You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: House With The Purple Porch

Real Ghost Stories

House With The Purple Porch

 

When I was about six years old, my family and I moved into a five bedroom home in south Omaha Nebraska. This part of town was well known to be super sketchy. In all honesty it wasn't the greatest place to raise a family, however my family wasn't the richest and the rent was cheap and the house was big.

Before we get into the actual paranormal part I want to explain what the house looked like. We had a steep hill before the house that lead to three or four stairs. These stairs lead to the purple porch. The front door lead into the living room. Staring straight ahead, you would see the entrance to the kitchen and a set of stairs that went to the right. From the living you could turn left down a hallway. The hallway lead to 4 of the bedrooms and one bathroom. Now for the upstairs. At the top of the stairs I described earlier there was a window (keep this in mind for later) to the left was the fifth bedroom and to the right was an open area that we used as a second family room. (later on the upstairs became my aunt's "place" she came to live with us and she resided up there. Now that you have an idea of what the house looked like I can get on with the spooky.

This house had three spiritual entities, or ghosts. There was an elderly woman who sat at the window and the top of the stairs, and elderly man who resided in the basement, and a little girl about ten years old. I never really came into contact with the man downstairs due to the fact that there was really no reason for me to go down there. Now the other two, the little girl more so, I had several encounters with.

We will start with the man. My mom thought that when this elderly couple was alive (way back when... Back when there were plantations) this man had a workshop in the basement. She thought this because the basement had a heavy smell of wood working. Now this man was definitely not harmful but he didn't want anyone down in the basement. It was his space and anyone who went down there knew it. That's really all I have on the old man.

Onto the elderly woman. Like I said before she sat at the top of the stairs in front of the window. I had one interaction with her that chilled me. The fifth bedroom upstairs was my playroom before my aunt moved in. One night I asked my mom if I could have a little sleep over in my playroom. I don't know why I wanted to do this I was a weird kid. She said yes and tucked me in my little sleeping bag in the bedroom. Well she went into the family room right down the hall from me. As I was laying there trying to sleep I got this weird feeling as if someone was watching me. I brushed it off like I usually do and started to fall asleep. Then, I kid you not, I heard a woman's sing-song voice say "Hanna, come here baby" I thought it was my mom since she was in the room down the hall. I got up and went to her and asked what she wanted. Obviously she was confused as to why I thought she needed me. I explained to her that I heard her call for me and she denied it. At this point my whole body was filled with chills and I insisted on going back to my room to sleep.

Finally I will talk about the little ghost girl named Sara. Sara was maybe ten years old, and I played with her all the time. I would even talk to her. I don't remember this but my mom told me that she would see me running around the house and when she asked me what I was doing I would reply with "oh just playing with Sara" of course my mom just brushed it off as an imaginary friend. She would later learn that that wasn't the case.

One time I was laying on my bed watching the Disney channel. My tv was at the end of my bed so I would lay on my stomach facing the tv. Well I distinctly remember having my light on while watching my show. (Keep in mind that when I get into a show that's the only thing my mind focuses on. I zone out) well when the tv went to commercial and I came out of tv-coma I realized that my light and been turned off. I went out and asked who had done it and my mom and her husband both denied it. My younger sister was way too short to reach the switch as well.

When we were moving out of this house I asked my mom if Sara could come with. My mom jokingly said "tell her to pack the light."

After me telling my mom about Sara she started to think that maybe she was more than an imaginary friend. After we moved out of the house my mom researched anything regarding the house and deaths that may surround it. The most chilling thing she found was that a little girl named SARA died near the house from a car accident. How she got attached to the house is beyond us. But to this day I still have dreams about her.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hannagrace2017, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousNEwoman (14 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-13)
Hannahgrace2017- I am super new to this site... Been spending the last 4 days and nights reading stories. I have always been fascinated with ghosts and the supernatural. I believe the only one in my family that is... The curiosity I have about I've had since I was like 7-8 reading ghost stories then... Even ghost comics. Anyway I did like your writing- and living in NORTH Omaha myself- I understand what you said about south omaha. It's a poorer side and primarily Hispanics live in the area. So there are many superstitions and cultural idealism there.
I think "sara" was lonely. Attached herself to the house maybe because of the grand motherly older woman spirit that lived there already. As the older woman spirit seemed caring and "motherly". But I am absolutely no expert. I just have an opinion I thought might be worth sharing! ❤
Peace be with you.
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-23)
I wonder if Sara was lonely... Maybe as a child, you were more 'open' to contact with her. Now that you are older, perhaps your conscious mind has set up more barriers, so the only way she can keep reach you is through your dream-state.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-01)
Maybe Sara was confused after the wreck and 'wandered' over to the house. Maybe she liked the purple porch too?

Odd you're still dreaming of her, maybe she did come with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: