You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Haunted Home/poltergeist Activity And It Followed Us

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Home/poltergeist Activity And It Followed Us

 

This is all true. This is not a work of fiction. I wish it was because it was terrible to live through.

I grew up in the Bay Area in California. The house I grew up in was built from the ground up by my father. No previous owners. My father is not a good man (he's done horrible things and is a cruel angry person) and I do believe that a lot of the negative energy he carries was imbued into the building of this home.

Since an early age, I've apparently been surrounded by spirits. Me, my mom, my sister, and my brother all have abilities.

This is not a story of one singular incident. This is a collection of all the paranormal things that happened in my house while I grew up there.

When I was a baby, I used to share a room with my sister (who is 6 years older than me). She said when I was a baby sleeping in my crib, she used to see scary faces floating over my crib and it frightened her so much, she used to bring me into bed with her to keep me safe.

Strange things always occurred in my home and I don't know a single family member that didn't have an experience of some kind (although my father denies ever having any.) Our home was a toxic one. There was a lot of mental/psychological, physical, emotional, and some sexual abuse. I'd say it was a breeding ground for negative paranormal activity.

Some common events that would occur were voices. But it wasn't voices of someone else. It was always the voice of someone in the family. So this entity would mimic. I'd be home alone after school and I'd hear my mom come in the front door and call my name. I'd yell back that I was home and I'd hear nothing. I'd get up to look around and see where my mom was. I'd check the garage and her car wasn't in there. She hadn't even gotten home yet. I was home alone. This type of thing happened to all of us all the time. We'd hear our names being called, by what seemed to be family members, and 99% of the time we were home alone when it happened. If someone was home, it wasn't the person who was calling our name. Oddly enough, no one ever heard my father call for them. It was usually a sibling or my mom's voice.

We'd often feel like someone was right behind us, only to turn to and see nothing. We see things dart out of the corner of our eyes. We had cats in the house, but whatever was darting back and forth out of our peripheral vision was not our cats because it was as tall as a person.

Speaking of the cats, they would randomly stare at certain spots. Their fur would puff up and they'd growl as if being threatened, but nothing was there.

We'd feel tugs or taps on our shoulders or clothing only to turn around and have no one there.

The standard anomaly of things going missing would happen. At the time, each of us blamed each other for stealing something of ours, but as it turns out that wasn't the case. I think it's important to add, that while each of us was being haunted, none of us ever told any other family member what we were experiencing. It wasn't until we were older and things started happening to guests that we started sharing our stories.

Eventually, as we got into our teenage years, this entity took on form. I think because of all the negativity in the home, it just fed this thing and it got to the point where it manifested as form. Our house had a very long hallway (think the original Poltergeist movie) and it had bedrooms all on one side of the hallway and on the other side was just solid wall (with a couple of closet doors). It was dark, long, and scary and at the end of the hallway was the last bedroom. On the side with the bedrooms it went: bedroom, bathroom, bedroom, bedroom, and then at the end of hall (causing an "L" shape) was the last bedroom. The first bedroom was mine, then the bathroom, then my sister's room, and then an office, and at the end of the hall was my brother's room. I bring up the layout of the house because it's important in order to understand how this thing would travel.

It was a dark smoky (but not see-through) black form that would hover in the corner of my bedroom and travel against the wall and go through the wall to the bathroom, then through to my sister's room, then down to the office, and then to my brothers room. And it would randomly travel along that path terrorizing each of us at random times. We always felt like we were being watched. It was an overwhelming feeling of dread and pure terror.

I don't think I ever fully slept while I lived in that house, and I still have trouble sleeping to this day. I used to sleep with a knife under my pillow. I don't know what I thought this could do against an entity, but I felt I should at least have something.

It's M.O. Used to be that it would move things, call out our names, dart around, tap us, all during the day but the poltergeist-type activity happened at night.

I always slept with a night-light on and I'd fall asleep in brief stints (awake for 2 hours and asleep for 45 minutes type of thing). I would randomly wake up to see all of my drawers in my dresser opened, my closet doors open, and my armoire doors also open. I *tried* to shake it off as my sister or brother pulling a prank, but there was no way I didn't hear all of this happening. I was (and still am) such a light sleeper. The first time it happened I walked down to my sister's room and she was fast asleep and so was my brother.

So I'd just close all the doors and drawers and tried to go back to sleep. It didn't happen every night. Frankly, I think it would take turns bothering each of us. Kind of like it was making the rounds and just picked a person to bother that night. Everyone always had horrible nightmares.

My sister (who would also sleep with a light on) used to experience something pulling on her feet while she was asleep. She would feel like her feet were being pulled off of the bed. She would also feel like she was being strangled and couldn't breath. One night she heard a noise that sounded like someone was standing right outside her window. She said she was too scared to pull back the curtain, but she just listened and then heard heavy breathing. The odd thing was the window was closed. That had to be some pretty heavy breathing to hear it through the window if it was coming from outside! When she heard the breathing and then realized the window was closed, it donned on her that it must be *in* the room, not outside and she ran screaming down the hallway and got my mom up. My father justified it as a deer. We have a lot of wildlife in the hills of Northern California (deer, mountain lions...etc) and my father said it must have been a wild animal standing outside her window breathing heavily. Nevertheless my father, per our request, installed a motion-detection light outside.

Afterward, she never heard anything outside her window but we (my sister, my brother, and myself) would hear scratching and footsteps on the roof. This is a one-story ranch-style house with no attic. Again, my father said a raccoon must have climbed up our house and was running across the roof. The motion-sensor lights would go off, but when we looked outside nothing would be there. No sounds of animals running away. Our neighbors were right next door divided only by a fence and a wall of short shrubs. This always happened at night. And again, it was always random.

We had something occurring every day during the day with the voices, the darting shadow, the tapping, and at night something would happen somewhere to someone. Although, again, we never really talked about it until after my sister had studied abroad after high school and came back home to live. Growing up she thought all of it was in her head. It wasn't until she studied abroad and nothing ever happened to her while living somewhere else that she concluded it has to be the home.

After she got home and started experiencing things again, she knew it was something and she wasn't going crazy. She kept her suspicions to herself as to not scare me and my brother because up to this point, she thought she was the only one experiencing things.

The last straw for me was when I was 17. I was trying to go to sleep and I drifted off. When I opened my eyes I couldn't move and couldn't breathe. It felt as if a person were laying on me pinning my arms down. I could feel the hot breath on my face. I couldn't scream or move. It lasted probably 10 seconds, but it felt like an eternity. I finally got it to go away when I thought to myself "GET OFF ME!" It receded down my legs with a cold blast and was gone. I FLEW out of bed screaming down the hallway and got my mom. My brother tried to reassure me that it was sleep paralysis. I would have believed him if I hadn't had bruises on my arms where I was pinned down. I don't know if sleep paralysis can manifest physical evidence, but I was aware that people could hear and see things during sleep paralysis.

It was at that point I started sleeping on the couch in the family room. Two days later my sister started sleeping on the other couch across from me in our family room. There we were, one almost an adult and the other an adult sleeping in the family room because we were terrified of what was in our bedrooms. The activity lessened when we slept in there. As I said, it seem to primarily travel along the route of bedrooms down the hallway. It didn't seem to venture into other areas of the house (at least not at night).

When I asked my sister why she moved to the family room she refused to talk about it. She just said she didn't like being so far away from me.

All of the ghostly activity came out into the open when friends and family started to stay with us.

My brother had a friend who didn't have a great home life so he would stay off-and-on with us and he would sleep in my sister's room since she was sleeping on the couch. He said he didn't like sleeping in there. He said "I never sleep well in there. I feel like I can't breathe and I'm being strangled."

My cousin, who frequently came into town on business, would stay with us, and again, would use my sister's bedroom. He too said he didn't like sleeping in there. He said he felt like he was being strangled and couldn't breathe. He said he also felt like someone was climbing into bed with him. These are grown men being too freaked to sleep in there.

At one point, my grandmother got sick and had surgery. She ended up staying with us for a while and my mom and father put her in my bedroom. After one night in there she said "I won't sleep in there again. There are faces in the corners of the room and they are evil and mean to do harm." They ended up moving her down the hallway to my brother's room (who had moved out at this point).

One by one, people that had no idea what we had been experiencing came out and said they hated those rooms and had bad experiences in there.

It was at that point my siblings and I started to question each other and all our stories came out. We corroborated each other's experiences. The only one that actually saw a full bodied apparition was my brother.

My brother was a big guy. He was an athlete and lifted weights. He also used to sleep with his door closed and locked because he slept naked. He said one night he woke up to a man saying his name in his ear. "Wake up Tim." My brother, being annoyed and wondering how in the hell someone got into his locked bedroom, sat up and saw no one. He shook it off and went back to sleep. A little while later he heard it again, but louder "WAKE UP TIM!" right in his ear. At this point he was pissed and ready to kick someone's butt. He sat up and said he saw a man standing against his dresser. He was dressed all in white with a cane and a bowler hat. My brother said he didn't look evil, but he didn't seem nice either. My brother just said "What the f*ck do you want?!" And it just vanished. He never saw it again.

Eventually, all of us kids moved out. My mom said she never experienced anything there beyond the daytime stuff of shadows and voices.

Years later, my mom ended up sleeping primarily in my sister's old room because my father and her were in the process of separating. My brother and his wife were there from out of state for a visit with their 4 year old son. They slept in my brother's old room and refused to sleep anywhere else. My mom was right down the hall asleep in my sister's room when my nephew (who knew nothing about the house) came in very early in the morning (about 6am) and tried to wake up my mom. My mom told him she was still tired and sleeping and to come snuggle with her instead (which he would usually gladly do). He said no and walked out. A few minutes later he came back in and woke up my mom again and asked her to get up. She said no and that she was tired. She thought this was odd because my nephew is a well-behaved child and usually listens well. After she said no, he started to walk out, stopped, turned around and said "Granny, I need you to sleep somewhere else." Then he pointed to the corner of the room and said "There's a something." My mom did not want to scare him any further because his eyes were as big as saucers and he REALLY wanted her out of that room. So she just got up and walked out with him. It had been about 3 years of just my parents living there, but apparently this thing was still there.

Eventually (after my parents divorce), the house was empty except for my dad. When my parents divorced, all of us kids one by one fell out with my dad (that's a long, non-paranormal story as to why) and we haven't spoken to him in years. From what I've heard, he still lives there alone.

My sister still lived in California but moved to Southern California. I moved out of state and across the country to the East. My brother moved out of the United States and lives in Europe.

At this point, I'm married and have a child of my own. About 6 years ago I was having severe trouble sleeping. I was still having nightmares about that house and every time I have a nightmare, that house is where everything takes place. It doesn't matter what the subject of the dream is, it always takes place there. So I was going through a bout where I wasn't sleeping well and had a feeling of uneasiness. I would dream about being in the darkness--inside whatever this shadow figure was. I was struggling to figure out how to get rid of these nightmares when my sister emailed me and said "I saw the thing again. I woke up in the middle of the night and it was hovering over my face." I told her I was having nightmares about it. We contacted my brother and he said he too was having sleep disturbances and odd things happening. He'd never had a problem at his residence in Europe until then. We figured the thing had gotten bored or was lessening in energy and it started making the rounds between us three again. We all scoured our current homes to find anything that had a connection to that house. I had a nice upholstered chair that my father had made for me in my bedroom. My sister and brother both had found furniture pieces that we had all taken with us when we moved. We promptly got rid of them and the three of us together meditated and drew the entity towards us and one by one each of us stood our ground and took back all our energetic power it had sapped out of us over the years until it shrunk to nothing.

It hasn't bothered us since. It's been 15 years since I've stepped foot in that home and I know my dad still lives there all alone. I don't know if it still hangs out there or if me and my siblings finally banished it. I just know it hasn't been around since we all banded together to rid ourselves of it.

I've encountered other haunted homes and paranormal activity (as have my sister and brother) not related to the entity in our home, but I chalk that up to us all being sensitives. I'll share some of those stories another time.

Thanks for listening. Hope you enjoyed.:)

Other hauntings by vala

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vala, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cersed240 (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-08)
Hello Vala. If I may, do you happen to know if your father was abusive before he built the house? I wonder if there was something other then the poor layout in the land that might have been a factor in this. Did you happen to know any of the history of the land? Also, what part of the Bay Area did you live?

Cerse.

P.S. I hope I'm not digging too much.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-13)
Feng shui is very important, and it usually comes pretty naturally to people who pay attention to the environment around them.

Funny, my mom's family are all farmers and when she started looking into feng shui, she found that we all were already doing it correctly without even realizing what we were doing. So it's really not that difficult I don't think.

That's a terrible shaped house! It's missing half a side to complete a balanced square shape, and it looks like an extremely awkward place to live. Some places just need a little tweaking, but it seems like unless you finish the square, it does look stuck. That's going to be a tough resale, ha!
vala (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-11)
shelbyloree--The house was "[" shaped. I don't think that helped at all. It kind of gave it a circuit to run on and no outlet. The condos were even worse! So many angles and weird layouts. I've studied Feng Shui and these two places were a nightmare! And yes, my dad should quit building things. Anything he puts his hands to has like the anti-midas touch. It all turns to crap. It makes HIM money, but at the cost of everyone else that lives in that building. But as long as he's making the dough, he doesn't care who he hurts.

I'm just glad to be out and away from anything to do with him and his buildings!:)
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-09)
That whole situation sounds pretty stressful and bad. Good thing everyone banded together and hit the road!

Your dad may have picked up whatever it was many years ago and has probably played host to it for a long time. Or it could have been a part of himself projected into the place, since nothing had been there before. If the condo he built had the same problem, it makes you wonder if the odd designs are to subconsciously attract more negativity.

It puts me in mind of this house that was on TV in Southeast Asia, the builder purposely built it to cause negativity to its inhabitants. They finally called in a local shaman and he said nope, this place was built as an energy trap, nothing I can do about this ghost problem you've got.

Glad you're away anyway, and maybe your dad needs to quit building things, just to be on the safe side.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-01)
Vala,

Thank you for taking your time to comment back.
Much apprecitated.

Im a believer in energy, what we produce can sometimes be sponged in by other people. Just my beliefs, and trying to give you another way to look at it.

Maybe trying to meditate, on your energy, and clearing it out, would help you. And then trying a shielding method, to back it up.

Sorry you had to go through such a childhood, and hope your life is way better now than ever.

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-30)
Melda--I love The Importance Of Being Ernest! A quote from it that could be directed at Aman-Berry is, "The truth is rarely pure and never simple." 😆
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-30)
Manafon1 - Here's me being silly again. Your comment regarding "you seem earnest"... Triggered a little light bulb in my brain. I'm sure you know of the 'stage play' "The Importance of being Ernest"?

Regards, Melda
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-30)
Aman-Berry,
I realize you are new and may not be aware that you are coming very close to breaking several of the comment guidelines.
I see you have this same link to your video on your profile and that's fine, but when all your comments are pretty much copy and paste of the same, then it starts to get a bit dicey. You may be unaware that you are beginning to come off as your posts are simply promotional tools for your video. It does not help that the same day you posted the video, you also joined here and wrote these comments. That makes it appear that your purpose is NOT to actually try and be helpful, but rather to promote your video.
That is frowned upon here. It can result in the deletion of your comments, and if you insist on doing it further action will be taken. None of it good.
In your video you speak of other's experiences as 'cases', the same holds true for those here. Each 'story' is an individual case, and should be treated as such. They deserve individual attention, and not a blanket 'see my video'.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Couldn't agree more Manafon. That post, from Aman-Berry, to me, was nothing more than generalised self promotion.

Regards
Mack
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Aman-Berry--You seem in earnest in your youtube video. I see you have posted several other videos on various other subjects as well. I just have to suggest that instead of making vague and occasionally rambling statements, you might want to read up a bit more on paranormal subjects. By that I mean dry theoretical psychical theory and not the "pop" stuff. Maybe you are casting your net too wide with your various areas of interest. You often seem to be mixing and matching ideas on the fly. Although you may be in earnest, knowledge is power.

You dismiss much that has been written about the paranormal as unhelpful. Gotta say I disagree. You also state some rather dramatic things about saving lives with your technique. I don't want to intrude on vala's account any further but just because you're feeling better about yourself doesn't make you an expert on any subject you turn attention to.

This comment from Aman-Berry is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

vala (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and responses! I never got any notifications that my story had been posted. I just happened to check back. So glad I did!

I don't know how to reply to each individual comment, so I'll just reply here.

To Spiritwaiting--Yes, it was my father who was the abuser, so I do believe it was his energy that brought it along. He grew up in very abusive home as well, so I think it just manifested and came with him. Another place I lived happened to be built by him as well (a set of condominiums) and I had a horrible experience there as well. I will write about that one at a future date.

Melda--My nephew was a very sensitive soul. He's repressed that part of him though so I think he's closed himself down from that side of life.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Hi Vala,

I just want to welcome you to YGS really. 😊
My sentiments echo Msforgetmenott's. I read this yesterday and found myself reading some very heavy, serious events. Yet I felt a warmth from you, I hope that doesn't sound contrived.
I'm glad you and your family found a way to compare each of your experiences. That would've been a load off.
I'm sorry you went through this, and I hope that sharing it has been a positive thing for you. 😊
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-24)
Hi Vala,
I seldom write, but felt a need to respond to your events. At times writing on YGS can be a form of therapy, I think you needed to spell out the horror you experienced, as in putting it to print is helpful mentally.
I believe that negativity does gravitate to an angry personality, as you believed it had been with your Father. I have seen this in my own life.
The way you presented your events was very well thought and a breath of fresh air for us, the reader. We have had a rash of poorly written youthful stories of late.
Your writing, while disturbing, was very believable. Thank you for taking the time to place it on YGS, I will look forward to other events you wish to share.
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-24)
Hi vala,

Great job getting rid of the entity (from your lives at least).

I too have experienced an entity that seemed to follow me and I know the terror you felt. As with you and your siblings, it also took my strength of will (and a little help) to rid myself of it and it helps me to know that someone else out there has been able to do the same.

Good for you all!

Regards
Neph
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-24)
Vala - I had chills reading your account of those terrifying experiences. It takes me back to my childhood and early teenage years 😨. Abuse of any kind would certainly be a breeding ground for negative activity.

You feel so alone and helpless, especially at a young age, when you are going through these things on your own. I know you said your siblings also experienced these horrible events but you did not actually discuss them at the time, so in fact it was almost a matter of each one for herself/himself.

In my case it seemed that I was the primary target, for whatever reason. I have published two stories here regarding my childhood horrors, if you are interested in taking a peek. I'm not trying to push my experiences on you, simply mentioning it in the context of your experiences 😊.

Well it seems that somehow we survive these events, with difficulty, but nonetheless survive!

It would appear that your nephew is also a sensitive soul. Do you know whether he has had any further paranormal experiences?

Regards, Melda
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-23)
I forgot to add...

Because of all the negativity in the home,I'm going to ask a few questions, if you don't mind.

Your father, was he the abuser, as far as physical,emotional,and mental?

If so this definitely could have been the one to unintentionally invite this negative entity into the home. Then with all of you feeling, and going through what you had, it fed it.

Thus causing it to continue to bother all of you, and potentially growing stronger as the years went by.

Maybe even when you all moved on, it could still possibly be there with your father, going back to the original "host".

Spirits/Entities have crazy ways of being able to stay around even when theyre not wanted.

Your father probably not being a believer in such things, could be the perfect one to stick around because he has no intention on trying to get rid of it.

Just a few thoughts and questions. 😊

Anyhow again thanks for sharing, this was a well written account.

And hope you, write more on here.

Spiritwaiting
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-23)
Vala,

Wow! Such a reminder of my childhood home. The activity was always going on.

I really liked this one,I'm sorry you had to endure so much as a child, as well as your siblings.

This is going into my favs.
Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
xlauraloux (20 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-23)
Wow you are amazing! To go through the abuse from a human and having to deal with a dark entity I think I would have ran away years ago 😢

Your experiences are well written, I have added this to my favourites 😊

I am glad it had finally left you and your siblings and I hope it stays that way xx

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: