You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Pull My Eyebrows Out In Terror (2)

Real Ghost Stories

Pull My Eyebrows Out In Terror (2)

 

This is the continuation of my first story. If you have not read my first story please do, if of course you feel inclined to do so. It might put things more into perspective.

Fortunately, as explained in my previous post, by this time I had stopped pulling out my eyebrows but my fear levels remained more or less constant.

By this time my grandparents had moved into the house with us and my two older sisters (half sisters) had already left home and married. At the age of 12, after I had completed primary school, I was sent to a Catholic boarding school (convent) in a nearby town. I never witnessed anything paranormal at this school but make no mistake, they were waiting for me at home during the school holidays and the occasional weekend breaks.

What is strange is that during all this time nobody heard or saw the things that I heard and saw. My older sister "R" (six years my senior and my full biological sister) did eventually admit that she used to get "feelings" and that the cord of her bedside lamp would knock against her headboard. Needless to say, after the disastrous night that I spent in her bedroom (as explained in previous post), I never spent another night in that room and only entered it during the day if I had to.

So the poltergeist activity continued. The throwing around of cutlery and crockery in the kitchen, the moving of furniture etc which only I heard. I must add here that when my grandparents moved into the house the dining room became their bedroom. The lounge was large enough to accommodate the dining room furniture and the kitchen was big, with a large kitchen table, where we took most of our meals. My grandfather was a diabetic and had developed gangrene, which eventually cost him a leg and he could not manage constantly having to move up and down the stairs. The reason I am mentioning this is because their bedroom was right next to the kitchen. I could never understand how you could even attempt to sleep there without hearing that racket! I also could not understand how R could sleep in her bedroom leading onto the balcony without hearing the furniture there being moved around, let alone being visited by what I considered to be a "devil"! It quite simply did not occur to me that not everybody was open to these things.

My grandfather passed away and my grandmother became ill and senile. I was at boarding school when my grandmother's health really started deteriorating. My mom did not want to leave her downstairs on her own at night in case she decided to get out of bed and there was a possibility that she might injure herself. My mother and R used to take turns spending the night with her in her room. When I came home for the holidays (I think it was over Easter) I volunteered to sleep with Granny for a few nights. The first night I spent in her room I was awoken by her voice. I looked up and standing between the two beds was the figure of a woman. It was not a full apparition but slightly hazy. She had her hair up and wore a long dress. Of course I was shocked. I asked Granny who she was talking to and the woman disappeared. The mumbled reply I got was that it was her mother and that I had chased her away, or something to that effect. My mother also admitted to me that my grandmother had told her that her mother (my grandmother's mother) visited her at night. Shortly afterwards my grandmother passed away.

That was the last apparition I saw in that house, as far as I am aware. I suspected that I saw things out the corner of my eye at times but that could very well have been a trick of the light. The poltergeist activity however escalated. At times the lights in the house would switch on and off but only when I was there alone. Why on earth does that happen? Do they not want the other human residents to know what they get up to!?

One late afternoon/early evening over a weekend two of R's friends dropped by to visit her. She was out and they sat in the lounge and chatted to my mom and I. The next thing I heard a very loud bang emanating from R's bedroom, which was directly above the lounge. It sounded like a cupboard falling over. I almost jumped out of my skin. The friends and my mom looked at me as though I'd turned into something from outer space. I said to them "don't tell me you did not hear that". Well they had not. The two friends accompanied me upstairs and nothing was out of place. I must also mention that we did not have carpeting. The floors were all wood with scattered rugs, so nothing to dull the noise.

After my father's death I used to hear his footsteps walking from R's bedroom (which used to be the master bedroom when he was alive) to the bathroom. This was definitely my father, I knew the sound of his footsteps. Only years later did my mom admit that she also heard it. She had been in denial for so many years that I think she simply did not want to add fuel to the fire.

This is on a lighter note. Well it was not funny to begin with but we learned to live with it - all of us, even my mother. The mirror in the bathroom was on a chain above the washbasin. This mirror would sway back and forth and make a "zing" noise. Fortunately everybody witnessed this so I didn't feel so alone on that score!

The humour comes in here: R had a friend who lived across the road from us in a tiny flat (apartment) with her mother. I do not know what their living circumstances were in the flat but she had a boyfriend who would go and visit her over the weekends and he slept there. For some reason every Saturday afternoon he used to come and take a bath at our house. I will never forget this as long as I live. I was upstairs, doing whatever I might have been doing. Next thing I heard this loud gasp and the following thing the bathroom door flew open and the boyfriend came rushing out with only his towel wrapped around him, clothes clutched to his chest. He ignored me completely and went charging down the stairs. My mother saw him on his rush to the front door and asked him what had happened. He said to her in Afrikaans: "Thank you for allowing me to use your bathroom but I'll never set foot in this house again, it's haunted!" The mirror had done its thing while he was having a shave. We had a good laugh about that one for years! I suppose you would have had to have been there and known the person to appreciate the humour!

Well our stay in that house came to an end when I was 14 years old. That is a long story and nothing whatsoever to do with the ghosts. Strangely enough, I still have fond memories of the house because despite everything, it was home and even though I would not wish my ghostly experiences there on anybody, everything in my life was not just doom and gloom.

I promised in my previous post that this one would be shorter but unfortunately I don't think it is. Sorry about that!

Would love to read your comments.

Melda

Other hauntings by Melda

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melda, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-31)
Hi Melda!

I just happened upon this account and read both parts. My heart goes out to the 'child Melda' if that makes sense. Your experiences would be terrifying for any child. Except for seeing your great grandmother... How amazing! I'm glad they ended when you moved out, but definitely understand the connection to your childhood home. ❤

And yes, I did laugh picturing the friend running out in only a towel! 😁 Oh to be a fly on the wall!

Thank you for sharing your experiences, I truly enjoyed them 😊
Dee
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-01)
Jubeele - Thanks for commenting.

Yes the poor guy! As a family we were so used to that zinging mirror that eventually we took no notice of it. At one stage I actually thought that it was my father looking for attention. At least that was one thing that the whole family experienced 😆

Regards, Melda
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-01)
Spooky but funny too. The poor boyfriend running out in a towel - maybe something/someone was telling him to go use his own bathroom!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
Jamieqi - Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed my story. My childhood experiences were terrifying to me, probably because I was so young and didn't know how to handle them 😆

Regards, Melda
Jamieqi (3 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-04)
❤ Totally hooked on this story, from the first word in the first post to the last word in this one. You have an excellent way of telling what happened, cannot wait to read the rest of your stories.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-28)
Tweed - At my age I shouldn't be so naive! It seems I actually misunderstood you once again (no wonder my kids laugh at me) 😊 You "youngsters" always seem to be so much more clued up.

I don't believe everything I read or hear but don't expect to have the wool pulled over my eyes. Nevertheless I do normally tend to get a strong sense when something is off! After having read recent comments on the specific event - I don't know what to think.

Go well Captain Planet - I might in the near future be calling on you for assistance regarding some unsavoury beings causing a lot of pollution very close to where I live 😨

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Tweed - Wow, was I ever caught napping on that one! Always thought I was reasonably quick off the mark, lol!

Regards, Melda
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Hi Melda,

Sometimes, especially on the internet, it's important not to take everything seriously. Sometimes, especially on paranormal sites, it's important not to believe everything you read. Captain Planet is a phoney account with a unique twist, it's deliberately transparent.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-04)
Fergie - How great to hear from a fellow South African! I have read your stories and must admit that some of them moved me to tears but I loved them. You are one of those members that although I don't know you, I feel as though I almost do 😊. I have only become a member very recently so I couldn't comment on your experiences.

Big hug to your little granddaughter, she sounds charming. (See? I told you I read your stories!)

Thanks so much for reading my experiences and dropping a line. It is greatly appreciated.

May you too keep safe in SA.

Regards, Melda
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-04)
Hi Melda, I have just happened on your accounts, and read all three of them.

You have my sympathies for experiencing so many scary occurrences in your younger life. I can't imagine what it would be like to be so scared as a child.

I am extremely fortunate to never have seen any ugly or scary apparitions, though I have been scared by the feeling of "things" out there on a couple of occasions.

Thank you for your interesting, well written accounts. I am no expert on matters of this kind, so have no opinion or advice to give. I would love to read more of your experiences.

Stay safe, here in SA.

Best wishes,
Fergie
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
Hello trentinray. I have had a number of experiences since those days but nothing as bad. (Well, I don't think they were that bad).
Yes true, members of my family were in denial although I believe that most of the time they were genuinely not aware of all the activity. My brother is also rather sensitive but became so a little later in life than I did. However he can post his own experiences if he would like to do so. He is five years older than I am.
Yes the episode with the boyfriend was extremely funny. My mother felt very bad about it, even though she later laughed.
And yes, I am very pleased that my great-grandmother was there for my grandmother.
Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
Thanks Zaruje - glad you enjoyed it. Fortunately not all my experiences are creepy.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
Hello melda! I had fun reading this story the same as the first one. It's so good to read something that is not all spooky and creepy. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
trentinray (3 stories) (67 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
I am glad to hear you didn't have troubles after you moved out! Also, that you made peace with everything
I think some people, like your family maybe, refuse to admit that they have heard or seen anything paranormal, probably because on some level they aren't ready to handle it, or just refuse to believe. Just a thought, I don't know if it applies here.
The image of the boy running out in a towel was hilarious! Thank you for the smile. 😆
It was nice that your great-grandmother was there with your grandmother to see her to the other side. ❤
Thank you for sharing both your stories
Best wishes-trentinray

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: