You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Curious Ghost Or A Relative Who Wants To Say Hi

Real Ghost Stories

Curious Ghost Or A Relative Who Wants To Say Hi

 

There were a couple of ghost experiences I had in my life time, but the one that I'm about to share happened to me in January of 2014, and it's the most recent one that I can fully remember.

During this time I was still living with my mom, older sister and brother. I came home from work at 6:30 pm, and the two people that are usually at home around that time are my sister and mother. At that time my brother worked afternoon shifts, so he wouldn't be home until midnight.

When I walked through the front door, my sister (let's call her Jan) was sitting on the couch watching television, and my mother was in the kitchen talking on her phone. I said hello and walked passed her to go to my bedroom, and I opened up my door and walked in. My room wasn't entirely dark, I have blinds on my windows that were open and there's a street lamp right outside on my neighbor's front lawn and it casts a glow into my room. I have a overhead lamp that was not working due to having an electrical issue, so I would have to use my lamp that was on my bedside table.

While I was walking towards my lamp, to my left was my closet and to my right was my bed. Right when I was about to reach for my lamp to turn on the light, I suddenly jumped because I saw to my left a figure standing right by my bedside table. The left side where my closet is located wasn't too dark, but I could still make out a figure. I stood there staring at it. I could see an outline of a head, shoulders, and a torso just standing there and I could just sense something "there", and it wasn't an evil presence either.

I was thinking to myself, "Is this my brother? Is he trying to scare me?" Then I remembered that he wasn't at home, so it couldn't have been him... Plus he hasn't pulled a prank like this on me since we were kids. I became scared. I suddenly decided to gather enough courage to slowly put my hands towards it to see if I can feel anything, and while I was doing that the figure suddenly vanished. That's when I ran out of my room into the living room to tell "Jan" what had happened.

Right after I told her, she had a look on her face that gave me chills. I asked her why she looked upset and she told me that the other night our brother had seen something similar. She told me that when he woke up during the night, still half asleep, he thought he saw someone standing at the foot of his bed, and it started to lean in towards him. He was kicking his feet, but couldn't feel anything. He grabbed his phone to use the flashlight feature, and when he turned it on it was gone.

This happened mid-January and I could only think of one explanation... My father died at the end of January of 2003, so I believe it was him paying a visit. This never happened before, nor did this happen again. I just have a feeling that he wanted to stop by to say hello to us.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JLynn87, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-29)
Anno_Domini - Incidents happen and they pass. Bearing a grudge is such a burden. I do at times step on some toes but being malicious is not part of my make-up.

I read your profile page a long time ago and I respect your point of view. I tend to read people's profile pages - I'm the inquisitive type!

Regards, Melda
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-28)
Melda, I'm really glad we've moved past that "incident". Thanks for commenting on my post. Personally, as a Christian I don't believe that the souls of the dead return after death, whether incarnation, visits or otherwise. They will complete their journey elsewhere (please see my profile for more detail).

So from my perspective, these interactions mean that something else is trying to convince us of a link between the deceased and the activity.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-25)
I agree with Melda - A.D.'s father may have manipulated the doorbell because it was all he could do. Granted, it is also possible that the doorbell was malfunctioning. I think it is entirely possible that what the OP saw was a deceased relative as it gave her no fear.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-23)
Anno_Domini - I have just realised that the OP will not participate. So be it.

As far as I am concerned, this leaves us open to comment on each other's comments!

I take a slightly different perspective on what you related about your dad. Possibly simply because he would not have done those things in life, it might have been his way of drawing attention to himself. Something was there, why not your dad?

I too believe that those who have passed on will more than likely retain their personalities and habits so that those who are left behind will recognise their presence.

If he had tried to attract attention in his normal day to day way of life prior his death, it is possible that none of you would have noticed. Placing myself in that situation, if nobody noticed me, sheer frustration would drive me to do something uncharacteristic to ensure that somebody took heed!

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-23)
JLynn - Oh come on, seriously, you won't participate? I always forget to read the section where it states whether OPs will participate or not.

If you truly want feedback on your experience, it's so easy, simply respond to the comments!

Regards, Melda
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-23)
Hi JLynn87, it's hard to say what it was, but I feel that it may not be a visiting relative.

If this activity continues or intensifies (acknowledging the fact that the last instance was in 2014), please let us know!

When my dad passed in 2007, for the next week or so our doorbell (hardwired, not battery operated) kept going off, only for us to find that there was no-one there. Sometimes I'd be near the door and will open it literally within 3-5 seconds, but we never found anyone there (the bell button was just on the door frame outside our home). As time went by the frequency fell and it stopped altogether after a couple of weeks.

In retrospect it couldn't have been my dad as he never rang the doorbell whilst alive (he had the keys), and there's no significance to it either (he wasn't the type to prank us). I think if we ignore it and go on with out lives whatever that's causing it would stop.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-23)
JLynn87 - If it was your father, I think you were very fortunate. Do you ever see him and talk to him in dreams?

I would love to see my late mother and sisters actually standing in front of me, but I only see them in dreams. The only apparitions I see are strangers 😢 Many years ago, when I was about nine years old, approximately six months or so after my father's death, I was convinced I saw him. However, in hindsight, it might have been a dream.

Did your brother think that the apparition was your father?

Regards, Melda
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-22)
I must admit that waking up and seeing a figure in the room is something that would frighten me no end.
It seems to be a rather common experience and although I don't want to have it happen, I would love to know what is going on.
Was this the only time you or your brother saw such a thing?
Thanks for sharing, L

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: