You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Scare That Backfired (respect The Dead)

Real Ghost Stories

The Scare That Backfired (respect The Dead)

 

I grew up in York county, Virginia, less than a mile from where part of the revolutionary war was fought. The whole area has different stories about them. The older generation in my family is not religious but very superstitious, so they told us stories about people seeing things at different times of day and night. And how some people have vanished without a trace, or something made them resort to drug and alcohol abuse. I love a good story so I always paid attention. I was 19 I think and some of my college classmates had heard different stories from the area and joked about them. So I told them I could prove it, just didn't know how right then. My grandma (then my mom, aunts, uncles and older cousin) used to tell us, (exactly how they word it) " you don't f*** with the dead... At all." One fall night I was bored and the cool air made me want to do something outside. So I got my classmates together and decided to give them a ghost tour. At the time I lived with my uncle (my mom's youngest brother), he was very protective of me. He asked where I was going being it already dark, late and cold; I told him I was going to go scare the shiat out of my classmates. He reminded me of the warnings beat in my head by the olders of the family. I didn't listen, of course, we all met up and got into my jeep. The first stop was my other uncle's grave, I was named after him except for the middle initial. They didn't know that and his middle initial was not on his grave stone. As I walked them back to it there were no street lights at all; told them some BS about how some people don't know they're dead. The only light was my huge flashlight gun looking thing. When we get to it I show them the grave, I shined the light on it and there it was our name (my uncle and mine) and one of them freaks out and runs off into the darkness. We retrieved him, of course, I had a good laugh but I had one more place to show them. These were the actual trenches the colonists fought in during the battle of Yorktown. The olders told us never to go there day or night... I never went there cause my mom would kick my a** if she found out I went, no matter how old I was. We're walking out there, like I said no street lights at all whatsoever, not even moonlight. But I had my handy flashlight gun, but then we noticed 2 large black silhouettes. I assumed they were deer so I pointed the light at them, the light beam (I know sounds like DBZ) went right through. So one of the guys in our group was about to walk over and try to scare them off. It was then I noticed they were on 2 legs and was charging straight at us. I was like f*** this and started booking back to the car. My classmates followed me and the shadows were picking up speed. Even though they were running I guess, their movement made no sound at all. So the jeep is like another few feet away so yelled " if you trip you're f***ed, I'm not coming back for you." I'm a coward I know... The brave usually gets killed in the movies. The shadows were still advancing but thank God we all got in the car together. I was screaming, they were screaming and couldn't hear the beeps that would allow me to start the engine. Finally, some how I got it going and I peeled off. The crazy part was the shadows stopped right there at the road and I had parked on the other side of the road. It was like they were telling us what we were doing was disturbing and disrespectful to them. I know now why the olders tells us these stories, I thought of tell our kids those stories but we live far away from there... I may save them for a dark and stormy night. Word of advice don't take historic sites as a joke.

Other hauntings by Gigakhan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Gigakhan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

aedelberth (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-30)
if I were you, I would stop being scared of the dead and start being scared of the living!
Gigakhan (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-30)
No, this story was entirely true. Yes I did do some things in my teens that could have gone a lot worse.

Melda- sorry about the lack of paragraph structure. It won't happen again.

Spiritwaiting- yes I did, dumb teens do dumb things
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
Val - Yes, perhaps I worded that badly!

It just annoyed me that he decided to post a "joke", although I am not saying that he actually did not experience these events, and then decided not to participate in the comments because he "did not take it seriously", i.e. His ghost hunting trip!

Well I suppose we all get up to silly things when we are young.

I'm pleased that he did eventually decide to explain.

Regards, Melda
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
Melda,
I don't think Gigakhan meant he didn't take YGS seriously, but rather the graveyard, and the spirits took exception to it.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
Gigakhan - It might be a good idea to take this site seriously if you decide to post another account.

Most of us here have a pretty keen sense of humour but perhaps you've taken things a bit far! At least I'm pleased to hear that you now know better.

Regards, Melda
Gigakhan (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
Yeah true, I think why it happened the way it did was because I deliberately went out there as a joke and not take any of it serious. I know better now.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-24)
Redwolf - I have been telling myself the same thing for months! Perhaps I have a mind block on reading the "expectations" first but I want to kick myself each time I reply to a submission where the author will not participate.

I hope I've finally learned my lesson and these particular OPs won't even hear from me - no matter how interesting their stories might be 😆

Regards, Melda
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-24)
One of these days I am going to read the O/Ps expectations before reading the story. It will save me time if they won't join the conversation. I'll just post a comment that says since you are not going to join the conversation I will not read your story.

Regards
Red
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
I have lived very near to Yorktown all my life (and spent several years working for the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation) and I have been all over the battlefields in the dark - growing up, they were one of the best areas anywhere to look at the stars and I've always been a history nerd. Short of a few very minor possible sightings and things heard, I have never really had any significant experiences there and certainly never felt threatened by anything paranormal. Not to say the area isn't haunted but this story does lead me to the fence. If anyone needs me, I'll be up here on the fence with my glass of wine.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-21)
Argette - Perhaps your comment might prove to be a thorn in the butt for the OP and he'll put in an appearance to defend himself 😆

Regards, Melda
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-20)
Melda, I think it's a distinct possibility that the OP made the whole thing up.

Note to lurkers and future posters: If you can't interact with other commenters, I will not comment on your stories.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-20)
I thought this was funny, the experience definitely backfired!

I'm sure granny went wandering out there for a scare too when she was younger. Maybe ask her if she's been out there herself or if she just was told not to go there. You may get some interesting stories to compare with your own.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-20)
Oh flippin' hell, I've been had again!

When will I ever, ever, learn to read the "expectations" of the poster?

Wasted time and effort again 😠

I'm very pleased that you didn't waste your precious time editing this person's writing Val!

Regards, Melda
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-20)
Yes, agree with Melda! I realize your work as a moderator is done in between work and life, Val (and others).

Maybe set some standards for submissions? If posters can write, they can read.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-20)
Val - I'm sure that everybody understands that sometimes this sort of thing will happen. At the end of the day it is the author's responsibility and by the way, I think you're a very good mod!

At least I don't doubt that this particular OP has now realised the error of his writing style 😆

Regards, Melda
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-19)
Argette (and all),
I do apologize for the lack of paragraphs. I edited this particular story just shortly after 3 AM prior to going to work. As much as I'd like to blame the 'witching'/'devil's hour' for the poor job of seeing it as a wall of words, I can't. I simply erred, clicking the wrong button. Quite often, we do send poorly written submissions back for 'fixing', or fix them ourselves.
Again, I do apologize for the vexation this has caused.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-19)
Could the site moderators possibly insert paragraph spacing in these wall-of-text submissions? Or even reject them, and ask the poster to fix and resubmit?

It would be much appreciated.
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-18)
I am cross eyed reading this...
One advice like everyone else here, please do respect the dead, PLEASE! 😠

I guess you already learnt your lesson 😉

E.Lynx
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-18)
Interesting story, but hard to read because it all ran together. I second Melda's comment.

I also have to echo Melda's advice: Respect the dead.

Having said that, welcome to YGS. Stick around!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-18)
Gigakhan,

Interesting and fascinating read here.

Elders know a little something about the history of places. Most likely from experiences passed down.

The deceased sometimes tend to protect the places they are in. And if the place you went to are in fact (not saying at your lying), has been a war zone, yeah I understand why they would react that way. Spirits tend to know the intentions you have.

So I'm sure and it sounds like you have most defintely learned your lesson the hard way.

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-18)
Gigakhan - First off, please use paragraphs! Being faced with a page full of words and no paragraphs, is highly off-putting!

I would suggest that you follow the advice you were given by your family, don't be disrespectful and taunt the deceased 😐

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: