You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Three As One? Angel Of Death?

Real Ghost Stories

Three As One? Angel Of Death?

 

I woke at perhaps 2am one night about 5 years ago, got up to get some water and returned to bed. I was sitting up, but there was a figure in our bedroom doorway. I thought one of our kids was coming in - perhaps not feeling well. But it was not one of our kids.

The figure became clearer, and it was a female in jeans and had a black hooded sweatshirt on, the hood covering most of her face. It of course spooked me, but she looked up and her eyes were black. So I was surprised as well as spooked. I wasn't expecting that.

And as soon as I began to say (think loudly) "time for you to go", her form became the grim reaper. It was much taller than she had been and was just standing there as well. So though I was shaking by then, I began to say "what is your purpose, or its time for you to leave".

But it then changed into an even larger form, but this was an angel. It was huge. Obviously 'etheric' or what term one would use when an angel is 15ft tall and one can see its form to the tip of its wings through the doorway and ceiling. It, however, wasn't spooky- just very big. Glowing a bit, though I don't recall the color of it. I did hear 'Azreal' over and over. I was not familiar with this name. This time I simply stared but was still surprised by it all. It faded soon.

I am wondering if all 3 represented the same thing; a spiritual being who helps a soul transition from life into death. Odd experience.

I will respond to thoughts (comments etc) as I get quiet times for myself, due to husband's health condition at the moment... Thank you!

Other hauntings by ShySgaile

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ShySgaile, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ShySgaile (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-28)
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments! I appreciate each, and think them through in quiet time~ (I don't want anyone to feel their thoughts were for not; when I get time to read them through, I do and respect and consider each!) ~ShySgaile:)
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
Maybe with those three forms it was simply trying to show you that angels don't always look the way you would expect so you should always keep an open mind:-)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
You ask this...

"The black eyed female is still what gets at me. Who/what/why is/was she?"

Perhaps you are trying to read to much into it... This entity may have chosen that appearance so that you knew... Or at least had a visual reference that it was female, the solid black eyes a hint that she was 'otherworldly'.

You mention that this happened about 5 years ago? Did you know of your Husbands condition prior to this experience or did you find out afterwards?

Once again I point out that 'Death' can simply represent change, major changes is some cases, which your Husband is going through... Discovery of a tumor, it's subsequent removal and recovery come with some lifestyle changes for sure. So timing may be everything when it comes to this experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
ShySgaile (2 stories) (11 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
My goodness, I appreciate so much feedback! Its a little tough (my fault for joining a new online site when lots of health stuff going on w/husb)...but everyone taking time and thought of my post!

If I had time to respond to each one... But I certainly (like now, everyone is asleep and husb having calm rest... Who knew AFTER brain tumor surg., that seizures happen as brain slowly heals - well in his case as it was fist sized tumor) am reading and respecting everyone's comments~ know that:) for sure.

I may have written the experience sounding like a cement block, but yes - was extremely confusing and upsetting at the time. Oddly, today I found an old journal- to me it seems like 5 years ago, not 10+ years since, for whatever reason I experience things spiritual/paranormal; whatever label one chooses to use for them... Its been more than a decade now?

But re reading what I wrote in 2007... I recall the dreams or experiences... I read a dream I'd had- back then of my husb, in editing studio (we r self employed, ad agency)...but editing a commercial for client... In the dream, studio was suddenly outside, green hills around and a giant angel figure rose high from ground to clouds; yet there was no name, and it was black and a dark purple color!?

Odd I opened to that journal entry... As my husb felt well enough to get into studio last week, editing for client - but had a seizure (mild), so I brought him home, and studio editor (known him for 20 yrs~) finished up project. Not to say some rather dark angelic (didn't have bat wings or devilish horns) being was looming over studio last week-but husb was certainly frustrated and sad, to need to leave-unlike life b4 tumor, where he could be focused and feel fine for 10 hours if needed.

Thats drifting again from what I posted, but I feel everyones input has its relevance of the 3. I do say (excuse, Iam tired, but want to respond, forgive my ramblings) though- of the 3, it was a personal as well as surprising experience. Personal in that I was blank at first then definitely felt fear,curiosity,panic, and confusion but sort of 'accepted' I was supposed to see the 3? I didn't and don't take such experiences with 'whatever', attitude.

The black eyed female is still what gets at me. Who/what/why is/was she? Your input assists me pondering her, and the other 2.:)
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-24)
Maybe the lack of a fear response in the author was completely intentional - maybe the spirit did not want to frighten her. I get the feeling that it appeared to help her come to accept her abilities and not fear them. If "Death Herself" can show up in your bedroom and prove 'herself' to be nonthreatening... What need have you to fear any spirits of mere former mortals?
Tasfia_Farah (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-23)
Dear ShySgaile,

I didn't want to comment just read and pass on to the next as usual but couldn't stop myself when you mentioned the name "Azreal". In Islamic term the Angel of death is called "Azrail".The task of the angel is to take the soul away to grave when a Muslim dies. I don't know whether you heard "Azreal" or "Azrail". Just shared my thought. Don't misjudge me.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-22)
Greetings, ShySgaile, and welcome to YGS.

I'll start with a point of diction, if you don't mind, to let you know, "a spiritual being who helps a soul transition from life into death" is called a "psychopomp." I mention this because I've always thought that the word sounds like it is incomplete, rather like the sudden death of an individual whose life leaves loose ends, unclear intentions, and unfinished projects.

Yours is not the first account I've read of an angel being 15 feet tall, yet visible through the walls and ceiling. I remember reading a religious biography [possibly a collection of short religious biographies] in the mid-to-late 1980s, in which a single chapter focused upon one man having converted to the "Pentecostal/Charismatic" Christian movement, but still feeling some doubts about his faith. He wrote about being in his flat (apartment) and being visited by a pair of angels whose belt-buckles were *in* his living room, but he was able to see both entities through (beyond?) the limitations of the walls. I remember that the angels needing belt-buckles struck me as odd, but he later identified them as part of the baldrics from which their scabbarded swords hung. He claimed that the angels were filled with the glory of God's purpose and he was only able to crawl about on his stomach while the angelic presences were there.

As for the physical appearance of the "Angel of Death," the "Grim Reaper" is an anthropomorphic representation that goes back to the Black Death/Bubonic Plague of the 1300s. However, the idea of an embodiment of death is identified as "The Destroyer" or "The Angel that Brings Death" in the Jewish Bible as the last of the plagues visited on Egypt to persuade Pharaoh to allow the Jews to leave Goshen: "For the Lord will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the Lord will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you" (Exodus, 12:23. King James Version).

[Personally, I prefer the retrained elegance of Carlos Schwabe's imagery in his 1895 painting,"Death of the Gravedigger" and the impish humor of Death, the little sister of Dream, from Neil Gaiman's tenure as writer of the D.C. Comics' "Sandman" series. The subversion of the reaper archetype in Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" Novels is always entertaining; mostly because he likes people but is completely mystified by them.]

Rook's explanation of Azrael (or "עזראל") is a good clarification (Tip o' my hat to Rook!), though the common images have Death wilding a scythe (for reaping) as opposed to a sickle (for cutting & bundling).

The idea of a shape-shifting entity going through multiple permutations suggests a few ideas to me: 1) a negative spirit attempting to frighten/awe you tries various disguises; 2) a message/warning akin to the vision of the car accident outside your son's school; 3) an angel demonstrating the seriousness/importance of its symbolic task.

In response to your (probably rhetorical) question, "I wonder... What is more important; the feeling one gets, symbolism, something that has meaning in an over all picture of a persons life-at the time, or the spelling of an angel's name, the exact height of an apparition" I'd suggest that the twinned effects of your feelings at the time of the event and the symbolic nature of the entity's behavior/attributes are of very high importance. As many have pointed out on YGS over the years: "Go with your gut reaction!"

Best,
Biblio.
ShySgaile (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-22)
Thank everyone for your input! I just wrote a detailed reply/comment...but hit something by accident (Iam using my phone)...and lost the whole thing, darn!

Oh well, perhaps it affords me time to reread everyone's thoughts, and to comment less lengthly, another time around!

I respect everyone taking time to comment, and will too, again (think I will copy my comment this time before posting, in case I erase it again by mistake! Oof! TGIF;)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-21)
ShySgaile,

In Ritual 'Magic' Spelling and Form can be 'everything'. 😲

ANYWAY...

You were wondering this...

"I am wondering if all 3 represented the same thing; a spiritual being who helps a soul transition from life into death."

Please know I was not trying to be an 'A$$' with the spelling correction, just pointing out that the Name you heard is actually associated with (in some teachings) an Angel (Arch Angel in some circles) and that this Angel is represented as being Female and is considered the Angel of Death. So for you to experience an apparition that changed from a Black Eyed Teenaged girl, into a Reaper and from there into an Angel seems pretty relevant to me.

Seeing as 'Death' can represent 'CHANGE' as well as 'Physical Death'. You may wish to examine what was happening to you (or with-in your Family) at the time of this event... Anyone facing MAJOR changes facing you? I mean 'Life Changing' decisions; such as Change of Jobs, Moving, Getting Pregnant, Separation or Divorce, Marriage... The list goes on and on. This may have been a manifestation of your own nerves considering a situation like that.

OR

Did a loved one actually Pass On just after or perhaps 'during' your experience?

(My gut says that this was related to a Status/Situation change rather than a Physical Death but only you can really answer that.)

When all is said and done the answer seems to be yes, just keep in mind transitions in our lives do not always mean Physical Death. They can be the 'END' of one 'period' of our lives as another begins.

As far as getting to the 'POINT' of 'your' experience when you submit it for publication... Sometimes the small details, how you felt, how the apparition made you feel... Even 'It was a dark and stormy night' can have bearing on what you experienced and can help all the members here on YGS when they offer input/advice/help/opinions, (Just Saying 😁) which is something we enjoy doing.

So thank you for this submission, I hope there are more to come.

Respectfully,

Rook
ShySgaile (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-21)
Hello Rook-
Thank you for your input.

Female in doorway semi solid. Not physical.

Reaper semi solid.
Angel of death, more transparent. Glowing though.

Scared yep. Seen these types of things before, yes.

Explanation why? I don't know. I don't get high or drink into oblivion.

Everyone say one says I sound muted, non reactive. But I thought I was supposed to get to the point when posting an experience. (Dream if you'd prefer saying. Though I had gotten up to use the bthrm-so wasn't in the sheets yet-thus sitting up)

I am learning a lot from comments and opinions here. I appreciate that.

I wonder... What is more important; the feeling one gets, symbolism, something that has meaning in an over all picture of a persons life-at the time, or the spelling of an angel's name, the exact height of an apparition.

Or how it may affect my husband since he isn't to partial to ghost or 'paranormal' things. That I deal with things myself since its upsetting to him, and our kids.

Pick it apart or observe from a distance. What to learn from experiences?

Regards~
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-20)
ShySgaile,

Pardon my questions...

You stated:

"I was sitting up, but there was a figure in our bedroom doorway. I thought one of our kids was coming in - perhaps not feeling well. But it was not one of our kids.

The figure became clearer, and it was a female in jeans and had a black hooded sweatshirt on, the hood covering most of her face. It of course spooked me, but she looked up and her eyes were black. So I was surprised as well as spooked. I wasn't expecting that."

How 'solid' did this 'female' appear? Your description (quoted above) is 'text book' BEK (Black Eyed Kid (s)). With one exception, they tend to knock on front door or car windows in an attempt to get you to 'let them in'. You mention being 'surprised and spooked' did you ever think this was a real individual and try to wake up your Husband or reach for the phone to dial 911? If not what about 'her' caused you not to do one or the other?

Next question:

Have you sense researched the 'name' you heard...

"I did hear 'Azreal' over and over. I was not familiar with this name."

If you are still not familiar with that name: Azrael (correct spelling...😉) is often identified (according to Biblical Hebrew) with the Angel of Death. The Hebrew name translates to "Help of God", "Help from God", or "One Whom God Helps". Considered to be one of the Arch Angel's.

Often described as female or feminine looking.

I do find it interesting that 'without' knowing/being familiar with the name 'Azrael' that this 'apparition' started as a female in a hooded sweatshirt with 'black eyes', changed to the 'grim reaper' and then into an Angel. (Things that make you go 'Hummmm')

Of course it could be Gargamel's Cat from the Smurf's whom he enchanted in a attempt to catch those little blue creatures...😲

I'm with Manafon... Me thinks you had a very vivid dream...

Respectfully,

Rook
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-20)
ShySgaile--Thanks for responding. You don't seem completely convinced you were awake for the three in one vision you saw either. You wrote, "I do dream a lot. But Iam awake in some experiences." The way you use the word "some" hints that this might have been a vivid, intense dream. You definitely seem receptive to having paranormal experiences (and you should share your experience with the apparition of the soldier) but this particular event sounds like your mind creating a vision.

Of course unusual visions that leave the person who witnessed them scratching their heads afterwards occur too. You wrote in your reply to me, "I just want to know what, why and how this is part of my life." Having read hundreds of people's encounters with apparitions, at least half have no consequence on the person's life who experienced it. In other words, they see an apparition of someone repeating an action from when they were alive--walking down the hall, sitting in a chair etc. Commonly the only way seeing an apparition is part of your life is that you were lucky enough to see an apparition.

As for what a girl/grim reaper/15 foot angel might mean I wouldn't know.
ShySgaile (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-20)
Hello Manafon1-
Iam not new to experiences I don't completely understand, or why I even have them. I do dream a lot. But Iam awake in some experiences.

At some point I will share of a soldier who clearly was standing next to my chair- and yes, scared the wits out of me... But did have closure in that experience. I was able to look up what 'words I heard' (believe me I wrote it all down... Name, birthday, birthplace) . I take none of this lightly and when things began 'happening' (at me, it seemed, I did not want any of it at all- I hated scary movies and such until my mid 30's!)...I did not sit back on my heels. I researched anything to do with health, stress etc before tip toeing to more spiritual books.

Then emailed several authors (Sophy Burnham being a patient kind woman, kept in touch with me - which helped... A lot. She is quite grounded and that's what I needed/wanted.) I am not interested in ghost hunting. I just want to know what, why and how this is part of my life.

And reaper along with the female, and angelic presense has been one experience I often ponder... Now without the fear I had at the time.

Thank you for your thoughts of my husband, it has been a journey for sure. Day at a time, moment at a time. He has a strong will~ and at this point getting physically stronger too. Quite a life changer for us all~*~
ShySgaile (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-20)
Hello Melda-
What I didn't include is for several years before, I had experienced some things... That I figured something was suddenly wrong with me- though nothing changed; same house, mom of 2, busy household... Except 'seeing' or knowing things just blurted into my life. Yes, saw Dr, read books on health and eventually - books on being 'sentient' (I don't prefer or claim to be psychic).

So- 'reaper' did look reaper. With its sickle. I gave up waking my husb by that time, since he dislikes ghost or spirit type things; though once in a while something I experience... He will suddenly wake up and comment 'is someone in here? One of the kids?' I usually now say-'awe, its all good, go to sleep.'

Ooh, I wrote to the point and summarized, but wow has my body and mind been through a ringer. I lost weight, had an ulcer, insomnia... Thats night experiences. Day is no different-except being occupied by work, driving, its busy, mind occupied. If I nap-or try to have some quiet in my day I sense presenses.

But what good is it all? Once it was helpful... I was doing dishes before picking my son up from high school, and sort of pictured a red convertible smashed head on into a tree. My phone rang a few minutes later; my son said to wait for a bit- lots of traffic backup... Someone head on into a tree in front of his school. I got there as they towed a red convertible mustang off.

So, I don't take things 'LA Dee dah', as how I may have come off as in my post... I just wrote what I saw, and have thought over it for several years now. (sorry I may have drifted from what you inquired of in your comment!) I will re read it again!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-20)
ShySgaile - Whew, that's rather mind-boggling!

What did the grim reaper look like, or rather what made you think that it was the grim reaper? Was it the commonly known scythe-bearing, hooded figure? Okay I realise there will be various descriptions but that is the image which springs to mind, personally speaking.

And then the massive angel.

For how long do you estimate this entire incident lasted?

Did anything untoward happen after you saw these apparitions?

I reckon I'd have had a heart attack after that lot!

Regards, Melda
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-19)
ShySgaile--You say this incident occurred five years ago. I don't know, your reactions seem bizarrely muted for what would be for just about anyone else rather mindblowing. It would seem an immediate reaction to seeing initially a girl in a hoodie with black eyes followed in quick succession by the grim reaper and a massive winged angel would be to wake your husband by yelling, "OH MY GOD, WAKE UP CHARLIE (or whatever his name might be)!

So sorry to hear of your husband's present health situation but as he was, I assume, healthy during this occurrence, waking him would seem to have been the natural reaction. I have a feeling you had a very vivid dream.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: