You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Pulled Out Eyebrows In Terror

Real Ghost Stories

Pulled Out Eyebrows In Terror

 

This is my first post to YGS. It has taken me a while to submit this story as I was not sure how to put it all together. I was very young when all my supernatural experiences began and it is difficult for me to write about occurrences which span a number of years of childhood horror and to keep it all as short as possible and to the point.

However I feel it is important that I start at the beginning so that readers will know where I am coming from, so to speak, bearing in mind the later stories which I would like to post. That said, I'll try to keep everything as coherent and concise as possible.

I lived with my parents, four sisters and brother in a fairly large double-storied house. I lived in that house until I was 14 years old. The two eldest sisters were half sisters, my father's daughters, not my mother's. To the rest of us kids of course there was no difference as they were there when we were born. My father was a widower when he married my mother. My father passed away when I was eight years old. I was the second youngest in the family. That is just a bit of background to let you know the circumstances under which I was raised. I definitely did not have a quiet and cossetted upbringing; it would have been impossible in a family that size!

Firstly, I totally accept that when I was toddler age much of my screaming at night was due to normal childhood reasons, things which I could not express such as feeling ill, thirsty or whatever the case may be. You know, the age when you cannot communicate your discomfort and mommy has to guess!

Also even after I could communicate, nightmares could at times have been the reason for my bloodcurdling screams. The term "bloodcurdling" in fact comes from my family members. I have no idea what I sounded like but I can believe it must have been pretty bad. Nevertheless I was always told "go back to sleep, it was only a nightmare", or "you imagined it".

Well now that I have finished the lengthy introduction (sorry about that), let me relate some experiences: I cannot give years or dates but from a very young age, perhaps four or so, I no longer believed the nightmare theory. I feel pretty certain that sleep paralysis was not involved either because I actually used to see faces peering at me and I heard footsteps around the house when everybody was in bed. I could move and believe me, I could scream! This did not happen on a nightly basis, nor can I say how regularly it happened at that age because quite frankly I cannot remember. Neither do I remember whether I was touched physically by any entity.

By the time I was plus-minus six years old I stopped telling my family about what I saw and heard. I also tried to stop screaming but every now and then I simply couldn't help myself and I screamed. Hats off to my family though, especially my mother, as I was never chastised for this. Then again, neither did I get much sympathy as they quite simply did not believe me. I must say it was a bit of an embarrassment when we had guests staying over, which happened quite often as we lived at the seaside, within walking distance from some really lovely swimming spots, especially for kids. "Shame, you know, D (me) gets very bad nightmares." End of story.

By this stage I was terrified of going to bed at night and when I did fall asleep it was purely accidental.

As mentioned, my father passed away when I was eight years old. One of the most horrific times of my life as I absolutely adored him. After this event the activity escalated. I started seeing more shapes, not simply faces looking at me. On a few occasions there were two ghosts, not in full bodily form but grey-white in human shape. One was taller than the other and I simply assumed that one was a man and the other a woman. Don't know why I thought that as I am quite sure I could not distinguish the gender of either. Also the poltergeist activity started. I could hear crockery being broken in the kitchen downstairs, cutlery thrown around, furniture being moved around. However, in the morning everything would be absolutely normal, nothing broken, everything in its place.

It was round about this time that I started pulling my eyebrows out. I looked a total mess. I had thick, very dark eyebrows, so try to imagine this, bald patches and bloody marks as I ripped relentlessly at my eyebrows waiting for the nightly entertainment to begin! My eldest sister eventually cured me of this. She was approximately 13 years older than I was. She was married, pregnant with her first baby and living in Port Elizabeth. Fortunately it was school holidays. She and her husband came to visit for a weekend. We lived approximately three or four hours' drive away. She simply took things in hand (as was her want) and told my mother she was taking me home with her for the rest of the holiday as obviously I needed some attention. During the holiday she made me promise that I would never do that to myself again, i.e. Pull my eyebrows out. Of course she did not believe that I saw or heard ghosts - nothing new about that. Needless to say I kept my promise to my sister and only plucked my eyebrows when I was a lot older.

I also believe I saw my father once and he was trying to talk to me - I saw his mouth moving but heard nothing. I was not frightened. This is quite funny actually. Somewhere in my little mind it dawned on me that he was speaking French. My father was not French but his father was. I don't even know whether my father could string a sentence together in French! Maybe a dream, maybe reality. At the time I thought it was real.

Now I want to relate the worst experience that I have ever had in my life. We had guests again but I honestly cannot remember which family members they were. The only reason I know we had guests is because I had to sleep on the spare bed in my sister's bedroom. Her bedroom was also upstairs and there was a door which led onto an L-shaped balcony. The door was open so it must have been sometime during the summer months. I was about 11 going on 12 at the time. Actually I hated that room, I found it dark and spooky even during the day. It was originally the master bedroom where my parents had slept but for some or other reason my mother moved out of the room and my sister moved in.

My sister was fast asleep. To this day it virtually takes a bomb to wake her up. Anyway I heard her bedside lamp cord knocking against her headboard for what seemed to be an endless period of time. Shortly after that the furniture on the balcony started moving around. I called her but she didn't wake up. Now remember I was awake, totally one hundred percent. The next thing the most horrible looking creature I have ever seen in my life came gliding through the door from the balcony directly towards me. I shall try to describe it as follows: It was short, it seemed to be looking me straight in the eye as I was lying in bed, although it seemed slightly hunched. It was broad and appeared to be furry. This creature was blacker than the dark bedroom and believe me it was almost black in that room. It had shiny red eyes and it gave the impression that it was smiling at me but not in a nice way at all. It was having a great time scaring the hell out of me. I do not remember seeing teeth although they might have been there. The face was almost like a snout. I cannot say for how long it stood there but it seemed like forever. I thought it wanted to kill me as I could not breathe. Only years later did I realise that I could not breathe because of the absolute terror that I felt. Then it started backing away, still facing me, out to the balcony.

You guessed it, another bloodcurdling scream and I think this time the most bloodcurdling scream they had ever heard from me. That was the only night my mother allowed me to sleep in her bed. I think she was beginning to accept that my life was not as normal as she would have liked it to have been!

There is more that happened in that house but will have to put it in a second post. This story has already become too long. (Please don't say "oh no, that's enough!") I hope I have not bored people to tears with this long post. The next one will be shorter, I promise.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Melda

Other hauntings by Melda

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melda, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Puthy (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-04)
geez boy I'm glad I ain't u I would've died of a heart attack by now!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
Jubeele - Yes that was certainly a nasty piece of work and I'm sure it's sole intention was to terrify me. Needless to say, it succeeded.

After that incident I never slept in my sister's room again. I would only go in there during the day if I had no choice and then I zipped in and out within seconds!

Regards, Melda
Jubeele (26 stories) (893 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
Melda, what a terrible time you had as a child. The loss of your father and how it must have made it worse when no one would believe you. One thing about the gremlin-like thing; it wanted to scare you, but didn't do anything else. It then backed away from you - maybe that is all it had the power to do?

I've looked up "Tokoloshe". Nasty thing; blamed for deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning when people burned fires inside their huts with no ventilation. The description of it reminds me of a book by Alan Dean Foster, "Into the Out Of". It's about a Maasai elder, with help of two others, stopping the wicked shetani from breaking through their dimension to destroy life in our world. Quite a good read if you're into sci-fi/fantasy.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-24)
Hello Biblio - I am truly honoured to receive your comment on my story and writing style. No, I am not going to apologise for apologising too much in my two stories!
I am very aware that you are an English teacher and librarian. I have been reading this site for a few years and feel as though I know some of the regulars.
Regards, Melda
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-24)
Greetings, Melda, and welcome to YGS.

You write in a clear, honest manner; you focus upon relevant details while excluding unnecessary description; and, most importantly, you are specific about your doubts in your recollection of events. I do have a minor critique (if you'll permit me to be an English teacher for a moment), which is that the flow of your account is interrupted by unnecessary apologies. You've got a great writing style, so be faithful to your current approach in recounting your experiences and write as many sentences as you need to tell your story clearly; we'll read it!

Looking forward to more of your experiences,
Biblio.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
trentinray - Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it. Yes I agree that some of my screaming could be put down to night terrors but BECAUSE of the events I experienced in that house. Everything in my story did actually happen but I could certainly have had night terrors on nights that nothing happened!
I don't actually have a problem with paranormal experiences anymore, nor do I have night terrors. I have experienced a number of paranormal events throughout my life but cope with them pretty well. Neither have I been plagued by evil entities since we sold the house.
I don't need therapy for the ghosts of my childhood now, that is all behind me. It would have helped if I could have had therapy or some sort of understanding at the time but unfortunately that did not happen for reasons I set out in my story.
I hope that you are coping with your night terrors at this stage. It really is awful to be so frightened.
Regards, Melda
trentinray (3 stories) (67 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
Melda- I just wanted to tie in to what zzgranny was pointing out. The screaming is also a condition and probably a form of night terrors, but I believe it is always worse in times of high stress. I suffer from it and wake my husband up with blood curdling screams that scare the crap out of him, I believe it may be tied to ptsd. But I just wanted to let you know you aren't along with that either. My only advise there, is to really deal with unresolved childhood traumas. In my case, I suppress my childhood memories, which is not a good practice. It makes it harder to deal with your traumas if you can't remember them in a conscious state, but your sub-conscious always remembers. I think that's why I scream at night, kind of like what are conscious mind pushes down our sub-conscious let's out. I haven't done any research about it, so these are my personal views. I definitely encourage you to speak to your therapist about it.
I wish you all the best
-trentinray
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-17)
Wow zzsgranny! I have just read the link you sent me. I thought I was bad but just WOW! Comparing myself to what others go through places me in the "tip of the iceberg" category.

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-17)
[at] Spiritwaiting

I would like to correct something in my reply to you. I have dreamed of my father occasionally but not in the spiritual sense. I put that very badly!

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-02-17)
[at] Twilight
Thanks for reading. I'll take heed of your advice. The problem is I don't expect people to read through a maze of irrelevant information to finally reach the point of the story!

[at] Zaruje
Thanks for your comments. I too was raised Catholic and raised my three children in the Catholic religion. They are no longer Catholic. I am at this stage a lapsed Catholic but still Christian. Having said that, it is difficult to knock the Catholic out of me. I think you will understand what I mean. Anyway that was the only experience I had with my father and he passed many years ago.

[at] Spiritwaiting
Thanks for your thoughts regarding the scary entity! Goblin could be correct. In fact when I was younger I was thinking along the lines of the African tokolossie. This is spelled in a number of ways but I believe the correct spelling is Thokoloshe. However I also believe that this is an African myth and does not really exist. Of course I stand to be corrected.
My father passed away many years ago and I could have been about nine years old when my experience with him occurred. I have never again even dreamed of my father.

[at] zzsgranny. Thank you so much! I was told of this condition when I saw a psychiatrist because of my anxiety disorder and of course I told her about the eyebrow pulling but only when she questioned me about my early life. The anxiety disorder isn't serious, I am not overboard and am on very mild medication for it. I have no doubt that this disorder was exacerbated by my childhood experiences.
As I said, my eldest sister "cured" me of the eyebrow pulling. She was more like a second mother to me than a sister and I had a very healthy respect for her. I would not have dared to disobey her! She was a lovely, religious, caring soul. She passed just over two years ago.
Thanks for the link. I'll certainly read it.

[at] legion777. I did receive your email early this morning but read it and replied before I opened this site. I said I was amazed to receive an email from you before my story had been posted. Well I was even more amazed to see that it had been accepted and was already here! I only submitted it about three days ago, so definitely was not expecting to see it up so soon.
legion777 (1 stories) (11 posts)
-2
7 years ago (2017-02-16)
Hi,i sent you a email just to let you know, I liked your true life story and was only saying that you are not alone and you have people here whom care and don't judge and I am one of them, so I put my hand out if you want to be friends then great, if not then its oka, but you can ask me anything if tou may need help or just a different point of view... After all I got 32 years with a paranormal and highly sensitive with spirits and intuned with nature and tha elements. Thanks for sharing
Blessed be...
A friend Tj
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-16)
Melda: I have a cousin who had this condition from the time she was very young through her early teens. She pulled out her eyebrows, eyelashes, and head hair to point where she was nearly bald. They had to get her therapy to get to the root of the problem. Maybe you'll find some comfort in knowing that there is a name for it: Trichotillomania. And as you found out, it can be "cured". One of the reasons for this condition is being in a negative environment. Makes a lot of sense in your case.

Here, I'll post a link:
Http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trichotillomania/home/ovc-20268509
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-16)
Melda,

Your childhood definitely not what most would call regular. Like yours mine to was filled with a lot of activity. Sounds of things being thrown, much like a crowd of people throwing things around.
Hearing voices calling my name, the feeling of being watched and chased after etc etc.

Now to the end part of your experiences.
What you have described I for some reason took an interest in. I have searched the internet, and have found what seems quite similar to what you have described.

I'm not an expert, but have done previous research, so to just refresh my memory I looked up a couple of things.

But what I came across was a bogey a type of goblin, that gets its kicks out of scaring children and adults.
They tend to live in the dark spaces of a home,attics,closets amongst other places.

I know its a long shot but that's what I came up with.

Now on you seeing your father after he passed.
I also have had an experience with something a lot like that, only diffrerence it was my Grandmother whom just passed.
She appeared to me in my living room, and was trying to speak to me, but no sound was coming out.
Long story short, she was trying to warn me about my sister and step-father they had started planning on putting my mother into a home, without my knowledge. I only found out, because my sister can't hold water even if she tried, she was conversing with me over the phone and it slipped out.

Have you ever tried speaking out loud, with the intent on it reaching him? Maybe ask him to tell you in a dream or something of that nature?

I'm sure hes looking over you, and can hear all that you say. 😊

Thank you for sharing
And by the way not long at all! Continue writing and posting them here.

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-16)
Wow melda I enjoyed reading your story because I kind of relate to it in a way. I was a scaredy cat when I was just little, but something happened that changes my parents belief in those things that scares me especially during the night. I hope I can share it to this site too hehe. But going back to your story, you saw your deceased father right? In our belief (roman catholic), if a deceased person appears before you, in dreams or in broad daylight, it means that they are longing for prayers. My grandmom told me that prayers are the soul's food, so maybe your father wants you to pray for him. I really hope that I can read more of your story!
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-16)
This was a good read. You shouldn't feel that it wasn't! And as far as how long it is, in my opinion, the longer, the better! So please don't feel the need to shorten up any other's. It's always good to tell as much detail's that you can think of! I look forward to reading your other one's, whenever you decide to submit them. But again, please don't feel the need to shorten up your other stories! As long as you're giving details, and staying on subject, the length of your story doesn't matter.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: