You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Pop

Real Ghost Stories

Pop

 

Fergie's latest submission "House Sitting" spurred me on to recount these events.

Throughout my life I have had very vivid dreams which on many occasions have actually become reality. I also tend to get flash images of people and events. When I see people, for whatever reason, they seem to appear in the corner of my left eye. I know that sounds crazy. I am not talking about seeing deceased people only.

Approximately a year ago I had a very vivid dream about Pop, my deceased father-in-law. All his grandchildren called him Pop. In fact our grandchildren also call my husband Pop!

Well the dream that I had about Pop was that he was trying to get me to board a plane, which I did not want to do. I won't go into specifics about that, as this account is not about a dream. In fact, after I churned the dream around in my mind, it turned out to be figurative and he was quite right in trying to get me to "board the plane", which in my dream I did not do but in reality actually did do! Excellent advice from Pop.

After this dream I kept seeing Pop in my left eye. (I would love to know whether other members have experienced this). He was always wearing a white and blue checked shirt, which he often wore in life. I tried talking to him out loud, in my mind but got no reaction whatsoever. All he did was appear in my mind (eye).

Eventually I had this brainwave!? He was trying to communicate with his son, my husband, but could not do so. If a ghost were to hit Brian over the head with a cricket bat he wouldn't acknowledge it. So, in my mind, Pop was using me to get his son to communicate with him. I duly told Brian to sit quietly, on his own, and to talk to his father. I told him that what he said did not matter, just please try to communicate because your father is driving me nuts! He duly did so, probably just to get me out of his hair, but said he didn't feel a thing. He did not feel the presence of his father at all.

Fast forward about ten days to two weeks. My son had alarming news regarding his financial situation. He is happily married and has two children, a daughter and a son. Craig is a highly qualified electronic engineer and was earning a very, very good income. Because of the problems with the mines in SA (which were and still are the main source of income in his company) he had to take a 30% decrease in his salary. This would affect anybody pretty badly. You live according to your income and although he isn't a spendthrift he and his family had to lower their lifestyle very drastically.

Now the following event was witnessed by his wife and a very good friend of his. One Saturday afternoon he had been mowing his lawn when his friend arrived at his house with a few beers. At this stage Craig was still feeling very low, wondering how he was going to cope with private schooling for his kids and so on. At the moment in SA private schooling is the way to go because of various reasons. That is a topic best left untouched.

Craig had noticed a young dove which seemed to hop from tree to tree while he was mowing the lawn. When he and his friend sat down in the garden to enjoy a beer, this dove perched itself on his shoulder. His friend actually took a few pics of it on his cellphone. No, I don't have those pics to send you. This dove sat on his shoulder, according to Craig, his wife and his friend, for at least half an hour before Craig took it off of his shoulder and put it on the branch of a tree. It then flew off.

He and I discussed this incident and we both agreed that the dove was the spirit of Pop. I have never again experienced the presence of Pop. Just to mention, Craig was very close to him and he was very proud of this specific grandchild for a number of reasons, achievements under adversity and so on.

I would really love to know what people think of this? To me it was just too much to be mere coincidence.

Melda

Other hauntings by Melda

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melda, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-01-24)
Cherubim - Thanks for reading!

Yes this was a very strange experience. It felt as though Pop had taken up residence in my head. After the incident with Craig and the dove he just simply faded from my mind.

I think our loved ones find a way to get through to us. If it has to be in the guise of a dream, butterfly, or bird, then so be it.

Regards, Melda
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-01-23)
I've heard it said butterflies and birds are our loved ones coming to visit us. Pop maybe didn't want Craig to worry, he came to comfort him perhaps. My boyfriends name is Craig too. 😊 I just recently had a strange thing happen. I was watching TV when out of the corner of my eye I saw something twinkling and it was bright light. I don't know how else to describe it. Also once in my back yard while pruning trees a humming bird kept hovering just inches from my face! It was unbelievable! Your story brought up these happy memories for me, thank you for sharing it. I loved it!
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2018-11-30)
Melda,

First and foremost, thank you for letting us know about T-Rex and Jubeele. T-Rex and Jubeele, need all the blessing you can send to them at this time. What ever your faith, prayers and kind thoughts.

I know this helps!

Jubeele, you and T-Rex are my favorites, but then I have many. I join the others as we in our own way whisper well wishes for you both. Be strong in knowing there is a large team, standing behind you both.

One of the reasons I have come so far and so quickly, is the caring, wonderful people on YGS. They first have to know, and boy did they come forth. I rushed to the computer, when finally home from my surgery. I felt the love from so many on YGS. We are no longer strangers, but friends separated by miles.
❤ ❤ ❤

Thank you for your post Melda,
Jan
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-30)
Thanks Melda,

Rex-T and Jubeele are two amazing members. I'm so grateful to have met them here. I've had great advise from both of them many times.

My thoughts are with them.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Miandra
😘 ❤ 😘
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-30)
Melda - thanks for letting us know.

Sending him positive thoughts. ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-30)
TO ALL - Rex-T is very ill and in hospital. I'm sure many of you know that he had a liver transplant and, with some ups and downs, adjusted very well. However at this stage he is not doing well.

I am asking whoever reads this to send out your prayers, thoughts and good wishes to him. I know our religions and beliefs differ but please do so in your own way.

Think of all the prayers and good thoughts and vibes going in his direction. I DO believe that it has a positive effect.

While you're about it, remember Jubeele as well. She is extremely stressed and in need of consolation. These are two wonderful, caring, compassionate people.

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Rex-T - Don't be surprised by my lack of knowledge regarding TV programmes at the time I was growing up. TV only reached South Africa in 1975! Actually it might have been 1976 but I seem to remember that this huge event took place the same year my eldest son was born.

We were so protected in this country by the government of the time that it was like living on another planet. Even when we had TV, everything was censored. There was a lot we were not allowed to know. There was no such thing as freedom of the press. It probably took them about ten years to decide that TV could no longer be avoided. But that's politics in the "old days" and not appropriate for this forum. I could carry on forever!

Anyway - Pop knew that both his son and daughter were closed off to anything supernatural. He had one or two experiences of his own which he only discussed with me so he knew that if he wanted attention from the family he would have to get it through me, and Craig, who has also had a few experiences. I knew he wanted me to tell his son to think of him and talk to him. Brian couldn't feel any connection but I'm sure his dad heard him and to me that was all important but I'm disappointed that he couldn't tell Brian what he wanted him to know.

Thanks for the comment and I'm looking forward to your next submission. I really enjoyed the last one. 😊

Regards, Melda
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Melda, you surprise me. The first few episodes of the TV series 'Kung Fu' introduced Grasshopper who had to snatch the pebble from his master's hand to leave the temple.

You may/may not have seen it growing up. At the time, it was ground breaking stuff for us learners. I've been a grasshopper ever since.

Pop trying to communicate with your hubby (for me) is sad. There was so much I wanted to say and do with my dad but never got the chance.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Melda, I knew you were the researcher extraordinaire!😘

Don't worry about the drama points, I believe the algorithm resets itself after you've posted a certain number of comments. (Sorry Martin - have I given the 'secret' away? 😜) I still love you anyway, Denise.❤

Now, I've got to read Manafon's Part 2...
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Jubeele - I'm not allowed to give you a karma point. I'm told to vote for somebody else. I trust I'll find an equally deserving poster ❤

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Jubeele - Thanks for your comment. I loved Pop like a father, not a father-in-law. He had a hard exterior at times but had a heart of putty and a huge sense of humour. We had a very good relationship.

I learn quite a lot from you. I had no idea that the grasshopper held any symbolic qualities. Very interesting!

I don't have a problem with grasshoppers but I'm not overly fond of locusts. A bit of a leap, I know. (Not intended as a pun 🙄) One sunny day last year I was back-washing my swimming pool and also bent down to clear the basket of leaves. After I'd finished I went back inside the house and the lower part of my back was extremely itchy. I kept scratching but the itch remained. I asked my domestic worker (she works for me once a week, or twice when I want her an extra day) to have a look to see if I had a rash. She pulled my jeans down slightly and let out a yelp. Out came a locust and perched itself on the bathroom window. I was completely freaked out and so was she 😁. Nasty creature, taking advantage of me like that.

Oh by the way, cheeky girl, I've already done some research for you. Manafon's part 2 has been out for ages. Just take a look and you'll find it. Think you can manage?

Regards, Melda
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Melda, this account of your Pop really touched me. What a wonderful man - he's left you all a precious memory to cherish. This is such a lovely blessing.❤

When Grandma passed, I was only 7 years old. The morning after we attended her wake, I found a beautiful emerald-green grasshopper resting on the living room wall. It was unusual as we lived on the 7th floor. When I called my parents' attention to it, it hopped off towards the doorway and flew off.

My Mum believes it was Grandma come to see us once more before moving on. She also reminded me that I was the only one of her grandchildren born in the year of the Dragon, same as her. Incidentally, among other things, the grasshopper symbolises taking a leap of faith, moving forward, while staying grounded. It's considered a good sign to find one in the home.

********

P.s. When you're in the mood, can you help me with some research? 😘
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-25)
ms_st0308 - Thanks for reading my stories 😊

Yes this particular one about Pop was a very special experience for me and my son.

It's amazing how our passed relatives and friends can draw our attention if they feel the need to do so, through dreams, flash images in the mind and many other ways.

I just love the fact that the cardinal appeared for a few months just as your great-grandmother promised! 😊

Regards, Melda
ms_st0308 (6 stories) (66 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
Hi Melda, I've been reading your stories this weekend, and this one stood out to me as I believe I have had visits in dreams from two friends who have passed away. I also have family who have had "visits" in the form of animals.

In my case, these two friends died very suddenly and unexpectedly. In both cases, I had several dreams about them but with each of them I had what I'd like to call a closing dream. It was as if they had come back to let me know they were okay and I didn't have to mourn any longer. And I have not had a dream about either one since.

Before my great grandmother died several years ago, she had always told my grandmother to watch for a cardinal after her death. In the months following her death my grandmother saw a cardinal at her window almost daily. My mother and I also had seen a cardinal in the same place in my mother's yard for a few months as well.

I believe very strongly that we do get these visits when they are needed most, and if we're willing to be open to their visits.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-26)
BeagleMom - Thank for responding!

I honestly don't know what causes these flash images, they just happen.

In fact just a week ago I got a gardener in for a few days. Whenever I have somebody coming in to work I cook extra food the night before so that I can feed them lunch. I was just about to take chicken out of the freezer when it just popped into my mind that this guy doesn't eat chicken, so I took out minced meat instead.

The following day when he arrived, simply out of curiosity, I asked him whether he eats chicken. His reply to me that he eats everything except chicken 😆

Strange or what!?

Regards, Melda
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-26)
Hi Melda!

I learned something from you today. May I quote you? "I think many people experience these flash images but simply discard them as having no meaning. I too tend to discard them but when they keep recurring, they tend to become more meaningful.
So take more note of what flashes through your mind!"

I always just push these "flashes" of insight aside. I get lots of them, mostly inconsequential. But afterward, I think, Oh Yeah! I KNEW this or that was going to happen. I just figure I am a good guesser. Maybe not! Who am I receiving this wisdom from? God? My deceased parents? A spirit guide? Just wondering if you've got any insight.

Friend Husband and I are preparing for our "Holiday" in London and Ireland. I don't get to this sight as often as I'd like. Don't give up on me, I will be back!


Mother of Beagles
Carolyn
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Hah! I know it costs an arm and a leg, Melda. But what can we do if we want the best for our youngsters?

Yeah, we just have to grin and bear it. No amount of toi-toi-ing on our part is going to change things for US.

This silly system won't allow me to vote you up. 😢
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Fergie - Thanks for your welcome response!

Yes Craig is fine, as we all have to be. There isn't much choice is there?

I'm glad to hear that your granddaughter has been accepted into a private school, although they cost an arm and a leg 😊

Regards, Melda
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Hi Melda,
I am so glad I could jog your memory to write this lovely account. What a phenomenal experience for Craig to have; such a lovely gesture on Pop's part.
I hope Craig is in a better space now, with not a lot of nagging worries.

Being a SAfrican, I totally understand and sympathize with your views on the labour and schooling situations. Our youngest granddaughter has already been accepted into a private school for next year (phew!)

Thanks for posting your heartwarming narrative. ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Argette - Thanks for your response. I really appreciate feedback!

Regards, Melda
Argette (guest)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Melda, I love your writing style, especially your side notes.

Yes, I think that was Pop.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Caz - Thanks for reading.

Yes I agree with the dove being the symbol of peace. Besides that, Craig has been a huge animal lover throughout his life. So appearing as a dove was perhaps the easiest way for Pop to make contact with him, knowing that Craig would not simply brush him off of his shoulder.

We believe that it was Pop comforting him and letting him know everything would be okay.

Nothing lasts forever as we go through life, everything is resolved in one way or another. At least, that is what I believe, otherwise why are we here?

Regards, Melda
Caz (342 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
Hi Melda... Sorry to hear of your son's troubles. We know the Dove is a symbol of peace, so I just wondered if perhaps Pop was trying to bring Craig 'peace of mind'! I hope everything turned out ok!
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-15)
Hi, Melda.

Yes, I was a bit confused. Thank you for clearing it up.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-15)
BeautInside - Thanks for reading! I am often amazed by the way we are contacted by passed loved ones and friends.

Things happen in life, the good and the bad. I suppose that's all part of our spiritual journey 😊

Regards, Melda
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2017-05-15)
Hi Melda, 😊

I am actually loving these accounts... Until Fergie posted her experience I didn't know that butterflies and birds could be messengers of a loved one who has passed away. Now that I'm aware of that I find it fascinating! It makes all sense that Pop would try to comfort you son Craig, and he found a beautiful way to do so... 😁
I truly hope everything is going great with you and your family now!
Sometimes we find these hardships (and others) along the way, but then we learn to overcome them and become stronger.

About the "flash" images, I know what you mean I get them every once in while. It might be something that haven't crossed my mind in years (or never) or somebody I haven't seen in years, and then all of the sudden na image pops into my mind out of nowhere. After a couple of days I usually find that person or come to know that what appeared in the image actually happened.

Just like trentinray, I am no psychic but it does happen. And I completly understand you!

Thanks for sharing this lovely experience!

Blessings. ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-15)
RANDYM - Thanks for your response.

I believe that if people from the other side want to let somebody know that they are there, they will find a means to do it. Pop made very certain that we knew that he was there!

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-15)
RCRuskin - Thanks for your response.

Perhaps I have confused readers by saying I see people, or events, in the corner of my left "eye". I didn't mean that I literally perceive them as a solid image. I mean in my "mind's eye" but it is a flash image, which occurs in the corner of my left eye. This happens mostly when my eyes are closed, not when I am walking around concentrating on everyday events. I have never actually "seen" Pop standing on my left side, it happens in my mind.

I hope I have put that into perspective for you!

Regards, Melda
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-14)
Hello Melda

It is extremely difficult for those living on the other side of death to communicate with most people on our side. Some are better at some things and others are better at others. Coming into dreams to communicate is one way. The fact that some on this side are more sensitive can help them
It sounds like that since Pop couldn't go directly to his own son he went through you.
It's good you were willing to be open and pay attention instead of "ignoring the signs" as I think a lot of people do all to often.
Even though your husband didn't feel anything I think your advice to sit quietly and listen was great
A lot of times that is all it takes

I did get quite a chuckle of the visualization of a ghost hitting someone over the head with a cricket bat. Lol What a great little cartoon panel that would make.

Enjoy your journey Pop

Randy
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-14)
Hi, Melda. Though the dream was not the focus of your story, I still find it interesting. "Pop" trying to tap his son on his shoulder, getting no where, but you pay attention, so of course he'll contact you: "Could you please pass on a message for me?"

I spent some time studying sensory perception, just regular senses, nothing fancy, and I no longer trust things seen in the corner of the eyes. The eyes gather visual clues which they pass to the brain where the clues are compared to known things and an image of the world is assembled.

Example, this happened to me about 1990. I was living in Rome, NY at the time but traveling weekly to Syracuse, NY. In Rome, the city buses were white, but Syracuse had blue buses. One afternoon, running errands for my high school (graduated in 1985 but continued to do volunteer work until 1995 when I went to grad school), I waited at a traffic light and saw, to my left, a Syracuse city bus. This made no conscious sense to me, so I turned to look. To my left, on the cross street, I saw a blue pickup truck idling next to a Rome city bus. My brain put these two things together into a bus that did not belong. 😆

May I please ask, next time you see something out of the corner of your eye, that you turn to look and note what is there? Not that I expect a ghost to be jumping up and down and waving arms, but that you could see the ghost more clearly.

And may "Pop"'s memory be eternal.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: