of the stairs, why she'd stare at the ceiling.

I don't know why this young man felt the need to kick my bed except for the fact that maybe he wanted to tell me his story?

But seeing this didn't make me feel any better. All I knew now was that my condo was being haunted by a young man who had killed himself. I scoured county records and newspapers to see if I could find any information on a man who had hung himself, but I found nothing.

I contacted my father and asked him what used to be on the property before the condos were built. He said "Eh, it was all forest and there was a stream running through it. We diverted the stream and now it runs through a tunnel under all of the condos."

My father, having no respect for the environment and only looking to make a profit, completely shifted the natural landscape of this stream so that it ran underground, cut down all the trees, and plopped condos on them.

Fortunately, we moved out a couple months later. Our total time at that condo was 11 months, but it felt like so much longer.

On our last day there, the final thing we packed up was our computer desk and computer (which was still in the master bedroom). I'm sitting there with my husband and he's leaning on the desk reading something over my shoulder and the desk shook violently. I looked at him and said "Did you feel that?!" He said "Yes. I sure did." I cried and told him that's what the bed had been doing.

I'm assuming it was our final goodbye from the young man that hung himself.

We packed up and moved across the country far away from my father and California.

Other hauntings by vala

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vala, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aisyah1987 (2 stories) (31 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-08)
It must have been a very hard time for hubs and you.

My house I feel, is getting worse, too.
I've got 4 kids.

As days go by, my hubs and I are fighting more, and the kids are becoming temperamental.

Our apartment is getting messier and I am naturally a very neat and tidy person.

Now, I don't look forward to anything in the house! 😢
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-11)
I have nothing to add on the paranormal side but to note that it is a compelling account and I am very glad you are all out of there! But I just wanted to put in that I know how it feels to have a father who is just simply a rotten human being. I have been through that too and dealt with it until he disowned me ten years ago - he lives a stone's throw away from me, I am his only biological child and he has not seen me or sought to in all that time. And, whereas I know that my life is genuinely better off without him it does still suck to know that even someone that flawed would rather have no daughter than me. Ok that's enough, I am not trying to make this about my issues just wanted to put it out there that you aren't alone and put some context behind my words when I say how very happy it makes me to read that your life has improved away from that negativity! ❤ ❤ 😊
vala (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-11)
MysteryResearch--I don't think it was someone my father crossed paths with. Although, I know he's f-ed over A LOT of people, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. My instinctual feeling was that this was a while ago... Like the kid looked like he was from the 1980s. The condos were being built at that time though. But the kid was so generic looking (like he could have been from the 1800s up to the 1990s) that it's hard to tell. Jeans, a plaid shirt, and short haircut... Pretty non-descriptive. He just didn't feel related to my dad. He felt related to the land.

KiKiGirl--Thank you for your kind words! Yes, it's been a release to share. I know others have experienced what I have--and worse! But it's nice to have a community of people that understand. Anybody I've told IRL and in person haven't been dismissive, but they also haven't experienced it either. So there is that comforting feeling of other people saying "I know and I *get* it. I've been there." ❤
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-05-06)
Hi vala, thank-you for sharing your stories.

It's been very difficult for you, all of these very bizarre and explainable experiences (I've read your first story tonight, too) and I just felt it necessary to tell you that I am 1 (ONE) person on YGS who decidedly chose to share my experiences because;
1. The memories or events really bothered me! These experiences which happen in people's lives which are emotionally traumatizing and cannot be reasonably explained.
(Even years after it was over, it still plays in the back of my mind like a bad horror film that I was the unknowing participant being taken advantage of).

2. To share difficult experiences with other like-minded people: It was not easy to explain or discuss with normal or regular people who look at you with this "WTF"? Or confused expression! Some concerned and good-meaning people try and understand or offer you piece of mind by trying to relate to little bits of it but, actually, cannot possibly give you a sense of relief because they have not experienced it on a personal level, themselves.

3. To find answers! I don't know how many times, I've used the words "unexplainable", "bizarre" and "confused" since beginning this comment.
When I said in point 1 that it really bothered me, the memories or events: The feelings of being frightened, baffled and bewildered were such powerful sensations that it was like, those feelings remained with me no matter how long after the experiences/events. I would go over the experiences again and again hoping that I would be able to; shed light on the situation or better understand what had happened in reasonable terms. It doesn't matter if you've already spoken to 10 people about the event if you don't feel like you've come to a resolve, conclusion or understanding of it; the questions just keep circling and repeating, as do the terrible emotions. If coming on to one more website and finding "someone" or an answer or a person who has studied this, and I can find answers? The hour/s of typing up the O/P is worth it!

When I started out this comment, I mentioned that I am 1 (ONE) person on YGS who has experienced some things that were difficult to forget and extremely hard to let-go-of. Most people or a lot of people have experienced the same thing, much like you! Not the exact same experiences, but, experiences we wanted to share because it had a particular meaning to you and because you want answers. I want you to know that you are not alone, many people have stories like this! They are just not prepared to share them for fear of being ridiculed or labelled "strange". At least, you were brave enough to try and work out an equation which seems unworkable, and look for answers within the unknown.
MysteryResearch (23 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-06)
Hi Vala,

Thanks for the thoughtful and thought-provoking post. I think is is possible that a suicide did occur on or near the place where the condo was located. With the exception of celebrities or public figures, obituaries are generally published at the request of the family, and it is not uncommon for a family not to publish an obituary in the case of suicide. A newspaper will not necessarily publish an article about a suicide death unless it was a well known person or there was a crime or suspicious activity (I used to work for a newspaper). It can be hard to find this kind of information in public records. The death records that are widely available generally don't list a cause of death.

Could this have been someone your father had crossed paths with or had wronged in some way? He had lived in the condo before, maybe there was some personal connection. You have stated he was not a good person, maybe he cheated that person's family in a business deal or something. Just something to consider. It seems like as you distanced yourself from your father, the haunting (s) decreased.

Take care,
MysteryResearch
vala (2 stories) (10 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-06)
Tweed--Yes, I'm a clairvyoant, empathic medium. At the time, I didn't know what I was feeling had labels and reasons behind it. I can discern better now when I'm picking up on someone else's vibration knowing that it's theirs and not mine. But at the time, I had no idea, otherwise I would have blocked myself.

Argette--I don't know if others experienced stuff. I can't imagine they didn't. Living there really did feel isolated. Like once you drove into the complex it felt like there was a veil around it. I wish I could have asked my neighbors if they ever felt anything.

Babygoatpuller- LOL about my dad. Yeah, he's a major douche. He's such a negative, cruel, mean person. He's got Narcissist Personality Disorder, so there is ZERO regard for other people. His main goal is himself and what can benefit him.

And yes, my husband is SOLID. I feel very lucky. I don't know many people who could hang with a family like I had (that was that toxic and crazy) never mind me--who was a total nervous wreck when I met him. I think he could just see past all of that and knew in time, I'd get stronger with his encouragement, strength, and love. I feel very blessed.:)
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
Vala- Sorry, but you're father's a douche!

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that but I must say, you picked a good one with your hubby. He's a trooper.

I'm sure it was the kid that hung himself that caused all the problems but that whole area is rife with Native American atrocities. And then your um, dou- father coming in and dumping his evilness all over the place, well that had to ramp things up and over the top.

You seem to handle things well and it's good you got out of there.

This was a good read. Thanks for sharing.
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
I have to wonder if the location or the condos caused negative emotions which were then imprinted there for others to experience...
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
Vala - I know how horrendous it can be to live in a haunted place!

It would seem that the tree where the guy hanged himself used to be situated exactly where the staircase now stands. Very chilling!

Regards, Melda
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
Hi Vala,

Ergh sorry you went through all that.😢 Now I understand why you're apprehensive around apparitions through glass.
Just a thought about the grip this place had on you, as you sound very sensitive to locational 'vibes' you probably also recognised those of your father. That probably contributed to the extremes you felt there.

Sorry you went through all that. Thanks for sharing.
vala (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
Redwolf--Other people were living in those condos (there were only 12 condo units total). But the complex was VERY weird. Everyone really seemed to keep to themselves and the people I did see seemed angry and depressed. It was just very surreal.

I had spoken to my mom about it recently, and something I didn't know was that my father had lived in that unit that I was living in. While the condos were being built and while he had other work up there, he lived in that condo. So I think our unit, in particular, had bad energy.

But no one there seemed particularly happy and no one stayed long.

I also thought about the conduit of the water and how that spirit might have not originated there, but was drawn there.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
vala

You must have been very angry with your father. Water and crystal rocks such as quartz are two things that can hold memories of past events. That young man might have hanged himself somewhere else but because the water his spirit found it's way to the condos.

You never mentioned if anyone else was living in other condos. If not I find that to be a bit odd. Please clarify this for us.

Regards
Red
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-04)
How frightening, Vala. I'm sorry you experienced this. Depression is tough enough to handle when you can identify its cause. But this? You must have felt so powerless.

A suicide and descration of the land can be powerful catalysts.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: