You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleeping Paralyzed: Horrible Dreams And Visions

Real Ghost Stories

Sleeping Paralyzed: Horrible Dreams And Visions

 

My name is Britney and I live in a very historical town called Upland in PA. I live very close to the site of The Pusey House which was owned by Caleb Pusey and was a plantation. All of the houses (including mine) surrounding the plantation are very very old, build in the late 1800's to early 1900's. They all have spiral staircasing, hardwood floors, and are just very very old. I mention all of this because, before moving into my father's house a year ago, I have never experienced any sleep paralysis, night terrors, or visions. Almost nightly now, I go through some sort of sleep paralysis that causes me to get no real sleep.

I noticed my "scary dreams" about a month or two after I moved into my dad's. I shrugged them off, and blamed the occurrences on my medication. I switched sleeping meds and the dreams went away... For awhile. The content of these dreams was always negative in nature and almost always had something to do with spirits or ghosts or things of the paranormal. Again, I told myself these things were probably happening because I watch too many ghost shows.

It wasn't until maybe 6 months ago that I started experiencing something completely separate from my nightmares. It wasn't until I researched it that I found out that what I was going through was called sleep paralysis. Contrary to what most people experience (the feeling that someone or something is "sitting" or "pushing down" on them), I don't really feel paralyzed. I'm conscious that I'm unable to move, but it doesn't really bother me. And I don't get the sensation that someone is pushing me down or making it hard for me to breathe. Anyway, it's important to note that I sleep with earplugs and an eye mask every single night.

The sensation usually happens right before I wake up. I will get an intense "vibration" that starts in my ears and travels down to the rest of my body. While these vibrations are happening, I'm usually having a vision/feeling that things are scurrying around me, or that someone is in the room, or hearing footsteps, radios, TVs, static, or people having conversations that I cannot make out. The feelings I experience during this are fear and anxiety. Sometimes I will have "visions" that I'm asleep, but I'm dreaming that I'm looking at myself sleep, but there are paranormal entities in the room with me. These experiences only happen in my father's home. Only once has it happened somewhere else... I was sleeping at my stepmother's home, alone. I've been there a million times and have never "felt" anything weird.

It is only as of late that I've felt that a presence was with me while I'm at the home alone. So I was trying to fall asleep, and was restless the whole time. I eventually fell into a SP state and saw a vision of the room, with a tall man with dark features standing in front of the bathroom doorway. He was telling me to wake up and, that's exactly what I did. I asked my stepmother if she has ever seen or felt the presence of this man and she said no. That was the only time I've ever actually SEEN an entity. Normally I just feel the presence.

These episodes were happening around 4-5 times a week. It was only until I purchased some black tourmaline and black obsidian that they diminished. Black tourmaline protects against negative energy, and I sleep with that under my pillow. Black obsidian absorbs negative energy, and I wear it in the form of a ring on my finger every day all day. I also sage my home and my bed frequently. All of these things combined have not eradicated, but have diminished my experiences.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pbeters, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
I wonder if what you are experiencing is crossing into the territory of lucid dreaming. Night paralysis doesn't usually last so long, in my experience?
Blackmoonmage20 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
Ohmygosh! We totally have the same experience... I mean at sleep paralysis. It's like... Your mind is working and alive but you can't even move your body. It's like that right?:D I really hate it when that happens... It totally panicks me. 😨
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Your case actually sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis and hypnogogic/hypnopompic hallucinations... Which are more common than you might think. I actually experienced it myself this morning before I got up, although they are no less disturbing.

When I experience sleep paralysis, I am awake and aware of what's happening despite the fact that I can't move my body. Everything of what you described has happened to me and, while, it's annoying and frightening, it's not dangerous. Same goes with the visions and auditory sounds. For example, this morning, I had trouble getting up because every time I closed my eyes, for just a moment, I would hear things in my room. Eyes open, sounds stop. Eyes close, sounds reappear, like scratching or something or someone moving around in my room. Your vision could have been, possibly, a vivid dream. I've had plenty where I think I'm awake and going about my morning routine, but then I find I'm still asleep.

You mention that you're on medication. May I ask for what? Is it to help you sleep? Since you changed your meds, it's possible that some of what you're experiencing is a delayed reaction to the medication. I'm only suggesting that as a possibility.

Regardless, what you seem to be experiencing is not in itself paranormal. Perhaps you could change your eating habits before you go to sleep or spend time meditating to clear your mind. Obsidian, tourmaline, and sage will do wonders to give you ease of mind, but they may not actively stop the paralysis. Still, you do have the power to stop these night terrors. Find confidence that you will. I wish you the best.
User1690 (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
Hello!

I agree with SpiritWaiting, sounds a lot like an Out of Body Experience, these can be very beneficial. Next time it happens, my suggestion is rather than wake up, Make something happen. Want a weapon to defend yourself from devious entities? Simply think of it (Be specific too), want to fly off somewhere? Simply think of it and it will happen. Be aware too, focus! Lack of focus when having these experiences is when you can loose control of them. When your having these out of body experiences, I have learnt that your actually in another realm, the Astral realm. This realm is heavily thought-based and will respond to your commands/requests.

My suggestions and information comes purely from my own experiences, so do with it what you wish:)
Vikstal (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
Sounds like a regular sleep paralysis. Nothing paranormal.
da12btrun4real (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
When I read your story I was amazed because I often experience very similar events! For the most part, I have gone through the same horrible feeling of being held down in my sleep. When this does happen I too seem to be in a dream state however I am very aware of being held down by my throat. I can see and sense something very evil and powerful. I have no idea what it is or why. I will try to scream and struggle but it can't be heard. Eventually I will fully wake up in horror. This has happened quite a few times. I am not ivolved with any black arts and I actually am firm believer in Christ. What do you think is going on? I have studied Wicca and a think the sage and obsidian are good ideas.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
I think this may not be paranormal, at least for the most part. The things you're describing sound to me like they could be the results of exposure to (fairly mild levels of) infrasound. It could be generated by a number of things including: heavy equipment, church bells or a large pipe organ, ocean waves, or slight earth tremors. Because it happens at night, though, I would guess the most likely cause could be a neighbor (it need not be a near neighbor --these sounds can travel for miles) with a powerful sub woofer.

Where in the house is your bedroom located? Is your bed against a wall? Have you tried moving it to another location in the room?

If I'm right, and this is just a wild guess, it would explain why your crystals aren't getting rid of it. Also, the experience at your step-mother's could have been a nightmare triggered by the stress. As for the man who told you to wake up, well, maybe he was a helpful spirit.

You can read more about infrasound at WWW.lowertheboom.org
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
pbeters,have you ever heard of out-of-body experience? Thats where you can see yourself and surroundings. Keep the sage goung. It sounds like your doing an excellent job, keeping yourself protected. The other spirits may be trying to just let you know there around, when you have that out of body experience. There will be many others here that will comment, and help you to figure all this out. Great story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: