You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Vision By The Fireplace

Real Ghost Stories

Vision By The Fireplace

 

33 years ago, my parents bought a new built house when I was 3. They had 2 more children, and still live there to this day. My parents and us 3 kids lived there happily, its been a great family home. I don't think its haunted (and am quite a skeptical person). But...

This is an account my sister told me... To this day it fascinates me.

One evening, my sister invited a friend round. They were in the living room, chatting, catching up. The living room is a good size, with sofas against the walls either side and an oak table in the middle. TV in the corner and a lovely big open fireplace at the end in the centre.

It was quite late at night, and as they were chatting and catching up, my sister and her friend stopped mid conversation and one said to the other 'do you see that?' and apparently, they could both see a figure standing to the left of the fireplace. He just appeared. They could describe what he was wearing (cord trousers and a maroon jumper) And as they looked up, my sister said she recognized him to be our Granddad. She then said he just simply vanished.

They were obviously shocked at this point, and pretty much called it a night.

The thing is they both saw this. I have a lot of questions myself and am gutted I didn't 'see' this as not only would it have been nice to see my Granddad once more (he passed about 20 years ago and this occurred soon after) but the fact that they both saw a figure... I just can't get my head around this.

Any thought or questions appreciated, thanks.

Other hauntings by ForceAwakens81

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ForceAwakens81, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-05)
[at] AugustaM...sorry.
I was addressing it to you three because you three are quite knowledgeable on paranormal.
I didn't imply that you stated anywhere that it is an intelligent or residual haunting.

I was just asking a doubt.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-02)
ForceAwakens81 - How fortunate for your sister to have seen her grandfather! He might very well have been right next to you at times when you simply were not aware of him.

I have seen a number of supernatural entities, some good, some bad but never the ones I want to see, ie beloved passed relatives. I see them in my dreams and in my mind but never in reality. When I was about nine years old I thought I saw my deceased father but thinking back, I'm not sure whether it might have occurred in a dream.

Don't be baffled by the appearance of your grandfather - love and life goes beyond the grave 😊

Regards, Melda
ForceAwakens81 (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-01)
Thanks for the comments, I do welcome ideas about this as it still baffles me. He didn't spend time at the fireplace in life as my grandparents rarely visited us- it was always us as a family of 5 doing a fortnightly visit every other Sunday to their home (for the day). My Grandparents were so very kind, I miss them dearly. They died quite a few years ago, but it fascinates me that my sister was randomly enjoying an evening with her friend at home when they both saw him simply appear... It does help on the days I miss family that have passed that maybe there is a more to this life than we realise
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-01)
AzraelX, was your comment meant for another story? I never spoke to whether this was a residual haunting in my comment on this story - my only comment was in reference to the stylistic layout of the print on this page. If it is just a general question, well - I can only truly speak for myself but the best I can do is draw from the information presented and attempt to articulate the conclusion that seems most plausible to me in a way that is as academic and free from proselytization as possible. Granted every now and then I just get a hunch or a nudge about certain stories that causes me to feel quite strongly about my conclusion but, at the end of the day, I can't ever say that I truly 'know' with 100% certainty what really went on in any account - none of us can. All of my conclusions are suggestions and I do try to make that clear with language such as 'perhaps', 'maybe', etc.

In this case, in terms of the residual vs sentient haunting, I think a lot hinges on whether the grandfather spent a great deal of time around the fire place in life - as the OP did not indicate that the grandfather's residence was in the home, I tend to doubt it. In my mind, for a residual haunting to occur, the activity in question must have either happened over and over (like a watchman's nightly beat) or have been quite traumatic (a shooting for example). This just doesn't fit that criterion for me. I honestly think this could be classed as a visitation - the spirit of a loved one coming round soon after death for a final look in and good bye.

I hope all of that made sense and didn't sound angry - I have had a lot of caffeine this morning and it can make my writing sound aggressive and pedantic. Apologies if that's the case - it wasn't intended! ❤
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-01)
[at] AugustaM & RANDYM & sds

A question - how can you classify based on an apparition that it is an intelligent haunting?

If the grandpa's spirit is checking on his family it is an intelligent haunting.

If the grandpa just appeared there, then couldn't it be that it is a residual haunting, since he never influenced anything in the room or surroundings?
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-24)
Hi ForceAwakens81, I also had doubt when I read it the first time like Revajane and AugustaM.

I feel that your granddad is keeping an eye on the family. It is not uncommon that the loved ones visit even after their passing on.

About a year ago, I also had a similar experience just outside my friend's house. My friend, her husband and myself, we all saw an apparition. Want to write about it. I would do sometime, as of late, I have not been visiting the site frequently.

Thanks for sharing ForceAwakens81.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Force81
Welcome and thanks for sharing

Here's a thought
It sounds like he may have wanted to look in on your sister and the conditions were right where he was able to be seen by them.
That said he may have looked in on you many many times but you were not able to detect him

It happens much more than the living know that their loved ones are right there in the room with them. We just aren't aware of it

Regards
Randy
ForceAwakens81 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
I re-read that back and it does look like 3, but is 33 years ago - thank you for your comments x I told my sister I had post this so she may have more details...
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Hi ForceAwakens81,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think this was your granpa paying a visit one last time. 😊

Revajane- I guess it was 33 years ago, there is a bigger 3 in the square and that's always the first letter, or I this case, digit in the narration. 😊

Blessings.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Re-read, Revajane, the first large 3 is a 'dropped cap' - making 33:) To be fair, my eye missed the dropped cap the first time I read the sentence too:)
Revajane (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
"3 years ago, my parents bought a new built house when I was 3. They had 2 more children, and still live there to this day."

Did you mean this happened 3 years ago?

This is very confusing to the reader because according to this sentences you would only be 6 years old.

BTW it does sound like Granddad was just checking up on the family. As much as we would like we don't always get that clear of a message that our loved ones are watching over us. Take comfort in that because it is a blessing so few receive.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: